[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hear you can get decent jobs from the U.S. government to work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 516219878_1280x545.jpg (87KB, 1280x545px) Image search: [Google]
516219878_1280x545.jpg
87KB, 1280x545px
I hear you can get decent jobs from the U.S. government to work in Antarctica. Anywhere from Janitor to Scientist

Seems like a great thing to do, go on a small adventure for 3-6 months, get paid A LOT, free room and board, free food, and you can go outside on your days off.

Have any of you been to antarctica in any capacity? Private excursion or job?
>>
>>919869
No but I'm interested got a B.S Geology summa cum laude muffugga I wanna go to the Antarctic and do science and shit ya hear.
>>
>>919869
>you can go outside on your days off
That'll be cool for exactly 3 days

Also, it's fucking cold and there's no backing out, can't just skip work for a birthday.
>>
>>919871
cool

I'm thinking about applying for an IT position. I'm a software developer, but their requirements are only high school degree, and I have a bachelors in applied science and I've been programming for 5 years. It's basically data entry and project management on base apparently

>>919873
Most jobs are during the summer, minimal staff during the winter. 24 hours of daylight, so no winter blues, and it can get to ~50 degrees F on a good day
>>
File: 20161227_210702.png (230KB, 388x476px) Image search: [Google]
20161227_210702.png
230KB, 388x476px
I fly choppers. Those crazy Swedes dug something up out of the ice. Things went to hell after that.

On the bright side temperature is up all over the camp.

Otoh, it won't last...
>>
>>919880
this was basically my first thought
>>
>>919875
Where are you finding job listings?
>>
>>919882
i googled it after my roommate was telling me about a guy he met that worked there

https://www.usap.gov/jobsandopportunities/
>>
File: boop boop boop boop....gif (846KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
boop boop boop boop....gif
846KB, 500x281px
>>919869
I met this one radical dude while attending my WFR course who worked down at McMurdo station as the chief heavy machinery engineer and equiptment manager. He both loved it and hated it. Says it's an incredible and fucking brutal place to live, older guy in his 60's. Now he's headed up to Greenland to manage an operation there for the U.S. military. Says the worst thing about it is the dark.

>>919873
>>919875
It can reach 30-50 degrees Fahrenheit there in the spring and summer months . Ask anyone who's been there and they'll tell you. There's plenty of videos online of people walking around in windbreakers and sweaters with sunglasses on.
>>
As a long time tradesman I've always kept an eye on jobs like this. Military contracts in the middle east, seasonal in Alaska, etc. you always here about these great opportunities to make a lot of money. It's NEVER worth it. First thing you need to do is calculate your hourly rate as if you are working 24 hours a day, because that's what life is like in these places. Even if you have no life wherever you live (believe me, I don't) it's just not worth it. You won't be getting paid any OT or for the time you aren't working, you'll be sitting there doing nothing being paid nothing. There are plenty of jobs in the country for people willing to bust their ass far more worth it than suffering in an ice world doing menial jobs.
>>
>>919869
Everybody ITT needs to watch this documentary, and read the accompanying book about the work these people have done. Shit's fucking incredible man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihx2am9NWl4&t=12s
>>
>>919875
>>919887
So what if the temperatures outside are vaguely bearable? It's just snow and ice fucking everywhere. There can be nice views and all but they're spread over a massive expanse

Better to just sit inside playing the long dark
>>
My friend works at McMurdo! He really likes it. It's an adventure I say the least
>>
>>919913
what does he do for fun? is there a gym?
>>
>>919910
Incredible landscapes, views of little Razorback, Mt. Discovery, and other ranges and interesting geographic features, best stargazing and aurora borealis in the world due to lack of light pollution, penguins, orca and minke whales, skuas, leopard and wedell seals. The ie also turns a million different colors depending on lighting and algae blooms. The coast is teeming with life. Apparently they have some comfy coffee shops and cafes there too where people hang out in their of hours.

and this cool thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loWMYNFqp-E

>>919914
>is there a gym
nigga just go outside and shovel snow nigga hahaha goddamn
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.