[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cold weather

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 19

File: pDSP1-21841127v750.jpg (153KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
pDSP1-21841127v750.jpg
153KB, 750x750px
What does /out/ wear in the winter?
I just recently got a Gerry trilayer coat and it's niiice. Holds up to the negative degree Fahrenheit weather we get in WI and looks/fits well. Better than any North Face or anything I've worn.
I also wear a scarf and hat knitted by my mother but am looking for some glove recs.
>>
LL Bean union suit, milsurp thermal bottoms, German milsurp insulated boots, wigwam socks, Magellan pants, generic balaclava, Kinko Axeman mittens. I haven't been cold in three years.
>>
>>913348
Edit: forgot my fleece pullover and Berne work coat.
>>
>>913348
OP here, I also wear the union suit along with alpaca wool socks and palladium boots. I need some gloves though, for walking around I have some of those fingerless gloves that have a mitten flap that folds over, but those are also alpaca wool and not ideal if I actually need to work with my hands
>>
>>913359
I have never had a pair of gloves that let me work with my hands that actually kept them warm under 25F. I'd recommend a pair of nice wool liners and a pair of work gloves, that usually works well for me and is pretty cheap.
>>
>>913345
Bibs!

Got a basic canvas pair for fall/early winter, an insulated carhart pair, and a few blaze orange pairs.

Bibs rock.
>>
>>913345
REI Merino wool base layer.
Oros pants, jacket, gloves, and beanie.
L.L. Bean Wild Cat boots with Toasty Seat aerogel inserts.
Muffler mother made for me.

Seriously, fuck winter.
>>
>>913396
I love winter. Being cold sucks but I'd much rather be freezing in the snow than sweating my balls off in unbreathable muggy weather
>>
>>913402
I get both were I live. I prefer green than grey and white.
>>
>>913408
I do too, which is why I said that. But I agree, green is real nice. But so is a sunny day after a fresh snowfall. The worst part about snow is when it turns to slush.
October/mid autumn is the best time of year, though.
>>
Patagonia thermal weight baselayer, Patagonia R1 quarter zip, Rab Xenon-X, in that order.
>>
File: 1427939765168.jpg (508KB, 1296x862px) Image search: [Google]
1427939765168.jpg
508KB, 1296x862px
>>913345
plebs
>>
Upper
Outer layer: Alpha Lt Jacket
Mid layer: Atom LT
Base Layer: Phase AR

Bottom:
Outer Layer: Gamma Lt or LEAF combat
Mid layer: Phase RHO

Feet:
Smart Wool sock/Salomon/Lowa gortex
>>
Are there any good jackets that come in tall sizes?

> being 6 1/2 feet is suffering
>>
>>914259
My big bro knows that struggle, he's just as tall. I don't know where he gets his kit, but LL Bean has lotsa good stuff, all available in tall.
>>
Well I've been working in the woods these days and even below freezing I get hot so fast and I start sweating because I'm a fat cunt. So while I'm working I wear just a synthetic tracksuit, moleskin pants and some boots. Clothes wear pretty quickly in the woods.
Never wear cotton shirts underneath it is death if you get wet. When I stop working I put a wool coat on and I'm okay all day.
>>
>>913345
vintage industries axel 2011

nice and warm
>>
>>913363
yea bibs are god-tier. i usually have to take mine off because 5 minutes of movement even at 0 degrees gets me sweating.
>>
>>914259
I get this catalog called Kingsize that usually has pretty high quality stuff for big/tall men.
>>
File: IMG_4688.webm (3MB, 740x416px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4688.webm
3MB, 740x416px
Mountain Hardware pants and lots of fleece.
>>
>>914259
Columbia makes a ton of Tall sizes.
>>
>>913345
What are /out/'s best recommendation for boots?
>>
File: 13495423_P_C14175269_M.jpg (20KB, 510x510px) Image search: [Google]
13495423_P_C14175269_M.jpg
20KB, 510x510px
>>913345
I do a 4 or 5 layer system and my outer parka is an Alpinetek parka of some sort. Its not a grear people thing, just a winter jacket but I love it because it was only $200 so I don't have to be too scared of wrecking it when I'm out.

I'm thinking of buying low grade reindeer furs that have scars and shit on them so they can't be used as decorative pieces for relatively cheap (~ $100/ea) and making myself an anorak. Anybody have experience doing this?

Its usually about -20C and -35C with windchill here in winter but when I go out, as soon as I start working building a shelter or snowshoeing or whatever I end up stripping down to just my shirt b/c I'm generating so much body heat. When I go to sleep in my shelter (without a sleeping bag) I wrap my current reindeer hide around my core under my parka and use a little string to just keep it in place a bit. Super warm.
>>
I got a couple high end EMS layers that I found at goodwill for $5. Otherwise I'm usually in wool. Big wool socks, long undies, and a peacoat. And fleece.
>>
/trv/fag here

going to china soon (feb-may), and I'm a bit worried about the weather
from what I can gather it will be cold and dry, 5-20 degrees Celsius

I'm Australian so I know nothing about cold weather, it got to -3 here maybe once in my lifetime
I go skiing on our tiny mountains in a t-shirt and windbreaker

I just don't have any confidence in what I can get at local stores, they seem hugely overpriced and a lot of the stuff they have seems like it is just for show
(Kathmandu, north face etc)

happy to buy in china, though I hear the situation there is largely the same
>>
>>914665
>5-20 Celsius
>cold
>>
>>914719
mate where I am 15 degrees is cold, and 40 is hot

snownigger
>>
>>914719
>>914721
central canadian here

Hot gets up to 45C with the humidex
Cold gets to -50C with windchill

Its an interesting place to live... weather wise. Culture, architecture, community, etc... is pretty bland tho.
>>
>>914665
where in China you going?
>>
Upperbody
1. Aclima Marius baselayer
2. Devold Oprimum or mum made sweater
3. Fjällräven Greenland jacket or Klättermusen algrön jacket.

Lower body
1. Aclima wool longjohns
2. Fjällräven Keb/Fjällräven Vidda pro
2. Ulvang wool socks

I live in Denmark and have temperatures to +10 to -5 celcius. Costal climate so always windy as fuck and humid...
>>
>>913359
Gloves with mitten flaps never seem to keep my hands warm, just get dedicated mittens or gloves.
Where are you at in WI? I'm in Waushara county. Lots of little patches of DNR land for exploring and shit, one could probably stealth camp out there too.
>>
>>915250
a week in beijing, but mainly in the south/southest
canton, kunming

but open to suggestions you know
>>
File: 1478732590664.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1478732590664.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
Arc'teryx shills, convince me to buy a $650 jacket. I've been considering it for a while yet but have not been moved sufficiently to just do it

>>914241
>>
>>914502
Came
>>
File: Cabelas Grand Teton Parka.jpg (49KB, 420x350px) Image search: [Google]
Cabelas Grand Teton Parka.jpg
49KB, 420x350px
>>913345
>What does /out/ wear in the winter?

Last year I managed to snag a Cabela’s Grand Teton GoreTex shell parka for $70 on sale (regularly $200) and the zip-in Primaloft insulated liner for $40 (regularly $100) for snowblowing and ice fishing but it was so warm last winter that I only wore it once.

So far this winter it's been pretty cold and snowy and so I’ve been wearing it regularly and love it.
>>
>>918135
>>
>>918135

I also picked up their GoreTex Snow Runner boots, which are pretty comfortable and sturdy, yet light weight.
>>
>>913359
Ive spent so long trying to find cold weather gloves that still let me use my hands, but i get sweaty asf so breathability is important. Ive found several options, i change it to my situation: merino liner, polartec power stretch liner, rab vapour rise, montane prism glove, buffalo mitt. Britbong, i work at generic camping shop (go outdoors fags kys) so i get good shit dirt cheap
>>
Control F : No long john silvers.

Are you guys even trying?
>>
Upperbody
Helly hansen lifa warm baselayer
Rab nucleus fleece/ strata hoodie
Montane sabretooth
Or if its minging ive got a buffalo special six shirt

Lowerbody
Rab power stretch pro leggings
Army surplus polycotton trousers/ montane super terra pants
Rab stretchneo shell trousers

Usually got some bridgedale or smartwool socks, managed to get a a superfeet winter insole for like £10 tho so i dont wear proper winter socks
>>
>>918257
see >>913396
it is called "base layer"
>>
File: Long john silvers away!!!.jpg (23KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
Long john silvers away!!!.jpg
23KB, 240x320px
>>918282
Round these parts, we call em Long John Silvers
>>
>>918257
idunno if i would want a dedicated junkpouch like that. seems a little too delighful for me.
>>
Rab Xenon-X

Patagonia R1

Patagonia thermal weight base layers

Columbia Silver Ridge pants

Darn Tough socks
>>
File: 20161204_194848.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161204_194848.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>>918353
>>
File: adidas-response-tr-boost_men.jpg (42KB, 400x390px) Image search: [Google]
adidas-response-tr-boost_men.jpg
42KB, 400x390px
Question.

I just bought a bunch of shit to start trail running in the woods nearby this winter. But I just noticed the shoes I ordered look like they have some mesh parts and I know they aren't waterproof. What can I do in the sock department to keep my feet dry If I wind up running in snow? I was planning on just wearing wool socks, but now I feel like I might need neoprene or some shit to keep dry. Thoughts?

Pic related
>>
File: 9zhyzvm.gif (3MB, 309x313px) Image search: [Google]
9zhyzvm.gif
3MB, 309x313px
>>913345
IS there a jacket that supports Israel? I remember seeing one on Nathan 4 You. I would really love to support them since Obama has decided to let the UN declare that Israel stop developing settlements and supports a two party system. This isnt' right.
>>
File: d3f.jpg (41KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
d3f.jpg
41KB, 625x626px
>>918517
>>
I wear an topnotch windproof softshell, a bodywarmer, and a mens shirt.
>>
>>918504
Should I just return these and get some goretex trail running shoes?
>>
>>918138
was looking into these for some light snow trekking, opinions about them?
>>
>>913345
This isn't the best gear, and hell, I probably wouldn't even recommend most people go this bare, but I typically just wear fleece pajama bottoms under a pair of jeans and a fleece sweater under a fall jacket, also wool socks and a beanie.
>>
>>918504
How much snow do you expect to be running in? If the trails are clear, mesh and thick wool socks would be my preference, since a little dampness is still warm, and warm with mesh will dry out. If you expect to trudge, get goretex and plan on them not breathing well enough to keep your feet dry, regardless of the temperature.
>>
File: foster-wms_249190_901_1.png (3MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
foster-wms_249190_901_1.png
3MB, 3000x3000px
>>913345
Is this a good jacket for winter walks?

I will be using this in central Europe in temperatures ranging from -10 to +10°C (263,15K to 283,15K)

http://www.mckinley.eu/men/jackets/foster-ux-p146186

Material:
71% Polyamide, 29% Polyester
Weight:
600 g
>>
>>918960

It's not waterproof is it?
>>
File: New Balance 964BR.jpg (40KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
New Balance 964BR.jpg
40KB, 450x450px
>>918679
>Should I just return these and get some goretex trail running shoes?

Yes, why deal with the hassle of wet feet?
>>
>>918966
>why deal with the hassle of wet feet?
Funny, that's the exact reason I recommended mesh instead. Goretex isn't as breathable as most people would need in order to remove perspiration from feet while running.
>>
w2c adroid /out/ fit?
>>
>>918960
>no fill power specified
>no down weight specified
600g tho so if its a good weight of good down then youll be fine
>50:50 down
Stay tf away this is a povo cancer duvet
>>
File: Tulup.jpg (61KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Tulup.jpg
61KB, 540x960px
>>913345
Wear the good ol' trusty tulup with 3 layers of wool
underneath. Its is heavy but only coat i have to keep me warm when it drops to -45C
>>
>>919645
Nice
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.