[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Archery /k/ or /out/? If the latter, what's a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1482898502835[1].jpg (104KB, 900x626px) Image search: [Google]
1482898502835[1].jpg
104KB, 900x626px
Is Archery /k/ or /out/? If the latter, what's a good starting bow?
>>
>>919885

I bet she gives amazing foot.
>>
>>919885
Depends upon what u wish 2 do with it. But S we all know /k/ is gay so let's say it's out, it is if you do /trad/ in any case.

What sort of archery do u want 2 do? Fag Olympic faggotry? Fag compound faggortry? Laggy crossbow faggotry? Just use a rifle fag.

Traditional bare bow recurve or longbow? They all say the sage is good but I think that is just idiots that see it recommended and so they recommend it.Not that the sage is a bad bow (in TD, one piece, or LB form) but it is nothing to write home about. Basically any major company's bows are good enough, get what you want. Sage or whatever is fine. If you're just starting out you'll want somethingg around 30lbs, more and you'll wear yourself out and not be able to hold for aim and whatnot. Also korean/turkish/chinese/persian/etc bows are cool with thumb release but not nipnap map fag bows, they r shit worst bows ever but wtf all other asian got it right.

So get a whatever brand or sort of bow u want recurve or longbow, around 30 lbs and arrows to suit an shoot and learn. But determine eye dominance, it is more important than handedness in the realm of archery. If you're left eye dominate you'll want a left handed bow. Make a triangle with your fingers and hold it at arms length and center some distant object within. Close each eye in turn and whichever eye keeps object roughly centered that's your dominant eye.

Good lucck and godspeed young man u r the future of us all
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2285x1714px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2285x1714px
It might even cross mix into alternative sports.

Off the top of my head in simplest cut down tl:dr post on first bow:

A recurve takedown. Something that doesnt break the bank. If you got a club or archery shop nearby, they will be more than happy to help you out. Or you can just read a lot online on your optimal draw length and poundage draw weight.
Unless you 110% know you're gonna really get into archery, don't splerg on stuff out the gate, there are plenty of solid beginners stuff. When you do commit, its a rabbit hole, and if you are in love, it wouldn't matter.

If you go compound bow, you will get a bit more leeway in terms of form and distance, since more traditional bows are more punishing on bad form.
Nothing wrong with going compound as your first bow, but if you go deeper into archery and really want to go balls deep, you will need to learn the stuff you "bypassed" from if you went traditional. Not to mention compound bows are much more more tool intensive if you wish to maintain them vs takedown/traditional.

If you're just getting your feet wet just to see if you really want to get in, there are really cheap one-piece bows from reputable makers for $100~ or under. Cheaper takedown recurves may be a bit more expensive than that, but they give you stretch room for higher powered limbs to swap out for if you want some room to grow.

Also, from my experience, engage and participate with others in the archery community. Its a small group and many are very eager to help and give advise to new archers. I've very rarely encountered assholes.

But like firearms, you do have a lot of the same safety guidelines principles on ranges. But one of the biggest things is NEVER DRY FIRE A BOW (unless its some kiddy 10# bow). It's the fastest way to destroy a bow and hurt yourself.
>>
File: 42575273-5c64-cbb4.jpg (90KB, 726x969px) Image search: [Google]
42575273-5c64-cbb4.jpg
90KB, 726x969px
>>919892
Probably. You should've seen the last thread I put that image in.

>>919902
/k/ is pretty gay, but it is technically a weapon, so I figured I'd ask.

I want to put arrows inside of things at a distance in more ways than one.

Currently, I have a Hoyt Pro Medalist compound bow, pic related. I got it and six 32" arrows for 50 bucks at a yard sale, which turned out to be the perfect size for me. I can draw it back reasonably well. The guy who owned it told me it was a 50 pound pull, but I don't know for sure. This thing's a relic, that's why I was asking at all. I was looking for something similar, but easier to handle and maintain, as it's pretty long, and most modern bows are much shorter while still having similar draw strengths and lengths. They're pretty pricey, though, to the point where I'd rather just put that kind of dosh towards a rifle or shotgun. While I'm still learning, I'd like a simple recurve to mess around with before I get into complex shooting.
>>
>>919904
This actually helps me out a lot, because like I said to the other guy, I was thinking of getting a cheaper recurve to test the waters.

And I actually sort of guessed that you never dry fire a bow. It just seems like a bad idea.
>>
>>919906
Oh wow, I've personally never saw a takedown version of a cam/wheel bow.
I am guessing this stuff is pretty vintage. A lot of stuff nowadays is your higher tech fps compound bow vs. limb and riser vs traditional one piece bows.

At this point, I'd say go on more specialized bow forums for more in detail advise.
>>
Most archery ranges have dozens of different set ups to try. Try a bunch. Personally I enjoy a classic with a light draw since I just target shoot for leisure for hours on end. Some guys who hunt have deadly draws on their compounds that I wouldn't enjoy shooting for shits and giggles
>>
>>919941
compounds are actually the optimal set up for hunting, since they have let-off at full draw. You pretty much get 70-80% of the draw weight off at full draw, giving you a good advantage to draw and just wait for the perfect window to release.
>>
STOP WHAT YOURE DOING RIGHT NOW AND WATCH THIS VIDEO
just kidding i'm not autistic
>>
>>919943
is it even legal to hunt with recruve bows in the first world??
>>
>>920052
Of course it is. Traditional bow hunting is popular all over the US.
>>
Compound bows have gotten so good (for what they are) that shooting them and traditional bows are almost two different activities. Yes you draw both by hand and shoot an arrow, but everything else is different.

Both my daughters shoot compounds and are very good with them. The average person with decent eye hand coordination and physical ability can pick up a compound bow that fits them...and be hitting bulleyes in a few hours or at most days. You can put that bow down for months, pick it back up and hit targets.

Traditional bows, on the other hand, require months or even years to get good with, and you have to keep shooting to keep your eye/instinct.

This is assuming barebow trad and compound decked out with sights, release, etc....

So it really depends on what you are looking for. If you have time and dedication, trad is awesome, I have been shooting this way for many many years. If you don't have that kind of time and want to fling some arrows once in a while and not suck, get a compound.

I don't know which forum archery belongs in, I just thought I would try and help.

What ever you decide, get a bow that fits you and you can shoot easily.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.