[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning a trip to the west kind of like pic related.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: trip.png (840KB, 1143x867px) Image search: [Google]
trip.png
840KB, 1143x867px
I'm planning a trip to the west kind of like pic related.

Going off of this path is subject to about 900 km or a day of travelling.

Some places I'm interested in on the route is

-Racetrack Playa
-Monument Valley
-Bonneville Salt Flats
-Grand Canyon
-Pikes Peak

Where else should I go? What should I visit?
I'll be on motorcycle.
>>
Yellowstone and the grand tetons.
>>
yosemite
>>
>>908732
John Muir Wilderness

Glacier NP is also dope and well worth the bit of a drive out of the way
>>
File: oyvey.png (27KB, 170x187px) Image search: [Google]
oyvey.png
27KB, 170x187px
>>908732
Salt Flats are neat, but I should warn you that parts of your route may not exist. At least look at google earth in that area beforehand. I think part of that route is covered here:
http://thetrekplanner.com/newfoundland-mountains-east-mines/

As far as I'm aware, brown is a (potentially potholed) dirt road next to the bombing range, so don't expect to stop or get off the road there. Orange is a gravel road next to the railroad causeway. I'm unsure how UP feels about maintaining it. Black is either across the middle of evaporation pond from when Utah pumped the lake out into the desert in the 80s, or is the dirt road from the Newfoundland Mountains across the bombing range. In either case, it's subject to seasonal flooding and may contain bomb craters, and probably isn't a place the military wants you to be. This is the part that concerns me the most. You're also going a long way out of your way to see what is, ultimately, just a very flat and salty piece of ground. What time of year would you be there? It's often underwater in the spring, and I suspect you want to drive your motorcycle on the flats since you're making such a big detour for them.

>I live in SLC and spent a fair amount of time in the west desert, although I haven't made it to the area in question yet

Since you'll be in southeastern Utah, it might be worth looking into the LaSal mountain loop/ I assume you're aware of the numerous national parks in the area. If you pass through Moab, Dead Horse Point state park is gorgeous. It's not as deep as the grand canyon, but the river is much more directly below you.
>>
>>910112
Can confirm, from Utah as well
>>
>>910112
>>910149
Not OP, considering doing Panguitch, UT for a week at Christmas. Tips?
>>
File: ZionNPKevinRoland.jpg (523KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
ZionNPKevinRoland.jpg
523KB, 1200x797px
>>908732
Zion National Park. I live near the Grand Canyon, have been there 5+ times and while it does blow your mind I prefer Zion.
>>
>>910112
It's a bike with terrific off road capabilities, I'm doing BDR in Moab with some of the guys I'm meeting in SLC

>>910162
Noted

>>909386
Noted

>>909368
Already on the list

>>909367
Got it!

Also added crater lake
>>
>>910393
Also is there better places to plan a trip than google maps? They only have up to 10 points, extremely limiting.
>>
>>910162
how do you deal with all the jesus freaks though
>>
900km/day is really hard

your ass will hate you
>>
>>910420
I've done 1200 in one day, I was alright. The trick is to commute to work on your bike no matter what.

The mental strain over a few days at a time I think might grind me out.
>>
>>908732
i'd rather pass through southern Utah. Check out Bryce canyon, Zion etc.
>>
File: DSC_0436.jpg (1MB, 1473x2200px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0436.jpg
1MB, 1473x2200px
>>910413
There are none in that area really.

OP I'm from SF and have traveled extensively around all the areas you are going to. Where are you staying? I organize my trips around where national forest/monument areas are since I have an off road truck and just dispersed camp everywhere I go. If you are trying to stay in hotels or can't go off road then my suggestions would be different.

Definitely go Southern Utah as has been suggested (Zion is good, I also liked Escalante (check out Lower Calf Creek Falls if you can make a 6 mi hike), Brian Head area, Bryce, Canyonlands and Moab for offroad are good. Route 50 from Colorado to California is a very unique highway, very empty, I'd try to go from UT to South Lake Tahoe area on that route if you can. Check out Downieville CA and the surrounding area, hidden gems eveywhere. What are you really looking for, great hikes? Good driving roads? Be specific and I can tell you some good spots.
>>
>>910475
I have a dual sport or "park anywhere" bike. I'm not trying to stay in hotels unless I'm in a city, such as SF. And yeah Monument Valley and Yosemite have been a must since I was a child so I'm more so basing my trip around icons and hitting towns where convenient.

When I am in SF we should do some offroading!
>>
>>908732
If you are going through Portland I would be glad to give you a place to stay for a night or two and let use use my laundry
>>
>>910511
I will be! but I think just be passing through Portland. Setting up camp before and after the place.
>>
>>910515
Ok well if you change your mind I'm sure I'll be home.
I'm not really in Portland just seen ya are headed this way
>>
>>910519
I'll chat, do you have a way of contacting? Steam maybe? Or Snapchat? I don't really know
>>
>>910522
I just have this.
[email protected]
It's legit I swear.
I'm sort of slow to respond though, dinner time.
>>
>>910561
sent :)
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
>>910568
Yeah sorry I fucked something up on my end try and send that sucker again
>>
>>910603
sent :^)
>>
Go to tofino while on Vancouver Island.

Also, unless you are going to see a friend in Campbell River there is no reason to go there.
>>
File: IMG_0019.jpg (984KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0019.jpg
984KB, 1050x700px
>>908732
>not going to the sawtooth of Idaho
>not visiting the western half of Montana
It's like you're not even trying to go /out/ bruh. Don't waste your time with the Bonneville salt flats. I've lived near them all my life and they've never something I would go out of my way to see. At least try to go to Glacier NP early in the spring or late in the fall. God-tier backpacking and wildlife.
>>
>>910614
Sawtooths are gods country truly amazing avoid crater of the moon's at all costs. Its dicked litteally nothing there
>>
>>910614
Listen to this anon. You will absolutely regret not taking the chance to see the Sawtooths
>>
File: Djavolja-Varos-2.jpg (430KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Djavolja-Varos-2.jpg
430KB, 1024x768px
>>910614
maybe I'll go to G NP on the way back, I'm going back northbound so it shouldnt be an issue.

I know Colorado is home to this kind of stuff, but I can't seem to find it anywhere, pic related is from serbia.
>>
>>910162
I live 10 mins or so from there it's pretty neat.
>>
>>910634
OP here, any tips?
>>
>>910630
Bryce canyon, I'm an idiot
>>
It's too bad you're so close to North Cascades National Park and not hitting that up. Unless you're set on going to Vancouver you could drop down into WA earlier, around Okanogan and head west on highway 20 through NCNP. Then either go back up into Canada or go there after you visit Olympic Nat Park.
>>
Come visit me in Lloydminster, AB/SK we will motorcycle ride. Are you camping?
>>
>>911164
Yes sir, riding with a few mates to utah, then alone to Vancouver, and back home with another friend.
>>
>>910158
I'm afraid I can't give you much more advice than than a few google searches would - I don't make it to the southwestern part of the state much, for the simple reason that I'm nowhere near to running out of things that are closer to home. It's obviously worth checking out the national monuments / parks in the area. I did some hiking at (or near, it was a while ago) Brian Head, which I remember having astonishing views. Hiking at ski resorts is obviously somewhat more difficult at Christmastime, but the road to the resort is presumably kept open all winter. Migh
>>
File: 1441727085216.jpg (863KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1441727085216.jpg
863KB, 1920x1080px
>>908732
Alaska, you won't regret it OP
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.