[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here in college who has an /out/ major? Freshwater

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: images.jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 275x183px
Anyone here in college who has an /out/ major?

Freshwater Fisheries Bio here.
>>
>>903672
Im transferring to ESF next year for forestry. bretty comfy
>>
>>903675
what's esf?
>>
File: 7cOw8fW.jpg (2MB, 2048x1368px) Image search: [Google]
7cOw8fW.jpg
2MB, 2048x1368px
Graduated in Bioenvironmental engineering with a specialization in water. Currently a water/wastewater engineer.

It's decent, but I'm going to grad school for CS in January. I do get to go outside from time to time which is nice.
>>
Geologybro here. Hoping to intern at Dinosaur National Monument or Big Bend this summer.
>>
>>903672
Did geology undergrad. Shit major no jerbs. Fuck earth science.
>>
I double majored in Biological Lab Science at Davenport and Fisheries and Wildlife at Michigan State, loved both programs
>>
I'm graduating this December with my Ph.D. in biological cciences with a specialization in ecology
>>
>>903830
Fuck. Stupid beer. *Biological sciences
>>
Looks like I'm gonna be stuck getting a biochemistry degree. Are there any /out/ careers can I get with it or am I fucked?
>>
>>903839
I have heard that a biochemistry degree is surprisingly flexible in regards to outdoor careers.
>>
>>903842
really? All the degree really is, is protein and enzyme kinetics/analysis/etc. There's hardly a bio component in it.
do you know any more about this?
>>
>>903842
cont

I haven't heard of a single job for biochem outside of labwork or graduate studies
>>
>>903855
I'm>>903830, so biochemistry isn't my forte.
However, go to usajobs.gov and type "biochemistry" into the search field. There are currently 112 jobs that pop up, some of which undoubtedly include an outdoor component.
>>
>>903864
You can also join the ECOLOG listserv. While it is primarily geared towards academia/graduate programs, they some times post about job opportunities for people with your academic background.
>>
>>903672
Finished B.Sci with hons in plant ecology 18 months ago. Still tossing up whether to jump into a PhD or not

>>903830
whats your thesis on?

>>903760
Thats almost the opposite to what I have heard. Not saying you're wrong, but maybe you're just not looking broadly enough, esp. in terms of consulting work?
>>
Cool majors and stuff.

Im a forklift driver at a plant. Work 3 days a week have 4 day weekends. Take home 2200 a month. No debt. Got a big boat and nice truck. Go fishing every week. Feels good man.

So how's the loan debt and stuff?
>>
>>903672
environmental studies.
i regret it but ill make due
>>
this is probably a good place to ask.
any body ever done any work for something like the maine conservation corps, or Massachusetts' DCR or even something like the merchant marines.
>>
>>903733
>>903760
Geology here too! Taking a year off to save some cash, then off to petrology grad work somewhere. What subdisciplines were you fellows into?

Might get to TA for my field camp if I go to BGSU, they go to NM and CO, gorgeous field areas.
>>
Currently E.S. but plan on transferring schools and studying forestry. Probably going to start doing wildland firefighting work and hopefully make my way up to smokejumping.
>>
>>903885
My dissertation focuses on generating statistical predictions of the distributions of invasive species.
>>
Fish snd wildlife conservation biology: concentration wildlife biology. Bachelors. Just graduated about a year ago.
Nabbed a fun job in the philippines monitoring coral/fisheries, but the pay is lousey...
>>
Graduated undergrad with a BS in environmental science. Masters in environmental science. Just finished my phD in ecology.

I work for the state as a fisheries biologist. It sucks. I hate wildlife work. Sounded good when I was younger. Turned into shuffling around interns because the state cant pay full time employees. I'm transferring back into soil science shortly.
>>
>>907585
I'll add. Wildlife work is typically low paying. The USAjobs jobs advertise the max payout after 20+years.

With a phD in a high level state position, I'm making 55k/year. In soils science, I was making 140+/year. Dont get caught up in wildlife. To make a paycheck in it, they take you out of the field and put you in an office.

If you like wildlife work, do it, but realize that you will have to sit behind a desk for a good salary. And the field work doesnt require brains, just a degree.
>>
>>907586
what are you doing for a job with soil science? I'm currently in environmental science, conservation biology major, but I find soil science interesting and I'm thinking about switching to something more soil related
>>
File: sea_lion_arbitrary_1.jpg (326KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sea_lion_arbitrary_1.jpg
326KB, 1920x1080px
>>903923
should have done enviro. policy
That's what I'm dong and I love it. Not to mention it'll be nice to not be unemployed once I graduate. :^)
>>
Geology w/ paleontology emphasis here. Should've graduated this spring but beside of one bullshit cultural understanding requirement had to delay it until August. Probably going to volunteer at museums to do prep work then go to grad school. Planning for a phd but we'll see about that.
>>
>>907585
>fisheries biologist and hates it
Shit dude thats what I've been gunning for. I've done an internship as a forest service ranger and would love field work. Can i even hope to get into the field and work up with just a Bachelors?

>>>>907586
USA jobs lists at like $14ish an hour, is that really maxing out in that field? What would a logical next step be in the same vein that doesnt involve sitting behind a desk all day if that exists anymore?
>>
>>903968
Mapping potential distributions in maxent? Or is there more to it?
>>
>>907680
>Can i even hope to get into the field and work up with just a Bachelors?
yeah, as in most fields its more about who you know than what you know. Dont be worried about getting into wildlife work. certain aspects of it you can still make decent money in, but that shouldnt be your reason for getting into it. a good backup is consultation work which is always in demand if you have a broad skill set.

>>907597
have fun riding that pine 9-5 smfh tbqh mate.
>>
Undergraduate in environmental management.

Thinking of focusing on EIA and pushing for an environmental protection officer gig on graduating.

I figure along with GIS proficiency I should have reasonable career prospects.

Less concerned about working /out/ than living rural and getting out regularly. Currently either work or university 7 days a.week makes it hard to get out for anything more than an overnighter.
>>
Currently in my last year of the bachelor in Forestry/Silvology. After that I'll tackle master or become a forester
>>
>>907680
>e field work. Can i even hope to get into the field and work up with just a Bach

If you're a fish major you can always become a fisheries observer. Pay is pretty good, living conditions suck ass, everyone I know that did it stopped after a few years. You can't put down roots and relationships are pretty hard. But for people in their early 20's its not a bad start. However it seems to be to be kind of a dead end.
>>
>>903696
Im proud of you son
>>
>>907680
With a bachelors, You'll max at 18/hr.

Government internships are meant to be "fun" in order to get you to take the job.

>>907591
I've been mapping soil types for the past couple years before going fisheries. Sounds like a boring job, but I love it. Pretty much going around classifying soils based upon different physical/chemical properties. Dig a bunch of holes and look at it. Gets you out on top of mountains, flood plains, farmlands, etc. Lots of consulting work too. I just didnt go that path
>>
>>903924
Ha, interesting you say the DCR. Thats where I started. Lots of political nonesuch in the Mass state. Low pay, but fun enough work. As a note, they advertise the highest pay scales and the posted ranges are for top levels.

In your area, look into the larger conservation groups in the area. Lots of work in them. Mainly seasonal, but they actually lead to jobs for good workers. Again, lower pay, but thats expected with that field
>>
>>903675
You lucky bastard. I want to go there but too broke and tied down to stuff in NYC. I have settled for Queens College instead with a basic bio major, hoping to get into one of the wildlife labs on campus. Wish you the best of luck.

>>903694
Suny ESF, Environmental Science and Forestry
>>
>>903889
Where do you live?
>>
>>903672
Yup, forestry. Hopefully I will eventually have a decent forest management job rather than just measuring trees all day, I'd get more money than being a technician, it would satisfy my urge for strategy games, and I would take my off time taking my now girlfriend(hopefully then wife) and kids out. I really want to get a job in Washington, just not with the forest service since their methods, lack of management, and beurocracy is just off the walls and in my opinion wasteful.
>>
>>907693
I use Maxent as part of my work, but I've generated an entirely novel framework that actively incorporates multiple dispersal parameters and organism natural history (e.g., temperature-dependent reproduction).
>>
Architectural Engineering. I build Cairns.
>>
>>908249
+1
>>
>>908245
Sounds pretty cool m8
>>
>>907745
Kentucky would be a good place to look for fishery related jobs, I live there.

They have a big emphasis on them here, ever since they depleted the lakes in the 1800s and accidentally fucked the ecosystem over by bringing in invasive species. Lots of /out/ jobs in Kentucky if anyone wants a new place to check out..
>>
>>903672
Does horticulture count?

If so then yes.
>>
>>903760
if you can't get a job with a gealogy degree you are literally retarded. oil compwnies hire geo degrees as fast as the unis can pump them out.
>>
>>903672
ENV major here
>>
>>903889

Yeah, but also nobody will ever care about a paper you write, nobody will ever work slavishly because their job depends on you. In the words of sociologists, you lack what is called "prestige" in your social status.

If you care about being somebody important, and you aren't born into extreme wealth, sometimes you gotta accept having a little bit of debt in the current society, the way things are set up regarding college and whatnot.

Making the choice to go for stability and solvency over prestige is your choice to make, and is a valid one, but it isn't an objective one. People can make different choices.
>>
>>907585
What state?
>>
>>908442
Horticulture here. Gonna have my degree next spring.

Anyone here in GIS? I've been curious about it. Do I need a degree or can I get certificates on my own?
>>
>>909297
As in do employees mostly demand a degree in GIS or can I get by with certificates and a separate degree?
>>
>>909298
*employers

too much gin
>>
What's the best bio-related field to major in if I want jobs?
>>
>>909298
gis certificates aint shit im afraid
>>
Fleming, anyone else?
>>
>>903672
Marine Bio & Environmental Science.
>>
>>903889
Pretty good, I got a full tuition scholarship.
>>
Freshman in plant science with horticulture focus. Any advice?
>>
>>909298
having your major and then just knowing your way around a GIS program is enough generally
>>912069
Fuck horticulture - get into ecology m8
>>
Have a year under my belt in a biology undergrad with intention to specialize into either ecology or neuroscience.

Currently debating dropping that completely to go into machine learning. I'm a natural US citizen so I can move back at any time but I have dual citizenship in a country with tuition free university.

Should I change or am I on a good career path? I think I enjoy both fields more or less equally.
>>
Currently mechanical engineer major, but if I can't manage calc II then I will have to change. Highly likely to pick wildlife biology or something if I do.
>>
>>903889
Usmc vet. Uncle sam takes care of my school.
>>
File: back.jpg (580KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
back.jpg
580KB, 1920x1080px
I just started college using military TA.
I want to do so many things though it really makes college hard sticking to one path.
This is what im currently doing, but starting with gen eds in case it changes.

Program Name:Environmental Science (BS)
Concentration:Fish and Wildlife Management
>>
File: P2.jpg (3MB, 3284x1488px) Image search: [Google]
P2.jpg
3MB, 3284x1488px
1st year MSci. Ecology & Conservation with a minor in microbiology, most likely going on to do postgraduate study but I've yet to figure out what I want to write my thesis on, hopefully something that lets me get /out/ into the tropics, I'm sick of walking around moors and dales. Pic related: I was walking around looking at moss and studying glacial till here last month.
>>
File: 1482186207681.png (489KB, 736x490px) Image search: [Google]
1482186207681.png
489KB, 736x490px
Just transferred to the best college in my state. Majoring in Geology. Military covers tuition. Hopefully being involved and networking gets me a good job when I'm done.
Tips?
>>
Does geography count? I have an internship doing and ecological restoration at my city's park and rec department, so even if my major isn't /out/ then my job is for sure.
>>
>>915729
Also, I plan to do either Forestry or Fisheries/Wildlife grad work after I graduate
>>
I'm thinking about doing geology.

I don't really know what I want to do though. The only thing I've ever really been interested in is animals but there isn't really jobs doing that.
>>
File: IMG_0595.jpg (437KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0595.jpg
437KB, 1280x960px
>>915757
Geology is shit don't do geology. Oil is bust and even if it comes back it'll be a long time before they're hiring fresh grads. Environmental is overcrowded and pays jack shit, things like USGS require PhD and are competitive and rare.

As to OP, I've got a degree in Geology, no luck finding any /out/ job though.
>>
>>915767
I just don't really know what to do. It doesn't have to be /out/ i just am currently in CS and I really hate it.
>>
>>915769
Hell even bio is probably a safer vet, especially if you go into something dealing with wildlife and game and whatnot. Or be a vet, decent demand for ag vets I think.

Or give geology a shot, but 2bh Geography is probably better job wise. All the gov jobs want cartographers if you don't mind the tedium of GIS.
>>
>>915771
I don't think I could be a vet or deal with pets/domestic animals. Wild animals would be okay but biology always seems like a meme degree that everyone does because they wanna be a doctor.

For geo I honestly though I would be able to maybe even get a masters, I read somewhere masters opens up a lot of jobs and worst case scenario I could teach at a community college or something.
>>
>>915771
Also meteorology and oceanography are pretty neat too if you like math and physics or still want to do computational shit.
>>
>>903672
Natural Resource Conservation - Forestry major. I'm a freshman so no major specific courses yet, they start next semester
>>
>>915767
According to my dad (works in ground water cleanup) they can't find enough hydrology majors to hire.

Something environmental with a minor in Hydro or vice versa would make you insanely employable AFAIK
>>
>>903672
About to enter my last semester of my undergrad for Biology: Natural Resources. Just finished a fisheries course, was pretty cool. Electrofishing is fun.
>>
>>915757
There are plenty of jobs in animal related things, if you're not a dead shit and get skills and do internships.

Same with any science major - its often more about who you know / connect with through your undergrad - that and being in it for the fun of it, not chasing money. You may have to work some poor paying jobs or do a PhD or internship or something, but at the end of the day if you want to work with animals there are more than enough jobs out there.

Geology is good too, but again, same deal. I wouldnt do it unless you're interested in it.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.