[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the most useful knots to know? I can tie a square

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

File: Savoy_knot.png (1MB, 1896x636px) Image search: [Google]
Savoy_knot.png
1MB, 1896x636px
What are the most useful knots to know?

I can tie a square knot and a noose. Anytime I want to learn I see a list of like 100 and I give up. Are there 3-5 basic ones that I should know for survival or other essential situations?
>>
Bo-line
Figure eight (and variations)
Clove hitch

You can do most any utility with these. Source? Firefighter for 7 years, and these are the only ones I've ever used or needed in the field.

Some people go all out and learn 60 different knots, but they're most certainly not faster at making the three I listed, and their application serves the same purpose.
>>
Truckers hitch
>>
>>920685
clove hitch, bowline, overhand , butterfly knot
>>
>>920689
truckers hitch is a method not a knot
>>
File: 1st bolt on p4.jpg (2MB, 1728x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1st bolt on p4.jpg
2MB, 1728x2304px
>family of 8s
>clove hitch
>overhand on a bight
>double fishermans
>prussik

those are the ones i know blindfolded, and literally trust my life to.
>>
>>920688
This guy knows whats up.
I'd probably add truckies hitch, and lashings that is everything that you'll ever need.
>>
>bowline

The "channellock" of knots. In short it's never the right tool for the job.
>>
Haha funny, I was thinking about starting this thread not two minutes ago.

My go to ones are:

Buntline hitch - love this bad boy
Taut line hitch
Truckers hitch
Blakes hitch

Sheet bend
Zeppelin bend
Fisherman bend

Square (reef) knot
Canadian jam knot
Bowline knot

And of course, the marlin spike hitch, which I learnt for hammock tree straps but is quite useful for lots of applications - it basically lets you put a slip knot into the middle of a line as long as you have some slack. I use it at the end of my guylines to attach to my pegs as it's quick and easier to make one handed.
>>
The ones I need most often are

clove hitch
bowline
figure 8

taut line hitch
prusik knot

clinch knot
>>
They ate called

>Tenderfoot Knots

For a reason.
>>
The Zeppelin Bend

The best bend I have ever come across
>>
>>920765
Nice pun, but actually true. Doesn't bind under tension, I find it particularly useful for small diameter cords.
>>
>>920693
Your a faggut not a homo
>>
>>920773
Kerrick Bend is best bend.
>>
>>920688
>>920694

boating enthusiast here. can confirm you can get by with these knots

would also add overhand is a good one to know
>>
>>920685
This one is a keeper. Make sure you get some sturdy hemp rope for it.
>>
>>921024
>>920688
>>920694
>>920745

Thanks all. So are certain knots better for certain applications or do you kinda just get a feel for them and then use based on circumstance. Total pleb here, love being innawoods but haven't seriously learned knots since cub scouts.
>>
File: 1432447561014.png (616KB, 446x508px) Image search: [Google]
1432447561014.png
616KB, 446x508px
>>920775
>>
>>920776
nope, read about it, way overrated, time to retire it and favor the Zeppelin bend
>>
>>921035
>So are certain knots better for certain applications

Absolutely. And certain knots are better for certain kinds rope/cordage/line than others. I don't even know where to begin with this.
>>
>>921266
>>921266

For sure! I remember trying to tie a taut line hitch in a certain type of rope, it did not hold. But the adjustable grip hitch did the job just fine. Then with another type of rope the adjustable grip hitch did not work and the taut line hitch did.
And don't get me started on Bungee cord, slipper, stretchable, it requires all sorts of its own knots.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-30-02-31-10.png (288KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-30-02-31-10.png
288KB, 480x854px
Other anons have already listed the knots i was gonna give except the constrictor. If you run android i have an app that will help you learn: Useful Knots. Pic related, a screenshot.
>>
>>920685
Just ones I use often:

Figure 8 (and variations)
double half-hitch
Palomar knot
surgeon's knot
double uni knot
eye splice
square knot

There are tons of other great knots in this thread. Remember that the type of line, rope or cordage AND the material it's made out of AND its diameter AND (sometimes) environmental considerations all affect a knot's strength and reliability. For example, the best climbing knots are usually not the best fishing knots, the best monofilament knots are not the best braided line knots, the best knots for Manilla are not always the best knots for synthetic kernmantle ropes, etc.

Something that's not knots, but related and super useful to know are tangle-free ways of wrapping rope and cord, as well as how to make quick deployable/release cordage. The butterfly coil (and variations) is super useful, as is the crossing-over "fast rope" wrapping method (I don't know if it has a universal name). The chain sinnet can also be useful. Being able to wrap so that you can deploy any length of rope instantly with no snags should be one of the first 5 things taught to anyone learning knots.

Also learn the Swiss seat. It comes in really handy every once in a while
>>
File: images.png (3KB, 106x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
3KB, 106x183px
http://www.animatedknots.com

Everything you need to learn knots.

You don't need to know a lot. Many knots are just different knots that accomplish the same task.

The ones I use most are-

Zeppelin bend- joins 2 ends of rope together

Bowline- makes a fixed loop in the end of a rope

Half hitch- quick way to tie off an end of a rope. Can do 2 half hitches to secure the knot, or make a slippery half hitch for quick release.

Prusik knot- very useful in many ways to make a secure knot under tension that can be moved when loose.
>>
>>921250
The carrick bend is good to know because it's the start of the lanyard knot.
>>
>>921279
good app but it's bad manners to shill non-free software faggot
>>
>>921293
that's great and all but it makes a shit bend for actual use. The zeppelin bend is pretty quick to tie and doesn't bind.
>>
>>920745
>Canadian jam knot
>I had not heard of this one.
>Go to google to learn new knot.
>Its just an Arbor knot.

This is the knot I use to attach fishing line/backing to all my reels.
>>
>>921327
Yeah but the lanyard knot makes good lanyards

If you want a truly useless knot, it's the sheepshank.
>>
>>921303
>non-free software
Screenshot is from the free version. Only difference from paid version is it has ads (but the app works offline, and when there's no data there are also no ads).

It's bad form to talk shit without having done sufficient research to back your premise.
>>
>>921458
i already had the app and knew about the ads, that's why i called it non-free software. don't take the malicious tone seriously, it wasn't. are you the developer?
>>
Oh murr, knot :3
>>
>>921421
you're moving the goal posts.

regardless of whether it's good for a lanyard as we were talking about bends used as bends - ie to tie two pieces of rope together

point is if you wanted a bend you wouldn't go for the carrick you'd go for something else.
>>
>>920685
Adding to some of the other essentails posted ITT:
Butterfly knot
Munter Hitch
Girth Hitch

>>920694
clove hitch is GOAT, I use it for everything

>>921024
This is cool, but what are some practical applications for it? Do you use it as a stopper on a line or for adding tension points?
>>
>>920775
fucking destroyed
>>
>>920732
>i've never been near the water or outside
I would add a cleat hitch
>>
>>921571
monkey's fist is used for throwing lines or creating decorative doorstops
>>
>>921586
cool, never know when I'll need a decorative doorstop while innawoods
>>
File: 640px-Grief-knot.jpg (48KB, 640x328px) Image search: [Google]
640px-Grief-knot.jpg
48KB, 640x328px
>>921537
The thread is about useful knots in general, and you seem to be taking it a bit too seriously.
>>
File: bowlineR7.jpg (14KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
bowlineR7.jpg
14KB, 800x533px
>>920685
Bowline is best girl.

Square knot is shit, SHIIIIIT!
>>
>>921571
>This is cool, but what are some practical applications for it?
smacking your little brother
>>
>>921595
Not really,

>>920776
>Kerrick Bend is best bend.

Think about what you say. Theres LOADS of inexperienced sc/out/s here who might actually believe that, when in actual fact they'd be better served learning a different bend. That simple, son.
>>
>>920685
All these responses and no Double Fisherman's knot. Its like you people never needed to splice two lines together.
>>921595
And this one is a creeping shit knot that needs backup overhand knots, which defeats the purpose.
>>
>>921286
What is this a knot for ants?
>>
File: noose.jpg (153KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
noose.jpg
153KB, 667x1000px
>>920685
>>
>>921537
haha chill out
>>
>>921512
owo wats this
>>
Work as a firefighter and these are my go-tos on the job and in most situations

-overhand
-figure 8 (8 follow through, 8 on bight)
-bowline
-becket/sheet bend
-Flemish bend
-prussik
-clove hitch
-half hitch
-square

For fishing and camping/bushcraft I also like following
-fishermans knot
-uni
-perfection
-slip
-Canadian jam

I know there are some I'm forgetting too. The point being you can never know too many
>>
File: joke.png (10KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
joke.png
10KB, 500x414px
>>921981
It's called a grief knot. It's designed to untie itself. They're fun to tie and pull apart.
>>
>>922031
haha no u
>>
>>920685

Lately I've been using tautline hitches to keep my tarp tensioned overnight, but invariably they slip, leaving me with a saggy baggy tarp.

Is there an alternate knot that will hold better? Should I be using half-hitches to hold the tautline hitches?

inb4 bagging shit on paracord; it's what I've got to work with.
>>
>>921981
>no double fishermans
fifth response, dipshit >>920694
>>
>>922352
>inb4 bagging shit on paracord; it's what I've got to work with

I know you said this, but paracord as a dynamic cord will stretch over time, and it'll be more pronounced as it gets wetter.

I'd suggest make the small investment to a spectra / dyneema cord for ridgelines and tieouts. You don't cannibalize ridgelines etc so just make the small investment for some good quality cordage mate, you won't regret.

Keep the paracord for other applications, it has it's place.

As to your question, are you sure the knot is slipping? I'd always tie off a knot with an extra half hitch behind, there's no harm in doing so.
>>
File: ohyeah.jpg (14KB, 268x188px) Image search: [Google]
ohyeah.jpg
14KB, 268x188px
>>920685
Pic related is the only knot you need to know
>>
File: alsharpton.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
alsharpton.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
>>922498
>>
>>922388
>spectra / dyneema cord for ridgelines and tieouts
I agree paracord is the wrong cord for the job (its proper place is parachute shrouds) but he's not rigging a yacht. 4mm braided polyester is cheap and more than good enough.
>>
>>922715
Agreed, also, but buy once cry once. 3mm dyneema (kingfisher evo) is 99p/meter. Buy 6m length for your ridgeline, call it job done. That's what I did, anyway, and I've been using the same piece of cord for nearly 7 years now. Look at it like that and it's a tiny investment.
>>
>>920685
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozskWrDM-F4

good video
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.