[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a cheap bag ok? What is really the difference between thi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: bag.jpg (84KB, 951x586px) Image search: [Google]
bag.jpg
84KB, 951x586px
Is a cheap bag ok? What is really the difference between this ans a $100 bag?

I don't like to live outside my means

https://www.amazon.com/All-Season-Mummy-Sleeping-87x32in/dp/B01DFT0R00/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
>>
>>900279
>Is a cheap bag ok?
Depends on what you're doing with it.
>What is really the difference between this ans a $100 bag?
That looks like a decent enough sleeping bag though that's probably more to do with it being on sale. Don't know if Amazon takes black friday as seriously as other retailers but it looks like it from your pic.

Generally speaking, the differences are in weight, size when packed and what temperatures are comfortable. That one claims to be good down to 20 degrees armpit but I'd take that with a grain of salt.
>>
Why is there no recommended gear sticky?
>>
>>900314
Because differences in use, environments, preferences and so on. That sticky would end up being as long as the bump limit and nobody would agree on anything. You'd be better served by just reading the catalogue of a sports store.
>>
>>900279
A sleeping bag can be 2 of the following three things

Warm
Light
Cheap

It can not be all 3 unfortunately
>>
>>900279
I bought a bag like this about 10 years ago at an outlet store for about $60 except it was a -10F mummy. Looked just like yours. I took it on multiple winter outings in 0 weather with snow sometimes. I had no complaints other than my fatass was a little crammed inside it and it was a little bulky when packing. When I upgraded to a good Northface one, after a few years, I gave it to my sister who continues to use it to this day. My $200 Northface is definitely better but the cheapy was great for when I was poor.
>>
the main thing I notice when looking is is crush-ability and weight.check that to better ones you see they get lighter quick. I've seen a down one crushed to a nfl football that worked down to -20c.
>>
>>900279
I would just like to say fuck you OP. I clicked your link a few days ago and it sent me to my amazon app. I checked out the pics and specs of the bag and then closed the app. Today, I get home from work and an Amazon box with your stupid cheap bag is sitting on my doorstep. I don't know how I purchased the damn thing but here it is and Amazon is giving me shit about returning it.
You owe me $36 you dick
>>
>>902670

Where are you located?
>>
>>902673
New Zealand
>>
>>902670
You have to be legitimately retarded if you ordered something from Amazon without knowing it. Even with one click buying, you are directed to another page where you have to make very clear and conscious inputs on your device to order something.

You deserve the loss of the money.
>>
>>900279
it says 32-60°F and as far as I could tell it does not conform to EN 13537 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13537) so I wouldn't trust the numbers too much

I wouldn't use this bag for temperatures much below 60°F (at least not if you want to be comfortable) and for temperatures like that you could also take some warm blanket that you might already own.
>>
>>902723
and as a further piece of advice, if you like to go out, get a (full) down sleeping bag for the temperature you need, it'll cost you between 100-200 bucks (more if you need sub ~-5°C), store it UNCOMPRESSED somewhere dry, inform yourself before washing it and it'll easily last you 10 years with regular use. if you can afford that it's very much worth the investment.

(cheap) synthetic filled bags are heavy, bulky and the filling loses it's loft quickly (which is where the warmth of a bag comes from)
they are only to be preferred if you need to go cheap (or maybe in the very high end department I don't know about that) and even then they'll cost you more in the long term because they get lose their warming capabilities quicker than down bags
>>
With sleeping bags the price varies mostly depending on what material is used.
Generally :
Synthetic=cheap
down=expensive
down has several upsides over synthetic materials, however you might not need those.
Its mostly lighter and very much smaller when packed together, which can be really important if you are going on long trips, where you need to safe weight and space. If you are going car camping tho, that wouldnt matter.
Especially for very low temperatures synthetics get gigantic. I ordered one til -20C and when it arrived instantly returned it because it was so gigantic and decided to spend more on a down bag.
Just think about what you need it for.
Also what >>902727 said. If down is treated properly it remain in shape longer
>>
>>900279
Depends what you want to do with it. Its probably fine for car camping down to 0c, I wouldnt want to carry that hiking through or take it down to -20c
>>
>>902670
sounds like you've been given a quest. Odin wills you to sleep in the bush and under stars, you'd better get your ass out there and find something to live for.
>>
Whats the max weight you would be willing to carry for a winter sleeping bag? think it gets to be around -10F at night around here
>>
>>900279
>>902701
Yeah nah m8 just buy a used fairydown bag of trademe.
>>
Bought a sleeping bag rated for 5 degrees on amazon from china for like 40 bucks. Temp went down to like 16 that night. Woke up shivering most cold I've ever been in my life.
>>
>>907534
Rip
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.