[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

just started doing archery in my backyard, got myself pic related,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: download (1).jpg (4KB, 273x184px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4KB, 273x184px
just started doing archery in my backyard, got myself pic related, its a kid's 20b bow I got for $30, any tips for a beginner? Also Archery thread :D
>>
>>910874
Stop what you're doing and watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Lars Andersen has worked hard to debunk the Hollywood myths of modern archery, and it pays to learn what they are and how to avoid them yourself. Modern archery teaches that you need THINGS to be good, compound bows that are dangerous and expensive, fiber optic sights that won't make you a better shot, stabilizers that build in you bad habits. THESE ARE NOT THINGS THE BEST ARCHERS OF THE PAST USED. Lars scoured ancient texts to rediscover the knowledge lost to time, to corporate meddling, to help the archery community as a whole return to their practical and useful roots.

Things will not make you a better archer, practice, dedication, learning the lessons of those before you and applying them to your training, these will turn you into an archer of old proper capability.
>>
>>910874

There're a few things. If I were you, I'd get a real bow, be it longbow or recurve (you seem like you're going the trad route). Entry level is fine and second hand is fine.

Learn the basics of form - i.e. bow hand grip and correct bow arm rotation, drawing with the back/holding with back tension, find your anchor point and how release. Youtube isn't bad for this.

I'd also pick a shooting system and stick to it for the moment, e.g. I personally shoot 3-under with a high anchor point and gap shoot (JImmy Blackmon explains the system pretty well on Youtube).

You should also develop a bit of a technical understanding of trad archery i.e. arrow spine and the factors that go into and and how this relates to tuning a trad bow. Basically, an arrow needs to bend a bit when its shot to fly straight. Arrows come in different stiffnesses (spine). If you're a right-handed shooter with the arrow on the left side of the bow (where the shelf will be cut), an arrow thats too stiff won't bend enough and will deflect left off the bow. Too weak, it'll bend to much and tend off right. Greater arrow length, greater draw length, more draw weight and heavier points make an arrow bend more or "act weaker" when shot. Shorter arrows, less point weight, shorter draws and lighter points mean an arrow will bend less when shot. There's more to it you can read up on, but that's the basics.
>>
>>911043

Also, don't fuck around with bad arrows. Pick a carbon shaft you want to use (e.g. Gold Tip Hunters - midweight, good quality, not terribly expensive), mock one up on the 3rivers spine calculator and get some made at your local archery store.

You'll have some durable arrows that fly more consistently than you can shoot them, which will let you get on with the business of working on your shooting.
>>
File: LUCID DREAM.jpg (70KB, 600x489px) Image search: [Google]
LUCID DREAM.jpg
70KB, 600x489px
>>910900
Mind blown
>>
>>911043
>>911055
All garbage, please watch the video listed in >>910900
>>
>>910900
I honestly thought you were supposed to hold the arrow on the right side of the bow... that'd how I taught myself. It seems retarded to put it on the left.
>>
>>911392
>taught myself
Well there's your problem right there.
>>
>>910900
none of that shit he showed off is remotely practical.
>>
>>913978
trick shooter showing off with a light bow.
someone once told me that there is no wrong or right way to shoot a bow, if you can hit the target dead center when you release the string, no one can tell you that you are doing it wrong.
ive had dumbasses coming up to me at the range carrying their short asian bows telling me that i shoot the wrong way etc. but i allways outshoot those role players with my crappy western wrongshooting recurve.
>>
>>910900
This video is 90% bullshit and 10% a guy being really good at a really specific subset of archery.
Don't fall for his "this is how the mystical archer-ninja of the past fought" nonsense, its the same shit as people trying to tell you that katanas would cut straight through other swords and then through the guy wielding it for good measure.
I can't be assed to type out multiple posts of shit, but know that archery is a skill that was used by dozens of different cultures over a huge period of time in a huge number of different ways, and what he is presenting here is probably not any of them, at least functionally.
The things he sells as "rediscovered secrets" like holding arrows in his bow hand, or shooting off the other side of the stave are things that people have been doing for centuries in various parts of the world, but they generally had better things to do with their time than practice shooting out of naruto rolls, or returning fire after catching the slowest arrow ever launched.

Modern high-tech archery is developed to be very good at one specific thing, consistency and accuracy in specific conditions, and if that is what you want then stabilizers and sights are going to help. Lars isn't going to be winning any olympic competitions with his 20lb 8" draw bow and inch wide arrow nocks. The guy is good at what he does, but what he does is trickshooting and nothing more.

The general rule is practice what you want to be good at. If you want to hunt, practice accuracy from standing at a variety of distances and elevations, using "correct" form, whatever you decide on, and with the equipment you're going to use. If you want to compete, practice at the standard ranges using all the modern gear. If you want to look cool on youtube, do rolls and jump and stuff, its probably really fun, just don't try and sell it as something it isn't.
>>
>>914027
well written, now forget what you have learned and go do barrelrows carrying the arrows in hand, its the only way
>>
>>913978
I see you bought into the Hollywood archery hype.

>>914008
As did you.

>>914027
And you.

Like jesus guys, can you at least pretend to know what you're talking about before making asses of yourselves?
>>
>>914055
yeah and you bought into a aspie on youtube.
do some reading son, there is a ton of different shooting styles around the world and there has always been that way, cant say someone is shooting the wrong way if they can hit the target.
>>
>>914058
I'm 99% sure he's fucking with you, but with the fucking retarded comments I've seen on that video from people who have never held a bow I'm not so sure. It's flimsy plinky trick-shit which has absolutely no application to any kind of combat or hunting sitation. A shot from a ranged weapon needs to be precise, reliable and penetrative enough to put your target down for good from a variety of ranges. His little 20'' thing isn't going to do shit, and he's not going to 'put two arrows into your eyes before you've even drawn your bow', as I've seen some people say. I've tried not to get into this retarded argument but it sucks seeing people trying to deceive newbies.
>>
>>914061
i sure hope he is fucking with me, but alot of people act like they used to ride the short bus to school, and even if im replying to a troll, some tard might read it and come to his senses.
>>
>>914058
>tons of different shooting styles
>not looking at the original ancient texts
Yeah okay buddy.

>>914061
Uhh, no his style of archery adheres to the original, practical styles that include war. His style is deadly and accurate and fast, and you'll never reach his level of competency unless you give up your stupid carbon fiber bows and stabilizers, which do nothing may I add.

>>914066
You're right, my only hope is someone comes to their senses.
>>
File: 20150818_175633.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150818_175633.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
i am a fag
>>
>>911392
It has to do with the archer's paradox. Lars is a performer who lies to market himself. He even admitted as much in the damage control video he put of recently. The entire videos is him saying "okay, I said a bunch of misleading things, and lied about stuff, but it's okay because it's entertainment."
>>
>>914190
>His style is deadly and accurate and fast
Have you seen the damage control video where he admits he misses most of the time, relies on light draw weights, and that he'd be useless without luck?

I know you're trolling, but a lot of people are stupid enough to fall for his bullshit. He's a trick archer, and a very good one, but his style isn't practical, accurate to what he describes, and is useless when you can't control the variables to make it look good. It's entertainment, not practical archery.
>>
>>910874
The bow you have now is fine for learning, no rush to jump to heavy weights (unless you want to kill things), though higher poundage will give your arrows a higher velocity and flatter flight path but whatever.

Look up Jeff Kavanagh on youtube and watch his videos, they're super helpful. Get your release down, your stance or whatever, master the vertical line. And go for consistency. Take your time, focus etc and make sure you do the exact same thing every single time. Once you can place all your arrows consistently, then you can place them consistently wherever you want.

After that you can get into snap shooting or instinctive shooting, running around in the woods, shooting from different positions, etc.

Have fun, archery is awesome.
>>
>>911392
It varies. Arrows generally go on the opposite side of the bow to your string hand (for the traditional western three finger draw), but can go on the other side it's just awkward. If you're doing a thumb draw then the arrow goes on the same side as your string hand.

Also OP learn thumb draw, it's superior to three finger. Easier to hold arrows in any positions, easier to knock and shoot arrows quickly, can give you a longer draw if you care and kinematically it puts your arm in a better orientation for pulling making it easier to draw higher poundage bows, but most importantly it gives a significantly smoother release.
>>
I don't claim to be an expert and there is plenty I don't know, but I have been shooting and hunting with traditional bows for over thirty years.

I shoot instinctively with three fingers, split fingers.

Here are a few basic tips to get you started in the right direction.

You need a bow of decent quality, not a plastic toy. Here in the states you can find a decent used or starter bow for a little over a hundred USD, sometimes even less.

This bow should be of weight you can draw easily. If you struggle to get it back, you will have a hard time getting consistent.

You need arrows that are the right stiffness, also called spine, that will fly well out of your bow, so that they don't fishtail side to side or propoise up and down.

You will probably need a glove or tab to protect your string hand.

Lastly some kind of target to shoot into to practice. I prefer a bag style because it is easier to pull the arrows out.

I also highly recommend a bow stringer, for stringing and unstringing your bow, so that you don't twist the limbs.

That is a basic list of what is needed to get started with a traditional bow.

There is a site called texasbowhunter.com that is a huge archery community, free to join, and very helpful, check out the traditional forum especially the stickys at the top.
>>
Let me add, most (but not all) traditional archers shoot off the bow shelf, with no arrow rest. If you do this, you need real feathers for your fleching and not plastic vanes which tend to hit the bow as they pass and throw your shots off.
>>
>>914027
Modern bows are for one thing, crutches to help people who have no skills what so ever and have lots of money to burn.

He's right though, Western archery is terrible.
>>
>>914533
Actually, you'll only get benefit out of a modern recurve and it's add ons if you're already a competent archer. It's like saying that a free floating barrel and a .5MOA rifle are just crutches for poor shooters. It just reduces non-human error.
>>
>>910900
This guys just fucking around. He knows Anderson is full of shit. I've got him to admit it once before.
>>
>>910874
archery is a great hobby to get into
if you want to start off with a toy bow to see how you like it, that's OK; you can always upgrade later

I would strongly, strongly recommend practicing from a standing position
get bullet tip arrows, these are the kind used for targets
arrows don't break easily, and most arrows that break are repairable with spare parts and glue
so buy decent arrows even if you are starting, and keep damaged ones for later

you don't need a quiver to start with, and if you are using a toy bow you won't need a finger guard either

but you will need a fore-arm guard to protect your arm from being hit by the string
you will also need a target that won't damage your arrows, you can make these but if you have to

safety is fairly simple
1. don't shoot up into the air
2. don't shoot where there are things behind your target
3. don't shoot at people, anything the arrow might bounce off, or animals (until you are ready for hunting)

NEVER FIRE A BOW WITHOUT AN ARROW, either by snapping the string or by trying to shoot something that isn't an arrow
it can seriously damage a bow, and is a serious matter of discipline

I'l see if I can find a good learners guide online for you

>>910900
jesus, stop spreading this
shit around the net
it's hard enough for beginners to learn without the messiah come-again Andersen getting involved

>>914525
>>911043
this is all solid advice
>>
>>914673

You make some really good points, however I am going to disagree with you or clearify on one thing.

If you have a damaged arrow, particularily a carbon shaft (by far the most common these days), you do not want to shoot it ever. Now that is if the shaft itself is cracked or broken. If a feather comes off you and glue another one on, no problem. If you break the nock, no problem, you can just put another one in.

To check a carbon arrow, flex it back and forth. They will bend. If you hear any cracking noises. You need to discard that arrow. If you shoot it, it may splinter and parts might go into your hand holding the bow.
>>
>>914027
Nailed it.

This guy is just as much a snake oil salesmen as those pick up artist douchebags.

People believe shit like this because nobody wants to accept the reality that hard work and practice are the most effective ways to increase your skill.
>>
>>914055

T. Doctorate of armchair studies
>>
>>914525
I always forget about Texasbowhunter.com unless it comes up in a search. Should probably join, being that I live in the true capitol of Texas ordained by the almighty God himself, College-fucking-Station.

Gig 'em or whatever the fuck they say. Though 2bh I find it rather sad just how much of TAMU tradition is based on TU. Like fucking get over u fucking betas.

t. Grad Aggie who wasn't here in undergrad to get indoctrinated
>>
>>910900
i own and shoot both a compound and a trad recurve, and everything i can do with my recurve is twice as easy with my compound... please explain why my compound havent exploded and killed innocent bystanders yet, why i get better accuracy at longer ranges with my sight, and why all my bad habits comes from my stabiliser.
>>
>>914673
>you don't need a quiver to start with, and if you are using a toy bow you won't need a finger guard either
Just stick arrows in your belt, works fantastically and is traditional. As for a tab or glove though, even a 30lb bow can do nerve damage if you're not accustomed, and that's really not something you want.

>but you will need a fore-arm guard to protect your arm from being hit by the string
Seriously? You don't need a tab, but you need an arm guard? Armguards are for fucktards with shit form. With correct form you'll never hit your arm, and the sting of stringslap is a good reminder that you fucked up.
>>
File: Arrow through the Hand(1).jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Arrow through the Hand(1).jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>914737
'Tis but a flesh wound!
>>
>>914404
>He's a trick archer, and a very good one, but his style isn't practical

Wrong, watch the video and learn from it. How many times I gotta say this before it sinks in?

>>914671
Damage control

>>914789
Watch the video and get back to me when you have an actual argument.

>>914800
>i own and shoot
>i
Anecdote, disregarded.
>>
>>914803

>anything safety related is for retards

Seriously? Red lights are for fucktards with shit driving form. With correct form you'll never have a car crash, and the sting of paraplegia is a good reminder that you fucked up.
>>
>>915708

>Tipping intensifies
>>
>>915736
>hitting your limp wrist and getting a minor sting is totally comparable to running a red light and getting into a head on collision.

They really just let anyone post here these days, huh?
>>
>>915737
I don't think you know how to use that meme.
>>
>>915708
>Wrong, watch the video and learn from it. How many times I gotta say this before it sinks in?

>Watch the video and get back to me when you have an actual argument.

Why not show people those ancient text and images that shows how to shoot a bow the proper way instead of a danish retardlooking guy doing trick shooting?

>Anecdote, disregarded.
Damage controll?
>>
>>915861
>why not show these people
He did, in the video, did you even watch?
>>
>>915883
i watched the videos, he is a good trickshooter. but the autist bullshit about - this is how ancient archers shot a bow, im the only one who can shoot like them cus i re discovered hidden knowledge shit gotta go.
also there are people who debunked him. what about them?
>>
>>915887
>people who debunked him
You mean an amateur female with enormous dislikes on the video?
>>
>>915887
>this is how ancient archers shot a bow

But they didn't, they weren't using baby 20 pound bows in the middle of groups doing ninja flips. There isn't some secret gunkata for archers, and you're a retard for believing that there is.
>>
>>910874
>any tips for a beginner?

Never overdraw your bow, refer to >>914804

Never dry fire your bow, can and eventually will explode.

Alway inspect your bow and arrows before you start shooting and between rounds.

Look at this guy's channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/BackyardBowyer

Have fun, don't be a dick, don't shoot at animals unless you intend to eat it.
>>
>>916218
Yes sir, the lars fanboys can be fiesty

>>916345
i dont think you understood my post....
>>
>>916432
>Yes sir, the lars fanboys can be fiesty
Not even an argument, rejected.

It's more likely they downvote her shitty attempt to debunk it and you're just an SJW who overlooks her faults because she has tits.

Also she's ugly.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.