[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is winter camping all that much more difficult given the right

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: winter!.jpg (305KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
winter!.jpg
305KB, 1500x1000px
Is winter camping all that much more difficult given the right gear?

I'm prepping a weekend, maybe 3-4 day trip at the most in one of the Oregon state forests with one other person mid-December. 30 minutes to an hour hiking in, nowhere too terribly deep, was thinking either Crater Lake, Deschutes, or Mt. Hood as I know a few spots found during the summer.

Problem is I've never winter camped and haven't camped aside from car-camping in years. I'm fully prepared to drop a dime or two on the right gear considering I've been needing to invest in some decent camping equipment for awhile now and have a newfound source of income. In terms of fundamental gear I'm gonna take advantage of that REI 20% off and pick up a solid 4 season, either TNF Mountain 25 or VE-25, and adequate winter essentials like solid bags and pads, extra fuel cans, milsurp wool, assurance I can maintain heat etc etc. Already have my orienteering skills relatively pat with a map and compass.

Point being I'm not trying to cut corners with my purchases and am adhering to the general google "winter camping checklist"; hoping to avoid the Darwin award here as I'm being looked at to lead this little trip. With this in mind am I underestimating winter or overestimating it? It's me going /out/ with my girl, neither of us having ever tented in winter, so I'm really not looking to fuck up. Well below the tree-line and will be mindful of the weather forecast for storms.
>>
Would not recommend winter camping unless you have a lot of experience with winter /out/ing.
>>
LARPing as a retard is fun eh?

>Problem is I've never winter camped and haven't camped aside from car-camping in years. I'm fully prepared to drop a dime or two on the right gear considering I've been needing to invest in some decent camping equipment for awhile
>>
>>893904
Lots of definitions of winter camping. Camping in December in Arkansas or Georgia is very different from camping in December in Wyoming or Montana. In much of the Southeast and mid-Midwest, winter camping can be really pleasant if you play the weather forecast correctly. Since you're talking about Oregon in mountainous terrain, this would fall into the latter (more risks) category.

Some of the main differences are as follows:
>snow on the trails
If deep enough, you may need snowshoes, but you may make better progress if the snow is shallow enough by using regular boots with gaiters. Hiking is much harder with deep snow on the ground, and you won't be able to travel as far as you might plan to.

In my experience, following snowy trails isn't as difficult as it may seem to someone who has never done it, but the possibility of getting lost does increase, especially with fresh snow on the ground.

>falling snow onto your tent
Regardless of whether you are camping on snow or if you can camp on grass, the possibility exists for the weather to change and snow to begin falling onto your tent. Four-season tents have stiffer poles and steeper walls to mitigate snow loading, but you usually still will need to get out periodically to knock snow off your tent.

>increased risk of hypothermia
It's critically important with winter camping to make sure that you have dry clothes because as soon as you get to camp, you are going to realize that your hiking clothes have gotten all sweaty and have no chance of drying before it gets dark. It's best to dress to be a little chilly while moving, so you don't get too sweaty, and then have a nice puffy jacket ready for whenever you stop hiking.

There are so many other things you'll need to learn, but my main take-away point is, no, it's not nearly the same level of difficulty, but don't feel like you can never figure it out with enough learning and practice.

>>893917
Oh, fuck off. Everyone has to start somewhere.
>>
>>893904
Salem, reporting in.

I don't have anything to add, except that winter camping isn't that much different here.
>>
>>893927
Thanks for the advice man. I'm literally taking notes to keep on paper for reference as I plan this out.

The only reason I feel relatively confident is that the car will be 45 mins out, maybe closer to 2 hours proportioned for snow, at the most and I know the location having camped there before in the summer. It's a 10-20mi lake loop with parking that overlaps with the PCT so it's well marked and documented: I'm not looking to get lost in the middle of nowhere. Timothy Lake up at Mt. Hood for those curious.

Gear I've got on lock; I'm envisioning maybe $1,500 spent all told to ensure I've got what I need/ who cares if some stuff I didn't need, better have it than not. Location wise I'm not being too ambitious and I recall there's even occasional cell-service which I'll take stock in with a solar charger for emergency use. All told I'm trying to plan the least risky winter /out/ trip I can all things considered. If I have any deep seated reservations, see blizzard warnings or extreme drops in temps in the days before, I'll get a yurt or some basic ass shit like that, save this for when the season lightens up.
>>
>>893904
There are a fee tricks to nake winter camping comfortable. There isn't too much gear involved. Unless it's raining, you wouldn't even need a tent necessarily. A 0°F- sleeping bag and a warm bottle of water will make you comfortable.
In the day you'll want to wear layers and a windbreaker as a top layer. Make fire and keep moving around, doig activities and you'll be warm. Just keep in mind that you will be sweating, and will need to change cloths at least every night.
And while you're there, cook some comfort food. Peanut butter and chocolate will keep you warm too.
>>893913
kek.
Just dress in dry, warm cloths, and you'll be fine.
I did sub zero tempuratures as an 11 year old pretty much on my own.
t. Eagle Scout
>>
>>893947
>raining
We are not talking about the same kind of winter camping, my friend.
>>
>>894069
It can freezing rain in the winter.
My point was not to get wet and cold.
>>
>>894082
Once again, no we are NOT talking about the same kind of winter camping.

>it can freezing rain in winter
Read my post here: >>893927

In Georgia or Kansas, it sure can sleet or even just rain in winter. That's clearly the kind of winter camping you seem to be talking about. In the West, in the mountains, in the far North, or at high elevations, like what OP is talking about when he mentions Crater Lake, Deschutes Nat'l Forest, or Mt. Hood, you couldn't be any more wrong. Rain just won't fall in this sort of climate between about November to March due to the cold. I have been on many trips where the warmest temps I saw during the daytime in the sun were around 25*F. If you have never been west of the Great Plains in the winter, you just wouldn't understand. Even when daytime temps get above freezing in the sun, that doesn't mean anything because as soon as clouds come out, the temperature is going to drop down to 20 again.

It's also terrible advice to tell someone they don't need a tent in the winter, especially since it sounds like OP wants to do these trips solo. Building snow caves is a thing, but why do I get the feeling that that's not what you had in mind? Guess what happens to snow when it lands on a warm sleeping bag.

Your entire post just reeks of overconfident teenager who's never been on a camping trip without adult supervision of some kind in his life.
>just cook some comfort food
>just dress in layers
>eat more chocolate if you get cold
Being an Eagle Scout is meaningless if you were always under the watchful eye of troop leaders.

Don't give advice when you don't know what the fuck you're taking about. OP needs to find an experienced outdoors buddy local to him who can show him the ropes in person. I was very careful in my post not to give enough details that someone could feel confident from just reading a description online. It's something that one must learn from doing, especially if snow is involved.
>>
>>894103
OP here, I've got entirely 0 rated gear. I'm looking at Outdoor Gear Lab's recommendations for most all my purchases and temps seem to be in the mid 20's Fahrenheit for where I'm scoping out. Yes I've inexperience in the snow, but I'm going as over-prepared and as cautious as possible with the constraints of "tenting in the snow in 18/25 degrees". That and this trip will be 3 full days at the absolute most, far from a week-long excursion and further from any time frame in which things can go terribly wrong enough that I can injure myself and my camping partner. Worst case scenario I've rotating base layers, a week's worth of fuel, a week's worth of freeze dried, and 4 days to allow for someone to save me God forbid it came to that.

The argument I'm making for an inexperienced winter camper (myself) going camping in the winter is A: preparedness in all aspects, cost nonissue and B: the worst case scenario is bundle up for a few days in an overrated tent with a week's worth of provisions while my friends and family put in the call for a ranger to drive an hour out to save me at my well-specified instruction in absentia.

I think the only scenario in which I may seriously cause injury is a freak snowstorm hitting while I'm hiking to my site, in which I turn back and follow my steps/compass/map. I'm not incompetent outdoors, I don't lack common sense, and I know when to turn back. That's what presses me on here. Were any of those to be compromised during my trip I'd swallow my pride and call it quits.
>>
File: 1476445736786.png (435KB, 855x768px) Image search: [Google]
1476445736786.png
435KB, 855x768px
car camping is borderline free, can be done in less than 24 hours and will give you a first hand perspective on what a longer trip will take. at least take a day to figure it out yourself instead of asking about it on a korean diy fur suit board.
>>
If its only a 30min hike in you won't have much trouble at all even if you stayed all week.
I did something similar in canadian winter, -10 rated bag. Hammock and underquilt.

Although i still wouldnt reccomend anything more than a single night or two for your first overnight camp, especially since its winter.

Dont expect to get a fire going other than with a stove.

Good luck and dont forget the essentials like a patrol box. Literallly can't camp without mine.
>>
>>894103
Woah easy there big boy, different guy here but it seems you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.

https://www.google.be/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nps.gov%2Fcrla%2Fplanyourvisit%2Fimages%2Fclimate-chart.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nps.gov%2Fcrla%2Fplanyourvisit%2Fweather.htm&docid=lNJ-5rhjXnMNJM&tbnid=CcQLvPbVc5mGNM%3A&vet=1&w=900&h=401&bih=900&biw=1689&ved=0ahUKEwjY3rH3-KrQAhXJ0RoKHainCCsQMwgeKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8
Mean high temperature doesn't go under 1°C at crater lake. This is mean high temperature so some days it will hit 5°C so even at higher elevations there is an odd chance for rain.

This is actually more dangerous than when mean high wouldn't exceed freezing temp cause the rain will make you wet while the snow will not, and then a few hours later your wet shit will start to freeze...

Also you don't necessarily need to go digging snow caves if you're going without a tent, there are things called bivy bags and tarps...
>>
>>894192
Back on topic

Honestly i think you shouldn't go spend 1500 on gear to do something you don't even know you would enjoy. If you have a normal tent, just take that one and see if you enjoy it and then maybe later buy an expensive 4 season tent (which will be too heavy for summer use anyway). It's not really dangerous if you're just a couple of miles from your car. Just make sure the first time you do it you have an extra set of dry clothes and know exactly where you are at any given time so worst case scenario you just hike it out. Leave some warm stuff in the car as well.

Just some reminders:
- Days are shorter
- For me hiking speed is about half as slow in the snow
- Everything takes longer: you're wearing gloves or your hands are cold and slow in movement, your laces freeze, you have to melt drinking water, cooking takes longer cause it's freezing outside, changing clothes takes twice as long cause of all your layers, if you wanna shit you gonna have to make a clearing in the snow, etc etc
- orientation becomes more difficult, places look alike because of the snow, trail marks can become hidden, paths in clearings are not visible, small paths through bush are sometimes indistinguishable from game trails. You need to look at your map more often and sometimes hike a bit up and back down to confirm the right path.
- the combination of above will leave you with a lot less time to do shit you want to do. If i go solo trek in winter i cover about 1/3th the daily distance i would in summer. Don't underestimate this you don't want to be only halfway your little day hike when dusk sets in.
-If you're planning on building a fire, make sure you have done it before in worse circumstances, otherwise don't count on it.
-If you're not going to build a fire, take moist clothes you plan on wearing again in your sleeping bag at night to dry, or wear them sleeping.
- try to keep your shit dry
>>
>>894192
>thinks mean high temperature means when there's clouds

Nah, you're just a dumbass.
>>
>>894103
>snow on warm sleeping bag
It's never really been a problem for me. Good winter sleeping bags are insulated enough where melting snow isn't too much of a problem.
But it does sound to me like we are talking about different kinds of winter camping. I was more visualizing more light snowfall, so yeah, OP prolly doesn't want to get buried in snow if there's going to be more than an inch or two.
>Being an Eagle Scout is meaningless if you were always under the watchful eye of troop leaders.
No offense intended, but you don't really sound like you have any idea what you're talking about when it comes to Eagle Scouts.
>>
>>894195
>half as slow in the snow

So twice the speed?
>>
>>894252
You are one dense motherfucker

Warmest winter days would be on overcast nights with clear days. In general this means the weather isn't exactly stable so rain can certainly happen in the afternoon.

http://www.craterlakeinstitute.com/online-library/winter-use/ch2b.htm

Crater Lake even has more rain in winter as in summer, by a lot...

>>894266
Okay my bad, but you know what i mean, twice as slow...
In my language we say half as slow, which is a bit retarded now that i come to think about it
>>
>>893927
incredibly dumb question, but I'm similar to op and am going on a winter camp this year, I've been winter camping b4, but it was in the scouts and we had a trailer full of gear 10 yards away with whatever we needed, this time its just me and a friend(hes got experience, so don't worry about me dying out there, I just don't wanna ruin his weekend by being incompetent) and what we can carry in our backpacks, we will be in Indiana and there might not even be snow on the weekend we go, assuming I have good enough bedding do you think a tarp is enough shelter? I am out in Arizona so I don't really use a tent, but I could buy one if its absolutely needed.

tl:dr in mild cold weather camping, is a tarp enough if you have good bedding?
>>
>>893904
>>>893927
> so don't worry about me dying out there

This is 4chan. I really don't think anyone is worried about you dying

>in mild cold weather camping, is a tarp enough if you have good bedding?

Tarp, good bedding, fire - that'll be one good nights sleep. Just remember fire is gonna be more tricky if it's raining and wet.
>>
>>894737
Yes, a tarp should be fine for winter in Indiana unless you expect a lot of snow. You can make a tarp work in high alpine environments if you stake them out well and are willing to go out in a snowstorm to brush off snow.
>>
>>894265
>Good winter sleeping bags are insulated enough where melting snow isn't too much of a problem.
No, that's not what I'm getting at. It isn't a matter of the amount of insulation, it's a matter of water resistance. No matter how much insulation you have over you, your body temperature is close to 98 degrees and the air outside is much colder. Snow that lands on your sleeping bag will melt eventually and turn into water that you don't want anywhere near your insulation.

>No offense intended, but you don't really sound like you have any idea what you're talking about when it comes to Eagle Scouts.
I was in the Scouts long enough to know that your claim to have been an Eagle Scout at 11 is bullshit.
>>
>>894309
>>894192
Just going to repeat myself here, but you've never been in the mountains in the winter. We get it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
>>893904

Camped in northern Arizona last two nights for the super moon. Was over prepared and too hot at night. Pretty fun actually, very comfy.
>>
>>894787
true enough, thanks for responding i'll keep It in mind

>>895130
thank you for responding also, makes me a fair bit more confident knowing it will work
>>
This post is relevant to my interests, so I shall bump it.

Just moved to Boise from the southeast and while I've winter camped in North GA, etc., I know it'll be totally different out here... especially if I head up in elevation which is most likely. I'll be car camping at first to get an idea of what I need and how much gear I have that will be viable. Only have 3 season tents so I'm gonna be keeping my eye out for a 4 season. Since I'm car camping I'm just gonna bring a buncha blankets and my bag and see how it goes with a 3 season. Better than not going at all. That being said....

Anybody have any little tips or tricks to make camping in the snow/negative temps (F) easier/more tolerable. This will be my first true winter so there will definitely be a learning curve. Planning on buying snowshoes either way since I heard it's a killer workout and is something fun to do after work or on the weekends if I don't want to camp.
>>
>>895133
So youre denying weather statistics now? You also think the earth is flat and created 4000 years ago?

>>895131 if there is enough isolation the loss of heat is slow enough that the heat dissipates in the environment fast enough to not melt the snow. you also think snow on a roof is not possible cause its 20 degrees celcius in the house then?

please educate yourself
>>
Winter is the only time I do go camping. No annoying bugs and no faggot hikers trashing the place.
>>
>>895136
A cold front moved in last nIght. It's gonna be ridiculously chilly the next few days.
>>
>>895416
>Since I'm car camping I'm just gonna bring a buncha blankets and my bag and see how it goes with a 3 season.
This is a beginner's mistake. Unless you plan on camping IN your car and running the heater, blankets off your bed are really not suitable for winter camping, no matter where you are. It's much more efficient to use two sleeping bags, one inside the other, if you can't afford a good winter bag.
>>
>>895487
No, having actual life experience spending four whole winters above 7000 feet and the majority of two more at 11,000 feet that informs what I'm saying does not make me a "denier." Liberal dogma has infected your brain and made it so you are unable to actually hear how dumb you sound. I'm done with you. If you really think the whole country's weather behaves just like it does in Georgia, then there's no helping you.

>if there is enough isolation the loss of heat is slow enough that the heat dissipates in the environment fast enough to not melt the snow. you also think snow on a roof is not possible cause its 20 degrees celcius in the house then?
Go try it yourself, ffs. Don't expect a dry sleeping bag in the morning, though.
>>
>>895620
Honestly I meant that I'd have extras in the car if I needed them. I have a 0 degree bag and 2 milsurp wool blankets I would put inside first and wrap myself in one of them, then slide into my bag and have the other one handy in case. I can always crash in my car if I get cold. It's the 3 season tent I'm curious to try out in the actual cold. I've done 30 degrees and windy in that tent, but dipping into the teens or close to 0 is a different animal. I just want to get out and spend a day out in the snow in the semi-wilderness and kinda get a feel for if I'd enjoy a full day in the snow hiking around and then at night just enjoying the quiet that only winter can bring. My Jeep is a lifeline in case my lil weiner decides to disappear into myself and I get cold. Slept in my car before in cold environments and it's surprisingly comfy.

Appreciate the concern though, I should have been more specific. I just don't have the disposable income right now to outfit myself appropriately since I just moved here, so that's why I'm just gonna fuck around car camping back in some NF.
>>
>>895626
You should be fine, then. Tents don't insulate that much, especially if you are the only one sleeping in them. Even then, if you are getting some insulation from your tent, it could be defeated if a breeze blows through. They are designed to vent air so as not to cover you with condensation rain from the inside anyway. Better to rely on your sleeping bag for insulation.
>>
>>895635
Yea, I've never slept in a 4 season, but I'm not exactly braving the arctic, so I'm not too worried. I'm more interested in seeing how well I do keeping my gear dry and biding time and how much I enjoy exploring in solid snow. Should be a good time. I've gotta find something out here to do during the winter other than headin' to the bar and watching sports.
>>
>>895621
but like it could still rain
or at least like wet snow
>>
>>895689
No.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.