[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which ones are the best? Which ones are shit? Which ones are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 21

File: National-Parks-Map-Medium.jpg (377KB, 2048x1401px) Image search: [Google]
National-Parks-Map-Medium.jpg
377KB, 2048x1401px
Which ones are the best?
Which ones are shit?
Which ones are overrated?
Which ones are underrated?
>>
>national parks

They're all trashed by hikers and campers. Go to national forests instead. Less regulations. You aren't being spied on by rangers. You don't have that many hiker faggots trashing the place. Free to hunt. Good fishing.
>>
>>900226
This. Also lots of hunting/fishing spots. In addition to that some states allow public use of timber land or tax forfeited land.
>>
They're all great. Don't be autistic.
>>
File: 1478139532633.png (357KB, 1553x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1478139532633.png
357KB, 1553x1202px
/thread
>>
>>900293
>GCNP = 6.5

Well, that's a lie.
>>
>>900293
Virginia deserves more than a 3. South Carolina should be 0.
>>
>>900293
PA, WV, MD, VA are a solid 5
>>
>>900308
Its an autistic picture don't listen to it.
>>
>>900293
Oklahoma and Texas are about the best states in the country for hunting and fishing. This thread looks like it was made by an autistic hiker fag
>>
Death Valley is the most underrated. Visit in April.

Most overrated are Great Smokey and Grand Teton
>>
>>900293
Never spent long in Arizona I see.
>>
>>900293
your opinion is wrong
>>
File: Rondane.jpg (470KB, 1073x1073px) Image search: [Google]
Rondane.jpg
470KB, 1073x1073px
>>900212
>>
>>900543
Jotunheimen>Rondane
>>
>>900622
All the national parks in that area are really good tbqh
>>
>>900343
Was in Death Valley this April. Loved it. What's wrong with Grand Teton?
>>
I live in the Great Smokys and the area is gorgeous, one of my favorite places to live if you have to live on the east coast, however it's terribly polluted. It's also on fire right now.
>>
>>900293
Wisconsin and Minnesota a vastly underrated in pic related.
>>
File: IMG_4610.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4610.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>900293
>Alaska 8.5
It's cold out right now. I'd give it a solid 8.49
>>
>>900293

>Iowa a 0
>not 12/10

Obviously you've never passed out drunk in a cornfield after fucking your cousin.
>>
>>901156

I love cornfields actually. Fun to walk in, fun to party in. On corn mazes at halloween I like to stalk people and scare the shit out of them. The venue should pay me desu. It's like hunting but for faggots rather than deer. But really corn fields have this nice creepy isolated vibe to them, it's legit. Might even be better than innawoods in some ways.

Of course the farmers aren't keen on you wandering their crop.
>>
File: 1429579437221a.jpg (112KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
1429579437221a.jpg
112KB, 1152x864px
>>900293
Wisconsin higher than Minnesota....
>>
>900293
here's your (you)

the only thing "official" is that you're officially an idiot

>makes thread(s) to rank states
>uses own personal, ignorant opinions as benchmark
>makes claims about states without ever stepping foot in them
>continues to repost it as if it's any less useless than the first time
>>
>>900293
some of the best (YOU) bait this side of the equator
>>
File: 1420160522363.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1420160522363.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Australian here
I plan on visiting Yellowstone and yosemite next year around august.
I know there will be touristy spots where you take the obligatory photo of the nice scenery (im obviously going to be doing this shit because im spending thousands of dollars to get there) but how hard is it to just start walking around the park into the middle of nowhere and find some nice little place to camp for a night or 2 and just do your own thing?
if we do it wed keep it tidy and well kept so would the rangers give us shit and tell us to fuck off? or would they let us be?

and are there any better national parks/ places (central and east coast USA) that give similar views to yosemite park.
>>
>>900212

PSA...keep in mind there are Lots...LOTS of great parks/public wilderness areas that aren't "National Parks." Many are better than the national parks.
>>
>>901938
suggestions plz
>>
>>901968

The Kootenai National Forest in months
>>
>>900293
Whoever made this has obviously never been to Minnesota
>>
>>901934

National Parks are heavily regulated with the purpose of preservation. The point is to leave the land as undisturbed as possible and limit the destruction that comes from human interaction with the land. Sure, sure, we'd never trash the place, but millions of shitty humans going off trail will bring ruin to the parks.

Go visit, but remember National Parks are more like a living museum, designed to display and present. Camping it very limited, contained, and frankly disappointing if you're looking for wilderness.

That being said, most western National Parks are surrounded by National Forest, Bureau of Land Managemet, National Wilderness and various state conservation lands which are usually much more lax in terms of use. As stated National Forests allow hunting, fishing, resource collection, dispersed camping, etc.

Also remember, National Parks are created by congress and are usually considered to be sites of such importance that they need to be preserved for the ENTIRE nation. That means they need to be so important that CONGRESS need to AGREE that they are so important they need to be taken away from states and given federal jurisdiction. Good luck getting congress to agree to just about anything.

If you're going to Yellowstone I suggest Shoshone National Forest. Its very large, very beautiful, very easy to access and just as beautiful as anything Yellowstone has regarding the high country. Stay there and drive into the park for the day and then come back.

Also, you DO know that Yellowstone and Yosemite are about a thousand miles apart, right? You'd be surprised how often people misjudge distance and time in the west. When I worked in South Dakota people would tell me they are going to head to Yellowstone later that day. They don't realize it takes 8 hours to drive from Rapid City to Yellowstone when you factor in stops, food, and sightseeing.
>>
File: wildlife-brigade-1-771x467.jpg (118KB, 771x467px) Image search: [Google]
wildlife-brigade-1-771x467.jpg
118KB, 771x467px
>>900212
National Parks are "parks," not "wilderness." They are heavily managed, labeled, interpreted, restricted, permits required for everything, and so forth.

I grew up in California. We used to go camping at Juniper Lake in Lassen National Park. This was around 1968 or so. Dad chose that because it was a long dirt road to get in there, so it was less visited than places like Yosemite (I haven't been to that part of Lassen since about 1976). In the late 1970s I had a friend who spent a lot of time in Yosemite National Park, and we went there a few times. Just about every year we'd go there, drive past the entrance station after dark (no ranger to take any entrance fees) then we'd park in one of the lots, pack our sleeping bags up a trail a little ways (you needed reservations for a campsite even back then), sleep until daybreak, then day-hike up to the top of Half Dome, about an 18 mile round trip. That walk usually beat us up pretty good. So we'd chill by the river, wait for it to get dark, then drive out of the park after the fee-check station was closed. We could either camp outside the park or drive home about five hours or so.

Those were the days, I guess. If you want to hike to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite nowadays, you need to get a reservation SIX MONTHS in advance! I couldn't believe it when I heard that. Apparently if you get caught on that trail without paperwork you get a hefty fine.

Tl;dr, I rarely visit US National Parks anymore because they are extremely crowded. The second worst places are designated Wilderness Areas. Once you slap these labels on a place, everyone wants to visit them.

Pic related, Yellowstone National Park. Been there, done that, never again.
>>
>>901934

National Forest > National Parks for camping

You can pretty much do whatever in the national forests as long as you're not an asshat littering and staying in a spot for to long.
>>
>>901934
There's nothing on the east coast with anything remotely similar.

The "mountains" on the east coast barely reach 5000 feet. While on the west coast they're at 10,000-15,000 feet.

Yellowstone and Yosemite are about 1000 miles apart. You can't possibly visit both parks.

Focus on Northern California. Don't go all Europoor and show up in America thinking it's the same size as their tiny countries.
>>
>>900226

second this
NPs ddnt allow dogs

who the fuck thought this would be an acceptable rule?
>>
>>902107

Yellowstone is fantastic....IF you visit it during the shoulder seasons. October is the best, foliage is in full force, animals are more active as they are seeking food for the winter, there are a lot less people and those that are their are either young without kids or old and won't be on the better trails.

Even then, Yellowstone is a massive place, you just need to get away from all the shitty shitty shitty people.

There rest of what you said is spot on.
>>
>>902131
Me. If your fucking dog so much as approaches me, I'll fucking shoot it.
>>
>>902107
go to bed, gramps.
>>
>>901934
Better book your reservation now. Yosemite is amazing but so many people want to visit that it gets congested at peak season (July/August).

If you go don't start a campfire and be very careful with your stove.
>>
>>902153
Scared fuck. Don't act tough about the fact that you'd piss your pants around a family pet.
>>
File: gpa.jpg (1003KB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
gpa.jpg
1003KB, 2304x1728px
>>902071
>>902107
>>902120
>>902162
>confirmed for never walking more than a mile from a parking lot

yosemite is LITERALLY the size of rhode island. you can go peak season and within a half hour never see another person for the entire day.

that being said, yeah, the valley floor around the roads and on the paved trails is an utter shitshow from june-august and yeah, you do need reservations 6 months in advance if you plan on camping then. but get there early, leave late, spend the time in between finding the places 3,499,950/3,500,000 people never go and enjoy your solitude.
>>
>>900293
triggered
>>
>>902266
Rhode Island probably has less people than Yosemite during peak season.
>>
>>900293
Give South Dakota a -1, we deserve nothing! We are garbage!
>>
>>902330
You guys have like a palace made of corn though
>>
>>902345

And Wall Drug! That's a national shrine!
>>
East River is great. Excellent upland and waterfowl hunting, not to mention fishing. West river is comfy, but too many people.
>>
>>902071
>>902107
>>902120
>>902162
thanks for the advice, will be taken into serious consideration.

>>902126
>You can't possibly visit both parks.
ive got 2 months to kill, im sure i can get round to both. or am I wrong?
>>
I don't know what everyone is talking about in this thread - you can back country camp in pretty much any of the NPs that aren't mega tourist ones.
>>
Also, retards who think hunting should be allowed in NPs are retarded. Fishing is allowed in many of them.
>>
>>900212
I think Kansas is a little underrated. There are some nice woods in eastern Kansas and the Flint Hills can be absolutely beautiful. West of the hills is nothing though.
>>
File: 4L_ZK496vEa.jpg (57KB, 501x401px) Image search: [Google]
4L_ZK496vEa.jpg
57KB, 501x401px
>>901840
>Known for how many lakes it has
>Wisconsin has more
>>
>>902734
With 2 months you've got an abundance of time for both.
>>
>>901141
Do you live there?
>>
File: IMG_4611.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4611.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>902999
Yes. I took that pic. Right now there is a winter storm warning with snow and high winds but no snow just rain. I'm getting ready to go in the woods now.
>>
>>900293
PA deserves a bit better for the mountains and the Pine Barrens are real nice.
>>
>>902304
ha
>>
>>903062
Fucking lucky.. Question. How much does it cost you to live and how much is the property there?

Also how do you have the internet?
>>
>>903181
>How much does it cost you to live and how much is the property there?
It depends but we also get paid more and I order almost everything online that has free shipping. >>903181
>Also how do you have the internet?
Since we are relatively new to things like that we have it pretty good. Lots of fiber optic lines and high speeds, I have 1 gig down. Also we have it pretty good with cell coverage and speed almost all 4gLTE.
>>
>>901934
go to hetch hetchy instead. way less people, way more "out there," and imo way cooler than yosemite
>>
>>903191
Where do you live? (City) I would fucking move, I can easily live with that mate.

How about jobs? What type of employment is there?

I would like to buy a few acres and a nice log cabin or something similar to that.
>>
>>903194
I live in Juneau. We pretty much have any job you can think of from IT to a fisherman.
>>
>>903200
Fuck I just don't know what I would do, I have no particular skills.
>>
Isle Royale is tight as fuck. Not much regarding majestic mountains or gentle rolling plains, but undisturbed wilderness for miles and very few people even in the busy months is awesome. You have to take a ferry there so only those that plan on going there end up making the trip. Even fewer go deep into the island, where you're completely isolated if you want to be. Rangers aren't a big deal at all and are pretty chill so long as you aren't a dick. Been there three times and am going again in the summer
>>
>>903192
>hetch hetchy
just googled it, its still in Yosemite? im gonna guess yosemite has like 3-4 major tourist hubs then small places like hetch hetchy which have barely anyone around?
and is there camping there?
been given few different answers some people say you just walk off and camp, others say you need to book months in advance?
>>
>>900329
No public land. It's shit.
>>
File: clouds-yosemite2.jpg (190KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
clouds-yosemite2.jpg
190KB, 700x525px
>>903348
yeah, it's still in yosemite national park, but not in yosemite valley. the park itself is bigger than australian capital territory, while the valley is only about 5 square miles.

the valley is the most dramatic and iconic part of the park, but also the most crowded and developed.

next up in popularity are glacier point road (runs along the south rim of the valley, overlooking it-highlights are taft point, sentinel dome, and glacier point) and tioga road (goes to the high country, closed nov-may-highlights are tenaya lake, tuolumne meadows, and lembert dome).

hetch-hetchy is the next tier down in development and popularity, but the valley there is flooded with an artificial lake that you can't swim in or boat on.

living ~3 hours away and having been all over it dozens of times, i recommend you deal with the crowds and see yosemite valley at least 1 day. then branch out and start finding quieter parts of the park.

and i highly recommend reservations far in advance. rangers are aggressive about ticketing stealth campers, even well up trails and in the woods, and backcountry camping also requires a reservation and must be at least 4 miles from a trailhead.

additionally half dome requires a permit, limited to 100/day, reservable 6 months in advance via lottery, and they fill up fast for august. if you miss out do clouds rest. or better yet, do both.
>>
>>903192
>>903348
Hetch Hetchy is a separate valley from Yosemite, but it was flooded to supply the Bay Area with clean drinking water.
>>
>>901934
Death Valley
>>
Any here live in Idaho? Moving from california next month and looking for some good trails/info about the Boise area
>>
How is Missouri for /out/?
There seems to be a lot of forest in the south
>>
>>900293
This is a good map for freeloaders to decide where to /out/, it is based on the size and spectacle of federally owned lands open to the public.
>>
>>903637
Stop talking dumbass
>>
File: 100528.federal.land.jpg (414KB, 1434x932px) Image search: [Google]
100528.federal.land.jpg
414KB, 1434x932px
>>903637
>muh pretend objective ratings
skip the bullshit and go to the real fed land map, if that's what you want
>>
>>903630
ozarks are underrated according to people I know

>>903200
I'm a bartender/waiter, is that kind of stuff a thing outside of the summer?
>>
>>900293
>Massachusetts 2
I beg to differ.
>>
>>903709
>I'm a bartender/waiter, is that kind of stuff a thing outside of the summer?
Yes, but it really picks up in the summer.
>>
>>903471
Cheers for the advice mate, definetly helps
>>
>>901840
fuck off mud duck
>>
>>900212
North Cascade National Parks is the most underated park in the entire country.

So many little alpine lakes and beautiful glaciers. It's stunning. The best part is that no one ever goes there.

No one EVER goes to the park. No Chinese tourists to try and ruin the park like they did with California. It's pristine and untouched mountains are beautiful.
>>
>>901968
White Mountain National Forest
>>
>>900212
Big Bend NP isn't crowded because it's 5 hours from anything and it's huge. If you like to hike it's fuckin' amazing.

But if you like your NP's with a side of tourist trap (I'm looking at you, Acadia NP) don't bother.
>>
>>904585
There's a lot more to Acadia than Bar Harbor
>>
>>900212
Shit parks:
Cuyahoga Valley
Congaree
Hot Springs
Wolf Trap National Park For the Performing Arts

Probably stating the obvious here, though.
>>
>>904732
It's still not really worth the drive for most people. Only opportunities for day hikes and not much more.
>>
>>904963
It was worth it for me. Not nearly as remote as I had hoped, but the views are really spectacular
>>
>>903266
Southcentral here, just work on the slopes. You get a two weeks on two weeks off schedule that allows you to have some free time. Usually you live in anchorage and just fly up north to work.
>>
>>905006
>just work on the slopes
What?
>>
>>904732
I liked Acadia a lot once I got away from the massholes and crowds - which honestly wasn't that hard to do. But climbing the east face of Cadillac only to find busloads of fatasses and squawling kids was definitely a letdown.
>>
>>905014
I didn't even know you could drive up there until I got to the top. We had started hiking around 7am, so I was shocked to hear so much noise coming from the top when we got up there. Then I saw the fucking road
>>
>>902131
How can I pepper spray your unleashed mutt if they don't allow dogs on trails¿
>>
>>900308
what's in virginia outwise? I just moved here a few months ago in the Norfolk area and there doesnt seem to be shit here.

Where can I hike, where can I camp, where can I venture into open public lands when Im bored?
>>
well the smokies are pretty smokey at the moment
>>
File: 20160524_195143.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160524_195143.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
I visited Glacier when I was about 15 years old. It was pretty cool, we visited around July 4th and they had just opened Going to the Sun Road.

This may I went on a road trip from the Midwest to Utah to look at National Parks. On the second night we made it to Black Canyon of the Gunnison just before sunset which was awesome. We went on a hike and I don't remember the elevation being so exhausting compared to when I went backpacking in New Mexico.
The next day we visited Arches which was pretty busy in mid-May. We made it to Canyonlands southern portion which was underwhelming without a good hike. We camped on Bureau of Land Management lands just outside Canyonlands because it was full. The next day we went through Capitol Reef on the way to Bryce Canyon. The drive took a long time but had magnificent views. Some of the mountains reminded me of up North in Minnesota and it was even snowing a bit. We got lucky at Bryce Canyon and got a campsite in the park before they were full. Last day we went through Zion national park which was also very busy. We lucked out and didn't have to take the shuttles INTO the park which was a relief but the shuttle up to the Narrows wasn't bad at all.

We really wanted to visit the Grand Canyon so we're thinking of coming back in the spring sometime. Anyone have any recommendations on other neat places to visit out there? Also thinking of hitting Sequoia as a relative worked there for a summer out of high school but I'm not sure how much is open due to snow.
>>
>>905709
black canyon is dope. nuff said.
>>
>>900343
Great Smoky is over done now too
>>
File: 20160522_185818.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160522_185818.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>905714
I just realized it looks like I lost all of the pictures I took but about 20 from my phone SD card dying. ;_;
>>
>>900293
>Arkansas
>3
While it certainly isn't the best, the Ozark, Boston, and Ouachita Mountains, along with the Buffalo Wilderness Area are absolutely stunning. At least a 5 would be reasonable
>Arkansas is nothing but rednecks who screw their cousins
Leave
>>
>>904819
Congaree is cool.

None of the parks are "shit". People in this thread sound underage.
>>
Maybe I'm jaded because I've lived 5 minutes from it my whole life but Cuyahoga Valley national park is just a forest. You see people all the time. The most interesting thing to see are actually probably the man-made structures that cut through it.
>>
>>905828
Nah fuck em, the more people that dislike my state the better.
>>
>>902780
>Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes. Look at their license plates. But the state does not actually have 10,000 lakes. It has more. The official number is 11,842 lakes. So how about Wisconsin? Well, the Wisconsin department of natural resources claims that there are 15,074 lakes in Wisconsin. So Ha! But hold on. It turns out that the two states have different definitions of a lake. Minnesota's count includes only those that are all over ten acres and named. Wisconsin counts them even without a name and has no size limit. Wisconsin only has about 6,000 named lakes, even including those under ten acres. If Minnesota counted all lakes down to four acres without names, it is likely there would be over 20,000.

nice try though
>>
>>901934
If you're looking for pic related on the east coast, you won't find it. The east is very different, but sometimes in very good ways.

It's not tall barren snow covered mountains, but small hills and mountains that are completely forested. Places like the Adirondack park in New York state are a playground of outdoor activities, and they don't require a bush plane and 4 days of hiking to get to.

I love how people rate some states so highly because they're so remote, yet 99% of the people on this board don't possess the skill or desire to ever reach those remote areas.

In the Adirondacks you can drive to a wild area, launch your kayak or canoe, and paddle for a few days along canoe trails. You can dispersed camp in the wilderness, paddle to a town and grab a beer, or just fish and tool around. It's very accessible.

I completely agree a place like Alaska is more /out/, but for most people real wilderness is not very easy to access, it's not easy to experience. There's lots of places in the USA that are easy to enjoy.

National parks will offer amazing views, but you'll be sharing that view with a few thousand other people. Seeing the grand Canyon is jaw dropping, but once you've seen the view, it's just miles and miles of orange. Every time I've been there I miss seeing green.

Sometimes state parks are almost as nice as national parks too.
>>
>>905937
Didn't think about it that way...
Now I completely agree with you
>>
>>900212
Can anyone recommend some places in Massachusetts to camp for a weekend? Not looking for too much; just a simple spot with a few friends and dogs to chill for a weekend in tents and do some fishing. Also, how is Mass when it comes to fishing and having a fishing license? Do you need one or does it depend on where you do it that matters?
>>
Alaska sucks, stay sway from here
>>
>>906955
Not now but in the summer I love camping on the cape. Otherwise just drive to nh - it's close enough and way better there
>>
>>906018
yea I dont think ill be visiting the east coast. going to stick to west and central USA (im also visiting friends and that's where they live)

im more than happy to but a bag and tent and a few supplies and just go walking for a day or two in a forest or NP.

Ideal situation would be hiking for a day or two, and finally stopping somewhere away from plebs where you have enough room to camp and get wicked views.

im aware the big national parks are gonna have viewing points where you get the great views and all the tour busses dump chinks off to take photos, id probably start there, get a few photos then start walking into it all for a day or two. camp in a good spot for a night (if we can find one) then go back.

how big of a problem are bears? I get the feeling I wouldnt see one no matter how hard I try to look/ attract one. then I also get the feeling id get attacked in my sleep.
>>
>>907179
In Yellowstone/Grand Teton or Glacier you will definitely see bears, though probably at a distance. I'm not sure about other places.

You need to get a bear bag if you're hiking and camping basically anywhere. If you're using campgrounds at NP or NF they'll have regulations to follow for food storage and you're very unlikely to encounter bears since the Rangers make a point of keeping them away from campgrounds.
>>
File: DriftlessFall.jpg (605KB, 2100x1400px) Image search: [Google]
DriftlessFall.jpg
605KB, 2100x1400px
Wisconsinfag here.

Many people think we're just a flat state with nothing but cornfields, but we actually have 4 different eco-systems that all have different landscape. They are
>Eastern lowlands ridges
This is where all of the cities and civilization is. This is mostly on the lake, so there are some rock bluffs, and the niagra escaprement. We also have a few caves along the lakeshore. There are a lot of wetlands, and subtle 1,000 foot hills here and there. A lot of the good /out/ stuff is northeast ridge area up near the door peninsula. All kinds of crazy shit up there.
>Western Uplands
This is called "The Driftless Region". It's gorgeous. It's like 50 miles of Appalachia was randomly dropped in Wisconsin. It's a big stretch of 2,000 foot hills in between narrow valleys. The highways wrap around the hills and valleys so it feels like a roller coaster as you ascend and descend every 2 miles. Has rattle snakes, amish people, and huge bluffs. Barely any towns with more than 1,000 people. Many decent /out/ spots spread out, a lot of it is organic farm land though.
>Highlands
Nothing but untouched wilderness up north. Just a gigantic national forest that stretches from Wisconsin up to Michigan. The elevation goes from 200 feet to 1,000 feet consistently. Vast thick pine forests and countless lakes/gorges. You can go exploring out here and discover all kinds of interesting things out in the woods. You can also die and nobody will ever find you. Usually you won't hardly see a single person up here.
>Midland Plains
Where all the serial killers are from. Not much here, just some wetlands for hunting.
>Northern Uplands
Haven't been here, but this is the area where the islands on lake superior are.

Overall I'd probably give Wisconsin a 6. It would have a higher score if it wasn't matched up against the breathtaking mountains of the West. The only thing Wisconsin has over the west is forest diversity and lake michigan.

Pic related: Driftless Region in fall
>>
>>907172
NH++
>>
>>903536
Just move here a few months ago from GA. Gonna be chilly when you get here, but literally drive anywhere north of Boise and you are in National Forest. Really chill town, good downtown but nothing crazy. Good food, good bars, good cost of living. Almost zero traffic and crime. 4 true seasons. I underestimated how much I would miss my friends, family, and pets, but other than that it's pretty great out here. Gonna be snowing all of this week, went out today and cruised around enjoying the empty roads and some backwoods action. Chilly though, didn't hike for long.

What brings you out here? I just got done traveling the country the last year and visited 28 NPs which is why I was in this thread. Didn't wanna go back south and deal with crime and traffic so I just kinda stayed out here.

The Snake River down south by Swan Falls Dam and throughout the Birds of Prey Conservation Area is a lotta fun. The Snake is beautiful.
>>
>>903630
Missouri is very nice for /out/, lived here for years. The northern half of the state is basically Iowa, but there are still some decent parks up there. The Missouri Department of Conservation is great and pretty much everything is free, apart from campsite fees.

The southern half of the state is full of national forest, wilderness areas, and state parks. Some of the state parks are huge, and most are lightly traveled.

I'm continually finding new parks and trails, even within an hour of St. Louis. The Ozarks aren't really mountains, per se, but they're interesting because they're old as fuck. They're basically the cores of ancient mountains, worn down to nubs. The whole region has a sort of frozen in time feeling once you're out in the woods. Tons of caves and bluffs, too.

NEVER enter private property in the Ozarks, though. People live down there because they want to be left alone, usually not for any "normal" reason. It's not exactly "Deliverance," but they probably wouldn't bother calling the cops on you, if you get my point.
>>
>>903536
>it's a commiefornian gets sick of his shithole and tries to turn another state into one episode
>>
>>908136
Grew up a little East of Springfield, Mo and can vouch for this. The Ozarks is a dissected plateau in the southern half of Missouri and the northern half of Arkansas and it's really beautiful. Rocks, trees and pseudo mountainous terrain everywhere. It's also redneck/hillbilly central down there, so like he said, unless you have permission I'd stay off private land. With that being said there's a shit-ton of national forest area and wilderness areas in them. Would recommend southern half. Everything North of Jefferson city is basically cornfields and shit.
>>
>>902131
Think about how irresponsible most dog owners are. If any asshole could take their dumb, untrained dog into the wilderness they would piss off all of the animals and humans
>>
>>900293
How the fuck is South Carolina a 3? I can't even imagine it being a 1.
>>
>>900212
>Which ones are underrated?
Acadia. It's God-tier comfy.
>>
>>900343
>Great Smokey
It can't be overrated if it isn't rated high. It's always been considered a meh park.

>Grand Teton
You've fucking lost it if you think it's overrated. It's well-loved for a reason. It's fucking amazing. It doesn't matter how many rich tourists are there. It doesn't take away from the fact that it's great.
>>
>>901840
>getting excited about 5 vs 4
That's like winning a spelling bee in the special needs class.
>>
File: Dsc_5038d7000sm4.jpg (62KB, 700x347px) Image search: [Google]
Dsc_5038d7000sm4.jpg
62KB, 700x347px
>>900212
Rocky Mountain National Park is underrated for having a metric shit ton of great wilderness area. It may not be the biggest park, but it sits in a nice sweet spot where it's nice enough to hold its own against the big parks, but it's not quite as well known as the bigger ones so it's not quite as crowded. Bonus: It's easy as fuck to get to. A lot of the great parks (like Yellow Stone or Yosemete) are out in the middle of fucking nowhere. They're great, but you've got to spend half of your day driving (unless you're staying at one of the overpriced resorts in the parks). But for RMNP, you can stay in tons of great little towns nearby and easily get in. Estes Park, CO, it's a fucking /out/ dream of a town. It's literally overrun with elk. They just own the place and walk about the town casually.
>>
>>903706
>live in georgia
>about two miles from chattahoochee river
>the shore of the river is managed by federal park service for a couple of miles

I've never understood why we've got that bizarre little bit of federal park service land here.
>>
>>902734
>ive got 2 months to kill, im sure i can get round to both. or am I wrong?
You've got time if you're going to be here that long, but it really does take a helluva lot longer to get between them than most people think. Unless you're just a glutton for sitting in the car and driving through fucking nothingness, then I honestly can't even imagine driving. The absolute fastest you can do it is about 2 days, but that's driving non-stop and driving on interstates the entire way. Interstates are fast, but they're not scenic. It's just nothingness through nothing areas. If you can afford it, I'd spend more time in each park and just fly in between them.
>>
>>909169
Where in? You're not referring to Gold Branch are you? Just moved from metro-atlanta area.
>>
>>909169
>https://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
>The river has a reputation for less than healthy water quality. Although the water quality of the river has improved it still has its bad days. Take a quick look and you can understand why. When visitors see trash floating down the river and piling up behind a log jam they become concerned about the beauty lost. But when their nose catches some of the aromas along the river they really become concerned. Just what's in the water that can't seen? Visit the BacteriAlert website to find out how safe is it to swim, wade, and boat in the Chattahoochee River today.

what's there to be confused by? it sounds magnificent.
>>
>>909250
No, it's weird. From roughly Johnson Ferry Road at the Fulton/Cobb line up through Riverside Park in between Sandy Springs and Roswell is all actually federal land managed by the federal park service. It's not national forest land, and it's obviously not a park of any park, but it's managed by the federal park service.
>>
>>909280
Whew lad you're from right near where I was raised. I lived by the East Cobb Avenue hah. I know where you're talking about though. I miss the hooch. Used to kayak and fuck around and fish on it all the time.
>>
>>902107

Go to Yellowstone and just pull over randomly on the side of the road and look hard and point into a field.
>>
>>900293
Yep. Louisiana sucks.
Totally.
Don't come here.
shhhhh
Don't ask any questions and also don't look into it. Not worth it.
>>
>>902126
East coast mountain ranges are much older and have been heavily eroded as a result. They're still beautiful and worth going to imo.
>>
>>900212
Just got back from a tour of the country and went to 16 NPs. Here's my entirely subjective, very influenced by contingency and nostalgia tier list:

1. King's Canyon (Zumwalt meadow baby)
2. Yellowstone (for the wildlife)
3. Badlands (woke up next to our first buffalo, breathtaking scenery)
4. Grand Teton
5. Zion
6. Yosemite
7. Death Valley
8. Carlsbad Caverns
9. Olympic (there was shit weather)
10. Everglades
11. GSNP
12. Congaree
13. Wind Cave
14. Mammoth Cave
15. Redwoods
16. Guadalupe Mountains
>>
>>909744
This list makes me remember how many great national arks there are. You didn't even get to Acadia or RMNP
>>
>>900212
Oh boy, it's another "let's make assumptions about places we'very never been too" thread.
>>
>>909927
I know, right? We missed some obvious ones- Sequoia, Bryce Canyon, Crater Lake, etc.

I can't wait to see Acadia or Isle Royale.
>>
File: MichiganPublicLand.png (191KB, 685x760px) Image search: [Google]
MichiganPublicLand.png
191KB, 685x760px
>>900293
Good bait making Wisconsin better than Michigan or Minnesota.
>>
>>909744
I really liked Guadalupe Mountains, sure it's small but it's a neat little area. Great weather in the spring.
>>
Is it just me or is Florida a pretty shit /out/ state?
>>
File: 1481294279602.jpg (22KB, 397x398px) Image search: [Google]
1481294279602.jpg
22KB, 397x398px
>>913630
Yeah, it's marshes and lowlands.
>>
>>913633
Sucks to be here mate, can't wait till I can move somewhere else.
>>
>>908036
Thanks for the info. Just got here a day before the snow hit. Loving it so far, I have somewhat of a specialized job so once I got an offer out of state I jumped on it.
>>
>>900351
That's the 4chan I know and love!
>>
>>900293
Is there one for Canada? That would be nice.
>>
shittiest national park is the everglades

you can't even fucking do anything, it's a swamp and everything there from the grass to the alligators are sharp and will cut the shit out of you
>>
>>913857
Nice dude, glad you're enjoying it. You have a throwaway e-mail or Kik or anything? Could tell you a few trails or places to hit up and idk how I feel about an /out/ meetup, but maybe?
>>
>>900293
This is one of the least accurate rating shits I've ever seen.
>>
>>900329
"If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell." - Philip Sheridan
>>
>>905897
Toothless South Carolina moonshiner detected.

>Congaree is cool.
Yes, it's "cool". It would make a great county or state park. For it to be a National Park is preposterous.
>>
>>913633
You left out "pavement". It's predominantly pavement at this point.
>>
>>900212
(based on where I've personally been)

Crater Lake is amazing. Underrated, great view.
Redwoods are also cool but get boring fast after hiking for a bit.
Smoky Mountains are nice. Comfy and relaxing.
Yellowstone is overrated and pretty dull.
>>
>>905656
I live in Norfolk too. Good hiking is at least 3 1/2 hours away (Shenandoah). I do it in day hikes sometimes, sometimes take a weekend.

In the area, false cape sp is pretty cool. Better on a bike. Kiptopeke on the eastern shore is nice too
>>
>>917036
If you're willing to go a little farther east there's lots of other good shit in VA. One awesome National Forest spot is St Marys. It's got abandoned mining equipment, weird swamps, and an epic swimming hole with a high ledge that you can jump from if you have the balls
>>
>>917020
>Yellowstone
>pretty dull

I hate this fucking board.
>>
>>916502
National Parks aren't just about le ebin views you stupid kid, they're about land preservation.
>>
ITT little faggots who think whatever half mile hike to a mountain viewpoint is the only thing of value in a park
>>
>>917065
Looks cool great rec
>>
>>900293
Cold weatherfags need to be genocided
>>
>>917115
No they're not, they're about:

"I done got me one of them little ol' national parks right here in good ol' South Carolina and I sure would like your little ol' vote." - Robert E. L. Mudwhacker, R-SC.

That's why there's a national park in Akron, OH.
>>
>>917599
t. little kid who doesn't understand conservation
>>
>>917630
There are about 26,000 protected areas comprising 500,000 square miles in the U.S., with about 81,000 square miles in the 59 National Parks. There are Natural Preserves, National Forests, National Wildlife Refuges, National Seashores, National Grasslands, etc. etc. So as you can see, there are other ways of preventing the local backy-chewin' sister fuckers from logging off a somewhat interesting grove of cypresses besides naming it a National Park.

The National Park idea is to preserve the most magnificent and spectacular landscapes, and although I agree it was a good idea for the federal government to tell Goodyear and Firestone they had to stop setting the Cuyahoga River on fire, they had plenty of other ways to accomplish this without giving this completely unimpressive swath of the rust belt the same designation as the goddamn Grand Canyon. Cuyahoga Valley and Congaree and Mammoth Cave and Hot Springs are lame as shit and DO NOT merit the same designation as Yosemite and Yellowstone and Grand Canyon.
>>
>>917639
>The National Park idea is to preserve the most magnificent and spectacular landscapes

Wrong. And "spectacular and magnificent" only = le ebin mountains to plebs.
>>
>>917639
>Cuyahoga Valley and Congaree and Mammoth Cave and Hot Springs are lame as shit

Holy fuck stop trying this hard. They're all great places to visit.
>>
>>917673

National Parks are chosen by congress because of the natural or cultural/historical contribution to the American landscape and character is so great that it transcends state boundaries and needs to be protected on a national, federal level.

They do not have to be landscapes, though those are the easiest to promote, and the value is easy to assess for even the most lamebrained garbage congressman to see.
>>
>>917639
I've been to several NPs and i really enjoyed Cuyahoga. Biked along the towpath, took some side hikes to waterfalls, hit a brewery in Akron then took the train back up for $2. Fun day /out/. It's not Yosemite, but it's got some very pretty scenery and historical buildings.

Interested to know what about your experience there was disappointing. What time of year did you go?
>>
>>917176
Enjoy your bugs and humidity, Floridacuck
>>
>>900226
>the parks are trashed
>go to the forests where the cartel sends their armed pot growers
Ok Pablo
>>
>>905935
there are some cool little parks within it, like virginia-kendall ledges and the south chgrin river reservation, but yeah it's pretty much just 2nd or third growth forest
>>
>>901934
zion nat'l park is pretty top tier
>>
>>917065
>>917119
I went. It was cool. River was flowing pretty strong, finding ways across it was really fun. The abandoned mine equipment was awesome to climb around on. Lots of fog on the mountain.

Sorry I had to bump this shitty thread to follow up.
>>
>>900212
what do you guys think of wayne national forest?

I live in north ohio and its the best option for me right now
>>
File: Onondaga Cave.jpg (75KB, 740x460px) Image search: [Google]
Onondaga Cave.jpg
75KB, 740x460px
>>900293
>Missouri
>3
Well that's where you're wrong, nigger.
>>
>>903436
This
>>
Stanislaus NF in California. Kicking back by the fire on a white sand beach in the pines is fucking amazing.
>>
>>901934
If you're going to Cali stay the fuck out of Sac and Redding.

If you have a girly, though, drive down Highway 1 and find a Bed and Breakfast. They're mostly run by older retirees who lucked out in the 70's and got a dream home in a seaside village. Comfy shit, bro.
>>
>>919815
>if you have a girly
D-delete this ;_;
>>
File: 75f.jpg (48KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
75f.jpg
48KB, 500x362px
>>919819
Get one, then. Most grills in CA only want a relationship for a week, anyway.
>>
>>905656
In Norfolk you're kinda fucked. Get to the west or southwest of the state and it's an /out goldmine. Shenandoah national park, tons of national forests. Eastern half of West Virginia is the same way.
>>
>>918203
Hence why we need more gun rights. Free open carry of full auto.
>>
>>919781
Can a cave really be considered /out/? When you are in a cave it is very much /in/. Not arguing, just thinking.
>>
>>900293
>michigan 4

someone hasnt checked out the UP
>>
Are the new National Monument's worth visiting?
>>
>>900212
Washington is very overrated.
Go to Montana or Alaska.

I mean if you like hipsters/hippies all over the place.
I had more fun in Roosevelt National Park in nowhere North Dakota then I did anywhere in Washington.
>>
>>921612
Yeah that's a shame cause Olympic and North Cascades both look God tier otherwise
>>
>>921612
agreed
the only interesting place there are the scablands
Thread posts: 183
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.