[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you read Hatchet as a kid? That series is probably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Hatchet.jpg (20KB, 236x400px) Image search: [Google]
Hatchet.jpg
20KB, 236x400px
How many of you read Hatchet as a kid? That series is probably what got me into /out/.

Also, I just got a library card the other day so do you guys have any book recommendations for /out/ related literature? I checked out a collection of stories by Ernest Hemingway but I'm not really digging it.

General /out/ book thread I guess.
>>
If you want something more economical and philosophical, Walden. If you want adventure, the rest of Gary Paulsen's hatchet series is pretty aight. Liver-eating Johnson is fucking brutal, it's the inspiration for the movie Jeremiah Johnson.
>>
>>912286
>pass the liver

And I have a hardbound, first edition.

With out reading the source material, the liver scene with Johnson and del Gue in the movie is so subtle it's imperceptible.

Highly recommended.
>>
I love this series along with the My Side of The Mountain books by Jean Craighead George.
>>
>>912259
Loved this book when I read it in school, listened to the audio book yesterday. Muh nostalgia trip.
>>
>>912320
Yes, these are books that made me love to be innawoods.
>>
>>912259
It was required reading in the 4th grade, pretty sure i have a copy here still.
>>
>>912286
I have Life In The Woods by Walden downloaded on my phone but I haven't read it yet. I'll definitely check it out. I read the entire Hatchet series as a kid. Loved them all.

>>912320
I'll look into My Side of the Mountain! Thanks for the recommendation. Is it a series?
>>
File: niggan.jpg (106KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
niggan.jpg
106KB, 1600x800px
>>912259
UHHHHHHHHHHH HATCHET?
>>
>>912499
Lol. Loved the way he said that in that scene.
>>
File: IMG_4764.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4764.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>912321
>>912259
Do they actually hold up being older?

I remember reading those in grade school. Weren't there two or maybe three books? I remember getting into the second one and being like "he's stuck innawoods again?!?" and thought they should've just stopped at one. But had to be like 20yrs ago and I hate reading now.
>>
>>912514
The second book is a hypothetical scenario where he never actually made it out of the woods and had to survive the winter. I think there are 5 books total.
>>
>>912259
My side of the mountain 8/8 m8
>>
>>912514
I got a copy of the series about 2 years ago, imo they held up fine, they did feel a little "here we go again" but it was a fun read, winter hatchet and the winter one are the best, after that they kind of vary in quality. Easy read, knocked them out over a particularly lazy weekend.
>>
>>912259
Read this and The River
Good reads. Like the other anons said there's the "Here we go again" factor, but those two books are fundamentally different from one another. The Hatchet is a disaster/survival scenario while The River is a re-enactment gone wrong.

Never read the others, didn't know there WERE others but now I can add those to my list.
>>
>mfw this same thread is perennial and always serves to remind me of the young fag/new fag aspect of /out/
>>
>>912495
There are 5 all together, but only 3 are worth reading. The other 2 are childrens picture books.
1.My Side of The Mountain
2.On the Far Side of The Mountain
3.Frightful's Mountain
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.