[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inc h-x-80-inch-wool-blanket

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: image_13646.jpg (267KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_13646.jpg
267KB, 1200x1200px
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-x-80-inch-wool-blanket-92625.html

Opinion on these blankets? I own four, keep one in my car, and take two with me anytime I go camping.

Saved my ass when temps dropped to low 30's in the dessert night instead of the usual 50F.
And kept me dry during a 2 day non-stop drizzle. Sat outside near the fire, never got wet, and the fire dried up the blanket well.
I dont even bother with a mattress when I plan on packing light, just fold one in half, and sleep on it.
>>
I've tried to find those on multiple occasions but my local HF never has them. I know they're cheap matted rat hair but if I can just inspect one in person before I buy I'd feel better about it. I don't want anything that'll fall apart or make too much of a mess.
>>
I used one for about a year on emt shift. It's about as warm as a comforter at about 1/4 the size, and 1/3 the weight. But I found it a bit too itchy. Usually ended up putting a sheet between me and it.

Also would have preferred it to be another foot longer, so I didn't have to be in the fetal position to form a proper cocoon.
>>
>>922607
My HF has a whole rack of them in stock. Its cheap, its itchy, but its durable. Its edges are sawed well, and it has not ripped for me.
>>
>>922601
They are itchy as fuck, which is why they are so cheap. However, they are also warm as fuck. Get a bed sheet to match it, one large enough to fold over the edge or sew 2 sheets together. Personally, I'll be buying 2 of those and sewing them together then sewing on buttons and sewing a couple sheets together and buttoning the sheet to the blanket. Then I'll have a 120"x80" non-itchy blanket that I can fold over if I wish (my bed is 48"x96".)

I'll also stuff one in my truck. I don't have any now, someone pilfered mine.
>>
>>922601
how does the waterproofing work? I was reading about swanndri bush shirts and they claim to be good against rain, but I don't see how. Does the water bead up? Do you get kinda damp but stay warm? It seems that with outdoors gear "waterproof" has many different meanings to many different people/companies.
>>
>>922645
Wool gets soaking wet and heavy, but has hollow fibers and also resists collapsing. Thus, there's still insulation working.
>>
>>922645
Where are you reading that it's water proof?
>>
>>922651
>kept me dry during a 2 day non-stop drizzle.
>>
>>922650
Wool also contracts and moves when wet, generating heat and producing temperatures in the fibers up to 8% above surrounding air temp. Synthetics don't do that.
>>
>>922653
A thick cotton coat can do that if it's a lite drizzle while next to a fire.
>>
>>922653
I sat mostly outside under a single blanket near a fire watching the clouds go by. The blanket was heavy with water, but the underside was completely dry.
>>
>>922645
harbor frieght wool blankets are a wool blend and the rest im pretty sure is cotton. so you arent going to get the properties of a pure wool blanket. its going to absorb water
>>
>>922708
or not absorb water. whichever is the cotton thing
>>
File: comfy pepe.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
comfy pepe.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
Mfw Sierra Trading Post had these $160 Faribault blankets for $59.95 right before Christmas and I bought one before they went out of stock:

http://www.faribaultmill.com/products/pure-simple-wool-blanket-olive-green?variant=4292418372

It's the same blanket that Dave Canterbury sells on his site for $175:

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.com/products/100-wool-blanket?variant=24814922625
>>
>>922708
>>922709
>A mixed blend of 80% wool and 20% polyester
I'm pretty sure you're full of shit.
>>
>>922601
Good deal when in stock
https://www.majorsurplus.com/80-wool-blanket.html
>>
>>922653
This is certainly bullshit.

Contrary to popular superstition, wet wool is not a significantly better insulator than wetted versions of various synthetics. It is better than non-treated down as water at atmospheric pressure doesn't penetrate its fibers, but that is also true of silica aerogel fibers, ceramic fibers, etc etc. This property decreases in shorn wool over time as the lanolin is slowly worn away due to use and laundering. In any case even freshly shorn wool doesn't resist water penetration into its fibers better than the various Thinsulates, Silica aerogel fibers, or carbon black polys.

Wool does generate heat from hydration but it most certainly does not gain 8% over ambient. The effect is also very short lived.

Wool has plenty to recommend it for use in an /out/ environment, but it is not magic and quite a bit of what has been written about it is not borne out by reality. I wear it in dry environments because it resists fire better than synthetics, I can wear it as a single layer, it wicks well, dries quickly, and is fairly durable. If I need light weight or I know I am going to be wet, I go with something else.
>>
>>922790
>wet wool is not a significantly better insulator than wetted versions of various synthetics

Scientifically it is though.
>>
>>922796
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.de/2012/03/does-wool-keep-you-warm-when-wet.html
No.
>>922790
Pretty much.

I'll just add that wearing pretty much anything thick and water retentive enough can keep one dry if the rain is so light that water evaporates as fast as water is added. Be around a fire or generate body heat and it may work.
>>
>>922809
>written by someone that has never swam in icy water with and without wool before
>>
>>922816
>I use wool to swim in icy water
Not the typical use case friend.
Besides, wearing anything in the water will help, not because of insulation (soaked fabric has a heat conductivity very close to water) but because convective heat loss is reduced by keeping warm water around you.
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 232x160px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 232x160px
>>922809
>blogspot
>>
>>922829
>seminole basket weaving board
>>
>>922601
good car blanket

I still have my father's old grey wool RCMP blankets from when he lived at detachments in the 60's, those kinds are super expensive now. Just can't justify hundreds for a point blanket!
>>
>>922809
So what this guy is saying is it's better to be naked than in wet wool? That doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>922829
>>922816
If you don't like his source, find a better one. The subject of wet wool has come up time and time again on this board and it's the only thing resembling a scientific test that I can find.

Your anecdotal evidence isn't worth much either. I've personally been rather cold when wearing wet wool (Swanndri coat with a jersey underneath) and been warm when wearing wet synthetics. At least the synthetics dried quickly.
>>
File: Chin.jpg (44KB, 569x293px) Image search: [Google]
Chin.jpg
44KB, 569x293px
>>922929
lrn2use google scholar, kid
>>
>>922737
i made no explicit claim you fucking autist, i was telling him to have caution.
>>
>>922865
>Reading comprehension
It's better than wearing soaking wet wool that is kept wet through the magic of experiment design. If you don't believe it, soak your sweater and wear it like that. Just don't let your mom find out and ground you for being so silly.
Btw. this is the actual comparison of wool vs. synthethics
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.de/2012/11/fleece-vs-wool-insulation.html
>>
Wet wool is a poor insulator - FACT
Synthetics will dry far faster than wool - FACT
Synthetic Holofibre fill is far warmer than wool on a weight for weight basis - FACT
Wool, particular wet wool, is significantly heavier than comparable synthetics - FACT
Synthetics will melt due to heat - FACT
Wool will burn and singe due to heat - FACT
Wool resists odour causing bacteria - FACT
Synthetics can be washed with anti-bacterial detergents to remove the smell - FACT
Synthetics are more resistant to shrinkage than wool - FACT

Some facts there, personally i like wool for casual wear, but synthetics 100% for proper outdoor use.
>>
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Value-Blanket/51213228

I've got one of these and I love it. Its not really itchy, just a little scratchy when you're wrapped up in it, but its well worth the money.
>>
>>923905
fag - FACT
>>
>>923905
Curious about some sources on these. When people say synthetic, what do they mean? How do you know if a synthetic is quality or not, because I'm sure not all are of the same quality?

Wool makes me feel cozy and happy, but I'm not immune to reason.
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20KB, 493x402px
>>924026
AWWSHIT
>>
>>922601
These are what they give us in jail... :/
>>
File: 1413708835945.png (10KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1413708835945.png
10KB, 500x500px
>>924205
a-are you in jail now friend? you can have 4chan time with your good boy points?
>>
>>923905
Regarding the heat thing, wool will stand slight contact with hot objects or sparks much better than (most) synthetics, you're not giving it enough credit there.
All the rest is correct.

Also, not a fact, but a common observation that needs better examination: wool seems to keep people more comfortable at different temperatures or states of exertion, while they often complain about synthetics causing excessive sweating in such a situation.

>>924134
>What do you mean about synthetics, do you know which kind of synthetics, do you even have a PhD in organic chemistry?
>All wool is the same
Just for your info, there are reputable brands and product names for quality synthetic fabrics and insulations out there.
>>
>tfw Europe
>can get surplus Italian, Swiss and Austrian blankets for €15
>made from super comfy wool
>>
>>924221
OK but instead of being mad, answer the question. I wasn't arguing, I'm trying to understand.
>>
>>924231
>Sources
Do it yourself, it's all over the internet. You'll understand there will be no one source for a bunch of really significant and obvious properties.
>Quality
Brands. Reviews. Brands of the materials. There's a reason everyone and their mother puts a goretex, polartec, primaloft etc. tag on their product.
>>
Not bad for 11.00 bucks. Is warm. There are some things you do and don't want to buy a Harbor Freight. You want disposable items like this blanket then it's HB. If you want power tools, then not HB. Use this blanket until it wears out and shit can it, buy another for $11.00 bucks. Don't wash it. The smell eventually goes away. I keep one in the car, and sometimes through one over the bed covers. I do have a couple of expensive wool blankets I got from Dave Canurbury's web site, but for general use you can't beat this blanket for its price, if somthing happens to it, get another one.
>>
>>924206
No I'm not in anymore, but seeing the OP pic gave me a flashback to a darker time in my life lol

As such, these could be magical flying blankets and I still wouldn't want one.
>>
>>924236
Okay, thanks anon.
>>
>>924226
I live in Colorado and my local military surplus carries those same blankets+US and south American mixed in for $20
>>
>>922601
they leave small fibers on your clothes and are itchy. fuck it though, cheap as fuck wool
>>
>>922618
Itchy wool can be dealt with by using an absurd amount of fabric softener.
>>
>>922601
I'd only want one in the case I was sleeping next to a fire because it won't really melt. I usually bring a kind of fluffier fleece blanket with me car camping. I find those really warm when I need it. fleece and wool are pretty close in both dry and wet insulation but fleece dries several times faster ( i want to say 8x but I can't recall now for sure). Then wool is also itchy
>>
File: la-china-smog10.jpg (2MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
la-china-smog10.jpg
2MB, 3888x2592px
Wool blankets like that are awesome! But I would personally never by them off the internet, only in person. That way you can make sure its decent quality.

There are HUGE differences between a cheaply made wool blanket and a quality wool blanket. The cheap ones suck so bad that they're not worth buying and if I know my Harbor Freight like I think I do, they are probably selling bottom of the barrel absolute crap blankets that are made in China and are highly carcinogenic.

Once I was in a Harbor Freight and the employees were opening up a bunch of boxes of product that had arrived straight from China and when they opened the boxes all of the Chinese air that was trapped in the boxes got out and it was like breathing in burning plastic and I got a headache that lasted all day.
>>
>>928047
What would be carcinogenic in a wool blanket?

Like wash it first before use, that goes for any clothing ever bought.
>>
Mate its 30s rn in Australia and it's boilin outside. What's wrong with you?
>>
I recently bought a wool blanket and the packaging had a warning saying contains shit the state of California recognized as causing birth defects. Is there anything to it or is it just some stupid warning?
>>
>>928504
Depends. Are you born already anon?
>>
>>922601
>saved my ass
>low 30s
Brah. I'd Be Breaking Out In A Sweat. Are you even a nord?
>>
>>922601
decent thick wool is just too heavy for the thermal insulation it provides. it can rot if it's wet sometimes it's a hassle to dry it out. almost impossible to wash it without ruining it.

i only use polar. very light excellent insulation packs smaller too.
>>
>>928827
This, -20 is cold, 0-32 is perfect winter outdoor temp.
>>
I think the shop of the german Bundeswehr sells very nice Things... just having some Kind of cheap Poncho of my own...

Bundeswehr shop or something like that
>>
never felt itchy using one so i guess thats good
>>
look on ebay for pendleton if you really want quality or just buy directly from pendleton
>>
I heard a bit about polar fleece, is It any good? I heard it's pretty water resistant, light and keeps heat well.
So if I decided to go full retard and decide to sleep in outdoors wrapped in polar flece blanket at around 0C or lower, would I be fine?
>>
>>922601
>saved my ass

Its not like you would have died or something if it weren't for a shitty blanket. Thats like -1C at the worst.

Its like saying you have the best best computer because it can run minecraft at 20fps.
>>
>>929918

Big generalisation there, there are meany different types of polar fleece out there. Normally they're sorted by "weight" of the fleece, going from around 100 (For base layers or light thermal linings) to about 400 (For heavy work wear fleece etc..)

Fleece is made out of 100% polyester, which doesn't absorb any water, because of this is dries very quickly compared to wool, which sucks the water into the fibres. If you have a thick enough layer of fleece over you then you could easily sleep at that temp. But it would need to be quite thick, making it bulky considering a cheap holofill bag will probably compact down to about half the space, and go down to 0 no problem. Fleece (and wool) are also not windproof, so would need some kind of outer fabric to stop windchill while you sleep.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.