[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /out/!! I am currently looking for a survival/hiking a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13

File: 71WDJfk+D3L._SL1500_.jpg (80KB, 1500x1228px) Image search: [Google]
71WDJfk+D3L._SL1500_.jpg
80KB, 1500x1228px
Hello /out/!! I am currently looking for a survival/hiking axe that I can store in my bug out bag when I am not out hiking. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I want some quality. What do you all use and why if you don't mind me asking. Thanks!!

btw, pic is related link below. I am leaning towards this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BNQR4SG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
>>
I own that axe. It rules

I was considering replacing for a lighter unit for backpacking but unless you want a fag-tier folding one for like $80+, you cant get anything significantly lighter

its all preference I'm sure a modern 20$ coleman cheapo can fucking chop up wood just the same as my eastwing
>>
>>895510
Hello Anon!
Thanks for the reply. I typically bring my ka-bar with my whilst hiking, but recently I have been introduced into the realm of axes and their capabilities. The Estwing axe seems very well made, from what I understand it is one solid piece which is crucial for me. I think at this point I'd rather spend the extra $13 or so for more quality. Thanks again for the reply
>>
>>895510
OP again, meant to ask, have you ever used the rear side to punch in tent spikes? I usually have a mallet with me, but just wondering if you think it would suffice?
>>
>>895514
Estwing is good. You can hammer with any part of it. If you manage to break it somehow youre probably retarded or something. I know people like to do research first but cmon man axes are not rocket science
>>
>>895508
I got that Estwing at Home Depot for like $20.

34 plus shipping is too much.
>>
>>895585
Everyone in my area it costs the same amount on Amazon. $34 is the going rate it seems in So. Cali.

>>895580
hahah, very true anon. Thanks.
>>
I stay away from all-in-one builds. The reverb from the head will travel all the way down the steel shaft and kill your hands after more than light workload. Wood grips defuse the reverb and are generally thought of as better. Good cheap alternative would be a Husqvarna, similar price and probably better quality.
>>
File: 1359134758238.png (56KB, 1126x634px) Image search: [Google]
1359134758238.png
56KB, 1126x634px
My impression of Estwing is that it's meme-tier "Unbreakable, All-American, What My Grandpappy Had"-shit. For their hammers, supposedly the metal+leather handle allows vibrations to propagate through it something ridiculous which will fuck your arm/hand in the end and the fact that it's lacquered will probably give you blisters. Dunno if the same applies to axes but I'd guess so.

Get mad, amerimutts.
>>
>>895594
>My impression
I find none of this to be a problem. Y'all are making way too much of the effects of a full-tang steel handle. I've felled trees with my little 14" Estwing and not had blisters or rattled armbones (was wearing work gloves of course). It's a really great tool and it's a joy to use. The fact that it's only like $20 and I'm not siphoning money to Chiner by buying it are additional pluses.

Also, quit being a stupid faggot.
>>
>>895593
>>895594
Thanks for the input. Do you own a Husqvarna?
>>
>>895619

No, but I'll shill for them. http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/axes/hatchet/576926401/
You can find nearby dealers marked on the map there.

Other prominent axe manufacturers include Wetterlings, Hults Bruk, Hultafors and of course Gränsfors Bruk which everyone fetishizes. Curiously they're all swedish. There's also Fiskars which is Finnish but they only have tacticool axes with composite handles which I am not so sure about.

Avoid lacquered handles or sand and refinish them with linseed oil yourself. Be aware of the difference between the cheek thickness and grind on a carpenter's axe compared to a regular hatchet. Other than that though as someone said it's not rocket science.
>>
>>895637
Hey, wow thanks for the reply, very informative. Much appreciated!!
>>
File: BetterThanAnAxe.gif (1MB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
BetterThanAnAxe.gif
1MB, 400x400px
Reminder that only faggots and LARPers use axes nowdays.
>>
>>895590
Then buy local and support your economy.
>>
File: Vipukirves_d_jpg.jpg (36KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
Vipukirves_d_jpg.jpg
36KB, 320x480px
>>895652

That + mallet is way heavier than an axe and it can't fell trees, can't split logs, can't debranch, can't hew, can't drive wedges, can't decapitate niggers. I think I'll pass.

Overall, whenever some new gimmick is thought up and marketed as revolutionizing something, be suspicious and think things through. Unless you're dealing with an all-new material allowing for a different way to do things, history tends to be the best guide. And the axe has a solid history.

Another piece of insight is that Kickstarter and the Home shopping network is 99% garbage with saccharine, ukulele-driven marketing aimed at the naive lowest third on the intelligence spectrum and those without practical experience. Women and hipsters if you will.
>>
>>895663

A lot of ppl are retarded, should not be allowed to use an axe. First time my brother used one, faggot missed the wood and cut into his leg. Rather have him carry extra weight, than to fuck himself up.

If any thing, this is some thing I'd keep in the backyard, use it for bonfire parties were every one is getting drunk or high.
>>
File: 1479062236055.jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479062236055.jpg
18KB, 600x600px
>>895727
>some people are retarded so nobody should use axes.
>>
>>895878
Hey, this topic changed last I saw it. Not sure how using an axe makes someone retarded unless that someone was born that way or something caused it.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears! I'll be browsing on and off here at work.

Thanks again everyone for your input
>>
>>895508
i would just go to a flea market and pick up an old hatchet head for ~$5. good steel and cheep.

little tip: You can get an idea of how good the old steel is by how thin the blade is.
>>
>>895968

You do NEED to spend $80 for a fucking hatchet or maybe hundreds for forged snake oil to get enough satisfaction to justify your purchase though.
>>
File: samekniv.jpg (19KB, 531x174px) Image search: [Google]
samekniv.jpg
19KB, 531x174px
>>895637
>Curiously they're all swedish
Scandinavian here, it might have something to do with the fact that /out/ is a huge part of Scandinavian culture, to the point where it's enshrined as a right in our laws.

Personally, I use pic related for all things others would use an axe but felling a tree can be a problem depending on size. The thick steel and long blade give it the heft needed to do pretty much everything else though.
>>
File: IMG_20161119_075313.jpg (386KB, 1779x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161119_075313.jpg
386KB, 1779x760px
>>895508
I love mine, I've had it for almost 10 years. It's never given me a single issue. The overall balance and feel is great, IMO.
>>
>>896645
>first oc
>actual patina

Thank you,anon.
>>
>>896664
No problem, let me know if you have any questions. You can't beat the price and quality.
>>
>>896664
Also, hail Satan
>>
>>896940
He got singles you newfag
>>
>>896945
go back to /b/
>>
>>895510
I had one of the Coleman axes, it was fucking garbage and couldn't chop more than small branches of softwood. The sheath the Coleman came with fell apart within a day or two. Replaced it with the Estwing, much better quality.
>>
File: baton5.jpg (300KB, 504x600px) Image search: [Google]
baton5.jpg
300KB, 504x600px
You don't need a axe when /out/ just use your knife and a log, it works just as well and is much lighter than carrying a knife and a heavy axe.
>>
>>895508
Bought this axe on an impulse at ace hardware. Surprised to see it on out
>>
File: batonfail.jpg (236KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
batonfail.jpg
236KB, 1024x768px
>>896986
while batoning is definitely useful it can completely destroy your knife like pic related. i would rather just carry the small amount of extra weight and not have to worry about my knife possibly breaking
>>
Hello everyone! Thanks for the replies! I ended up picking an axe, I'm waiting for it to come in still. Thanks again!
>>
>>897620

well don't leave us hanging, what'd you get?
>>
>>895663
its a wedge on a stick!!
an axe is a sharpened knife on a stick
a hammer is a rock/brick of metal on a stick

knowledge, technique, skill, and TIME are the main ingredients in a good ____________.

The pic is good if you have LOTS of wood ALL YEAR LONG, and can't afford/transport all that gas for a chain saw, oil, maintenance materials, time, and such.

Its like taking a jack hammer into the woods to break up a small boulder when a solid wedge and sledge hammer will do and weight/cost A-LOT less.
>>
>>897372
It's the kitties titties. I love it.
>>
>>897634
I ended up with the Husqvarna hatchet. The original axe I was looking at is at my local ACE Hardware and I'll probably buy it just for the hell of it too! I picked the Husqvarna because it is not one solid peice and I don't want to deal with the vibrations as some have mentioned, be it true or not.. LOL. I'll check back here though, thanks again folks!
>>
>>896007
the sami are generally very /out/
dried reindeer meat is a good trail snack
>>
>>897390
you just need a good knife. The knife in that pic looks like a shitty meme knife with awful steel. at least it's full tang

imo you can tell if a knife's shitty or not by seeing if there's dumbfuck gimping or sawbacking.
>>
>>895652
That's for household use, since it has to be bolted into a stump. We're talking about stuff you take out in the woods.
>>
>>896986
As long as it's the right knife. That's the wrong knife.
>>
>>898282
Looks like an Ontario RAT-7, basically Ontario's licensed production run of RAT Cutlery (now ESEE) knives.

1095 steel is terrific. That picture MAY depict a knife that hadn't been tempered sufficiently. I can tell you it DEFINITELY shows a person who uses their knives improperly.

Batoning is meme-o-rific bullshit, spoon-fed to an ignorant public by TV survivalists. Even high quality knives are not designed to survive being beaten through solid wood.

If you can't carry the tools and supplies you would need in the wilderness, so as batoning becomes a survival necessity, you don't belong outside of suburbia. Go rethink your life choices.
>>
File: db_file_img_1075_1000x1000.jpg (56KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
db_file_img_1075_1000x1000.jpg
56KB, 1000x1000px
>>895508
>>
>>895510
Must disagree. Had Coleman. Was garbage. Would barely take, much less hold, an edge. Poorly balanced for swinging. Hollow tube handle bent constantly. Get a Marbles, a Fiskars X7, or a Husqvarna. All under $40 and will hold up well. Have X7, love X7.
>>
File: estwing_vaughan_hathet_axe_out.png (105KB, 404x570px) Image search: [Google]
estwing_vaughan_hathet_axe_out.png
105KB, 404x570px
>>899951
You forgot Vaughan and Estwing anon. Don't forget Vaughan and Estwing, anon.
>>
>>899952
Unfamiliar with Vaughn. Estwing camp axe was excellent til bro lost it. Miss it.
>>
>>900008
Vaughan Manugfacturing's a company similar to Estwing but it's from the 1860s. Still made in Mearca too, very good striking tools of all ilk.

*this is not a sponsored post
>>
>>897390
This, though I'm not convinced a saw isn't a worthwhile solution for cutting. Most axes/hatchets can chop, split, pound stakes, delimb, and skin bark. They can be kinda clunky at all of these tasks, though. Depends on model, user, wood, etc. A saw is less strenuous and a good knife can cover most of the other bases.
>inb4 pounding stakes
Use a rock, chunk of wood, pommel, etc.
Does /out/ think a knife and saw are a viable (and lighter) alternative to an axe/hatchet and knife? Would it just depend on the situation?
>>
>>899952
Estwing makes a solid tool. The only downside is you can't comfortably choke up to the head for detail work.
>>
I fell for the Gransfors Bruk meme. Waited to find a good deal on one, and found one for 130$ on Amazon.

I don't regret a single damn thing....
>>
>>895508
I use a cheep choglans pack axe. I love it to bits. 9/10 would recommend
>>
File: IMG_0612.png (161KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0612.png
161KB, 640x640px
It's amazing the difference between a cheap ass Chinese axe and a good axe. I've had a $12 hatchet for years and I always thought it was perfectly adequate for my small splitting and chopping tasks. Until I decided to order a Husqvarna hatchet based on good reviews. On the outside, both axes look nearly identical, but the difference is huge. my cheap axe can easily be sharpened with a file, that file slides right over the Husqvarna. The bit of the cheap axe is also thinner with the edge coming in very steep. The Husqvarna bit tapers thicker but the edge is a much narrower angle, a few minutes on the stone and strop got it shaving sharp, the softer steel on the cheaper axe would roll over easily at this shallow angle. When splitting, the cheap axe would usually dig in two inches and stop since it didn't taper enough to actually split, the Husqvarna does it easily in one hit. I realise this post sounds newfaggy as fuck, but I thought I'd share my experience for anyone else who also thought an axe isn't much more than a wedge on a stick.
>>
>>895652
now try to fell a tree with that you silly billy
>>
>>896986
but if you are supposed to fell a tree and actually cut the tree up it will take weeks with just a knife.
>>
>>901218
I once watch a documentary on a rainforest abo fag that chopped down an old growth with basically a river rock.

Took him days and days, but cleari.ng the high canopy for a village site was key for his little band of naked pygmy bitches.

In case you're wondering, I would have, but I would fuck a goat in a wig..
>>
>>901216
>>901218
"survival/hiking axe"
I love cutting down trees while i'm hiking on the trail.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.