[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm moving to Los Angeles this winter for a job, from small

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (250KB, 766x894px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250KB, 766x894px
I'm moving to Los Angeles this winter for a job, from small town Appalachia. Is there anywhere to go /out/ relatively near the city that won't have a million people on the weekends?

I enjoy birding, plant ID, hiking, camping, etc, and I'm kinda scared that my /out/ days will be over...please reassure me...
>>
>>896688
Start hiking storm drains. Like spelunking.
>>
Rip
>>
I found myself in the same situation a few years back. There are a ton of cool places that are utterly ruined by folks from LA. It got to the point where I would wait until the weather was shitty and then go out. It kept all the riff raff away.

Big Bear, Johnson Valley, Joshua Tree, Cox Truck Trail / Hot Springs all all good example. Shit, you can even find stuff in the Cajon Pass.
>>
>>896720
Yeah, I don't really mind crowds if I'm just hiking, but I like to take my time and having a bunch of people on trail is frustrating then. I hate to put it that way because it's public land so it's not like I have any more right to it than them, but still. And I like to be pretty isolated camping if possible.

I'm kind of spoiled here because I'm right next to a few big National Forests and state parks where hardly anyone goes, even on weekends.
>>
>>896720
I will say though I'm excited about the birding - will be nice to be near coast and mountains and desert habitats at the same time. And Joshua Tree and the other nearby NPs look cool.
>>
>>896688
God I love that picture.
>>
>>896720
>Joshua Tree

known skinwalker alley

trying to lure out anons are you ?
>>
File: 4.jpg (22KB, 665x340px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
22KB, 665x340px
>>896878
God damnit, don't blow my cover.

Hail HYDRA.
>>
>>896688
There are lots of less used trails on some of the more popular mountains where you'd be unlikely to see anyone.
>>
>>897504
Yeah this. Mt Baldy via Bear Canyon or via Blue Ridge/North Backbone. Mt. San Jacinto via Marion Mountain or C2C. San Gorgonio from Momyer.

Also some of the steeper peaks aren't very busy. Iron Mountain from Heaton Flat (or any route), Rattlesnake Peak.

Probably the busiest trail in the San Gabriels is Icehouse Canyon to Icehouse Saddle. I have counted 50+ people hanging out at the Saddle at one time - probably hundreds in total passed that day. Avoid that.
>>
>>896878

shit. I was planning to go there this spring. I guess I'll sleep in the truck.
>>
>>896688
It's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Yeah it sucks that you need a permit, but they're relatively cheap and not having one will probably only get you a stern talking to. As for crowds, don't try and do a popular trail on a holiday and you'll mostly be on your own.

>>897623
>Mt Baldy via Bear Canyon or via Blue Ridge/North Backbone.
>San Gorgonio from Momyer.
How are these trails?
As a kid in scouts I did Baldy via the ski lifts and attempted San Gorgonio via Dollar lake a few times* but I haven't been back to either as an adult. I did Marion Mountain trail up San Jacinto a couple months back and found it to be around my preferred length/difficulty.

*Never made it to the top. Was foiled by in order:
- Too much snow
- Everyone else wanting to play in the lake
- The lake being dry and everyone else being too dumb to have planned ahead to account for this necessitating that we spend most of the day hiking in the opposite direction in search of a spring.

>San Jacinto via C2C.
While I've never done this route, the second half is the same as the route from the top of the Tramway which can get somewhat crowded.
>>
>>897633
I'll still find you, friend.
>>
>>897854
>>Mt Baldy via Bear Canyon or via Blue Ridge/North Backbone.
>>San Gorgonio from Momyer.
>How are these trails?

Baldy from Bear Canyon is fine, starts out in the trees and pops out to some nice exposed areas. I mostly use it as a training hike because it's easy to get to, my PR is 5.5 hours car to car. From Blue Ridge it's awesome. My favorite trail in the entire range. You go over Pine mountain up a knife edge and emerge on Baldy from the back side, and people are like where the hell did you come from? The whole route has awesome views because it covers so much distance. San G from Momyer I don't remember much, other than it was a pretty long slog.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.