[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You and a mate are going to be stranded on an island for 18 months

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 5

File: deserted_island.jpg (106KB, 760x525px) Image search: [Google]
deserted_island.jpg
106KB, 760x525px
You and a mate are going to be stranded on an island for 18 months and if you survive, you will be rescued and awarded $10 million each (just go with it).

You cannot leave the island.

It's not a very large island, maybe a few miles long and half a mile wide with a 60-foot rock cliff on the windward side.

There is no spring or fresh water on the island.

The only wildlife are seabirds that stop by occasionally, an occasional sea turtle, and various sea life.

You can only bring the six items and the clothes/shoes you choose.

1. What 6 items do you bring to aide in your survival? List why you chose those items and how you'd use each one. Be prepared to defend your choice.

2. What do you do first? What's your 6 hour plan? Your 24 hour plan? Your 5 day plan?

3. Would you and your mate survive the whole 18 months so you could get your $10,000,000?
>>
OP here. I'll go ahead and post my answers and then hopefully we can have some fun with this thread today.

I'd probably go with my cousin, who is my age and he and I have grown up backpacking, camping, traveling, etc. so I would trust him.

>our items
1. A large tarp - would be useful for shelter, making a solar still, collecting rainwater, and making a small sail for fishing around the reef that surrounds the island.

2. A hatchet/knife combo (they do exist) - best set of tools possible to making other tools, shelter, rafts, etc.

3. Flint/magnesium firestarter kit - for fires.

4. 300 feet of good rope - for making shelter, fishing line, nets, traps, hammocks, etc.

5. Coast Guard grade first aid kit - for obvious reasons

6. Snorkle/mask/flippers set - for spearfishing and diving for lobsters, clams, etc.
>>
>>907759
Why not a tent instead of a tarp?
>>
>>907774
Because a tent usually has metal poles for frames, which would quickly become rusted, and not only could I basically have the same thing with the tarp, but I could cut pieces out of the tarp to use for other things like water collection.
>>
>>907757
climate? we talking tropics?

>>907759
you realise there's no fresh water right?

And you have no way of collecting and purifying water, or cooking.

And wtf is a 'coast guard grade' FAK?

My list,

Rifle plus ammo (shoot the birds, shoot the fish)

A full roll of 1mm polythene sheeting (to make shelter and to make water stills)

A 2 litre + pot (boiling water, cooking, rain collection)

An axe

A big pack of lighters
>>
>>907757
1. large iron pot for cooking, because that is worth its weight in gold
2. a good machete
3. Yam saplings for having carbs
4. a shore fishing kit with lots of line, hooks and sinkers
5. diving googles for collecting shellfish and spear fishing
6. big first aid kit including antibiotics.

6h: find a spot for the night, try to find drinking water or otherwise get some coco nuts, maybe get a fire going and find a save place to store the saplings
24h, definitely get that fire going, find a suitable place for a permanent shelter, work on that water, collect some shellfish and set up shore fishing rig
5 day, work on permanent shelter, start working on garden patch and plant saplings, explore island, check for water sources, make basic bamboo tools, do some fishing and get supply of food and water running.
>>
>>907790
as for the plan,

Water
Shelter
Fire
Food

Probably in that order. No fresh water on a (tropical?) island is the biggest nut to crack.
>>
>>907786
>which would quickly become rusted
No, they are made from Aluminium
>>
>>907790
yes tropical climate, like the picture in the OP

>And you have no way of collecting and purifying water, or cooking.
Rain water happens a lot in the tropics
I can cook shit by making a spit and roasting shit over a fire
>water stills
I thought you said I can't collect water? A tarp would work fine for a solar still (pic related)

>rifle plus ammo

You're not thinking very long term, dude.

>coast guard grade first aid kit
literally google "USCG First Aid Kit"
>>
>>907794
still I can get more use from the tarp than I could from the tent
>>
File: solar still.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
solar still.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>907803
forgot pic related
>>
>>907791
I thought about a large iron pot for cooking, but decided that I'd rather just make a spit to roast things over a fire.

The yams would be a good idea, but how long would you have to wait before you could eat them and gain any benefit from the carbs?

No knife?

I like your thinking though, anon.
>>
1. Cooking set with a pot, pan, knife, and spork.
2. Fishing set with line, hooks, and lures.
3. Machete
4. Fire starter kit.
5. Large tarp for shelter and collecting condensation/rain water.
6. Large first aid kit with antibiotics, gauze, alcohol, etc.
>>
>>907757
Item 1:
FTD-817 backpack, so I can radio somebody somewhere and offer them some of my pile of money to bring me shit every once and awhile

Item 2: Solar panel for charging radio/ipod

Item 3: Ipod, I'm going to get bored for 18 months

Item 4: Knife, since they're always useful

Item 5: Camera, since islands look nice

Item 6: TinyTrees Black Ice 72 Pack, because somebody needs to bring The Freshâ„¢.

What I do first:
Get on radio and offer somebody a bit of my pile of money to bring food and other shit every once and awhile.

24 hour plan: Listen to ipod

5 day plan: Sit on island

3. Would you and your mate survive the whole 18 months so you could get your $10,000,000?

Yes.
>>
>>907757
1. Tarp - for same reasons as OP, would prove invaluable especially given the lack of any fresh water source
2. Sharpened entrenching tool - gonna need to dig deep for those stills, could use my hands but this will save so much energy, can also serve as an axe
3. Well stocked first aid kit
4. Plenty of rope - could perhaps make cordage out of plant material but that's time consuming and may not be as sturdy as rope
5. Lots of fishing hooks - can do some handlining and put out longlines overnight
6. 10L cooking pot - needed for purifying water, making soups, gathering water from sills, storage
>>
>>907833
Good choices.

>>907834
lol you're gonna die within a few weeks you soft fuck

>>907836
Nice, mate. You might need a knife though too
>>
>>907889
>Die within a few weeks
I'm going to have everything I need, you're just jelly that you didn't think of the big picture.
>>
big cooking pot
big pack of lighters
gigantic pack of potato seedings if thats allowed
axe
I piece waterproof parka - like the kind mountain climbers use
.22 rifle w/ ammo if that counts as one item

friend to take along would be world's fattest man

minute 1 I shoot worlds fattest man with the .22 and butcher him and cure / smoke his meat for my 18 month stay.

As I understand it the issue would not be protein intake it would be total calorie intake. I think I could survive by just eating potatoes for raw calories and then my smoked cannibalism meat and just chill out expending as few calories as possible and getting a killer tan before I get my 10mil
>>
>>907832
No pot means no method of boiling water nor boiling foods, you can also collect water with it. If I had to bring a single item alone, then the pot.

Yams is special, you can eat the roots as well as the leafs, if you harvest one of the tubers the plant will just produce new ones, same for the leaves. In tropical climate it will take around a month for the first yam tubers to ripen.

Already have a machete, while a knife would come handy,l the other items are essentials.
>>
>>907759
>1. A large tarp - would be useful for shelter, making a solar still, collecting rainwater, and making a small sail for fishing around the reef that surrounds the island.
>you can build shelter easy enough from natural materials

>2. A hatchet/knife combo (they do exist) - best set of tools possible to making other tools, shelter, rafts, etc.
A good parang or golo will work better in tropical climate
>3. Flint/magnesium firestarter kit - for fires.
What fore, just make a bamboo saw fire
>4. 300 feet of good rope - for making shelter, fishing line, nets, traps, hammocks, etc.
You got no hooks, good luck making our own
>5. Coast Guard grade first aid kit - for obvious reasons
reasonable
>6. Snorkle/mask/flippers set - for spearfishing and diving for lobsters, clams, etc.
reasonable

You have no pot to boil water or cook in, enjoy your diarrhea and enjoy cooking tons of small seafood and plant items over open fire, enjoy 18 months of ash in your mouth and burnt fingers. alternatively, try to make a cooking vessel on a tropical island, you will waste tons of energy. Also you got no reliable source of carbs, enjoy living on oils and proteins for 18 months.

>>907790
Rifle fishing sounds retarded, so is hunting on a small island where the biggest animal is something like a rat or a small iguana.

>>907833
no carbs, but otherwise solid

>>907834
please go ahead, natural selection needs to have a go at you

>>907836
still no carbs, otherwise solid

>>907908
parka? what for? you're on a tropical island! Also, why cannibalism when you could fish?
>>
Is there any reason two of my items can't be an 8000 gallon tank full of fresh water and a pallet of gold bars?
>>
>>907932
Nope
>>
>>907806
No you cant. A tent is essentially a tarp plus a frame. If you have the tent you already have a tarp and all the other bits.
>>
Items:
playboy( To keep me entertained and calm )
Knife( To open up coconuts easily and many other stuff )
Fishing rod( to catch fishes )
Med kit( In case I get hurt. )
Tent ( so I can sleep )
Life straw( so I can drink fresh water )

My mate to bring: A suicidal person.( so he kills himself and I get his share of 10 million dollars)

My clothes:
Shorts and t-top. ( To keep cool )

6 Hour Plan: Spend 3 hours knocking open some coconuts and drinking from them ( or saving them for later ) using my knife. I'd spend the next 2 hours making camp fire ready by using my knife to cut up wood strips and grab rocks to make some fire safety circle. I'd light it up at night either using flint rocks or using a stick and rubbing it on the flat wood I carved out to make a friction fire. I'd then spend the next one hour setting up the tent which shouldn't really take one hour. If I have any time left I'll browse the playboy to keep myself entertained.

24 Hour Plan: I have coconuts to keep me hydrated and full so I'd survive off coconuts for a while, since this is just 24 hours the coconuts will do my nicely. But to save the coconuts I will normally be drinking the ocean with a life straw if I get thirsty. Hopefully the suicidal friend is starting to think about killing himself.

Day 5 plan: If my coconuts start to run out at this point then I'd try to find a new source of food. I'd grab sticks and sharpen them with my knife, then I'd wait for seabirds to land on a rock and I'd throw a spear at them. If successfully hit I'd eat them, if failed I'd probably try again for a few hours. I'd watch out for turtles so I can run up and stab them in their necks, I'd have good food there. I'd try fishing though it will be hard to catch fish without bait, if there ARE any insects on the island I'd use them as bait by grabbing them and hooking them on. If there isn't then I'd either wait till my suicidal friend to die or I'd shank him in his sleep and cut him up and use his fingers as bait.
>>
File: pitcairn-island-8.jpg (105KB, 740x374px) Image search: [Google]
pitcairn-island-8.jpg
105KB, 740x374px
>>907757
I actually have some experience living on an Island. I'm going to assume the Island is in the tropics.

Bringing my tomboy cousin for practical help and sexual relief.

>Items
1. A cast Iron cooking pot. When you cook food over embers you lose calories. You can stew with mixed fresh water and salt water. You can purify water. You can preserve food for the next day with the lid on as the contents has been sterilized.

2. Solar Stills. Along with coconuts this will provide enough fresh water for us and some left over to get our crop going.

3. Hand line and hooks for fishing. Lots of hooks lots of line. Fish will provide a large portion of our calories, including shellfish.

4. Taro or Yams. Hardy breeds suited to the island's climate and soil if possible. You need the calories and these suckers grow quick, the basis of the Polynesian diet.

5. Mosquito net. You won't be fishing, gathering,farming after being bitten by a million of these fuckers even if they don't give you a disease. Which they will because fuck you.

6. Waterproof matches. I've lit two fires by friction and I never want to be in a situation where I have to do that every day to survive.

>First 6 hours
Sit down on the beach, calm down. Take a little look around the immediate area. Take solar stills to ocean and fill. Move to above tide line but still in the sun. Try to towards where the noon sun will be. Clear an area of ground above tide line for mosquito net. Look around. Grab a coconut if I can.

>First 24 hours
Secure coconuts if possible. Most important task is making sure solar still works well. Fuck my cousin. Survey the island and determine what resources are available. Most uninhabited islands have cultivated trees left behind. Survey the beach

>5 days
Fish. Plant yams, enrich with ash. Raised platform for bed. Palm leaf roof. That's it.

>Would we survive
Skill wise I am comfortable but it depends 90% on the resources available on the island.
>>
1.MY MORAKNIV BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST
2.MY OPINEL BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST
3.A HAMMOCK
4.WHATEVER FLAVOR OF BACKPACK /OUT/RECOMMENDA THAT DAY
5.ARCTERYX BODY SUIT WITH THE MOST EXPENSIVE BOOTS
6.ANOTHER MORAKNIV
>>
>>908001
I reached the post limit but I wanted to talk about why I did not bring certain items which other people have brought in this thread.
I am by no means "right", you want all the gear you can get and most my experience is Australia/South Seas specific. Your mileage may vary.

>Why I have no knife/etc
Great to have one. Don't need it for coconuts. Don't need to fish. A pointy stick, a sharp rock does both.You can clear vegetation with hands and stones. Polynesians managed fine with stone tools. Most can be made with basalt but shellfish can produce passable imitations. Knife's are great but overrated slightly.

>Why I have no Tarp/Tent
Palm leaf thatch is super easy to make. A simple frame from broken branches is easy to lash together with whatever you find. I've actually tied them together with seaweed before. It will probably rot quick but you'll have to learn as you go. Keeping the rain off is easy. I know tents include a Mosquito net but the net is most important part and will let the breeze through to cool you down.

>Why I have no rope
Rope like plants are abundant everywhere. If you need to hang yourself you can braid them together to make something strong. If you want something premade for you get good fishing line it's 100x more useful than rope. You can even make a net out of it.

>Why I have no First AID Kit
Would like to have, like everything else but cuts heal up, salt water helps kill a lot of bacteria. If you have a toothache you're going to run out of painkillers pretty quickly anyway.

>Why I have no Gun and Ammo
Usually not much to hunt on these islands. If there are wild pigs, sharp sticks and traps work well. They have no where to run. Shooting fish is bullshit. Shooting birds would be good if they are big.

>Why I have no water filter
Coconut water is nearly always safe. Solar still water that has been boiled is as safe as your taps. Even if you drank water from a hole you'll be safe 99% of the time once your body adjusts.
>>
id bring a :
machete (obvious reasons)
tent (i see people posting "id bring a tarp lol XD" but they don't realize a tent is a tarp plus metal bits that can be made into other stuff)
ferrocerium fire starter with a little saw as a scraper
1kg of sugar(cookinng)
snorkel mask and flippers (same reason as OP)
box of water purifying tablets (obvious reasons)

as a mate I'd bring a trap i know (sexual pleasure)
5 hour plan : search around island for a perfect place for buildinga shelter while collecting all i can
24 hour plan : fuck trap
5 day plan : fuck trap some more and then gather more resources
>>
>>908002
hahaha
>>
>>908009
also , the sugar can be used to heal cuts that are too critical (forgot to mention )
>>
Large tarp

Large pot made of titanium(because salt water)

Large felling axe

Medium sized knife(also titanium)

Whet stone for care on axe and knife

Massive roll of twine or string
>>
1.) SUN HAT + light breathable clothes that cover my skin
i would be so unproductive if i had to worry about getting 5th degree sunburn from working during the day.

2.) huge stainless Pot
3.) Yams (stealing from that other guy)
4.) Loaded Fishing Kit
5.) Morakniv (stainless) with ferro rod
6.) Desalinization Facility
>>
>>908001
good thinking bringing the cousin
>>
>>907940
How dense can you be?? I can use a tarp as a tent AND other things!! I can only use the tent for just a tent.
>>
>>908344
i like how you forget that a tent is normally a small tarp + a bugnet. Use the bugnet under a natural or self-build lean-to as a shelter. Then you can use the outer layer of the tent for whatever you want. You are the dense one here.
>>
>>908346
Shut the fuck up. I chose a tarp and I think your reasoning for a tent instead is dumb and shortsighted. Deal with it.
>>
>>907790
>shot the fish
>>
>>908009

>a trap (sexual pleasure)

fuck /out/, you never fail to make me laugh.
>>
>>908400
thank you.

1) fancy 6 person tent (most of it would just be used for materials but there has to be enough left over to make a tarp tent and the mesh can be used to make one of the fog catchers)
2) one of those 5 gallon water cooler bottles (when its empty use it to make a filtration device for rain water/condensation collected off tent scraps and caught in mesh)
3) stupid meme lens for fire-starting
4) large rust proof titanium pot
5) clean titanium axe
6) fishing kit
>>
>>908433
>clean titanium axe
Why titanium?
>>
>>907757
/x/ here.

>time travel 18 months into the future
>mate is dead
>resurrect using necromancy
>we both get paid
>2ez4me
>take his money
>return triumphant with $20M and an undead thrall
>fuck succubi get money

If i had been hexed and couldnt time travel, id bring a machette, canteen, ferro rod, tarp, rope and compace.
>>
Would probably choose brother in law.
Pot for cooking and desalination
Large camp knife
As much cordage as I can get for 1 item
Hooks
FAK
Shotgun w/ rounds

6hr Build temporary shelter, gather coconuts for water and sunscreen.. scout island
24hr Begin work on permanent shelter
5d Place and make fish traps spend time making productive items that will also take my mind off of things. Build a raft for fishing. Maybe a surf board. Gonna be here a while.
Will we survive? Perhaps.
>>
>>908479
whats the shotgun for, most small islands hold no animals bigger than a rat or a small iguana, often not even that.
>>
>>908481
For doing the Kurt.
>>
>>908452
salt water will rust the shit out of everything else, it is less likely to break, it stays sharp longer (so the people who want to sell me expensive axes say).
>>
>>908500
Thats bullshit, you can use a normal axe even by the sea side, no problem, and steel is way better suited for the job than titanium. Everybody on ships uses steel tools, no one uses titanium.
>>
>>908500
(EDIT: before i get yelled at fuck you i'm not getting a brass axe).
>>
>>908500
>titanium axe
>confirmed for never used an axe
>>
>>908501
dude-- stainless steal rusts; that's why you don't use it for boat fittings...
>>
>>908505
a bit of rust doesn't kill an axe, which is not even made from stainless steel. not sure if you have ever been near the sea.
>>
>>908503
are you referring to the lack of weight? if i'm on an island for 18 months ill take the few extra chops it would take over hte chance of it dulling/breaking.
>>
>>908509
titanium axes are gimmicks for internet kids, no one uses them.
>>
>>908509
>dulling/breaking.
all axes dull, thats why you sharpen them. they do however not break just because a bit of seawater.
>>
File: sail.jpg (69KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
sail.jpg
69KB, 960x720px
>>908507
nope. never.
>>
>>908366
>make thread
>"prepare to defend your choices"
>skitzes out
noice
>>
first of all i would rape my mate the first day to show dominance
>>
File: imtiredofkillingretardeddragons.jpg (85KB, 840x623px) Image search: [Google]
imtiredofkillingretardeddragons.jpg
85KB, 840x623px
>>908366
>point out reasons to use a tent
>I WANT TO USE A TAAAAAAAAAARP
>mfw
gee, how do i know you're underage?
>>
>>908021
>6.) Desalinization Facility

To the sailors here, I've seen lifeboat water purifier/desalinated that operate via a hand pump. It seems like they have a long enough service life, so why mess about with solar stills? Anybody actually used one of these?

I'm surprised that nobody took a cabin cruiser as an item. Sure you can't use it to leave, but it's shelter and if we're taking a tent just to cannibalize, then a boat has an awe-inspiring amount of potential salvage.
>>
10 dead corpses

Thanks
>>
>>908875
wanted to, but it kinda spoils the game.
>>
big knife

i'd be fine
>>
I'd take a freezer with a dead elk in it
a generator
an amount of fuel
1 risky marijuana seed
1 fleshlight
>>
Here is my list:
1. A parang/machete.
2. A magnifying glass/lighter.
3. A cooking pot, about 17 cm diameter.
4. A tarpaulin. I choose this instead of a tent because I think a tarp will be more easily adaptable to other uses, and will still be fit for re-use as a means of shelter, compared to a purpose-built tent.
5. Fishing line and hooks, and casting net (which can be made from fishing line).
6. Sweet potato/tapioca/yams. If the island has no bamboo, bring bamboo saplings because bamboo is a crazy useful plant for with many survival uses.

6 hour plan:
Collect as many coconuts as possible. Prepare kindling and firewood. Collect palm fronds in preparation for making shelter.

24 hour plan:
- Make shelter - (1) Raised platform for sleeping to avoid centipedes and scorpions, (2) Shelter should protect against wind and rain. Its design would depend on what types of native plants are already available e.g. bamboo would be ideal.
- See if there are rock pools that contain crabs and small fishes at low tide.
- Ensure there is a way to collect and store water. I might use the tarp and cooking pot to trap condensation at night when I sleep. I would make arrangements such that if it rains, I will be able to use the tarp to collect and store rainwater.

5 day plan:
- Ensure there is a composting system for the tapioca/yam/sweet potato growing plan.
- Make rope from plant fibres.
- Make fish traps using bamboo if available.
- Make spears for fish/turtles.
- Evaporate salt water for salt to preserve food. I might also preserve fish by drying it in the sun, or by smoking.

I think the weak point in my plan is that I don't have a way to fight infection of cuts, sunburn, food poisoning, malaria, dengue fever etc. which are things that are likely to happen in the tropics. I would carry medicine if the item limit was increased.
>>
>>907757
I lived in a small tropical island in the Pacific and unless you specify rat or mosquitoes being present everyone is bullshiting about what they'd do.
>>
>1. What 6 items do you bring to aide in your survival? List why you chose those items and how you'd use each one. Be prepared to defend your choice.
-desalination pump
-large stainless steel pot with lid
-machete
-heavy duty water shoes
-binoculars (mostly for the lenses for fire but also to see for long distances
-bag of fish hooks

>2. What do you do first? What's your 6 hour plan? Your 24 hour plan? Your 5 day plan?
-6 hour plan: take a walk around and see what there is around
-24 hour plan: select a site for a permanent shelter somewhere central and sheltered from the elements. Start to collect materials for shelter living
-5 days plan: make sure I am well hydrated and try out some methods and locations for food gathering, figure out if I need to ration wood for fires generally,

>3. Would you and your mate survive the whole 18 months so you could get your $10,000,000?
It'd could be tough to support 2 people on a little island but I think it'd be okay.
>>
Why can't we take as an item around 1200 x 1 gallon sterile water bottles?
>>
1. A large pot-boiling sea water and cooking, possibly the most important imo
2. A knife/hatchet or some combination thereof for obvious reasons.
3. Duct tape-for shelter, securing stuff, etc.
4. Matches or a lighter, you can use the flint once it's fuel expires.
5. Hunting tool-rifle, bow variant, etc.
6. Fishing line
>>
>>907812
You never mentioned a pot though.
>>
1: Pot for cooking and boiling water
2: Lots of spare Socks
3: Good quality kukri/machete. I normally would opt for a knife but I figure since we're in the tropics
4: Tent or a tarp. Tarp might actually be better because shelter + water, collection and for keeping wood dry and ready to be light.
5: slingshot for birds and small animals
6: Anti-biotics. Or just a general sort of FAK. Medicine in general just seems near invaluable in this situation.
I know I'm missing a lot of stuff here but I figure it's enough for the bare minimum and my mate will probably bring some stuff too
Priorities would be Shelter > Water > Food
I don't really know too much about survival, how'd I do?
>>
>>910119
Fishing likely will yield you way more protein on a small island than a slingshot.
>>
>>910122
Good point, thanks anon
>>
clothing - all synthetics, 2 pairs of socks and underwear, a normal teeshirt, a long sleeved over shirt, a wide brimmed hat, cargo pants, a light rain jacket, a wool beanie, gloves. bonus item: swimsuit / water shoes.

1. Large capacity desalinator / purifier (20,000 liters) - water is no longer a problem
2. Large titanium pot, probably 10 liters - cooking, transport things
3. Mid / large forest axe, Maybe swap this for some kind of machete, but I'm very comfortable with the axe
4. Fishing kit with lots of hooks, bobbers, weights, baits etc.
5. crap ton of painters plastic wrap, the thickest you can get, like 20 mil - the industrial spools are like 1000 square feet - this has about a million uses
6. High test fishing line - lets say 1000 meters of it. Doubles as rope.

bonus item 7 if I can add the fishing line from item 6 to the fishing kit, pack of bic lighters. I'd also like a first aid kit, but thats a nice to have, not a must have.

6 hour plan:
- scout, gather anything useful I find to a central location
- select a location for to build shelter after a fairly in depth survey of the island
- begin basic shelter construction, goal is to get a frame up and drape enough plastic over it that if it rains I stay dry and we can collect the rain water

24 hours
- gather coconuts or other edibles
- improve shelter
- setup anchored fishing lines to try and fish passively
- start checking low tide areas for crabs

to be continued... fucking comment length limit
>>
>>910292
>>910292

5 days
- gather fire wood to near shelter (on going forever)
- build an off the ground bed
- Start gathering vines for extra rope
- build spears, start weaving a fish net
- finish shelter, hopefully about 12x12 wood frame with a 7 foot ceiling and 3.5 closed walls against some kind of natural barrier in case of hurricanes.
- examine all resources on the island, if I can find clay i'd add that as a intermediary layer to the shelter to try and insulate, as well as build a fireplace. That would be ongoing for several weeks to get the clay, water it, shape it and fire it. I'd hopefully be able to build bowls too.
- Try and find seeds is possible to start farming, again that will be an ongoing process.
- Setup 5-8 rain caches with the extra plastic sheets, start gathering a food store in a separate structure.

thats about it, I'm sure there would be ongoing changes make the shelter a bit bigger, build a cot, but once the first month is over I think it would just be the daily routine of getting food, preparing it, fixing anything that seems to be broken, but the biggest challenge I think would be fighting off boredom. The first 3-6 months might be fun but the next year would be quite a grind.

Maybe I'd try to build a raft just in case.
>>
>>910292
>>910295

I do think I'd survive, I don't think resources would be the issue, I think the potential downfall is that you get a cut, it gets infected, you can't clean it and die from that. I don't think exposure would be that big of a deal either.
>>
Screw people, I'd take my dog. He's easier to get along with and wouldn't object to me keeping his share of the money.

1) 50+ foot RV equipped with solar panels and satellite TV

2) Shipping container filled with MREs

3) Sailboat (I'll stay within the internationally recognized ten mile shore limit)

4) still; mostly for water, but I'll make shine too.

5) hammock

6) tarp!!! Rrrrrreeeeeeee!

Okay, now here's a real challenge: fuck the number of items, what would you bring that you could carry for twenty miles?
>>
1. Reverse osmosis pump (manual not electric)

2. Machete

3. Fishing kit

4. Water bags

5. Several packs of lighters and fire starters

6. Bottle of everclear, in case shit gets nasty
>>
I would bring my stepdad
1. Big tarp
A. Get out of the sun
B. Can be turned into rope
C. Rainwater collection
2. A lot of rice. 50lbs per person
A. Carbs
B. Goes good with fish
C. Carbs
3. Machete
A. Cutting trees
B. Opening coconuts
C. Making spears
4. Water purifier
A. Freshwater
B. There's no need for B
5. Diving gear
A. Spear fish
B. Get shellfish
C. Sneak up on seabirbs
6. Fishing gear
A. High test line can be used as rope
B. Catch fish
C. Catch birds

Get to the island and set up the tarp. Get a fire started. Get the saltwater to start turning it into freshwater. Fish.
Eat as much fish and bird as we can with half a cup of rice a day.
Make an outhouse. Explore the island and see what our recourses are.
>>
>>907757
Katadyn Survivor 06 Desalinator
DRAG NET 50ft X 6ft MONO 12.5mm squares 25mm floats & sinkers
200 Meters of climbing rope
Large tarp
Axe
cast iron pot

Start desalination going
Catch dinner
Make shelter
Eat
Build smoker
Smoke fish
Descend rock face and look for eggs
repeat until done
>>
>>907757
Leave me on the island to live, no money necessary.
>>
>>911945
guitar
>>
>>908526
This. Shit went downhill quick.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.