[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/ I've been watching a lot of mushroom and plant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: chicken of the woods.jpg (96KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
chicken of the woods.jpg
96KB, 640x479px
Hey /out/ I've been watching a lot of mushroom and plant foraging videos lately and I've been wondering where I can find some good beginners guides to foraging. I want to eat some wild shrooms
>>
Are you an expert in mushrooms? Yes?
Then avoid wild mushrooms. No? Then avoid wild mushrooms.

You dont mess with mushrooms.
>>
>>911206
how do I become an expert on mushrooms
>>
>>911210
Study mycology.
>>
>>911201
>where?
>what are libraries even for with 4chan?
>>
>>911210
by eating them
>>
File: IMG_4220.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4220.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I've eaten that and it didn't taste anything like chicken.
>>
>>911201
Location is key I started out and the foothills of the Cascades when I was 16 because we could pick mushrooms after school before it got dark Boxhead controls sold for $4 a pound and gas was $0.95 a gallon then we pick we take hedgehogs in the late fall between Thanksgiving and Christmas and they'd sell for about $12 a pound and always pick in the yellow foot it's pretty late in the season now but the pickings good Southern Oregon Northern California and coastal regions
>>
Depending on where you live, you can probably find a local mushroom club. It's best to have some hands on training and follow people around than to try to learn it from field guides.

If you do find a club, try to act like you are at least interested in mushroom biology/ecology or mushrooms in general, not just edible ones. I've led several mushroom forays and the people fixated on eating wild mushrooms can be pretty annoying, although many eventually move beyond this aspect and become genuinely interested in mycology.
>>
google "identify mushrooms in anon's local area"

find out which ones are likely to grow, only bother with ones that should be eaten
>>
>>911201
100 Edible Mushrooms

Mushrooms Demystified

North American Boletes: A Color Guide To the Fleshy Pored Mushrooms

And you should look for regional specific guides. (southeast, northwest , ect)

Also >>911323
this.
>>
File: 20160916_162855.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160916_162855.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>911201
>>911206

There's loads of small mycological clubs and societies-- virtually everywhere with a decent mushroom season will have at least one. Failing that, there's always NAMA.

Join one and go on forays. Practically all of the people there will be over 50, know local edibles, and be happy to share their knowledge with you. Seriously, this is the way to get started. You will learn more from a day in the field with someone who knows their sight IDs and basic taxonomy than you will from a month with a book.

That being said...

All good guides will be region-specific. I'm NorCal / PNW, so I recommend
All That the Rain Promises and More (David Aurora)
Mushrooms Demystified (David Aurora)
Mushrooms of the Redwood Coast (Christian Schwarz and Noah Seagle)
California Mushrooms (Desjardan, Wood & Stevens)

shit I tell everyone who insterested in eating wild mushrooms:
Learn the deadly poisonous ones as well as the edibles. The life you save might be your own. Learn hunting etiquette. Be respectful of the forest.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.