[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Reposting from /diy/ Gold sluice So I have a problem where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: msweb550.jpg (302KB, 550x509px) Image search: [Google]
msweb550.jpg
302KB, 550x509px
>Reposting from /diy/

Gold sluice

So I have a problem where I keep learning new skills that I will never use. For what ever reason this week I have an itch to find gold. There is no gold in my state (Indiana) except for specific glacier run off, but as luck would have it, there is such deposits and a large stream in my back pasture. The only thing left to do now is try to find some gold. Problem is I don't know what the hell I'm doing, so are there any amateur/professional gold prospectors here who would like to give me some tips that I may be overlooking?

As for my sluice I'm planning on running everything through a series of progressively smaller screen down to 1/4 vertically then put some sideways wood strips for my initial baffles, then some field tile spread flat for secondary, and finally some 1/4 inch hardware cloth spread over burlap to catch any fine particles. The slant I'm thinking will be around 5-8% because that's the slope of the bank I'll be working on.

As far as where I will be trying this, I have two spots in mind that I intend to try, the first is mainly medium/fine rock with silt right behind that sits just behind a 90° angle where the creek goes from narrow deep fast moving water to wide flat slower water. The second spot is a pool right in front of a culvert we put in were the water had to raise up about 2.5 feet to get through the culvert. It's almost exclusively silt/organic debris, but I'm hopping it acted as a trap giving any gold that may have washed there a chance to settle before the water moved on.

Anyone able to offer any advice for a beginner or modifications/alterations to my plan?
>>
I'd make sure you have gold in your exact spot by panning it first before investing in a sluice. You have the right idea with reading the river but it's irrelevant if it's had many opportunities to slow down before your exact area. If you can't even pan down to a good amount of black sand a sluice is a waste, need to find better areas.
>>
>>908240

I know non commercial quantities have been collected about 50 miles downstream so I am hoping that means some is in my area, but I'm certainly not expecting any great results. The whole point isn't actually to get gold (although it certainly would be nice) but to learn the process that's used for it. As far as costs go I have everything I need to build the sluice already, so I'm gonna build it to try playing with it.

Who knows, maybe one day I will go out west somewhere and try it for real.
>>
You need to pan. Otherwise youre just gonna have a big dirty trough with no gold in it.

In fact, panning is probably all you really need to do. Collect enough sluice and it looks like black amd gold snot its actually p cool. The problem is youre probably just gonna end up with a fuckload of pyrite and if you try to extract the gold from the sluice youll end up with nothing, so keep the snot instead. It really does look cool.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161208-131000.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161208-131000.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
So small update, I really half assed the sluice since it was colder than a witches tits, and I don't have a heated shop, just took a 2 foot piece of tile, cut it in half, and ran it like that. Set it up on the side of the creek in three different spots so that any runoff stayed on the ground, ran five 5 gallon buckets through it in each spot, then put the pile through a second time. I saw two extremely small specs that "might" have been gold, but I likely isn't. Also found some bird shot and a few neat rocks, so maybe I will put those rocks in a tumbler and see how they clean up. For now the plan is to spend the colder days studying up on gold mining and the warmer days this winter building/refining what I need to concentrate those specs into enough to figure out just what they are. Then this spring when it warms up enough to play in the water I'll give it another go.

Pic related, my quarter assed "sluice".
>>
>>908487
That is shit. Just pan for it. Your idea is retarded and you will not have good results.
>>
Pan first to make sure there is actually gold to find.
>>
File: IMG_3597.jpg (1MB, 2480x1984px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3597.jpg
1MB, 2480x1984px
I pan a lot and I've never really got into sluicing. Mainly you have to set up the sluice then shovel dirt into a 5 gallon bucket with a classifier on top. Then after that you poor the dirt into the sluice, if they'd not properly set up your screwed, then after you put a couple buckets through it you pull out the miners moss then clean it in a bucket THEN you pan that. I just pan, suck up the gold in a snuffer bottle, then move on.
>>
>>910383

Asked my cousin (who gave me the idea while bragging about a nugget he found in Colorado) to come out and tell me if there is gold, he's confirmed that gold is present, but in such small amounts that it is pointless even as a hobby.

But I'm an idiot who can't quit until I see results, so I spent the day today drawing logs and digging up the creek. Made a little damn thing that cuts the creek from 6 foot wide down to about 8 inches, then runs diagonally to the slow water behind the damn. The plan now is to take a shit ton of dirt from where my cousin tested it and dump it in front of the fast water and let the creek eat down the pile and hopefully concentrate the gold somewhat as it carries the material away. Since I've set it up its already ripped it down to clay in the fastest spot and I can see different distinct zones where everything has settled out going from bare to rocks that decrease in size down to silt, so I am hopeful that it will work and all I will have to find out is where the gold is settling out.

I'll post a picture tomorrow if I remember.
>>
>>910566
I would also get some material from the sides of a river bank. Look for a sort of flood zone, it could be as far as 10 feet from the actual water in a creek. I almost never pan from stuff in the water, I pan the dirt on the bank.
>>
File: P1040725(2).jpg (3MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
P1040725(2).jpg
3MB, 1632x1224px
panning is key to finding where you want to start really exploring. I built a high banker like the one in your pic for about 100 bucks and can borrow a small pump from my boss. A few guys a know have legit claims on good ground and don't mind me fucking around from time to time.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.