[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/, what's the best nutrition for value food that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_3223.jpg (98KB, 366x402px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3223.jpg
98KB, 366x402px
Hey /out/, what's the best nutrition for value food that I could take outdoors?
This can include snacks from shops, meats, organic foods, bread, fruits, etc.
I'll have access to a stove, barbecue, an esky and have a decent sized storage space (say, the size of a car).
>>
>>913587
>trip indeed

Around here, foraging and hunting has the best weight/nutrition value.
>>
>>913595
>foraging
What? Really? Is this board for people who are completely off grid or something?
I assumed it was people who liked to go on camping trips and stuff, but still had some contact with society
>>
>>913598
>my cave has internet
>i eat raw meat
>typically human meat
>younger is more tender
>7
>>
>>913600
>cave
Who says you haven't built a hut with solar powered wi-fi?
>>
File: 20161123_145948.jpg (3MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161123_145948.jpg
3MB, 2560x1536px
>>913601
>me no need hut, got solar for cave
>>
I do canoe trips and subsist on pasta, peanut butter, and multivitamins for the best calories to weight / volume ratio. In that sense bread and fruit are both terrible: take up space, get damaged easily, go bad quickly, etc.
>>
Question since it is related to this.

Do you guys ever take canned food and just heat it up with a small stove or fire?
>>
>>913587

>nutrition for value

Do you mean by weight or by dollar value?
>>
>>913587
I did a ton of research on this when I was prepping for the PCT. Unless you'll be gone for more than two weeks straight, don't even worry about nutrition; you body stores most of the vitamins that you need in your fat cells, which will release as you burn that fat off. Your primary concern will be calories, and if you're hiking, your calorie to weight ratio. For most of my trips, I just carry summer sausage and string cheese; not too expensive, not too heavy, slow burning energy, doesn't require cooking. I also pack tea, cocoa, etc to warm up and for quick sugar. If you are doing a long trip, you can still do this, just make sure to order a salad and a glass of orange juice every time you pass through a town, and you'll be fine. Waxed hard cheeses are also good and have the added benefit of using the wax for field candles, as well as Spam singles, and the occasional "envelope tuna" (which isn't very high on the cal/g ratio because they pack them in water, but is better than only eating pork for months at a time).

On the other hand, if by value you mean cost; eggs, sandwich wraps, potatoes (which are awesome cooked in coals) and home-made beef heart jerky are the cheapest foods that I take on camping trips when variety and recreation are more important than pack weight and making distance.
>>
Ethanol is also 7.1 cal/g, compared to pure sugar which is only 4 cal/g and solid lard which is 9 cal/g. Moonshine may be the best thing to drink while camping, as long as you stay hydrated.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
>>913587
lekker bru
>>
>>913701
>>913699
>7.1cal/g

Thank you for sharing!
>>
>>913712
No problem! I'm always willing to help out; 4chan has had a ton of useful information that I've used over the years, it's nice to be able to pass a lot of that on.
>>
>>913730
>finding a diamond ring inna bucket of shit

/k/, /ck/, /cgl/ are far worse, /out/ is really the only board I go to. ...if you don't count /hc/.
>>
>>913587
Cured meat and dyer cheeses like extra sharp cheddar are packed with fats which are important when a lot of other shelf stable food is mostly carbs/sugars.

Carnation instant breakfast is a good energy boost with some vitamins. Cheap, light, just add water.

Other than that, go for the classics. Nuts and dried fruit. Candy. Instant oats, cereal bars. I usually bring a freeze dried meal for maximum comfy and moral boost, despite the price.

Carbs are easy to carry when out. Pay more attention to bringing healthy fats and quality protein.
>>
>>913734
Oh, yeah... CIB... I usually put one serving of Carnation instant breakfast, one serving of powdered milk and one serving of instant coffee in an emptied out disposable water bottle, then compress the air out of the bottle so it's just a little ball. You can blow the bottle back up, add water and shake it to mix it up. Pretty handy for a quick boost, and no clean-up.

The peanut butter packs that they put in MREs are pretty hefty at 250 calories (5.9 cal/g). You can pick these up at WinCo for about 60 cents/ea. I keep eight of these in my med kit as an emergency ration.
>>
>>913756
Love the idea. This is now best thread on /out/.
>>
>>913732
/out/ & /diy/ are solid.
>>
File: IMG_1109.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1109.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>913587
Free Gatorade protein bars
>>
>>914538
>automatic disregard due to overused meme

Get new material, fGgot.
>>
>>913587
the answer is GORP (good ol' racist peanuts)
>>
>>913587
If I was going cheap I'd go with peanuts, bananas, and eggs.
>>
>>913624
I usually take a can of beans and heat that over the fire. Eat it right out of the can and pretend I'm a hobo.
>>
>>914538
>because you never know when you need 9 bic lighters
>>
>>915319
>formatting edit

I can't believe nobody has said pemmican. Two ingredients.
>Suet, render into tallow (drives off water, which inhibits bacterial growth and prolongs shelf life).
>Beef heart or round, dehydrate thoroughly (see above parentheses), pound into powder.

Mix til it sticks together. Store tightly wrapped in a cool and dry place for max longevity (google that shit, pemmican shelf life can be insanely long).

You can add nuts and/or dried fruit for flavor, reduces shelf life.
>>
>>915248
Yea that actually sounds great, I would actually do that. Do cans weigh to much?
>>
>>915536
empty cans dont weigh much, no
>>
>>915637
Obviously not empty... Space and weight would be the only concern.
I would love to heat them up and shit in the fire like you mentioned!
>>
>>914538
I laughed audibly.
>>
>>915638
a can of beans or chilli is a little much for multiple day packing trips, but yea one of my staples for short trips, or car camping is a can of hormel and foil wrapped potatoes. the potatoes will take about an hour, the can will be ready in 20 minutes

make sure you vent any can before putting it in a fire. they can explode.
>>
>>915639
Welcome to /out/ newfag! You will see this pathetically over used meme again and again and again.

You to will learn to disregard.
>>
>>913701
Not sure that's sound advice anon.

Using your lard as an example, those calories are going to be no use to you when they're flying through your guts and turned into liquid doo doo.

Same reason that 1,000 calories of a well balanced meal, 1,000 of cookies, or 1,000 of vodka will all contribute to energy levels and weight gain differently. They might have the same amount of potential energy, but your body will process those things very differently and with varying efficiency.
>>
>>915714
>they can explode
Yup they can, I know that.

Honestly a few cans wouldn't be bad to take, it's manageable I think. I would love to eat some Chef Boyardee while camping.
>>
>>913587

Beef jerky and hard tack. Maybe some salted fish.
>>
>>913587
gorp, pemmican, hardtack
>>
>>915638
why on earth would you want to shit in the fire?
>>
>>915901
Just for the helluvit, mm mm mmm, for the smelluvit.
>>
>>915714
Good 'ol beanbombs, never fails to get a rise at deercamp
>>
When you bring cans, do you pack them out or bury them on the trail? Cans just seem like they'd be sharp and annoying to pack out.
>>
>>916075
always pack out
>>
>>916091
>>916075
What does pack out mean?

Non-American here
>>
File: IMG_1399.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1399.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>914557
4u
>>
cracked lentils
>>
>>916192
Two things.
>pack out
Means pack out your trash, sometimes even your shit.
>load out
Means your kit, pack gear, stuff you take with
>pepsi
Really just a total inbred faggpt retard.

There are several ubiquitous memes itt.
Sorry.
>>
>>915320
You want to start by soaking the jerky in a brine first, then dehydrating and powdering it. The salt will not only help kill bacteria during the drying process, but it'll help it keep longer after it has been (pemmicanified?). Powdering the jerky is easiest in a coffee grinder (that you don't EVER use for coffee again). Also, the leaner the jerky is, the better it is for pemmican, so this is a good recipe to use beef heart in, just remember to soak and drain it a couple times to make it less gamey.

>>915248
>>915536
You probably shouldn't cook food in the can, the plastic leeches out into the food (and molecular plastic is a major cancer-causing agent).

>>916075
And you have to wash them out so they don't attract animals. I prefer to not use cans at all, but if you're going to, you can get a small but thick stuff sack to keep edges from cutting through, and line it with a ziplock freezer bag to prevent leaks. That'll save you most of the issues that carrying canned food causes.

Additional note: Canned/whole food is more weight efficient than dehydrated food if you have to carry in your water.
>>
>>913587

Your body needs fat, protein and carbs, so:

Oats (carbs and some protein, not instant oats, regular precooked is best), jerky (protein), salami (protein and fat) and olive oil (fat).

Make hot water, add oats, wait a minute, add a generous amount of oil. Chew on the jerky while going.

Nutrition to weight ratio can't get better, unless you like GORP.

Of course you have to eat realy food to balance it out eventually.
>>
File: 16977929.jpg (215KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
16977929.jpg
215KB, 400x400px
>>913587
instant ramen should do the job. you can eat it without water or spieces.
>>
>>918562
I'm not saying that this isn't largely good advice, but I want to poke one little hole in what you said. Oats aren't really that great of a caloric source; a lot of the calories aren't actually usable, as fibre can be measured in a calorimeter (because it burns) but doesn't get metabolized into energy by the body, and can actually increase digestive movement enough to reduce the absorption of other calorie sources.
>>
>>918567

Oats have about 9% fibre. Just like wheat, almonds, peanuts and lentils.

Saying that fibre in oats prevents your body from using energy is typical internet bullshit.
>>
>>918553
Thanks. I could always just remove it and put it in a cup or something.
>>
>>918595
I never said that fibre prevents your body from using energy, I said that you can't get energy from something that's already in a cathole. Besides, wheat, almonds, peanuts and lentils aren't typically served as a porridge; the extra water makes a difference on how long it stays in your digestive system, getting absorbed.
>>
>>918636

So first it was the fiber, which isn't even higher than in the very common food stuff i have given as an example, now it's the water.

You overthink the food problem.

Trust your peers, your body can maintain it's function while eating small to medium amounts of fiber with water.
>>
>>918553
>canned food
yuck
>>
File: assad drink.jpg (37KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
assad drink.jpg
37KB, 750x709px
>>913587
Just get a dehydrator and a vaccum-bag sealer and eat whatever the fuck you want and it will weigh nothing.

Say no to the freezdried jew.
>>
File: 20130909_explodinghead.png (48KB, 800x288px) Image search: [Google]
20130909_explodinghead.png
48KB, 800x288px
>>918553
>aluminium can
>the plastic will leech

Okay.

Most fucking retarded shit post of 2016.
>>
>>913732
>using /hc/ and not /gif/

Filthy casual.
>>
>>920392
/s/ is for true patricians you fucking dreg
>>
>>920391
The lining is plastic
>>
>>921343
>>921343
yes, most canned food has a plastic lining inside with bpa.

if you hear a can of chili once a month you will be exposed, but in miniscule amounts.
>>
>>920392
>if Andriod 6.0.1 would play webms
>>
>>921356
I am using a burner android with 4.2 and I can play webms just fine.
>>
Other people have mentioned it, but peanut butter wins in all categories. Cost to calories, calories to weight and density, nutritional profile (fat, protein, carbs), no need to cook it, very long shelf life.
>>
File: patrol box 001.jpg (68KB, 550x462px) Image search: [Google]
patrol box 001.jpg
68KB, 550x462px
>>913598
>I assumed it was people who liked to go on camping trips and stuff, but still had some contact with society

It is, disregard the dumbass teenagers eating freeze-dried twigs and bugs in their mom's backyard.

Unless you're backpacking up Mt.Everest, there is no reason to eat shitty food when /out/doors.
>>
>>921356
my old as balls S3 can play them just fine what are you talking about?
>>
>>921356
I'm running 6.0.1 and I can play webms no problem.
>>
>>913587

Cook yourself some nice budget meals you would normally prepare at home and enjoy and freeze them in a ziplock or preferably vac seal.

I do spaghetti and other pastas. Chili, rice. Then I make a nice vegetable dish or two as a side or something to snack on. I often bring frozen smoked sausage for protein. Hummus, mushrooms.

I bring my own pancake mix measured out in bags for quick breakfast options. I also bring a few staples a couple pounds of potatoes some onions and peppers and zucchini. It all fits nicely between a small cooler and a small box we carry kitchen stuff in.

We always wind up having brought too much even on longer trips. It saves a ton of cooking time and fuss which is the biggest benefit with the resources you have available. less time cooking and more time camping.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.