[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion /out/? >canvas or nylon > zippers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 17

What's your opinion /out/?

>canvas or nylon
> zippers or buttons/buckles
>why
>>
>>915716
What pack is that?
>>
>>915716
Nylon/zippers.
Lightweight, useable, and hard wearing.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Had this backpack for about 15 years now, still perfect. Goes on every hiking, camping or just out of town trip since then. Still perfect and the perfect size
>>
>>915716
they both have their merits
nylon is functionally better, but canvas looks nice
zippers, buttons, buckles can all fail you or last forever, can be slow or fast, light or heavy. It all depends on the quality, design and use.
I have two nylon bags- one with a zipper and one without.
I also have a canvas bag with buckles. All three I've used for hiking.
>>
File: 1480395314256.jpg (85KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1480395314256.jpg
85KB, 1024x683px
Is this the designated bag thread? Is there anything similar to https://missionworkshop.com/products/arkiv-bag-series except it won't rape my wallet? I just need a detachable compartment so I can easily go from overnighter to commuter when needed.
>>
>>915777
It's a soviet veshmeshok. It is very uncomfortable.
>>
canvas because i prefer the aesthetic.
buttons and buckles because it's easier to repair. you can't repair a zip in the field, a button is quite easy, and buckles don't really break.
>>
>>915795
what the fuck is that thing
>>
File: 1476980902481.jpg (924KB, 1480x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1476980902481.jpg
924KB, 1480x2048px
>>915827
a big girl
>>
File: 1478409952129.jpg (48KB, 517x445px) Image search: [Google]
1478409952129.jpg
48KB, 517x445px
>>915795
this meme just gets better and better
>>
>>915804
Comfort is for capitalist pigs. Instead enjoy the simplicity and nifty closure system tavarish.
>>
>>915716
Nylon is practically better. Lighter weight, usually more water resistant and quick to dry. Thing is it's fucking noisy. I've never had issue with zips busting especially if sizable ykk ones. Plastic buckles with straps, buttons and snaps are my way to go though.
>>
>>915716
Frost river makes best canvas bags.
Made in Duluth
>>
>>916109
Care to elaborate on the functionality that merits paying that much for fucking waxed canvas?

Because it seems to be hipster LARPing shit.
>>
>>916053
>noisy

much more of an issues for clothing than packs IMO
>>
>>916050
>tavarish
U tebya byla odna rabota. Dasvidania, tovarisch.
>S4M snaps shut
>>
>>916124
WHAT'S THAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF MY NYLON BAG IN THE CLOSET. OH GOD WHY DID I NOT CHOOSE CANVAS??
>>
>>916137
Kek'd
>>
>>915845
Is the Mexican kid in there also shopped? Or did he become a meme from this pic?(cause I know iv seen him in other pics)
>>915851
Yeah, I like how it's kinda grown slower, and been very subtle(hulk pic not withstanding)
>>
>>915716
all of the above

canvas or heavy codura nylon and metal buckles/ or buttons and ties for long term durability and SHTF

light weight nylon and zippers for hiking, camping, or tines when things can be easily and cheaply replaced if broken or worn out during use.
>>
>>915779
>nylon, zippers

>hard wearing.

you havent used you equipment hard enough
>>
>>915845
for you...
>>
>>916137
Swish swish swish swish. You must be deaf.
>>
>>916117
Poorfag
>>
Nylon for weight.

Canvas for A E S T H E T I C S
>>
File: 580054_ts.jpg (151KB, 1154x1154px) Image search: [Google]
580054_ts.jpg
151KB, 1154x1154px
I use a canvas German military rucksack for day to day use, I've been dragging this thing around for over a decade, used it everyday all of high school and college, and it only has some minor wear. In-fucking-destructable. I have a big nylon pack for backpacking too, but I'll still be using the canvas pack after the nylon is no longer repairable.
>>
File: pablobus.jpg (409KB, 662x993px) Image search: [Google]
pablobus.jpg
409KB, 662x993px
>>916637
>Is the Mexican kid in there also shopped? Or did he become a meme from this pic?
I unironically do not have the original picture that spawned it all despite making a few OCs myself
>tfw question still not answered
I just bought a TNF Recon
>>
>>916820
Right. Except seeing what things are and aren't worth is not being a poorfag.
>>
>>916671
That's why all of those top tier brands like Ospreyoffer no questions asked guarantees on their nylon bags with zippers, amirite?
>>
>>916834
nobody cares about your shitty pack.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 361x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 361x480px
If you're not using one of these are you truly /out/?¿
>>
>>915716

Step up your game brah and get some wax to waterproof that sucker.
>>
>>916834
That rucksack looks awesome, I'm planning to buy one.
>>
Had my veshmeshok on a few hunting and fishing trips.
Its alright for day trips etc.. but i wouldn't pack anything too heavy in it.
and keep pack hard things away from your back.
But definetly worth the money, think i paid 2$ for it.
>>
>>915716
Nylon and zippers. Canvas is le bushcraft meme XD
>>
>>915795
>over priced molle rip off for urbanites
Kek you'd have to be a retard to fall for that
>>
>>916820
>le hipster poser faggot who has never carried a pack more than 3 miles
>but it's so durable
>not that it needs to be cos I never go /out/
>>
File: Otzi.png (168KB, 303x437px) Image search: [Google]
Otzi.png
168KB, 303x437px
I don't understand this new canvas material meme. It's not as durable or versatile as my leather and woven grass pouches. I like the more traditional approach, the aesthetics of my gear matter to me, I don't like all these space-age fabrics and hi-tech stuff when hiking.
>>
>>918466
You cared enough to comment you racemixing nigger lover.
>>
>>917490
>mfw canvas
>>
>>915716
I like canvas and buckles, gives me a much more outdoorsy feel and is more efficient imo
>>
I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but is a medium alice pack with tactical tailer Frame and straps a good pack for months of hiking? I currently use an tactical tailer frame and straps on my issued usmc ilbe pack and really like it.
>>
File: Mammut Neon Cargo 40L.png (3MB, 1399x931px) Image search: [Google]
Mammut Neon Cargo 40L.png
3MB, 1399x931px
Mammut neon cargo 40L

been using it for a few years, zipper is burly as fuck, have been stuffing it overfull and throwing it around, no signs of wear. Thinking about picking up a second one just in case they discontinue it
>>
>>918080
>Repair service included
Not exactly a testament to it's longevity.
>>
>>921013
>standing by your products because you expect them to last and don't mind fixing them even when it isn't your fault
Sounds like a testament to durability and quality to me.

It's all irrelevant though because nylon is objectively a stronger material than canvas.
>>
>>921084
You're implying they offer this service because they hope not to actually fulfill it very often. I'm implying it's because they actually do have to fulfill it (because their products really do break) and the costs are just included in the price. Both happen in other industries.
>>
Man my army duffle bags with shoulder straps are fucking bulletproof. I've literally dragged them through rocks and still use them for hunting.
>>
>>915795
>maxed out bag
>$1784
Fuckin lol m8
>>
>>915716
canvas
-won't melt
-fairly durable

nylon
-drys fast
-light weight and strong for the weight

zippers
-easy and fast
-useless if broken

buttons
-not a complete seal
-hard to operate with cold fingers
-also can break but usually don't
>>
>>915716
>nylon
>zippers
Most modern backpacks look like shit however but my Dana designs from the 90s have stayed fashionable
>>
>>919005
I like your gorka! Is that SSO? Or just cheap BARS one?
>>
File: download.jpg (201KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
201KB, 800x800px
>>915795
Check out Ynot, chrome, or vessel workshop.
>>
>>916834

MFW i just bought the exact same one, but mines sort of a green colour
>>
>>920213
hipster spotted. I'm only using my loincloth to boost my immune system and a rock as a multitool. Plenty of rocks out there and I can use any of them
>>
File: shopping.jpg (19KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
19KB, 450x450px
>>918493
I actually am looking for a modern rendition of something like that.
Gonna be innawoods 30 days, able to resupply. Looking for something like pic related for stove, minimal cooking ware, and food.
>>
>>923359
>Implying Bars is a cheap gorka
Man I'll have you know that Bars gorkas are one of the best brands.
Cheapo gorkas are brands like Pamir, they're terrible compared to Bars
>>
>>923359
Yeah its SSO, bought it in moscow!
Also BARS used to be kinda shit a few years ago
but they have really stepped up their game.
But i still belive SSO makes the best ones, BARS is not far behind though!
>>
wtf why would you even buy soviet shiiet? in 2017 we use high tech fabrics.
>>
>>916834
that looks like typical euro-milsurp trash to me, why are you guys getting so hard over it?
>>
>>920213
Archaeology student here. Otzi was actually a rich bastard. He had not one, but TWO copper axes, pretty rare given his Neolithic time period. It has actually been suggested that he was arrowed by those wishing to acquire his axes, but he managed to escape and die in the mountains. He also seems to have been well nourished and well equipped, and his last meal was Ibex (top quality meat there). He would have been able to afford the latest and greatest space age fabrics. He would have flaunted them on this board, constantly praising them until someone got pissed, tracked him down, and murdered him just to shut him up.

Also, he apparently had a Whipworm infection. Serves him right. Rich bastard.
>>
File: $1,000 Wedge Tent by Filson.jpg (65KB, 758x758px) Image search: [Google]
$1,000 Wedge Tent by Filson.jpg
65KB, 758x758px
>>924537
huh. So he was kinda like the fags on this board who buy expensive worthless canvas gear for MUH AETHETHISS N WOODSIE FEEELS?
>>
>>924542
Sort of. I see him more as the rich one who brags constantly on his newest and greatest $1,700 backpack and gigantic tent, constantly belittling those of use who have to make-do with whatever we can find (in all honesty, I really do like canvas and leather aesthetics, but I completely understand those who prefer lighter-weight modern fabrics).
>>
>>924537
My gramps used canvas, wool, and leather for /out/ and he swore by them up to the moment newer materials became available. He still did traditional woodsman shit he just did it with space age materials. Fucking A Otzi would be a richfag brag posting his gear
>>
>>915804
Only if you pack it wrong
>>
Stop LARPing and buy an Osprey.
>>
File: mein Sack.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
mein Sack.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>915716
>hunting
Loden all the way. With wooden buttons and string for lowest possible volume output.

>hinking/camping
I lately got into hiking and /out/ camping, which is actually quite hard to do where I live cause
its actually densely populated. Got a Jack Memeskin backpack for christmas which isn't half
bad but also not exactly field tested.

>everyday/school/collge
Oldschool EastPak, pic related, more worn out though. Still unbroken except for the zipper
of the large compartment which needs its second replacement.
Got that thing when I graduated to German equivalent od middle school (5th grade).
It has been my trusty companion for over ten years now.
>>
File: big girl.jpg (406KB, 672x960px) Image search: [Google]
big girl.jpg
406KB, 672x960px
>>916637
this is original. poor indybug

>>918493
great for berry and tea picking
>>
>>927832
>>915716
>>915777
>>915804
Where would be the best place to buy one of these? Are there any other names they go by so I can search better?

>own two plash palatkas and a mosin, wanna level up my soviet collection. Don't debate me on the merits of the pack.
>>
>>916834
Wtf is that thing?
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.