[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to hike from the lower 48 to Alaska? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: tOIZc5w.png (721KB, 801x767px) Image search: [Google]
tOIZc5w.png
721KB, 801x767px
Is it possible to hike from the lower 48 to Alaska?
I've been wondering for a long time but never talked to anyone about it.
>>
>>920020
Why the fuck would it not be possible?
What do you expect? Some invisible wall you can't protrude like in a computer game
>>
>>920020
You'd have to take a boat or go through Canada. If you go through Canada you're going to want a hunting licence if you're bringing a gun because we don't let armed foreign nationals in for no reason even if they are from our most valued ally. If you're nogunz you won't have any bureaucratic issues. either way hiking through Northern BC/Alaska is going to be rough and I'd recommend going north to south if you want to do it all in one shot because winter is going to be a problem if you're hiking up from the south given how much distance you'll have to cover.
>>
>>920024
Impassable forest or mountains or rivers or some other shit that is extremely hard to hike over?
>>
>>920055
>as if this isn't the reverse of how all the Americas weren't populated

Op, pls read a book.
>>
>>920055
Yea, the canadian border, the moment you set foot over that line, moose riding on canadian geese will assualt you and beavers will begin building a wall around you in order to turn you into maple syrup like in that movie with killer clowns from space
>>
>>920055
At least three spider webs and a fallen log in the way, so pretty much impassable for you.
>>
File: 1481928970186.jpg (37KB, 584x550px) Image search: [Google]
1481928970186.jpg
37KB, 584x550px
>>920055
>impassable forest
Take an axe?
>impassable mountains
Take some rope?
>impassable river
Learn to fucking swim, take floaties, 6ou should have rope for all those impassable mountains.

>I'm a huge pussy who doesn't go outside ever and was wondering what it's like in the real world: The Post.

This thread is dildos.
>>
I'm not OP but this hike interests me. Anybody here done it?
>>
>>920058
>>920162
impassable does not mean "it is physically impossible to move beyond this point" it means it is extremely difficult and overall impractical. take a look at a topographical map of the cascades, you can't just fucking hike over a mountain range I don't care how much you fantasize yourself to be a rugged bushcraft mountain man, people don't just walk over fucking mountains
>>
>>920189
I've driven it a few times. It's a very nice drive, lots of wildlife.
>>
File: twobears.jpg (76KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
twobears.jpg
76KB, 960x540px
>>920137
underrated post. kek.
>>
>>920024
That's called Canada.
Fucking tism
>>
>>920289
>people don't walk over mointains

Explain to me Peruvians and how they got there?
>>
>>920024
>protrude
And you're trying to call someone else a moron?
>>
>>920317
theres quite a few theories about how humans dispersed in the new world. The most accepted theory out there is that humans followed the coastline and dispersed inland from the western coasts. Like I said, "impassable" does not mean "there is no possible way to go there" it means its very very difficult and impractical for nearly every situation in our day and age. Humans could have crossed the cascades, they came from Siberia, crossed the bearing land bridge during peak glaciation of our last ice age, they were very adept at extreme arctic conditions. We are not paleolithic arctic hunter gatherers, we are post industrial humans, we don't have generations of survivalism in the planet's harshest conditions, we grow up in cities. Humans have also summited Everest, but the Himalayas are by all practical means, impassible. Not impossible to cross, but impassible. Again, you are not a rugged survivalist mountain man, don't try to walk over fucking mountains because you have a fancy bushknife and jacket
>>
>>920340
>coastal migrants
This makes sense because they could not cross the Panama Canal, even with thousands of years of survival training.
>>
>>920055
If you can drive there, surely you can hike there.
>>
>>920289
As somebody who lives at the base of the north cascades, yes you can just walk over.

The thing about mountains is that they aren't one constant height. So you hike around them or cross at a lower spot...why does this need to be explained?
>>
>>920020
In theory yes, but you will have to apply for a Canadian travel Visa and right now we're considering tightening restrictions as it's our 150 year anniversary of confederation and everyone is on edge for destabilizing actions by the US. The relationship has been unstable ever since Britain set up Canada as a satellite and possible launching point for a US invasion in the 1800s.
>>
>>920378
the situation is further strained because we are technically still at war with the US and there is an obscure subsection in our constitution that maintains we are to invade at the slightest sign of vulnerability or suitable opportunity. Since this was written before both the Hague and Geneva conventions were are also technically free to use chemical and biological weapons as well as summarily execute any person deemed an enemy of the commonwealth regardless of the current state of war. So really you take your chances by passing through the border, regardless of having the proper paperwork.
>>
>>920378
>>920389
Quit acting like Canada has any military potential outside of shooing away moose you fucking Cancuck.

Nobody is scared, use whatever weapons you want your nation and it's people of faggot french origin will be extinct before you can say "What was that eh?"
>>
>>920361
I would tell you, but pass...
>>
>>920340
>don't try to walk over fucking mountains because you have a fancy bushknife and jacket
Don't forget the rope anon, he's got a rope.
>>
>>920378
>>920389
Visas I was kind of curious about that sort of thing too. It just seems like way too big of a distance to hike without having to scavenge food and I didn't think there were a lot of settled spots to stop off and resupply or anything. Canada would be more of a just passing through kind of thing I kind of figured due to politics you might have to fly in or take a boat.
>>
>>920038
Which areas of Canada would be the hardest to survive? Yukon or nwt? Wouldn't have to worry about nunavut
>>
>>920462
They're both the kind of places that will kill you if you make mistakes that would be minor elsewhere. Think of them as cold deserts.
>>
>>920395
Look at this stupid yank faggot replying to a LARP seriously.
>>
>>920485
Look at this faggot calling me a yank.
He thinks I'm a burger.
>>
>>920020
Why the fuck would you want to that's like 10 montha of constant hiking idiot
>>
>>920486
Ah so you're just a worthless flagposting spill-over.
>>
>>920489
>politely angry beaver detected

Don't worry I'm not offended, I wouldn't want you to get butt hurt about being rude to somebody.
>>
>>920487
I didn't say I wanted to. Just that I wondered about it before. Wonder how close to not possible it is.
>>
>>920476
>10/10 not saying cold desserts
>>
>>920476
Develop your hypothesis
>>
>>920503

Its possible to do it, but the scale of the task is unreal. From Vancouver, right on the coast, at the border to Dawson Creek, the southern end of the Alaska Highway is 1200 kilometers. And that get you a little over half way to the Yukon. Then you have to go across the Yukon to Alaska.

There is no hiking up the coast, its too broken up by inlets.

Not impossible, people did it. But fuck its it a huge distance.
>>
>>920631
I would far rather kayak the Inner Passage in my 16' Hobie Adventure Islands, trimaran sailing kayaks.
>>
File: ak_hwy.jpg (14KB, 350x217px) Image search: [Google]
ak_hwy.jpg
14KB, 350x217px
>>920503
>Wonder how close to not possible it is.
There is a paved highway the entire way.
>>
>>920020
Sounds cold
>>
>Take Amtrak to Bellingham Washington.
>Hike .5 mile from Train station to the Alaska Ferry terminal.
>Buy Ferry ticket.
>Board Ferry
>Spend a few days/nights on Ferry
>Depart boat at desired local in Alaska.
>>
>>923305
Technically that works, but it sure as shit isn't hiking.
>>
>>923308
1/2 mile from Amtrak to ferry terminal. Plus you'd be well rested by the time you got to Alaska.
>>
>>920462
I found it hardest to survive in Quebec. So many fucking French... If I only knew I'd stay in Europe where we keep them in one herd.
>>
>>923308
it's comfy as fuck though. I have friends in Juneau who I go visit every summer and the last two years I took the ferry and it was much more pleasant than an airplane, even though it took two days. But no, it's not hiking
>>
>>920289
>impassable does not mean "it is physically impossible to move beyond this point"
Yes it does mean that, actually.
>>
>>920020
In 1936-1937, two guys named Sheldon Taylor and Geoff Pope put a canoe in the Hudson River at the foot of 42nd Street and paddled/portaged to Nome, AK. I know that's not exactly what you're asking, but you get the gist.
>>
>>923850
preach
>>
>>920476
>They're both the kind of places that will kill you if you make mistakes that would be minor elsewhere.

Such as?
>>
>>920351
>panama canal
>when humans were still coming from asia thousands of years ago

what
>>
File: 550135.png (220KB, 568x335px) Image search: [Google]
550135.png
220KB, 568x335px
>>920020
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.