[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

when choosing outdoor stuff do you go for the tactical military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

when choosing outdoor stuff do you go for the tactical military stuff or the bright colors?
>>
>>908945
I just generally like earth tones, not a big fan of bright colors but I don't want try hard tactical shit either.
>>
I prefer the colourful stuff. Especially for winter clothes. When everything around you is just white its nice to have some colour
>>
>>908973
I prefer subtle colours for most things, but if there's a good deal on good gear, then I'll use whatever colour.

That's why my tent has a neon yellow fly. I hate it's look, but it's a great tent
>>
>>908945
I buy based on function not on appearance. Whether its' camo, bright orange, or whatever, makes zero difference to me as long as it does what it's supposed to.
>>
>>908957
This
>>
>>908945
I'm rough on my gear and like to have extra sets so I buy what ever I can find cheap. Ya might seen me I'm a grannys old wool coat and fireman pants
>>
I like lots of different bright colors. Makes it easy to find stuff in my pack. It would be a pain in the ass if my shell, down coat, and fleece were all black, so instead they are sky blue, red, and lime green.

I like ridiculous but honestly who cares.
>>
I wear earth tones.
I don't wear the tacti-tard shit, though, because it's typically over-priced for the same functionality, or has functionality I don't need.
>>
>>909104
You mean you don't need all of those hook and loop morale patches all over your gear with molle webbing hanging everywhere?
>>
>>909105
I don't.
If people want to blow their money accessorizing like a barbie doll, then that's fine for them.
>>
>>908945
I go with surplus, cheap durable and effective. I try to avoid too much camo though. Don't want to look like militia or I'm up to something nefarious.
>>
>>908945
No goes on the tacticool. I feel strange when I walk into Bass Pro and I'm the only person in there without a Mossy Oak hat and a lip full of dip.
>>
File: 1465574051737.jpg (18KB, 261x192px) Image search: [Google]
1465574051737.jpg
18KB, 261x192px
Usually bright fucking orange.
Makes me easier to see and follow (or find) in the trees, and I'm required to have orange on the race track.
>>
>>908945
I like my stuff different colors from each other. So it becomes that much easier grab what I need.

I used to (long time ago) go with all black, but digging your your bag to pull every piece of gear to find that one item got old.
>>
File: muley.jpg (105KB, 600x503px) Image search: [Google]
muley.jpg
105KB, 600x503px
>>909207
>>
Mostly earth tones or bright mexican patterns.
>>
Dark colors, I despise bright ones as much as I despise velcro and shitty morale patches.
>>
>>908945
Without going full tactical, I stick mostly to earth tones, though some higher-end stuff can be extremely colorful, especially the ones on sale, and in this case you can't really afford to choose.

Plus I can be using some of that stuff on an everyday basis so I want it to be acceptable to wear in public and not look like a mall ninja. And if I need to hide innawoods, I take out my large rain poncho and hide underneath.
>>
>>908945
I wear full on tactical USMC gear. I was never IN the Marines, but I like to feel like I was in spirit
>>
>>908957
fpbp.

I think a lot of mainstream clothes/gear companies are catching onto this and not offering things in only brilliant colors.

The paradigm I think has gone from this
>bright colors- be seen in emergencies, indicates something new and nice
to this
>neutral colors/earth tones- LNT, blend in better to not be so obnoxious, wearability in town

it's a move I'm in favor of.
>>
>>908945
/k/ is a cool board

return there.
>>
I'd wear less brightly coloured stuff if I lived in a country where it didn't rain half the year.
>>
>>908945
Strictly dependant on what I'm doing /out/

My snowboarding gear is neon colors- makes it easier for ski patrol to find my corpse.
If I'm out on my property, its mil spec gear I was issued or surplus I've bought, color varies by season. I don't like people knowing what I'm doing, even if I'm just checking the fence line or some shit.
>>
>>908957
Agreed.
>>
>>909415
He's going all out
>>
Generally whatever is the most affordable while still good quality. I don't care about what my fucking spoon or backpack looks like as long as it functions and holds up.
>>
>>908945
I got for earth tones (browns, tans, grey, green) because most of what I do is hunt or fish and it helps to not have bright colors. My snow gear is bright yellow for safety purposes
>>
>>908957
This. Some of my stuff is tactical, but I usually just go for dark greens, tans, greys, and black. I don't like "camo", but I still want to blend in as much as possible.
>>
>>908945
I have earth tones for normie shit, milsurp for hunting, and blaze orange for not getting shot during hunting seasons.
>>
>>909415
madman
>>
If I'm just minding my own in the forest, and do aime casual /out/ nights in safe surroundings, then I want earthy 'tactic' colours. If I'm climbing a mountain or do anything extreme where the chance of me getting lost or dies then I want bright colours (orange, lime green, red etc.).
In snow it's always nice to have some colour.
>>
i usually buy from miltarty surplus because it's cheaper
>>
i go full earthtone
not tacticool tho
>>
>>908957
Yup. Neutral colors are the way to go. Greens, grays, etc. are great.
>>
Depends what I'm doing. I like bright colors for visibility and so I don't lose stuff, but I also like to be able to remain un noticed. Hiking gear = bright colors, Bug out gear = earth tones / black
>>
I do a lot of hitchhiking and roadside camping; it's generally safer to not be visible. So all my exposed gear is either black, earth tones or camo. Items that I rely on though, like my knife, lighter, filter, etc are all blaze orange so I don't accidentally leave anything behind.

>Anyone who carries camo gear in their pockets doesn't understand the basic concept.
>>
File: Murmansk.jpg (576KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Murmansk.jpg
576KB, 2048x1152px
>>908945
Milsurp.
It's cheap and it works.
I like to not worry about expensive clothes when i wipe my blade on my pants or get blood on them.
Also i like camuflage
>>
>>913128
This is where my blood problem comes in...
>>
File: IMG_0934.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0934.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>912678
That's why I like that big orange Kershaw I have. After catching a feesh, I will often set the knoife or my Leatherman down in the grass while I hurry to relase the fish (if it isn't a snek) and I have had to search for my Skeletool and little CRKT many times when I notice they are missing 20min later.

I should get some flourescent orange or yellow enamel that I can bake in the oven at home. I could disassemble the Skeletool and just apply it to the handle or outside frame of that and could even do the blade of the CRKT and just sharpen it again after.
>>
>>912678
Right, except in the actual purpose of camo you need to be less visible both when using a knife and when not. Hell, drying your naked feet is demasking in a combat scenarion.
>>
>>913133
> enamel
That's a pretty good idea. I'm gonna look into that.

>>913140
> combat scenario
I'm not in the military any longer, and I'm not delusional, so I think I'm good.
>>
>>908945
I get what works for me. Sometimes it's the milsurp/tacticool stuff, sometimes it's the bright nylon and polyester stuff, usually it's the leather-and-canvas old school stuff.
>>
>>908977
faggot
>>
>>913152
Fair enough, just bantering about the purpose of camo.

Also - I was chewed out by my platoon commander for trying to fix my trenchfeet back in August. So, ya know, still raw.
>>
>>908945

I go for whatever works and with the least "brand name" possible with good quality. I mostly do earth tones though as I like olive drab or brown.
>>
File: 009110.jpg (112KB, 770x373px) Image search: [Google]
009110.jpg
112KB, 770x373px
>>913291
>the purpose of camo
>>
File: 20161216_080150.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161216_080150.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>913563
>nice
>>
>>913133
>feesh
>knoife
>snek

You're doing a great job coming across as intellectually challenged
>>
>>913625
That's pepsifag, a well known narrsisitic idiot.

So yes, you're right.
>>
>>913625
>>913640
>Shitting on ok trip fags
>We /k/ nao
>>
>>913642
>hero worship
How quaint.
>>
>>913563
I must have sat and stared at that for five minutes before I saw it...
>>
>>913778
>thanks for having us over!
>where do we sit?
>>
>>910043
this
>>
I like that everyone is saying earth tones. When I go /out/ I don't want to be able to see people from miles away. It ruins the wilderness experience.
>>
>>913644
higher dubs confirms.
Praise higher dubs man!
>>
>>913625
I use snek too.

this is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aDwmWgRKIk
>>
>>908945

I just go with what ever is cheap, comfy, will help keep me dry. So usually this falls into military surplus gear. Comfy boots and pants, and a decent jacket.
>>
Bright colours for more technical activities like mountaineering, for the visibility. I want my body dug out of an avalanche and in addition to LVS etc bright colours might help.
>>
I walk the mountains of Norway. And I always bring highvis vest and raincover for my pack. So i can chose to be seen if shit hits the fan.
>>
>>908957

Agree. I prefer earth tones, but avoid camo because a. I'm not a larping faggot and b. I've never served in the military so I avoid looking like I have. I guess it's a respect thing. I also don't wear sweatshirts of universities that I didn't attend.
>>
>>910039
>orange, lime green, red

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Boots
>>
>>915247

Indeed. It's not the 80s any more either. Anyone wearing neon shit is guaranteed to be a first time /out/er
>>
>>915606
>nobody served and wore Mossyoak, so calm down, Francis.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.