[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best jacket for hardcore /out/, general survival,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: $_35.jpg (13KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
13KB, 300x279px
What's the best jacket for hardcore /out/, general survival, the apocalypse?

Looking for something that doesn't cost the Earth, can be easily maintained, wear resistant for crawling around/sleeping in it, etc
>>
>>894200

>for hardcore /out/
Killing an animal, skinning and tanning it's hide, and fashioning a cloak out of the furs.
>>
That one milsurp jacket they have at your local milsurp store. Is that what you wanted to hear?
>>
>>894203
No, try again
>>
>>894200
The one you have.
>>
>>894200
Certainly I say avoid getting one of these soft shell breathable jackets. Won't keep the rain out so you may as well go jacketless.

Get an actual coat.
>>
File: Arctic-Style-Eskimo[1].jpg (60KB, 705x473px) Image search: [Google]
Arctic-Style-Eskimo[1].jpg
60KB, 705x473px
>>894202
This was the good answer.
>>
>>894200
M65's are cozy but not waterproof at all.

If you're not a poorfag get something with Goretex.
Plenty of milsurp Goretex out there if you insist on being a huge larping faggot.
>>
>>894202
This

There is a reason we see Eskimos mostly wearing animal furs rather than man made crap.
>>
File: 3834476-2.jpg (344KB, 765x765px) Image search: [Google]
3834476-2.jpg
344KB, 765x765px
>>894200

I use this thing.

Very cheap and durable, no gore but it costs like decent t-shirt.

https://www.solognac.co.uk/wl-sibir-100-camouflage-hunting-jacket-green-id_8222568
>>
I've got one of these, warm, waterproof with Greenland Wax and fucking bombproof
>>
>>894200
>sleeping in it
a jacket is not a substitute for a sleeping bag
>>
>>894200
>The apocalypse
You mean, the kind of event that you won't survive anyway?

But anyway: for wear resistance, choose good and heavy canvas or polycotton. Canvas holds up better to sparks etc. polycotton might be more wear resistant, strictly speaking. Most modern stuff is way too light because you really don't gain much in wind resistance beyond a certain point (and the fabric doesn't insulate much either). You could make one yourself from proper fabric, dunno where you would get it though. A parka cut would probably be best, or a coat one if you feel like displaying your autism.

For insulation, try fleece or sturdy polyester batting wrapped in a similar material (possibly just heavy polyester since you won't expose it to fire anyway).
>>
>>894202

fpbp
>>
>>895365
Their coats are man made using fur. They use fur because, well, good luck growing linen, cotton or raising sheep in there and they already have to kill the animals for the meat and the fat.

It's heavy but the design keep the heat in and ventilate the inside when you move. God tier.

>>895423
With just a sleeping pad and a woollen blanket, it make the complement you lack. Wouldn't bet my life on it so get another option with you when you try.
>>
>>894200
Working clothes are the most underrated /out/ Items.
They are reasonably cheap, will endure anything and are extremely functional.
>>
>>895546
this.
There are people who would rather try going out in a heritage boots than a proper working boots..
>>
>>894200
Go to your local farm-supply store.
They might have durable clothing.
>>
my votes for latex, its 100% weather proof
>>
>>895601
there are a lot of shitty work boots out there that fall apart easily, also they come with a steel toe and are unnecessarily heavy
I've worked in the construction industry myself and seen boots that only last for a couple months
that goes for some work clothes as well, a lot of it is made in China and made to be replaced often
when I worked in the construction industry I had pants that only lasted for 2 months until the seems came apart in the crotch
>>
>>895762
desu op this is where its at. stylish AND warm
>>
>>895778
It's pretty easy to walk into a red wings store and buy non steel toed boots, or better yet, their hiking/hunting boots

Also about the pants, how? My dickies i got at Walmart have lasted about 6 months hard use and the seams look fine.
>>
>>895762
I just got a mental image of a bunch of hikers in national parks in full body gimp suits.

College kids. Old people. A boy scout troop. Al wearing gimp suits (with REI or OSPREY branded all over them)
>>
>>895855
>their hiking/hunting boots
so, not work boots at all

>My dickies i got at Walmart have lasted about 6 months
I know some pants are better than others. Just saying there is a lot of bad products in that market as well that you have to look out for.
People might think they're gonna do a smart purchase by getting cheap work pants and that those pants are gonna be rugged and handler abuse for a few years. but cheap pants will always be cheap pants, the quality usually follow the price.
>>
>>895542
>With just a sleeping pad and a woollen blanket, it make the complement you lack.
>Wouldn't bet my life on it
so you're recommending shit you haven't tried yourself?

sleeping in your clothes is a seriously bad idea, even if it's so warm that you're not gonna die from hypothermia you will get a horrible nights sleep.
a sleeping bag is well worth the extra space and weight because you get proper rest
sleeping with jacket, pants, shoes etc. on is a seriously bad idea that you only do when it's all you have
>>
>>895978
Generations of soldiers did that and they didn't die from sleep deprivation. Granted, they usually had coats rather than mere jackets but that's exactly why OP is asking.
>>
>>895546
Sauce on those?
>>
>>896029
actually it's in the military that I learned you should always avoid sleeping in your clothes

and I see you suggest bringing a wool blanket and sleeping pad, it doesn't make any sense to choose a blanket over a sleeping pad
>>
>>896035
>blanket over a sleeping pad
skeeping bag*
>>
>>895855
I wear lightweight hiking boots or shoes from a dedicated hiking footwear company because I'm not a stupid redneck faggot.
>>
>>895762
excellent choice senpai
will repell all animals, except the gay ones
>>
>>896203
you cant win every battle
>>
>>896035
Wasn't me. Also do enlighten me on the exact problems it has.
>>
>>895546
man i should really pick up a pair or three of those pants, so i can stop hualing my toolbelt around for the 12 tools i need daily.
>>
>>896229
a soldier or anyone else who's in a survival situation or something similar needs proper rest to do hard, physical stuff day after day

it just gives you a bad nights sleep, it's not gonna kill uoi

but it's not something you do if you have the choice to use a real sleep system, literally no one prefers to sleep in their clothes instead of a bag or even a bed, sleeping in your clothes is also downright dangerous when it's cold

there are drunk people who pass out in the snow and die from hypothermia, same goes for hobos, it's dangerous to rely on just your jacket for sleep, seems to me like something that could only work in summer or in hot countries
>>
>>895978
I slept one night in my car with nothing but my jacket as a blanket. It was summer so it was fine and being in a car is not like being in the wind, but I slept.

>>896035
The sleeping pad protect you from the ground, the blanket give a moderate protection against cold... Don't try it if it snow but it should work.

And the military sleeping bag are made large so you can sleep with your clothes and shoes in it. If something go wrong they don't want you to loose precious minutes before being ready.

>>896033
>>896252
I just googled working clothes to get a picture.
>>
>>894200

A fucking carhartt. Get one with no hood, no fleece or flannel liner, that shit is too warm if you're moving. It'll be light enough to wear even in summer. When it's cold, you put a hoody on underneath it.

Get one from goodwill for like $20.
>>
>>896140
And I wear whatever works because I'm not a soft hobbyist faggot.
>>
>>895882
Oh yeah, you can't go off pavement without at least $500 in REI gear. Coincidentally you can hit that $500 minimum with a beanie and walking stick.
>>
File: IMG_2380.jpg (11KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2380.jpg
11KB, 276x183px
>>896033
>>
Military Gortex winter jacket, or bust.
>>
>>895384
What if it rains for longer than 10 minutes, say 11 minutes. Will you get wet?
>>
>>894200

Buy a nice, milsurp parka. They are cheap, sturdy, and warm as fuck. M65s and their clones are the fucking best.
>>
>>895546
>what shorts do Stormtroopers wear for $500, Alex
>>
>>894214
Barbour Northumbria, with a wool liner?
Do I win, op?
>>
>>895855
>Red Wing is now cheap Chinese shit.
David St.Hubbens
>>
>>894203
this
you can pick up milsurp jackets for like 15$ at your local milsurp store or flea market
>>
>>
>>897382
Ditto.

Highly desirous of the German flectarn goretex rain suit mil surp available from Sportsman's Guide right now.

Prolly won't get, I never do... <sigh>
Why does flectarn give me such a heavy?
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.