[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /out/, I have been camping for a long while and have never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: winter-camping-uintas.jpg (271KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
winter-camping-uintas.jpg
271KB, 1100x733px
Hello /out/, I have been camping for a long while and have never been winter camping before, I am looking to try it for the first time next week. I don't have any specialized gear, but I do have a warm jacket/clothes, do you guys have any tips that would be helpful? What kind of gear to bring, what it's like that sort of thing? Any information is appreciated! I will be going in Alberta, it is supposed to be relatively nice next week, +4-7 C all week.
>>
>>913765
Uh...you have too much to learn for an image board to help much. Like, there's a little more to it than can be addressed with tips.

You've been invited by people who know what the fuck they're doing and who have gone winter camping in Canada at least a few times before, right?
>>
>>913767
Nope, just me and a buddy. Both our first time winter camping.
>>
Good base layer is key. you have a good base, you don't need as many heavy clothes on top. I recommend wool or synthetic thermals/long johns/ union suit/ whatever. No jeans. No cotton canvas or cotton flannel. As a general rule, wool, synth, and combinations thereof are the way to go. Get a good knit cap, and a pair of work mittens and a pair of liners for them. Work mittens tend to be better insulated and generally tougher, and the liners will keep your hands a little warm for the times when you need to take them off to tie a knot or whatever. Get good socks, and plenty of them. Get waterproof boots, no shorter than 6 inches.
>>
File: dolarhyde.jpg (203KB, 650x367px) Image search: [Google]
dolarhyde.jpg
203KB, 650x367px
Put your waterbottle at the bottom of your sleeping bag during the night. If it freezes you're in a world of hurt. Keep it inside your clothes when you're hiking so it doesn't freeze.

Make absolutely sure to change your base layer before you go to bed at night. You sweat in it during the day and the moisture will make you cold no matter what you do. If you wake up cold at 2 AM, replace your base layer again. It's critical you don't have sweat against your skin if you want to stay warm.

Eat a hearty dinner. Since you're in Canada there will be bears, which means you can't have food nearby if you wake up cold. Your body is your furnace, and you have to keep it well-stoked.

Stocking caps. More than one. Absolutely get a balaclava -- if it gets windy and you have nothing for your face, you're gonna regret it.

Drink more water than you think necessary. You don't get as noticeably thirsty during the winter, but it's your body's #1 requirement. Take it seriously.

Get a down sleeping bag, or you will freeze. Depending on its temp rating you may need to get a liner/smaller bag to put inside it.

Don't get wet, or you will freeze.

Wear wool socks, or you will freeze.

Layers layers layers. Base synthetic, fleece, then down or wool. No cotton; it loses insulating ability when wet. Don't get down wet either.

Most importantly, have fun and EAT THE PAIN!
>>
Wool and real animal fur is better than synthetic
>>
Cotton kills has always been my motto and i cant stress it enough. Also a 0° bag or lower is the way to go. Keep a peanut butter jar to pee in at night so you dont have to leave the tent. Make sure to eat high energy food. And 2 pairs of boots if you can, the last thing you want is to step into water and now your boots are soaked and you cant go anywhere till they dry.
>>
In my personal experience its very important to go to the toilet before going to bed.
Your body tries its hardest to stay at normal bodytemperature and if its full it has to heat more.
Also never get in your sleepingbag cold, it might seem very tempting to get nice and cozy, but in the end your sleepingbag uses your own heat to warm you, so if you get in cold it wont get warm for a long time.
So maybe walk through some deep snow or something else to get warm before going to bed. But tri to not get wet.
However if you have wet socks/mittons you can put them in your sleepingbag and they will be dry and warm the next morning.
Same applies for inner Skiboots if you are on skis.
Also to add on the waterbottle in sleepingbag. If you can heat water/snow in the evening put the hot water in your bottle. Nalgenes are nice for this, and then put them in your sleepingbag.
It will warm you and the bag
And yeah, have fun. Wintercamping is amazing, but it can suck a lot if you are just freezing your ass off
>>
I really only have experience with ftx inna army but between Germany and Fort drum, I can tell you

1, GET A GOOD BASE LAYER, I like the poly base (ninja suit) and waffle over that. Less if I know I'm working
2, when sleeping outside make sure you're insulated as fuck, throw detritus under your tent, keep boots in sleeping bag so they don't freeze
3, don't forget hat and gloves
4, you won't be thirsty in winter, DRINK
5, EAT MORE
6, you get cold when you sleep, be active before you hit the hay
7, extreme weather breeds chillblains, cover up

There might be more I could tell you but I think that covers most of the "survive in cold" stuff
>>
File: 20160102_130100.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160102_130100.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Best tip I have anon:
Keep you vehicle close (within 25 yards) and if it gets too cold during the night, like unbearably so, sleep in your car with the engine running
On a full tank of gas, it will last you way more than a night, don't be afraid to waste gas for your comfort until you get your gear figured out.
>be me with gf
>go winter camping in mid January on land I just bought northern MN
>brought winter tent, hides, blankets, sleeping bag.
>night dipped down to -10F after feezing rain earlier that night and even 2 ppl sharing a bag with cloths couldn't keep up the heat.
>said fuck it and went in truck and slept the rest of the night in peace in idle.
Basically have a backup plan if shtf. Not saying this is everytime, but it can happen and happened our first time
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.