[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are 2 person tents so heavy and too big when packed? Im

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 1423989569565.jpg (23KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
1423989569565.jpg
23KB, 500x363px
Why are 2 person tents so heavy and too big when packed?

Im possible to lug them around
>>
>>910771
Because you're too cheap to buy good gear?
>>
>>910771
Protip: shop for tents somewhere other than walmart
>>
>>910771
Have you tried not being poor?
>>
If you're willing to spend money you can get tents that weigh basically nothing. They're so fucking nice compared to pleb tents.
>>
I reek a samefag.
>>
>>910771
>Coleman
>Wenzel
>Timber Ridge

I see what you did there.
>>
>>910814
I don't have like $500 to spend on one
>>
>>910823
>fucking poorfag dopers
Then stop buying dope and save for what you want.
>>
File: 200cc.gif (3MB, 400x312px) Image search: [Google]
200cc.gif
3MB, 400x312px
>>910836
>projecting
>>
>>910823
I got a four pound 2-man that has a smaller circumference than my sleeping bag for $99; i actually got it from an army surplus store
I used it in 20 degree Fahrenheit weather and was cozy as a bug. Just keep looking
>>
>>910840
The tent has nothing to do with the temperature. It protects you from wind and weather such as rain or snow. It doesn't keep you warmer. That's your sleeping bags job.
>>
>>910856
Some innies are still learning.
>>
The REI Camp Dome 2 is a pretty decent tent for $99. Not the lightest thing on the market but better than a Walmart tent. Eureka and Alps Mountaineering make some affordable options as well.

Also don't pack your tent like it was in the store, it's just a big awkward lump that way. Strap the poles to the side of your pack with your compression straps and stash the stakes in a pocket. That way all you have left is the fabric which can now be compressed much tighter into a stuff sack.
>>
File: Downs-syndrome-boy-300x200.jpg (84KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Downs-syndrome-boy-300x200.jpg
84KB, 300x200px
>>910856
>>
>>910771
You are weak?
>>
>>910894
OP, do this. Separate your tent gear to save weight.

For max savings, forget to bring the poles and stakes like the dipshit weakling you are.
>>
>>910928
Actually, you can save a remarkable amount of weight if you replace the tent poles with dildos.
>>
File: booke.png (22KB, 804x743px) Image search: [Google]
booke.png
22KB, 804x743px
>>910856
>>
>>910861
Normie here, how is he wrong?
>>
If weights really a problem just take a hammock, some ropes, and a tarp. String the rope above your hammock tree to tree, hang the tarp over, voila shelter
>>
>>912113
smaller tent = smaller volume of air = assuming wind proof, air in tent will warm from body heat.
>>
>>912113
>>910901
>>912118
Name me the R value of 25D PU nylon?
Also the R value of "noseeum" mesh w/2"gap between 25D PU nylon?

Now tell me how warm you are inna windbreaker and nothing else?

Your layers issit. Not the shell.
>>
>>910807
Walmart has a 7x7 dome tent that packs down pretty small and weighs under 4lbs (once you ditch the canvas storage bag). Its not the highest quality (the poles are thin fiberglass, it does not have a full rainfly) but its only $30.

I have a Mountainsmith Morrison 2. It comes in around 3lbs. Plenty of room for 2 people. 2 vestibules for your boots and gear. Its a very nice tent. Got mine for $100US from Amazon around 3 years ago.
>>
Zpacks Duplex weighs 21 ounces, and packs down to nothing
>>
>>912132
>>910856
>>912113
It has to do with the air in the tent and its humidity. You heat up the air space and increase the humidity. This stable air pocket becomes thermal mass and insulation. Because of this, the R-value of the tent material is irrelevant.

Additional layers increase this effect. If you want a really nice and warm tent, you set up 2 tents. One tent inside another larger tent. The air pocket between the two tents needs to be small, about 1/2" at most to help prevent fast convection, though and distance will be better than none. Good luck trying to set that up though. lol
>>
>>912113
My experience is in winter tents usually are about ten degrees warmer than outside, probably a bit more. Usually never wake up to see my water froze up inside the tent
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.