[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what makes a good whetstone/sharpener? I'm about to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

So what makes a good whetstone/sharpener?

I'm about to buy one and goddamn im so lost,
Also lets talk about sharpening technique. How do you do it?
>>
I just use a generic waterstone from the hardware store. Put it on a bit of friction mat on a tabletop, wet it and the knife and just diagonally pass it over at an angle like you're trying to shave the top of the stone off. 10-20 passes each side. Push from the shoulder, keep the wrist steady and the angle consistent. If I'm out or away from a table and for some reason need to resharpen I wet both surfaces and just try to pass it over freehand a few times. Does the job fine and for 90% of applications it'll probably be all you're gonna need (with some practice).
>>
Edge of your car's window, underside of a ceramic mug. You can also those 2-part keychain sharpeners on ebay for cheap but these are really only appropriate for V grinds.
>>
>>923296
Are you me? Unglazed ring around the bottom of my coffee cup is what i use at home, top of car window is what i use when in the car. Reminds me, i should hone again...
>>
>>923218
Sand paper from the hardware store.

The most inexpensive opition and it give an edge just as sharp, particularly if would start with a course grit and work your way to the finest grit

Works better then cheap some Whetstone's.
>>
>>923218
nigga just buy a sharpmaker or lansky and enjoy sharp as fuck knives with no bullshit required.
>>
>>923218

Go to the river and find two of the flat rocks you can find. Rub the two together for a shit load of time. You will get such an amazing stone that way. Mike from MCQbushcraft suggested it, said it was the best stone he ever used. Gave it a shot and he was right. If not using that stone, I use a wide range of dif grit stones from naniwa.
>>
>>923296
>car windo

Cheap ass backtard, you do this or talking meme shittalker?

Of course marginal, but:
>$359/side window
>vs. $20 diamond stone

Cheapass memetalker.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.