[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason to not sew up a wool blanket and use that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2569.jpg (220KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2569.jpg
220KB, 1155x1155px
Is there any reason to not sew up a wool blanket and use that instead of a sleeping bag?
>>
>>910273
Wanting to be warm
>>
>>910273
Congratulations anon, you moved from ancient gear to 1940s gear.
>>
>>910273
The itching
>>
>>910273
No, but should be paired with a canvas tarp.
>>
>>910273
No, go for it.

>>910297
Just use 2 $1k merino wool blankets instead. No itching then. Or, you know, sew in some sheets.
>>
>>910273
Hey guys, I also wanted to whittle some sticks to use as tent sticks for my tarp and sew some leather into a bladder to store water instead of using my nalgene.
Also, what's the best way to carve stone? Need to make an axe innawoods.
>>
>>910306
>sew in some sheets
Can't do that, need to save weight because i'm an ultralighter. So far It looks like the wool will save about 300grams over a conventional sleeping bag
>>
>>910310
Nothing wrong with that. Bamboo or willow is best for tent poles. You don't use leather for waterskins. You use an actual bladder from a sheep or a cow. You don't carve stone for making tools, you knap it.
>>
>>910311
Merino wool it is then.
>>
>>910311
>the wool will save about 300grams over a conventional sleeping bag
The fuck man. Did anyone ever tell you that sleeping bags come in different weights? A bag of insulation equivalent to your wool blanket bag will weigh next to nothing.
>>
>>910318
Aerogel blankets would be the lightest. You would need the bottom side to be the structural aerogel though.
>>
>>910273
>purpously using shitty gear

Do you date ugly, fat chicks on purpose, too?
>>
>>910322
They give the best blowjobs.
>>
>>910321
Whatever happened of that aerogel clothing that's supposed to be developed?
>>
>>910323
>they have to
>>
>>910324
They are selling it now, more than one company. Some of it is still in design and redesign. The ones that got it out first was from a kickstarter I think. It is pricey and I'll wait until the prices go down a bit, and the designs are a bit better. The main problem they had was the first designs were cooking the people wearing them when mountain climbing. The latest designs are thinner and have places you can open in the arm pits to help cool you off. lol

I'll probably get one of their beanies since the price isn't that bad, but they need a line of socks.

https://www.orosapparel.com/
>>
>>910329
I dunno, someone claimed it was not very light or compressible. There's a reason thinsulate isn't used as much as primaloft in jackets and the likes.
>>
>>910334
Well it isn't aerogel, it is a similar product based directly on aerogel. Pure aerogel is all sorts of terrible for clothing. Regardless, this stuff they use is super ultra light. They made a mistake by adding a heavier liner in it of normal cloth in order to make it feel heavier. That was a sales trick. The thought was that when a customer sees two winter coats on the rack that the heavier one will be the warmer one. this stuff up ends that totally. As for the compression problems, that is with normal aerogel. This stuff is a lot better, but that is why there are no socks yet, and why the gloves are very expensive since they use more structural stuff.
>>
>>910311
>>910310
Stop pretending to be OP, your not me
>>
>>910337
>stop pretending to be retarded

Ftfy.
>>
>>910322

Didn't I just tell you I'm ultra light?!

Fleshlight saves me like 120kg over the kind of girl I could get.
>>
>>910352
I blame you for killing my thread
>>
>>910403
>killing my thread

It's a wool blankie, how much discussion are you expecting?

Again. It's just a wool blankie.
>>
>>910273
no reason unless you want something more compact, lightweight, and all around better performing.
but i still love these old wool blankets just because nostalgia i guess
>>
>>910273
Fuck op, stop being a fucking retard. The money and time you spend on doing this is stupid. Are you that poor? You can't get a sleeping bag under 100 bucks? Is every board flooding with /b/ and /pol/ retards who have never gone outside?
>>
>2015+1
>not just stuffing your clothes with leaves before bed
plebs
>>
File: 1314984115847.jpg (6KB, 252x240px) Image search: [Google]
1314984115847.jpg
6KB, 252x240px
>>910352

>my sides
>>
Where do I find a wool blanket for a decent price? It's stupidly expensive in my country
>>
>>910748
Thrift shops, antique stores, Salvation Army, military surplus stores.
>>
>>910322
It's about their personality
>>
>>910813
>thin on the inside

Got it.
>>
>>910822
They also make 'em skinny on the outside and fat on the inside.
>>
>>910927
Sounds remarkably juicy, tbqh.
>>
[ ] Using A Wool Blanket
[ ] Being Warm
[ ] Using Lightweight Gear

Choose only 2
>>
>>911388
I keep checking different combos and by Jove... I think I you're on to something!
>>
>>911388
this
>>
File: 1476131591229.jpg (35KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1476131591229.jpg
35KB, 250x250px
>>910311
>wants to save weight
>doesnt bring a poncho+liner to sleep in instead
>>
File: OROS5.jpg (47KB, 605x338px) Image search: [Google]
OROS5.jpg
47KB, 605x338px
>>911388
[ ] Using A Wool Blanket
[ ] Being Warm
[ ] SolarCore aerogel

Choose 3.
>>
>>911388
Can you even be warm whilst out with a wool blanket? You pretty much need a fire to do that with a wool blanket as far as I'm concerned.

The average military wool blanket doesn't provide enough insulation, it's too felt like. I have Hudson Bay blankets that are vastly warmer than any military blanket from muh Italian office and Polish on down, no military blanket approaches it for warmth and I would still be cold outside whilst sleeping if the temperature dropped below the 40s and I didn't have a fire. And to warp yourself in one properly they need to be big, like queen size, much bigger than the average military single bed size which was designed for a cold barracks and not a forest.

I fucking love wool blankets but they belong on your bed. I really don't know how people did it back when they had to use them for sleeping outside, those people must either have not felt the cold or just spent their nights being cold.
>>
>>912306
Think I read something of five blankets equalling an extreme cold sleeping bag

As for history: fire, greatcoats, being used to it, not doing it if in any way possible. People didn't die in russian winter for no reason.
>>
>>912322
~5lbs worth of wool to get to 0C
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.ca/2014/09/long-term-wilderness-living-blanket-vs.html
>>
>>910273
I use a Pendleton factory second
>>
>>912359
>>912322
There's more to how warm a blanket is then the weight. How much loft it has, how loose or tight the weave is and very likely what kind and quality of wool it's made of will all contribute to how warm it is. I don't know the technical terms.

If you sleep with them a lot you'll know that the blankets that hold and trap air are the warmest, a really fuck dense blanket could weigh 10lbs and it wouldn't be as warm as a fluffier blanket of the same dimension and 5lbs.
>>
>>912361
pendleton woolen mills?
>>
>>912366
>fluffy
Like down.

Fuck wool for anything but baselayer or emergency blanket.
>>
>>910311
>So far It looks like the wool will save about 300grams over a conventional sleeping bag
It will also suck as much as an ultralight bag.
>>
>>912370
no... the other Pendleton company that makes woolen blankets
>>
>>910334
aerogel is relatively weightless but also brittle. Probably a fabric trying to utilize this would compromise a lot. Be a better investment to try and create a synthetic fiber with eiderdown structure.
>>
>>912383
Wool poly mixtures can be pretty okay second layers.
>>
>>912644
That's pure aerogel. There are many forms of aerogel now from hard structural aerogel to soft fabrics used in clothing. Each has a unique name. Here's a write up all about it including actual science behind it:

http://www.aerogel.org/?p=1058
>>
>>912577
there actually is another company called pendleton that works with wool
so go fuck yourself you pathetic faggot
>>
>>912306
i totally agree with you i have a pendleton wool blanket and its amazing best/warmest blanket ever. i got it for a steal at 60 bucks but would pay the 259 for one when i need a new one.
>>
>>913171
sauce?
>>
File: IMG_2416.jpg (636KB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2416.jpg
636KB, 1936x2592px
>>913282
>>
the first reply...

lost it, well done sir
>>
>>912383
it is the *best* baselayer though.
>>
>>910293
underrated kek post
>>
>>910273
Heavy

But no, there is nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>910273
Its won't be windproof, will take up as much space as a down sleeping bag if not more, will weigh a lot, and won't be very warm.

The only advantage to a wool sleeping bag is that it won't get wrecked by flying embers but you can always just put a really thin canvas around your bag and you're fine. There is no reason to use wool for this except to look cool when they find your dead body frozen solid.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.