[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like to be /out/ but I have a pretty intense fear o

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Ixodes_scapularis.jpg (41KB, 700x451px) Image search: [Google]
Ixodes_scapularis.jpg
41KB, 700x451px
I'd like to be /out/ but I have a pretty intense fear of ticks, not because of the ticks themselves, but because the extremely nasty diseases they can carry. I live near to a couple national forests but every time I think, "It would be nice to go camping", I think, "Yeah, but is it worth risking being sick for the rest of your life because you caught lyme disease?"

I read shit like
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease#Prognosis
>A meta-analysis published in 2005 found some patients with Lyme disease have fatigue, joint or muscle pain, and neurocognitive symptoms persisting for years, despite antibiotic treatment. Patients with late stage Lyme disease have been shown to experience a level of physical disability equivalent to that seen in congestive heart failure.

And it makes me want to never go outside again. Am I overreacting?
>>
>>899635
I think you're overreacting a bit. There's a bunch of precautions you can take to avoid getting ticks, and it's not very likely you'll get Lyme.
I live in Florida and I hear people thinking similar thoughts with mosquitos and Zika. Yea it would suck if it happened but chances are you'll be fine.
>>
Stop being a pussy
>>
Yes you are overreacting

Unless you live in Vermont
>>
>>899635
take preventative measures, then search yourself / have personal hygiene
>>
>not wearing flea and tick collars on your ankles

You fucking retards don't even try..
>>
>>899638
The thing with mosquitos and zika is that if they don't get infected, people don't. And the Aedes really likes human constructions since puddles on concrete/old tires/trash are the perfect place for them to lay eggs.

I live in Rio de Janeiro (HUEBrazil) and the particular part of the city where I live hasn't had a single case of Zika or even Dengue. Every single day I see the stripped flying motherfuckers effectively biting me and I've never gotten it either.
The part I live in is pretty much like some parts of Florida in terms of environment (swamp areas, dense patches of subtropical jungle, rivers, etc) and for some reason they didn't thrive as well here. On the other hand, my friend who lives in downtown Rio got dengue twice, and her brother diagnosed with zika last week.
>>
>>899983
What the fuck anon god damnit
>>
>>899983
>dengue twice
More importantly, did you fuck her and will you post pic?
>>
Wear one of these
>>
>>899635
You're definitely overreacting. I've been bitten by several ticks and I've gotten Lyme disease once. You'd have to be an idiot to let it go to late stage. Seriously, it's glaringly obvious that you need to see a doctor when you get it.

As for the persistent pain and fatigue, that's extremely mild I'm most cases. I have a persistent pain that intermittently returns in the place where I was bitten. It's nothing serious but feels like a dull thorn stuck in that spot. It goes away very quickly and it's quite rare. Doc says it's the most normal long term side effect but it's pretty rare.

In conclusion, you're worried about something that has a tiny chance of happening and only causes problems if you're an idiot of biblical proportions. Ditch the fear, go /out/.
>>
>>900167
>I'm most cases
*in most cases
I need to start proofreading.
>>
>>900167
>You'd have to be an idiot to let it go to late stage. Seriously, it's glaringly obvious that you need to see a doctor when you get it.

because of the bullseye or for other factors?

Apparently the bullseye only appears in 2/3 of cases, so other than the flu symptoms (which could be anything) I think theoretically it could be possible to let it slip by.

I've been bitten several times and always in the corner of my mind is a ''what if'' scenario - I'm a bit of a hypercondriac tho' and sometimes get paranoid about lung cancer and brain tumours, but I'm not a colossal faggot like OP and it doesn't stop me from going inna
>>
>>900170
Because of other factors. Keep in mind that flu like symptoms are quite severe. A lot of people think that the common cold and the flu are the same thing, they aren't.

My younger brother was a hypochondriac when he was a teenager. He grew out of it through exposure. He fractured his arm on a frozen stream once. I pulled him up the bank by his arm because nobody believed his whinging. Not even the doctor. Three weeks later we caved and finally got it x-rayed. It had to be rebook en. The boy who cried wolf comes to mind.
>>
>>900180
>rebook en
*Rebroken
God damn I hate android autocorrect.
>>
>>899635
It's nothing, I live in New Hampshire and the ticks and Lyme disease rates are crazy high but just flick them off
>>
>>900422
Wear pants and check for ticks once and awhile.
>>
>>899635
I can tell you from experience not to worry. I have had a lot of ticks on me but only two I didn't feel until it started digging into me. I can't tell you if it's normal to feel them crawling on you but I have typically been able to know when to check by that feeling of your hairs tingling or moving.

One I didn't feel was the bad one here in the Northwest. The Pacific deer dick. Statistically it's not what you want to get a bite from. Those bastards are the ones to worry about for Lyme. I think it was a male from its smaller size and lack of any black. I found out I react to the bite sight. Tick paralyse sounds scary but all it is, is swelling of the bite sight and it can produce a tiny half added bullseye. The tick was removed approximately 45 minutes to an hour of when it probably started working on me and I removed it without killing it so that was great news. You want to verify it still moves when you remove one. This means the head isn't in you. The head can be in you if the body is removed fast after the bite and not get Lyme but you have a tick head in you that has to break down and in theory it could give harbor other crap. So I was swollen from the bite and it took the red spot a week to go away and no Lyme.

The second one I didn't catch until way too late but I was lucky it was having on rather than digging it. It was near my arm pit under my arm. It was a dog tick or a wood tick or in the Midwest probably related to a lone Star. They are big and easy to get off cause you can see the head quite well.

If you know your in deer tick territory use a buddy to look each other over and lol...you will probably freak when I say this but always check your balls when you feel a tingle. Ball hairs are like motion alarms for ticks. Yup...I went there. Yes, I once had a close call.

Don't worry that much. Be smart and don't ignore strange tingles on your body. Enjoy the great outdoors. Lol
>>
>>900454
Sorry for the grammar guys, auto correct on the phone.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.