[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you bring with you spices, oil and where you keep them? Also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20161230_225258.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161230_225258.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
Do you bring with you spices, oil and where you keep them? Also what kind of oil/fat and what spices are a must for you? Even tho there are some old and slow as fuck food threads i think this discussion deserves its own thread.
My set:
Extra virgin olive oil in a small travel set spray bottle which you can buy in cosmetics shops and some hardware shops.
6 spice rack containing salt, pepper, paprika, curry, chili, garlic. About to change out curry and paprika to rosemary and maybe thime because rosemary for steak and thyme for fish. Hate cheap curry spices they taste like shit anyways
>>
>>921560

What do you need oil for? Are you going to fry something? What kind of meat can you take with you that won't spoil? Unless you're hunting I don't really see the need. Especially if you have that modern coated cookware.
>>
>>922821

There's plenty of ways to preserve meat so it won't spoil while out, obviously. Oil is good for cooking any type of lean meat. Also depending on the oil it could be used for added flavor.

This is all ridiculously common knowledge.

Not to mention you can treat a majority of your tools with oil to prevent rust, so it's good to have in general.
>>
>>921560
who ghee here? best fat for camping
>>
>>922827
>ridiculously common knowledge

How do you pronounce the word "Yatala"? Around here that's ridiculously common knowledge.
>>
>>921560

Salt, peper, thyme, sugar in little resealable baggies. Depending on food I sometimes take a little bottle of olive oil and hot sauce.

>>922827
>Not to mention you can treat a majority of your tools with oil to prevent rust, so it's good to have in general.

Yeah apart from you're not going to be putting olive, sunflower or whatever oil on your knife, and you're not going to be putting food grade mineral oil on your food, either.
>>
>>922908

>comparing some dying hick language to the fact that bringing meat with you while camping is not impossible
>>
>>922945

>Yeah apart from you're not going to be putting olive, sunflower or whatever oil on your knife

Except people do and will continue to do so because it's convenient while on the trail for a few days.

Must be hard to wrap your head around the fact some things have multiple uses, eh?
>>
>>922963

>dying hick language

What language is that? Plz tell
>>
>>922966
If you're out on the trail for a few days you have no need to oil your knife. Because you'll be USING IT. And it doesn't just magically go rusty - only from neglect.

Multiple uses is a good concept, but using cooking oil on a blade is POOR PRACTICE because it degrades/rots.

Srsly wish this oil your carbon blade meme would be less overplayed. Heres' how you stop your knife from rusting:

>use it often
>dry it after use

aaaand that's it.
>>
>>922985

>has never processed food
>has never been near an ocean
>>
>>922985
>use it often
>it's a meme to sharpen your knife
>just use it
>dry it off
>because moisture causes rust amirite

You're not even pretending to be retarded.
>>
File: aussiecunt.jpg (151KB, 859x801px) Image search: [Google]
aussiecunt.jpg
151KB, 859x801px
>>922979

Guessing it's some bullshit abo word.

But then again I'm no expert on irrelevant meaningless bullshit.
>>
File: IMG-20161230-WA0000.jpg (2MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161230-WA0000.jpg
2MB, 4160x2336px
>>922821
Op here.
Im a fisherman and lets say cooking enthusiast. I love eating delicious even on trail so i use frying pan very often. I fry fish, wild mushrooms and other things i can gather. I usually take with me some veggies - for example 1 onion, 1 carrot, 2-3 potatoes. Sometimes when its cold i take meat with me but thats just for day camping and out cooking....
>>
>>922821
>what is cured meat?
>>
>>921560
I usually bring olive oil and coconut oil, both for extra calories. Coconut oil goes in oatmeal with breakfast, and olive oil goes with everything else (e.g. pasta, rice, dehydrated meals)
Also used to fry any fish that may be caught.
Somehow no matter what I put the oils in they always leak.

As for spices, yeah usually because the weight is negligible. Usually just a pinch of whatever is thrown in with meal bags before trip.
>>
All you need is Tang and peanut butter.

I knew a guy in prison that lived on it for a month just to prove he could.
>>
>>928400

I'm a big fan of the 'tang myself.
>>
File: 1476293859170.jpg (85KB, 960x717px) Image search: [Google]
1476293859170.jpg
85KB, 960x717px
>>921560
>evoo
>for cooking
Nigga unless you're eating a salad /out/ ditch the olive & go for something more heat tolerant. Peanut or coconut. Also from the look of your pic you got some jew evoo. Extra virgin has a green tinge to it
>>
File: Oowl.jpg (94KB, 326x480px) Image search: [Google]
Oowl.jpg
94KB, 326x480px
>>921560
>>928297
I would guess most oils are too viscous for a spray pump - would use same bottle / size w/o pump but simple screw-on lid.

As for spices, i carry salt, pepper and chili in a triple container like in op's pic. As this thing weighs next to nothing, it's even EDC.
>pic related: people's fw i pop it out in restaurants because they only have chili for children.
>>
File: IMG_1094.jpg (763KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1094.jpg
763KB, 1000x750px
>>921560
You bet your ass OP, I take both with me every time. It's obviously not a necessity but it does make a HUGE difference in how foods come out tasting. Example, it steps squirrel meat the fuck up, tastes a lot better. Same with catfish.

As for what's a must for me, in the oil department I just use olive oil, sometimes if I'm cheeky I'll take roasted garlic olive oil. When it comes to spices, Salt, garlic, and pepper are really key for me. I like a little paprika on the side, and under some circumstances I will bring steak seasoning instead of garlic powder. '

>>922821
>what do you need oil for?
Well, first off you can fry shit, yeah, so that's a nice little treat. But it's also quite useful all around, it makes cleaning out your cooking pans / containers quite a bit easier since there's not a ton burned to whatever material you're using to cook, and as >>922827 said, it's another way to help out tools, albeit this is sort of a SHTF scenario in my eyes because I clean / maintain all my gear when I get back home.
>>
>>921560
if i was making a little 6 spice holder like in ops pic:
1) season all
2) old bay
3) lemon pepper
4) dill
5) basil
6) cinnamon w/ sugar
>>
>>922989
I live 120m from the Irish sea, you can walk uninterrupted from my back door to the surf

I light fires on the beach, I fish, cook food and use a carbon steel Opinel #8 for most of it.

Guess what? wipe it clean, let it dry and no rust. It's got a nice dark patina but that's it. No issues whatsoever....
>>
>>922985
You only go /out/ for a few days? Shit, I rarely go /out/ for less than a few weeks. Yeah, you probably don't have to worry about keeping your knife clean; you probably also don't have to worry about bathing or needing more food than you can carry on you.
>seriously, get /out/ more.
>>
>>931295
>>
>>931309
lol. Any season, any enviroment, my friend; I'll outlast you with half your pack weight.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.