[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a Canadian Registered Forestry Technician. AMA >I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: canadian-flag.png (8KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
canadian-flag.png
8KB, 600x300px
I'm a Canadian Registered Forestry Technician.

AMA

>I'm unemployed
>>
>>916543
All those fucking trees and you can't find a good job?
>>
>>916546
I need more schooling to get a job that I actually want.
>>
I'm about to study horticulture. Tell me what you know about the Industry
>>
>>916596
You might be working at a nursery, supplying trees to planters and stuff, but there really isn't any crossover.

I can do a variety of jobs, from timber cruising/tree marking, to road and stand lay outs, as well inspections and stuff.

I'm more interested in the industrial side of things, whereas horticulture would be learning about growing things and it's probably a lot more intensive.
>>
>>916604
I'm looking to be more hands on and maintain a park or even maintain a garden environment.

What would you suggest I study to be closer to a forester. I'm in Canada also.
>>
>>916607
I'd say just stick with horticulture. Park maintenance is more along the lines of an arborist, which is something completely different from forestry again, but from what it sounds you don't want to do either one of those jobs.

If you want to own or maintain a nursery, then horitculture is what you want.

Although, I have worked for the Toronto Conservation Authority, and just having a diploma in something plant related will get your foot in the door, and then you can explore more options as you work your way up the ladder.
>>
>>916609
Ah thanks bro.

So how much experience do you have? You said you're looking into a job, but what exactly are you hoping to get into exactly?
>>
>>916614
Just some winter time tree marking would be fun...

I've worked for the TRCA, Haliburton, did some tree planting in BC. Not really that much xp desu.
>>
>>916616
But you said they are looking for anyone with a degree in plants eh? Would tree planting be a decent venture? I'm tots down for any physical labour. And outdoors is where I belong.
>>
>>916619
Tree planting requires nothing but on site training. It's a good way to make money, but it wont necessarily qualify you for anything else (except for maybe a conservation authority doing general labour kind of stuff)
>>
>>916619
If you like being outside, take my road. I went to Algonquin College in Pembroke Ontario. It's a great little program they have there (TONS of field time) and it's just a 1 year program to be a registered forestry technician (RFT).

I will tell you one thing though that wasn't told to me before I joined: loving the out doors isn't enough. The magisty of nature and the smells and the sights wear off quickly and then you're just left with lots of walking and lots of bugs (or coldness)
>>
>>916623
Holy fuck bud I grew up in Pembroke! I'm at Algonquin college in Ottawa. Small world.

Anyway I'm going to work for a few years to pay off the current debt I owe for some failed courses that I wasn't interested in. Would you suggest the Pembroke college is a good place? It'd probably make more sense to go back there than to study about plants in the city.
>>
>>916624
Since you live there, definitely go to Pembroke.

Fleming might be more thorough, but it's not that much better, and pembroke is 1/2 the time and therefore 1/2 the cost, and it is recognized nation wide as a good forestry college.

The other one is Lakehead, but that's for more advanced and specific training.

Or UBC if you want to become an RPF
>>
File: 1467575086092.png (33KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
1467575086092.png
33KB, 650x500px
>>916625
Well thanks for the advice dude. This has been a big help for me.

I wish you luck on your shit, and take it easy bud.
>>
File: brofist.jpg (29KB, 468x458px) Image search: [Google]
brofist.jpg
29KB, 468x458px
>>916629
np
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.