[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

in what situations exactly, do you use a multitool while innawoods?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

in what situations exactly, do you use a multitool while innawoods?
i always see people recommending multitools to starting hikers but i don't see any use to them besides garage work..
>>
that's because they don't have any use besides garage work

t. knower
>>
File: IMG_1523.jpg (235KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1523.jpg
235KB, 1200x1600px
>>922308
Grippin feesh

Pliers do come in handy. And then you never know when you might need a screwdriver for some of your equipment. But a real knoife and a pair of needle nose pliers is always better.
>>
>>922308
If you're out with a vehicle like a dirtbike or ATV they come in handy with minor repairs. The pliers also make good tongs when using steel cookware (and of course the can/bottle opener comes in handy around lunch time). I've used mine as a tack-hammer to secure an axe head to it's handle. It's a jack-of-all, master-of-none; not ideal by any means but works well when you're away from your proper tools.
>>
>>922308
They have all sorts of uses, mostly however it's on man made stuff, fixing gear and the like. I don't tend to bring mine innawoods unless I'm not bringing anything else. In work where I'm dealing with all sorts of man made machinery and whatnots, it's invaluable, but in the woods or mountains where i'm there to enjoy nature, less so.

A very small multitool would be a perfect addition to a set of /out/ gear. When you've already got axe/saw/knife a full size one is a lot of weight for little use.
>>
The back of the Leatherman saw is a great striker for a ferro rod.
>>
File: 10-wave.jpg (23KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
10-wave.jpg
23KB, 600x600px
>>922308
> pliers
- taking hot pots/plats of the fire
- grab anything you can't hold with two fingers or would brake your finger nails
doing so
- press together a broken zipper
> scissors
- bandages
- threads hanging from apparel
- anything cutable a knife can't cut
> file
- file wood (great fire starter)
- knife sharpening (diamond side)
> saw
never used it, but I like it for ferro rods
> can opener
- caned food
> screw driver
- computer parts (bit kit)
- prying paint cans and tree sap (flat head)
- g-shock battery replacement (eye glass driver)
> serrated blade
- killing hippies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaWQuHJPq3M
>>
I bought a cs style. The one with scissors instead of pliers. It also has tweezers, a useless file, and a decent small folding blade. It's all I've ever used or needed from a Leatherman while truly /out/.

The tools you'll use the most are a knife/saw/axe. But I you'll be surprised how often scissors are more useful than a blade.
>>
>>922308

The pliers are great for pulling fishhooks out of things. Like fish. Or yourself. Or your friends.
>>
SCISSORS
>>
Leatherman wave or swisstool spirit?

I know what blade steel i get with the vic, but I don't like that it's bolted together. Does the 420 hc perform as good as that from buck or condor?
>>
File: zoolander.jpg (10KB, 650x289px) Image search: [Google]
zoolander.jpg
10KB, 650x289px
>>923080
>- press together a broken zipper

anon you just blew my mind
>>
>>923402

Vic steel has much better rust resistance than LM I find, I own both tools and frankly the only thing the Wave does better than the Spirit is the replaceable bits. Innawoods you're probably not going to need a torx screwdriver, so go for the Spirit if you have to choose between one or the other.
>>
>>923445
>anon you just blew my mind
What blows my mind is that my hiking buddy still hasn't replaced his jacked. Thinking about it, it's at least 2 years that the zipper is broken. But every second day hiking you can hear him say: "anon, can I have the leatherman I can't close my jacket".
>>
>>922308
Multitool looks like it's throwing gang signs
>>
>>922316
Yea dont do that. That fucks up the fishs lip which in turn fucks with their ability to hunt

Use the pliers to rip out a hook and grip their lip with your fingers unless your fishing pike or walleye (or some other sharp toothed bastard), in which case you grip them behind the gills

>>922308
If you dont fish or have any machinery with you ( sled, atv ect) you probably dont need one. I fish 90% of the time while out so i always have mine on me
>>
File: IMG_1138.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1138.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>925213
Those things are invaisive so they don't go back in the water alive anyway
>>
Whatever you do stay away from the small green Gerber ones, I tested how tight I Gould grip with the pliers and the thing bent and the blade came through and into the palm of my hand
>>
>>925221
Sunfish are invasive where you are? The first pic you posted is a common green...

Regardless if your keeping them out of the water i guess it doesnt matter
>>
for me
>using pliers to hold hot things from the fire
>cutting steel wire with the wire cutter (I have a little steel wire for repair and misc crafting stuff)
>scissors when I open certain food items
>knife and bottle opener for obvious reasons
>file can be used for field sharpening of other tools, or repair and misc tasks
>>
>>925223
I've never been in a situation where I need to grip pliers with all my strength. I don't even know which situation where this makes sense.
If you need to squeeze or crush things, surely there are better tools and options for that. your plier is not a vice grip either.
>>
>>925260
This

I always hear people bitching about their multitool pliers breaking, but even cheap shitty steel will hold up to the basic tasks these things are meant for. If you need to reef on it with all your might use a real pair of pliers
>>
File: leatherman_chargetti-knife.jpg (140KB, 1000x797px) Image search: [Google]
leatherman_chargetti-knife.jpg
140KB, 1000x797px
>>922308

You dont.

I recommend and carry multitools because its the best "just in case" tool you can have, and it also has a knife.

Multitools are crucial on expeditions and long travels where there's no civilization and gear that can break.
>>
>>925234
>Green Sunfish
Umm, are you in the US or Central America.

Pic related is a green sunfish that would be native to parts of the US.
>>
File: IMG_1580.jpg (18KB, 309x163px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1580.jpg
18KB, 309x163px
>>925894
Dammit, forgot pic
>>
>>922308

I use the needlenose pliers part of my multitool for picking up hot lids and other hot stuff. I also have used it for pulling out big burs that got stuck in my clothes.

I used the scissors for cutting a bunch of thorny burs out of my dogs fur that got stuck on the fur between his toes when camping once and we were hiking pretty far away from basecamp.

I use the bottle opener for opening bottles.

Even the best multitools suck horribly, but they are still better than nothing. I really don't want to carry a toolbelt full of tools with me all the time so its either a multitool or nothing. So I carry the multitool.
>>
>getting fishhooks out
>fixing the gas burner
>removing hot pots from the fire
>tightening eyeglasses screws
>manipulating wire for an array of uses
>can opening
>bottle cap lifting
>fooling around with when your bored
>>
>>922308
Personally I don't think they're worth the weight when Im backpacking. I'd rather have a sak because I don't see myself needing pliers.

But yea, probably more useful around your workbench or home or if you have something mechanical to maintain. Even something like an oar or trekking pole. Or things like folding chairs for car campers.
>>
File: IMG_4799.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4799.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
These trees fell in the middle of my trail I was on yesterday. I sawed the smaller limbs and continued on. I use my multi tool all the time.
>>
>>922308
>while /out/
None. Most tasks the multitool could solve, a SAK solves faster. Exception would be wire handling / cutting with the pliers - which does not happen while /out/ tbqh. Then again, having redundancy and options is noice.
>>
>>928146
Pliers are one of the most useful tools a person can carry in or /out/, full stop. If you need to press something together with more force than you can apply between your fingers, or if you have need to grip an object hotter than you can hold in your palms, pliers are the answer. If you can't think of reasons why this might come in handy in the outdoors, you pretty much have shit for brains.

And the locking blade and implements on a Leatherman makes it much nicer to use for just about any task than a fucking Swiss Army Knife. I have little clue why those things have the fanboys they do. The only thing you give up by going with a Leatherman is ligthness.
>>
>>928146
>>928259
The SAK in question is an older Trekker (104g), so it is one of the bigger ones and lockable already. It still does most things better and faster but lacks the pliers. Your scenario might be different, but they see little use while /out/. E.g. when my trusty trangia cooker is around, there always are pot pliers (48g) going with it. So the multitool (165g) most of the time awaits things the aforementioned can't handle - stowed away in its pouch. Things would look a bit different if i'd fumble around with snare wire regularly.
>>
File: P1070828-2016-02-17 (Medium).jpg (60KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P1070828-2016-02-17 (Medium).jpg
60KB, 1024x768px
>>928275
>Your scenario might be different,
I think that's the point. Pliers are great for fixing things if you have any kind of equipment at all that might give you trouble (I mean things like snowshoes, skis or frame packs, not just ATVs and mountain bikes). It's also amazing the uses you can find for a bit of bailing wire besides fixing all the things that duct tape can't.

Picture related, one recent time my Leatherman came in handy.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.