[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I just put beef in a box of salt to turn it into beef jerky,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1474.png (1MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1474.png
1MB, 1242x2208px
Can I just put beef in a box of salt to turn it into beef jerky, sorry I'm. Ew to this. I saw the stuff about putting it on a grill and put a fan in front of it. I'm wandering more about survival like I didn't have a fan and I was outside.

Pic unrelated and if anyone can comment about this now I'm thinking about buying it.
>>
File: 790.jpg (46KB, 530x378px) Image search: [Google]
790.jpg
46KB, 530x378px
Salted beef is not jerky. even just sticking meat in a bunch of salt isn't salted meat. Jerky is meat that has been (optionally) marinated, and dried. In order to make salt meat, you need to go through multiple steps of brining and aging. if you wanna go super cheap, get a box fan and a bunch of cheap home radiator filters, put your cuts of meat in the ridges of the filters, and stack them on top of the box fan with the air blowing through them. Technique based Alton Brown.
>>
>>912878
Not likely; I've never heard of that being done successfully. You'd definitely end up having to change the salt a few times if it worked at all.

I'd start by soaking the strips in brine overnight and then smoke it over a hardwood fire until it was done. It can be stored for quite a while in dry salt, as long as there isn't thick marbling.
>>
File: bresaola-1.jpg (116KB, 500x718px) Image search: [Google]
bresaola-1.jpg
116KB, 500x718px
>>912878
Dont know about the bow but to cure meat you have to hold it in salt for some time and then smoke it to get that flavour. You can just cut it in small strips - salt as fuck and hang it in warm, ventilated area to dry but make sure no flies get to it. Same goes for fish... Smell really bad but tasye good with beer
>>
>>912878
That's a good bow, I have one myself in 50 pound draw. nice that it comes with the kit, too.
>>
>>912878
> I can't use a fan
>>912881
>You should use a fan

4Chan: always helpful
>>
>>912887
in hindsight I probably should have actually read his full post.
>>
>>912878

you could do it one of two ways: hang drying, or as others have said, smoking. Both work, but leaving your meat to hang lends itself to losing much of it to flies and rancidity.

your best bet is to smoke it. A fire with some greenery thrown on top should do. The more smoke you can keep in an enclosed space, the better.
>>
>>912878
as for the bow: if you haven't already done so, head to an archery shop first and get yourself measured for draw length, poundage etc. Buy once cry once etc.
>>
>>912900
I'm no expert (I make my jerky on a dehydrator), but I believe a low, cool fire would be better than greenery, as leaves and needles would impart a more tarry flavor that wouldn't be desirable. But that's speculation, you should find out for yourself before you potentially waste meat.
>>
>>912878
>I'm wandering more about survival
>like I didn't have a fan and I was outside

I think I can safely say, you'd be among the first to die

and then we'd eat you

>bring you to a simmer, right on time
>run my greasy fingers down your greasy spine
>>
you can do it in the oven pretty easily

just google it
>>
Make biltong. It's way better than jerky.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.