[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm a NEET living in Ontario and I want to go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: hqdefault.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
Hey guys, I'm a NEET living in Ontario and I want to go camping solo on some crown land. I've never went solo camping before or winter camping and I have no equipment but I have been camping before I got 350$ for Christmas.

I have a list here from amazon of what I think would cover me for solo camping. I would start with just one night overnight at first.

1DGE1XW1NCWR <-- amazon buy list
Is this enough for me to survive? My main concern is the sleeping bag. That one is rated for -15C and seems a good deal for the price but maybe its not good enough for Ontario winter nights?

Any other recommendations on what I would need to bring with me? Also if you guys tell me to go camping with a friend first that is not an option because I have no friends and I am gonna do it regardless
>>
I can't figure out how to use those letters, just post the link.
>>
> I am gonna do it regardless

Clearly you have no fucking idea what you're doing considering you need help with just the bare basics, so if you're going to ignore not only the advice of outdoor enthusiasts who know what they're doing, but also common sense, I suggest you start in your backyard or 50 yards into the woods, not in the backcountry.
>>
>>919261

amazon.ca/gp/regi ******(DELETE THIS)***** stry/wishlist/1DGE1XW1NCWR/ref=cm_wl_list_o_0?
>>919263

I don't have a backyard I live in the city and rent a room.

I'm not ignoring your advice, I literally made this thread asking for advice, but if youre just gonna say "don't do it" I'm just saying I'm gonna do it anyways
>>
>>919259
don't worry about a sleeping bag, what you need is a woolen cloak. it can do double duty as a coat and a quilt.

also what you need most to keep warm is calories. I would suggest taking atleast 2 liters of mountain dew per day. and cheetos are very light for the calories.

you are going to need a big knife like the bk2 do you can baton wood for a fire. you can even baton a tree down.

when it comes to backpacks, the more molle loops the better. and you should probably take atleast 2 guns just in case.

that should keep you alive.
>>
>>919278
Most sound advice in the thread. Dont worry about meme products like sleeping bags. Get multipurpose gear like the biolite stove and paracord.
>>
Thanks /out/, I just wanted advice for solo winter camping but of course the only posts I get are from elitists who tell me to either don't do it or to bring cheetos and mountain dew.
>>
>>919259
Don't expect to get good advice from 4chan in the first sixty fucking minutes after you knock another person's thread off the board, especially when you obviously have nothing to contribute.

Now, ask politely and I promise to take sympathy on you.
>>
>>919301
lol fuck you bud, who do you think you are king of the jungle?
>>
>>919301

Actually you're right though I wasn't too polite in my post so I'm sorry
>>
>>919301
lol I justlooked at his shitty wish list. he has a mora and paracord, some really shitty quality pack and bag, and some fucking bondage gear for some reason.

in fact, some of it is gear from other shitty threads so my guess is this idiot is a big contributor to shitting up this board.

I hope this moron dies.
>>
>>919314
Okay, now... Be nice, we were all laughably pathetic noobs at one point.
>>
File: Opie.jpg (80KB, 458x350px) Image search: [Google]
Opie.jpg
80KB, 458x350px
>>
I too am in ontario. You need a better sleeping bag. -15 celcius isn't enough.

Also if you've never solo camped before I don't recommend you start in the winter. Hell I'm going to tell you DON"T DO IT
>>
>>919336
You should offer to show him the ropes, or at least list off the gear you'd use if you were going to solo Ontario.
>>
>>919341
I'd wait until the summer then do my first solo. Then do a couple more that season and transition to fall camping then winter.
>>
>>919259
is this a full list of what gear you plan to bring? How long are you planning on camping out for?
If you have never solo camped before, the winter is probably not the best time to start...

Things worth considering you add:
>sleeping pad
>ground sheet
>space blankets- they're cheap and and you can use one as the aforementioned ground sheet
>Head lamp and spare batteries. It gets dark early in winter
>fire starters

also think about what you want to do for water treatment. I assume that you are going to boil water or melt snow, but if there is no snow to melt you may want to get a filter or atleast a bandanna to filter out some larger particulates

also think about what you are going to wear. Layers are good, avoid cotton etc. bring an extra pair of gloves in case one pair gets wet.
>>
>>919347
Obviously that's the smart move, but its not what OP asked.

>>919259
Get a thick inflatable pad or a twin-sized air mattress. This goes down directly on top of your groundcloth. Then put a closed cell foam pad on top of that. Your sleeping bag needs to be rated at least 10C colder than what you're expecting and should be synthetic not down, and you should have a either thermals or a fleece liner, if not both. DO NOT WEAR COTTON ANYTHING. Pack at least one extra pair of socks and gloves. You'll probably want to be wearing a full snow suit the entire time, nothing is worse than wet clothing. Pack a case of presto logs; the colder it is, the harder it is to get a fire going. Fatty foods like cheese and summer sausage are your friend. Definitely car camp the first night, if you want to hike further in after you decide you've got the right gear, go for it, but staying next to a way out on the first night could save your life.

The only other gear you'll need will be a couple BIC lighters, a basic med kit, an open fire cook kit, and a seat of some sort.

Don't go into this thinking you're going to play survival expert; flint/steel, snow shelters, DIY gear, and most of the stuff you'll read about on /out/ will kill the less experienced people who rely on it. These are skills worth learning and can be great as a backup, but should never be your primary means.
>>
>>919314
I never post in other threads I lurked the other threads and looked at the gear other people said to bring and added it to my list. It's not like I already bought the stuff, that's why I'm fucking asking for advice.

The bondage rope I accidentally added to my camping list from my other list.
>>
>>919356
Thanks for the advice. So I should probably get a -25c sleeping bag for Ontario?

I will sleep outside in the woods like 10 minutes from my car the first time so if I fuck up I can just stay in my car, I just don't want to wait until winter is over before I start camping and solo is my only option because I'm a robot
>>
Do you think buying this sleeping bag from a military surplus store online is a good idea?

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/products/289097-yanes-yukon-mummy-sleeping-bags/

-25c rating and weighs 7 pounds but I don't know how military surplus stores are or if that is too cheap for a sleeping bag
>>
>>919378
That would be my recommendation, yeah.

>>919380
US$52 seems a little cheap for that rating; I bought my bag at ChinaMart and had to reinforce all the seams and it looks like it'll need a zipper replacement soon, but since I make a lot of my own gear and am comfortable sewing, I'd rather do that than pay twice as much anyway.
>>
File: quinzee.jpg (64KB, 424x282px) Image search: [Google]
quinzee.jpg
64KB, 424x282px
>>919378
To start you should make a quinzee in your back yard
>>
>>919594
The point of having the sticks is that you drive them all the way in first and then only dig out the inside to that thickness (minimum 2 ft). That's fine for kids playing during the day, but those walls could collapse in the middle of the night, trapping your arms inside your sleeping bag, and you would suffocate before you could dig yourself out.

But thanks for recommending it to someone who doesn't know any better. People died for your right to free speech, and you use it to shitpost.
>>
God damn, op, you're going to fucking die. You have zero /out/ skills, and an extremely shitty budget. If you had an ounce of sense, you would put this off until the summer and start off with solo or group car camping then. Crawl before you run - winter backpacking north of the 49th parallel is one of the more difficult and potentially lethal /out/ activities you can attempt.

Your bag needs to be rated to several degrees lower than the lowest conditions you expect on your trip; Ontario winters in the backcountry regularly dip past -25 or -30 with windchill.
>>
Haha OP these guys are all memeing you hard.

If you're anywhere near a Mountain Warehouse - I'd recommend you go there for sleeping bags and other basic gear. Good quality and great prices.

Tips:
Food, fire and shelter are your priorities.
Make sure you bring canned foods and can open and cook and eat them.
Make sure you'll have access to dry firewood.
Make sure you have many layers, dry clothes, and a good sleeping bag. Make stick walls around your campsite to shield from the wind.

Good luck OP. I've done exactly this and been fine.
Bring a phone so you can call for help if you fuck up.

Again: food, fire, shelter

There'll be so much goddamn snow you can boil for water all day long
>>
File: Prepping.png (103KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Prepping.png
103KB, 800x600px
OP this helpful diagram was posted in an earlier survival thread.

It highlights the priorities you'll need to focus on while out in the woods - starting from the top.

First and most importantly you'll need to make sure you enter the woods with your morals in check. This is key. Then you'll want to embrace your inner creativity and nature's spontaneity. Use problem solving along with a lack of prejudice to overcome any obstacles. Than accept the facts like 'I'm going to die aren't I' and 'I'll never outrun this bear'.
>>
where from ontario are your from, and where are you planning on going
>>
>>919624
I obviously didn't mean build the one in the photo, dickhead. No self respecting Cheeto-fed NEET could even fit inside it. And I did tell him to try spending a night in the back yard before heading out into the forest, because I think that's a good idea.
>>
File: 61yOa-jx4+L._SL1155_.jpg (77KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
61yOa-jx4+L._SL1155_.jpg
77KB, 1155x1155px
>>919643
Don't worry I will be fine. I think I have a comprehensive list

SHELTER:
US Military Waterproof Bivy Cover (pic related) -70$
KLYMIT Insulated Static V Camping Pad(4.4 R) -85$
YANES® YUKON MUMMY SLEEPING BAG (-25C) -70$ from military surplus store
A tarp probably -10$?

GEAR:
Mora Companion -17$
Coghlans 8400 Sierra Saw -10$

TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack -80$
Lifestraw: -25$
Titanium Spork -13$
Parachord -10$
Thermarest Seat -15$
Brunton Compass -10$
Stanley 24OZ steel cooking cup -20$

Food:
box of kraft dinner and beef jerky

After tax and everything is about 520$ which is a little over budget but I think it's okay

>>919659
I thought bears are hibernating during winter?
>>
>>919667
I live in Kingston and I will probably just drive north a bit to get to crown land
>>
>>919680
One thing, living out of a bivy sucks. You won't have any shelter if you aren't actually laying down. Better off with a Chinese tent like naturehike since you'll actually be able to cook or just hang out in your tent out of the elements. you could ditch the bivy and air pad in favor of a better tent and z lite foam pad for the same price. Hell add a Walmart foam pad for more insulation and you'll be plenty warm, albeit not as comfortable as the air pad but 70$ less. you could supplement with extra clothes, natural materials in a trash bag, ect. Good luck anon
>>
>>919682
>Kingston
In southern Ontario, I'd worry more about staying dry if it rains than about needing a -40 sleeping bag. Just don't go during a super-cold snap, obviously.
>>
>>919687
Just saw the tarp in your list, that's an improvement but I'd still take a tent over bivy and tarp in the winter just because of body heat and having a livable space.
>>
Maybe bring water because our snow is melting here
>>
>>919278
Are you retarded? Camping in snow with wool?
>>
>>919801
Oh God....
>>
>>919680
GET
A
TENT
GET
A
TENT

YOU ARE SO UNDERSUPPLIED WITH FOOD
YOU ARE SO UNDERSUPPLIED WITH FOOD
>>
nice, nice. One problem bro. You can't buy friends to go with you kek
>>
>>919680
carry bear spray. Also, you are taking water to drink right?
>>
>>919688
Eh, the nearest place he can go legally is Algonquin park, a few hours north of Toronto. That place frequently strays into -25 or -30.
>>
>>919259
100% honest advice from someone who spends almost every second week out alone on crown land around the north Frontenac area, less during the winter months, it's really not worth it in the winter unless you have more money or something to prove. Snowshoes would be key but that's almost your whole budget unless you find something really cheap on Kijiji or craigslist. Still if you're really going to go regardless I'd say ditch the folding seat and sit on your unloaded pack, use the $50 you save buy one of those little metal fire frames because balancing that mess tin on rocks or sticks is going to suck dick and get a tarp to put under you when you sleep so you don't get soaked by the snow. Look up how to build a snow shelter and warm it with rocks from the fire. Also don't cheap out on the saw go to princess auto or CT and get a proper bow saw and a replacement blade which will run you maybe $40-50 total.

My best advice would still be to wait and use this excitement to drive you to build a quality kit for use once spring hits. You'll be able to save a little more for it too.

here's a link for the fire frame
https://www.amazon.ca/Titanium-Frame-Cooking-Accessories-Stove/dp/B0183PMYP2/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1482952591&sr=1-2&keywords=fire+frame
>>
>>920201
granted the snowshoes might not be crucial right now but they still save energy which is more precious in the cold.
>>
After all of your advice and giving it more thought, I don't have the budget or the experience to do this, so I will wait two months until March. That way I wont blow all my cash on shitty quality winter gear just for two months of winter camping and then die. I guess I will just have to stay a hikikomori for a while longer
>>
>>920437
You could always go for a day hike? Drive to spot at first light and arrive at car around dark.

Also a good idea to get a feel for your winter gear.
>>
>>920975
okay :)
>>
File: IMG_6256-2015-02-10 (Medium).jpg (115KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6256-2015-02-10 (Medium).jpg
115KB, 1024x768px
>>920437
I still think you should build a snow fort in your back yard. You'll learn a useful skill and feel like you at least tried something.
>>
>>919259
Ignore the people being harsh OP

my advice though is wait till spring. Winter camping is tough and while I dunno if you really get spring in Canada if you're trying to do solo camping for the first time I'd do it in more forgiving conditions.
>>
>>919659
I actually lol'd thank you for this
>>
>>919680
OP please don't die. I'm a fairly experienced camper and winter camping isn't something I just do on a whim, and I live in the northern US, not Canada. Buy yourself a good 3 season bag and car camp your way through summer.
>>
File: match_girl.jpg (82KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
match_girl.jpg
82KB, 640x853px
>>921304
>Buy yourself a good 3̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ expedition bag
fify
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.