[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey my /out/ist friends I have a quick questions. For us who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13

File: 1465529483674.jpg (1MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1465529483674.jpg
1MB, 2000x1333px
Hey my /out/ist friends I have a quick questions. For us who don't have high end clothes, what's the best way to stay warm but do not overheat and get those shills when you start sweating? How to deal with the wind too? thanks

>inb4 buy some arc'teryx $600 jacket

pic unrelated
>>
>>910396
Try to avoid cotton, and you should have a rain jacket anyway. Put this over your other layers to help act as a wind breaker.
Or buy used stuff. It's just as good as the new stuff (99% of the time).

Also, what do you plan on doing?
>>
>>910397
>Also, what do you plan on doing?
Hiking and camping.

For example last week I did a 6h hike and after a few minutes doing it I immediately started overheating and sweating, anyway I opened the zipper and everything was fine... until every fucking time that wind blows which was every 20 seconds or so. And as soon as I stopped walking I got cold as fuck even with the zipper closed because there was that small but noticeable perspiration layer.
>>
>>910401
I don't know where you're from, but typically in the winter the goal is to not sweat because once you do you'll be even colder when you stop. You shed layers right before you start to hike, then put them back on to trap the warmth when you stop.
The more experience you get the more comfortable you get with it.

You're supposed to start off cold so you don't stop after 10 minutes to shed a layer.
>>
>>910396
layering, like undershirt, long sleeve shirt, micro fiber insulation layer, shell layer, long johns, good socks.
>>
>>910414
Trial and error imo. It depends on the temp/wind/precip , load carried, terrain (uphill/through snow /through woods)

Just start with a good base layer (target synthetic shirt and pants) + wool socks

Insulation like a vest or Columbia type fleece.

Outer layer like a down jacket or if you are a blue collar worker the neon reflective jackets generally block wind pretty well and are synthetic materials also.

Venting garments are nice

A bandana around your neck at the collar keeps chills away

Always wear a hat, at least a thin beanie. It's easily removable
>>
>>910452
If you are Europe based, check for the Scandinavian work outfitters like Snickers workwear, Helly Hansen or Rukka. They got tons of no nonsense clothes to work all day in the cold and snow.
Every layer has its function, underwear to wick away moisture, 1-2 iso layers to keep the heat, shell layer to block of wind.
Open zippers as needed to keep you in the comfy and no sweating zone, as sweat is the worst in the cold.
>>
File: GENIII-CW-Fleece-Jacket-2.jpg (85KB, 490x490px) Image search: [Google]
GENIII-CW-Fleece-Jacket-2.jpg
85KB, 490x490px
>>910396
cheap polypro base layers work well, layer up with generic fleece and down pieces and a wind shell, you can take off layers based on your activity level

some surplus gear like pic related can be a good buy, I paid ~$40 for it
>>
How do you feel about buying military Arctic sleeping bags? They're heavy (12lbs), but the military men can out hike the majority of us.

Man up? I'm considering buying a Canadian 5pc.
>>
>>910396
if you do anything active you are going to sweat, so you do the smart thing and change your baselayer after you stop
>>
>>910730
Where to dry the sweat-damp baselayer if no campfire?
>>
>>910732
in your sleeping bag over night
>>
>>910730
if your baselayer is wool or a good synthetic you can just wear it on your body and your bodyheat will dry it pretty fast

I've done pretty hard work outdoors and consequently worked up a sweat while wearing wool base layer, and it does dry up pretty quick while you're still wearing it, unlike cotton which just stays cold and wet.
>>
>>910396
I only use milsurp or other military/hunting clothes like the gorka.
If its good enough for the army and special forces it's good enough for my hunting/fishing and camping trips. very inexpensive as well. (1/2)
>>
>>912285
if you can't get hold of russian gear i recommend the german flecktarn uniform.
i've used it for /out/ings for about 3 years now, comfy as hell and the parka does a decent job at stoping wind and rain too.
>>
File: Murmansk.jpg (576KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Murmansk.jpg
576KB, 2048x1152px
>>912285
It's great to not worry about getting blood or fish stuff on your clothes compared to if you were wearing a 600$ pants and jacket.
Neither do you have to worry about ripping holes in it or wiping your blade clean.
i find it more enjoyeble this way.
(3/3)
>>
>>910412
Very underrated post
>>
Op here, thanks dudes, useful tips for sure.
>>
>>910740

It's not gonna dry out in there, it's just going to get warm and wet.
>>
>>912285

Why does everyone keep raving about the Gorka shit? What's so good about it?

Plus the only good thing about shittarn is that it's cheap cause it looks like vomit
>>
>>914996
It's Russian, and as we all know they're famous for high quality products and caring about the comfort of their troops.
>>
>>910396

i'll give you the poor man's ECWCS

>m65 jacket w/ hoodie
>waterproof poncho
>ripstop pants w/ moisture wick longjohns
>jungle boot + wool sock

milsurp shit works, i wear flame retardant nomex layers for winter time

carharrt for pants/hoodie, m65 jacket will run you less than $40 and still has room for a poncho over it and a hoodie underneath if it's balls deep cold

many people say 'no cotton' but that shit doesn't matter unless you're somewhere it snows
>>
>>910396
>>917374

http://www.keepshooting.com/military-surplus/military-clothing/military-jackets

p good stuff for bargain price, although you will look ridiculous in public you will be warm which is more important
>>
>>910396

A wool blanket.
>>
File: picrealtedanon.jpg (127KB, 846x324px) Image search: [Google]
picrealtedanon.jpg
127KB, 846x324px
get yourslf some fleece comfies and a Frogg Toggs shell.

or get a Carhartt (or Walls - generic Carhartt) jacket with a synthetic liner (sherpa) for a compromise.

and keep an eye out for sales on fleece silvers. believe it or not Sears always seems to have the best prices when I look. $40 silvers for like $12 'n shit.
>>
>>910396
Just layer a bunch of shit and put a rain jacket on top
Fleece is really good if you don't want to spend a fuckload of money
>>
File: happy stalker.png (27KB, 800x585px) Image search: [Google]
happy stalker.png
27KB, 800x585px
>>910396
>what's the best way to stay warm but do not overheat and get those shills when you start sweating?
The key i've found is to always layer lightly enough that when you start the hike, you're a bit chilly but not quite shivering, then once your body warms up your bodyheat will fill the temperature gap and you won't sweat/ freeze when you stop hiking.

But to answer your question, get some cheap layers at your local bulk store (Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, etc) where they often sell overstocked outdoor clothing at liquidated prices. I have a winter jacket that's worth about $250.00, but was able to buy it this way after trying it on in the store, only spend $30.00.

Cheap polyester thermal underwear + what this guy>>910494 is saying, ripstop rainpants and jacket. Overstock.com has a lot of shit for cheap too.
>>
File: not_logical.jpg (201KB, 580x461px) Image search: [Google]
not_logical.jpg
201KB, 580x461px
>>917374
>many people say 'no cotton' but that shit doesn't matter unless you're sure you won't even start to sweat
FTFY
>>
>>917374
>many people say 'no cotton' but that shit doesn't matter unless you're somewhere it snows

anon you are a special kind of stupid. Either that or you've never gone /out/ in your life
>>
Anybody have experience with red head clothes?

I'm looking at a soft shell of theirs.

http://m.basspro.com/RedHead-Canvasback-Shell-Jacket-for-Men/product/15010807520217/
>>
Does anyone have a recommendation for trousers? Preferably something not expensive. I have a large ass and a legitimately large frame and I have to wear size 48 US. I can rarely find anything in that that isn't $200 plus.
>>
>>910396
is this Canadian camo?
>>
>>917487
Go to a Workn'Gear shop and pick up a pair of Wrangler's.
>>
>>917508

I hate jeans.
>>
>>917517
well there are plenty of other options

https://youtu.be/-VHlwcxUUnE
>>
>>917443
Who knows
>>
>>917517
Maybe learn how to stop bitching first.
>>
>>917517
wrangler sells other materials you retard
>>
>>910396
>stop buying cheap shit
>save for quality gear that will last

As far as warmth, get wool or synthetic blends and stay away from cotton. To deal with wind, get an outer layer that doesn't breathe. If you feel yourself starting to sweat, start with taking off your hat. If that doesn't help cool you down, shed a layer of clothing (or more than one if needed) until you are comfortable. If you're hiking, just take a break.
>>
>>910396
>inb4 buy some arc'teryx $600 jacket
why not?
give me one (1) reason that does not relate to price
>>
>>912287
If you go flecktarn OP, try to get the goretex equivalent stuff. Otherwise you'll be getting 80% cotton which is not advisable.
>>
>>917900
Because it's too expensive
>>
>>910396
get some simple, cheap, synthetic base layers. if you have a rain shell already, check out milsurp quilted m65 jacket liners. it's the same kinda material the woobies are made out of

i too am an ambitious poorfag and like to play where my wallet shouldn't allow
>>
>>910396

I am in New Zealand so my results may vary but above the snowline I generally wear a merino wool base layer with a waterproof anorak/bush shirt that has pit zips if Im trying to get elevation. For the bottom half I wear nylon shorts, polyester long johns, gaiters and boots. For when I stop to glass I put on a down jacket. I dont seem to get cold or lose heat through my legs too badly.
>>
>>910396
Lulz, pic actually related, cold weather drills are in Estonian army curriculum.

Basic easy stuff:

1) dress in layers, with the bottom layer being a woolen one

2) Top layer should keep off the wind

3) add-remove other layers depending on your physical activity, basically try not to dress too warm, just a bit warmer than cold.
>>
>>918126
throw muh ligs too bedly
eh bru
>>
I'm looking for a waterproof jacket. Preferably lined, but i dont mind much. I will be using it mostly for walks and maybe a bit of skiing and cycling so breathability is a must and so is decent enough waterproofing. Please dont flame me for asking for a breathable, waterproof jacket, im just pretty useless at jackets. Budget is 300. Bonus points for looking good.

Thanks in advance guys :) !
>>
>>921052
Marmot PreCip is pretty good breathability and waterproofing for the price (~$100, DWR coating i believe) but isn't lined - i feel like for your purposes you'd much more want a shell (and separate insulation) because walks, skiing and cycling are all very different in terms of how much heat you will generate yourself.
Great breathability and waterproofing only comes in goretex but that's going to be pretty expensive so otherwise its really a tradeoff.
>>
>>921262
Thanks man ill look into it! I thought a shell would be better. I'll have to look into insulation now.
>>
>>910396
Cheap ass fleece pullovers (as many as you want) and non-cotton underwear from discounters (aldi, lidl, walmart, etc)
Some cheap outer shell (hardshell/gore-tex, softshell, depending on what you do) from the same.
>>
>>921262
>Marmot PreCip

I have this and absolutely love it. I've used it for hiking, skiing, all-day sports photography in shitty weather, and just general everyday shitty weather. I got the older version on sale when they changed the colors or something, and it changed my life. I'd never had a rain jacket that totally kept me dry without making me sweat like a pig before and a good shell is a revelation.

My current everyday rain jacket, which also does double duty as a ski shell, is an REI Travel Jacket. I mostly wear it because it has better pockets than the PreCip, is lightly lined, and suits my normal wardrobe better, and it's great too. Wasn't that expensive either, I think like $129 or so. I bet you could get a steal on one if you bought it in the spring/summer.
>>
>>921355
oh the REI travel jacket is a great jacket too, but I gotta reapply the DWR coating to mine.
>>
Here is wise words from Finland about clothing. I don't know how it looks like translated though.
https://translate.google.fi/translate?hl=fi&sl=fi&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Falasin.varusteleka.fi%2Fpukeutumisen-taito%2F
>>
>>910396
I'd reccomend something from arcteryx
>>
layering?
>>
>>910494
don't forget thrift stores. Those things were like $5CAD at a value village I worked at.

Another plus is reduced drying time. I think fleece is about 1/8 of the time to dry over wool.

I would def. take down over fleece in summer though. I took fleece once into a rocky mountain hike in summer and it was a lot of extra room to store in the heat of the day.
>>
>how to get the thing

Dame way as any other item. Make it yourself.

$15 worth of breathable insulating blankets, some sissors and some sewing materials and youll jave the best cover youll ever wear. I suggest making a liner to go under your rain proof coat rather than making a jacket.
>>
>>920263
kek
>>
>>917413
Cotton for HOT CLIMATES/TEMPS
Wool for COLD CLIMATES/TEMPS
Felt/Combos for both/BETWEEN
Layers are best
Long johns for absolute cold
swim suit and sunblock/light shirt/pants for EXTREME SUN

Don't forget sunblock on face in winter and shades/ or get sun blindness/sunburn/cancer.
>>
File: DSC00279.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00279.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>914996
aхyeл, cyкa блять!?

can someone identify anorak?
>>
>>914996

it was in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. so it MUST be good. also the SPETNAZIS used it :) so its elite tactical bla bla bla

you know, the milsurp meme has to top. most milspec is garbage and civilian gear is vastly higher quality.

that said, I prefer flecktarn because it is a good camouflage in Tasmania, its very cheap, and I don't feel like wasting money on fancy gear
>>
http://m.llbean.com/category.html?skCatId=90119&productId=1504100&attrValue_0=Dusty Olive&pla1=0&mr:trackingCode=BBBF27E3-1B69-E611-80EF-00505694403D&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=m&mr:adType=plaonline&qs=3125045_google&cvosrc=cse.google.0QVD754002&cvo_crid=121975873280&lsft=qs:3125045_google%2Cproduct:0QVD754002%2Ccvosrc:cse.google.0QVD754002%2Ccvo_crid:121975873280&gclid=CLeUkqTmp9ECFQ0HhgodOrQDfg&gclsrc=aw.ds&SS=B&isRedirect=true#90119
Fuck using phones to post
>>
>>914996
Russiboos infest this site
>>
>>917900
$600 is more than I would ever pay for a hooker
Unless it's a gun never pay more than $500 for anything that is non-essential
>>
>>923733
Flecktarn is oddly good in a lot of places, I don't own much of it but I was surprised at how good my shelter half blends into the SE QLD rainforest and even the more scrub type forests.
>>
>>912285
>>912287
>>912289

He's right ya know
>>
>>917507
Estonian
>>
Are these any good?

http://www.alphaindustries.com/mens-parkas/alpha-industries-n-3b-inclement-parka.htm
>>
>>925941

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018133396/military-surplus-n-3b-parka-olive-drab

unless you're going for fashionable aesthetic, there's nothing wrong with the original N-3Bs for nearly a hundred bones cheaper in the milsurp grade 2 range

N-3B is a solid choice though
>>
File: snow sucks.jpg (169KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
snow sucks.jpg
169KB, 800x600px
Can anyone recommend inexpensive pants that are water resistant and good for snowshoeing/hiking/snowmobiling? I have enough shit for layering, but nothing to keep me dry.

Everyone is always focused on jackets, but my legs get cold/wet too.
>>
>>926291
Look for some bib overalls. Carhart makes good quilted ones for real cold weather. Another option is hunting bibs. Lots of waterproof ones there.
>>
>>926291
Check out outdoorgearlab's Shell pants review.
>>
>>912287
I hate to be nitpicky but there are far cheaper and better options for milsurp besides the generic countries. Russian things are overpriced because of millennials and their attachment to russians and communism through video games. It makes me sad because some Russian stuff is actually pretty cool.
>>
>>926248
Thanks!
>>
where to get milsurp gear in europe(austria,germany...)? preferably 'offline'.
>>
File: german-army-cold-weather-pants.jpg (49KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
german-army-cold-weather-pants.jpg
49KB, 800x800px
>>926291

http://www.keepshooting.com/german-army-cold-weather-pants.html

If you're on a budget these are the top shit cold weather pants for less than $20. Stiff, awkward, and heavy duty plus ugly plain green look. Faux-fur lining is a downer if you're a serious hiker though, you'll probably overheat with these on in anything over 35 fahrenheit. Germans probably realized this and switched to goretex due to goretex being lighter and easier to pack, also better for ECWCS.

If you're tall though, I don't think I guarantee they will fit proper.
>>
>>910396
JC Pennies has good winter wear stuff and most of it is decently affordable. Especially around he holidays. Just my .02 for you.
>>
>>926445
Considering i buy all my Russian surp/gear in Russia i don't have that problem. And Russian stuff is only overpriced on western sites, there's lots of russian online stores thats on English and international shipping.
>>
File: 54073.jpg (16KB, 480x343px) Image search: [Google]
54073.jpg
16KB, 480x343px
how would one go about acquiring a gorka 3. also has anyone here bought one, if yes whats a reliable and legit source of these ?
>>
File: get toasty.jpg (312KB, 778x1300px) Image search: [Google]
get toasty.jpg
312KB, 778x1300px
>>910396
Here's what I wear every day and while onnatrail. Keeps me real cozy, never have problems with wind or rain / snow. I like Eddie Bauer a lot since they are always having sales that are far more affordable than some other brands, and the quality has stood up to some rough environments. Having the fleece lining in your pants and jacket can make an extremely comfy difference. If you're wanting to run super cheap, I'm pretty sure you can find some fleece lined jeans at Walmart.

Carhartt is also a great option for staying warm and getting shit done.

This gear isn't exactly "cheap", but it's well worth it and far less than dead bird or North Face normie imo.
>>
>>929713
>>910396

Also keep in mind these are just the out layers most of the time, if I am going camping or backpacking while it's cold out I will layer some more underneath with synthetics and long johns. Layering is pretty great anon, learn how to do it right and you'll never be cold again. Also, merino wool socks are the shit. I always get cold feet so having some nice socks does wonders for me.

Scarves are pretty nice too if it's going to be really cold.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.