[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/, I currently am planning a trip in January to somewhere

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

Hey /out/, I currently am planning a trip in January to somewhere in the United States, I am leaving from southern Wisconsin and would like to find a place to go about 15 or less hours away. I'll likely be dispersed camping the whole time so keeping it legal id need to be in a national forest or something of the sort. My question is are there any suggestions you guys have of places that are particularly unique, or beautiful in the winter? I was thinking George Washington National forest, but I am unsure of the location in winter as I have not experienced much of the mid south/south winters.
>>
>>922384
No suggestions from me, but I plan to drive through Jefferson National Forest (they're often grouped together) tomorrow and camp there one night instead of checking into a hotel. I'm not familiar with the area but am currently planning to just trek a few hundred yards into Mountain Lake Wilderness southeast of Kire, VA to camp.

OP if there's somewhere you want checked out give me a recommendation and if it's not too far off-course I could take some pics.
>>
>>922384
va here, it gets cold as shit in NOVA which is where GWNF is, so dress warm
>>
File: DSC_0679.jpg (4MB, 4608x3072px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0679.jpg
4MB, 4608x3072px
>>922384
Backcountry camping in GeeDub is great, but you're not supposed to do dispersed camping, except for in designated areas. People will report you and rangers are on tight lookout 24/7. Usually if you're off trail a few hundred meters you can get away with a few nights to a few weeks, depending on traffic, but just be careful. Don't want a ticket. Go visit humpback while you're there. It's beautiful (pic related) avd Old Rag if you get the chance (keep one of the opaque blue crystals that carpet the trail).
>>
>>922592
>dispersed camping
>designated areas
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5312424
>>
>>922652
I've never been interested enough to read into the laws but I've been camping in GW a few times, basically they just want you in a location with a fire pit. They're generally placed every 2 or 3 miles on trails. I'd recommend Stricklers Knob, there's a nice camp spot by a creek, and a decent rock scramble to the top of a pretty solid peak. The downside to most of VA is you'll almost always be looking down on a town but it's a nice spot and I've only seen one other person there on my 3 trips to the area. In January you should be alone.

Also, dress warm, real winter hasn't hit us yet in VA but in the mountains I'd say expect low 20s at night.
>>
>>922652
never been dispersed camping in a natl frst have you?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>922384
Not sure if you're up for the cold, but the black hills in South Dakota are magnificent and beautiful. They're also cold as shit though.

I've lived there for 4 years now. You can disperse camp just about anywhere, but even in the winter you're not supposed to have a fire. So you'll have to be off the grid a bit or find a way to keep your fires small and concealed.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>923343
>>
File: image.jpg (577KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
577KB, 1440x1080px
>>923344
>>
File: image.jpg (307KB, 1021x1361px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
307KB, 1021x1361px
>>923345
Cross country ski trip last January.
>>
File: image.jpg (426KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
426KB, 1440x1080px
>>923347
Last one also from January of last year in a different area. Doesn't show it well, but you can be in one area with only patches of snow like in this, but maybe 30 minute drive will take you to knee deep snow like the last pic.

Basically, you have variety that can accommodate what you'd like to experience.
>>
>>922766
What are you trying to say, friend?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.