[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /out/ i will be travelling to nepal in a few days to do some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: downer.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
downer.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
hey /out/ i will be travelling to nepal in a few days to do some trekking, there are a few things i need, the first is a down jacket. does anyone know where i can buy a down jacket that is good quality for around $100 dollars, is it worth paying more than that?
>>
You get what you pay for with down. Higher fill means better warmth to volume. A 100 fill jacket made to keep you warm to 0c would be way bigger and bulkier than the same jacket made with 900 fill. Smaller volume of insulation not only means lighter and more easily packed but easier to layer over (with a shell) and under (fleece layer and underwear).
>>
>>905873
>Layer over down puffy
Why would you?
>>
I bought my down puffy IN Nepal. Might be a knock off but it works and cost me 30 bucks in Kathmandu

If you're a poor fag just buy one there
>>
>>905862
There are plenty of viable $50 options on amazon and ebay. It's certainly not worth paying much more than that, considering that the weight and volume savings are rather insignificant and most jackets come with 500+ fill anyhow. If you're actually hiking, you probably wont be wearing your down jacket anyways (primarily for camp and snack breaks).
>>
>>905931
goretex for wind and rain protection, down for warmth
>>
>>905964
STAY AWAY FROM GORTEX
>>
>>905992

How come?
>>
A friend of mine works at Uniqlo, their 700 fill jackets
are apparently on sale right now for $30-$40. I tried on
hers and other than the women's fit it seemed like a
really nice jacket, super lofty and warm.
>>
>>905964
But down is windproof and if its raining then it's not cold enough to wear a puffy.
>>
>>906024
No way it is 700 fill power, well made and going for that cheap.
>>
>>906013
Gortex isn't water-proof. The last thing you want is to have your jacket saturated with down underneath.
>>906024
It looks like most of their "ultra light" down jackets are $60+. I couldn't find the fill number on Uniqlo's website, but as said above, the weight and volume savings aren't significant enough to justify another $20 when you can get something like a Hawke & Co off Amazon.
>>906038
Down jackets are hardly windproof, especially if they are packable. Nylon breathes... If it's raining, of course it may be cold enough to wear a puffy...
>>906042
There might be examples of such a jacket, but fill power of a down jacket to me is irrelevant. The cubic cm and weight is negligible when backpacking. A quality sleeping bag is another story. Perhaps if it's constantly below freezing and you need more fill as opposed to fill power, I would look into a pricer jacket. For three seasons, save your money and get any $50 down jacket you find on Amazon.
>>
File: ebd.jpg (260KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
ebd.jpg
260KB, 1200x1500px
>>905862
eddie bauer has good quality down at great prices if you wait for their sales
>>
>>905992
>>906013

I am beginning to agree on the gore-tex not only not waterproof, but it doesn't breath all. A gimmick, with lot and lots of $$$ spent on marketing rather than innovating and really improving their products.
>>
t. people who wade through rivers with cheap goretex boots and wonder why their feet get wet.
>>
>>906089
There are windbreakers made of nylon. The amount of heat lost to "breathing" through down is minuscule.
>>
>>906345
gear queen
>>
>>906348
Good luck, chump
>>
I don't get all this about goretex not being waterproof, I've walked through streams and puddles that are as deep as the top of my boots, my feet have never got wet while wearing them, yeah, if your feet sweat, they'll stay wet, but they've never got wet from outside water getting in
>>
>>906042
They don't advertise that number on their site but some hiking magazine contacted the supplier
and that's what they told them. Google it that's what I did.

Regardless of full power, I'm happy with it. Decent quality nylon fabric and very nice and warm
for the ~20 degree nights we've been having here.
>>906089
I can confirm it's $37, went there the other day and that's what I paid. Maybe the deal is in store only.
>>
>>906501
goretex is a membrane, it can get wetted out.

For simplicity it's easier to refer to it as waterproof, as it certainly is in MOST situations. There are of course caveats namely when there isn't enough of a temp differential.

People who scream about goretex not being waterproof, like the douche above, are just splitting hairs.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.