[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

planning a canoe camping trip for next summer. anyone have tips,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: canoe-camping.jpg (152KB, 940x420px) Image search: [Google]
canoe-camping.jpg
152KB, 940x420px
planning a canoe camping trip for next summer.
anyone have tips, or experiences to share?
>>
>>913303
Obvious tip, but keep your gear in a waterproof container, and tie a buoy to it with plenty of rope attached.
>>
>>913303
If it's summer - wear sandals during the day, switch to closed footwear in the evening on shore.

Tips from mistakes I've made when I first started from zero:
Bring a flask of strong booze if anyone falls into cold water. Helps with the shakes that do not let them change clothes.
Waferproof harmonicas. My B has never been the same.
Stop alongside a bank and everyone get out. Pulling a canoe with someone inside will result in their end being submerged.
Should this happen, do not push canoe back in the water, as they will be submerged further.
Yes, this happened to me.

Also - it's hella fun whatever happens, as long as there's current. So no worries.
>>
>>913311
>it's hella fun whatever happens
Portages are never fun.
>>
>>913311
>booze for someone with hypothermia
are you trying to kill him?
>>
File: myboat.jpg (139KB, 1800x891px) Image search: [Google]
myboat.jpg
139KB, 1800x891px
Watch the sun. depending what month you go in, it can be a killer bring lots of sunscreen. Be careful with camping in to open of an area be sure your canoe can't be picked up by the wind. It will destroy your tent bro.
>>
Bring lot's of suncreen and wear a bandanna and sunglasses. You will get a ton of sun reflecting off the water.
>>
File: 100_6238.jpg (1MB, 3280x2460px) Image search: [Google]
100_6238.jpg
1MB, 3280x2460px
>>913303

>Get a waterproof duffel bag.

I canoe every year and I have a 115 liter duffetbag that I throw my bagpack into so nothing gets wet. But you can buy a cheaper one and just fill it with things that arent waterproof

>Get a hat

>Get something to sit on in the canoe. If the weather is good and the water is calm i just sit on my life vest.

>Get sandals

>Remember to bring sunglasses

>Turn the canoes upside down on land so they dont drift back into the river and remain dry if it rains

Where are you gonna sail OP?
>>
Bring a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen, the reflective water surface basically doubles your sun exposure and getting burned will ruin the entire trip.

Also remember to give the ends of your canoe a few good kicks before you jump in to disembark t. somebody who got attacked by a dock spider the size of my hand
>>
>>914184
I will be going to the Allegheny national forest and probably a trip to the adk as well
>>
>>913303
Make sure you go skinny dipping and lay out in the sun afterwords. It's literally the best thing bout being outdoors
>>
>>913303
Portages are shit and a dick to do. Overall though it is great. Two summers ago i dif the Quetico in Canada. 10/10. Also invest in a nice dry bag
>>
Use dry bags, or double-layered tough plastic linings that are well tied-off. Leave some air in them so they'll float if you dump; no need for buoys.

If you're doing whitewater (I recommend you do), know how to paddle it safely and rent an ABS (pref. Royalex) boat. Kevlar, fibreglass, and grummans will get wrecked by rocks in current. Also for whitewater don't use a wooden paddle.

Get water shoes or good sandals for the day - I have teva churns myself - and bring whatever shoes you want for the campsite, as long as they're covered. If you're doing a lot of tracking/lining or dragging, maybe bring hiking boots with ankle support instead.

Similarly, have a set of wet clothes for the day (wool or quick-dry) and dry clothes for the site (can be cotton). Don't wear jeans.

Bring food that won't take up too much space or weight - e.g. pasta, rice, dried veggies for rehydration - especially for longer trips or lots of portaging.

Gotta repeat what others are saying about sunscreen, etc. Stay hydrated. It's easy to get sunfucked.

In lakes or if there's beavers around, use bleach or aquatabs for water purification. Giardia is a bitch.

Canoe tripping is all in the route and imo it's way more satisfying when you feel like you're on an expedition, instead of paddling around in circles. Do your research on the area and plan what you want to do and see before you go. This is the best way there is to go camping.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.