[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did "survivial" become the no. 1 outdoorsman meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: outdoorsman.jpg (63KB, 755x1133px) Image search: [Google]
outdoorsman.jpg
63KB, 755x1133px
When did "survivial" become the no. 1 outdoorsman meme?
>8" to 12" knives that weight a full pound or more
>ferro rods but no lighter or even firesteel
>bulk purchases of paracord because muh lanyards and handle wraps
>clothing straight outta renaissance fair
>no hatchet, beating the fuck out of my knife instead on a weekend trip lmao
>spending more time online gearfagging than /out/
>>
>>891518
The same time every other loner redneck idiot idea started to congeal into semi-organized loudmouthed masses. The explosion of consumer internet c.1995.

>survival
>prepping
>conspearancy theories
>alliums
>illuminati et al
>>
File: Rat 7.jpg (236KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Rat 7.jpg
236KB, 1024x768px
Nobody that would want to survive in a long term emergency scenario should risk even a thick bladed full tang blade batoning, especially if it's the only bladed tool you have
>>
File: Essee rtak ii.jpg (147KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Essee rtak ii.jpg
147KB, 1024x576px
How do we stop survival syndrome?
>>
>>891518
a ferro rod is the same weight and more reliable. any piece of high carbon steel can be a firesteel
>>
>>891520
the militia movement and by extension the outdoor survivalist movement was created by disgruntled vietnam veterans in the 1970s, although there were precursors to this ideology as early as the 1950s.
>>
>>891518

>ferro rods
>no fire steel
>ferro rods
>fire steel

Ferro rods ARE fire steel
>>
>>891520
>consumer internet c.1995.

Most rural areas didn't even have dialup in 1995. You were lucky to get a connection at 10-20 dollars an hour in RICH as fuck areas. The internet didnt get filled with literal retards until the 2005+ era.
>>
>>891533
Of course, even the Hell's Angels' founding post-WWII was similarly part of that. But that's now when it became a meme. It became a meme in 1995. Early June, I think.
>>
Something about Mormons and stocking up on buckets and buckets of grains and beans, camping/hiking, fear mongering, and now we've reached a point where the "recreation" section of Wal-Mart has a section for cheap plastic "survival" items and somehow the media/marketing directors have made it so self absorbed 16-40 year olds are living a boring life if they aren't posting pictures of their back turned to the camera on top of some run of the mill cliff.

This whole fucking place is a meme.
>>
>tfw chopping down forests of trees for firewood (on private land) with my hatchet while my friendo is still working his first one with a rambo knife
>>
File: woodcutting.png (46KB, 258x235px) Image search: [Google]
woodcutting.png
46KB, 258x235px
>>891550
>>
>>891518
What about wanting to use all traditional gear? Is that faggy? Hipster?
>>
>>891558
no, that's using traditional gear
there are reenactment groups for that i believe
>>
>>891558

Thats called cosplay. Its short for "costume play". Its a hobby where teenagers and impressionable adults, who happen to fall within the autistic spectrum, gather and pretend that they are from another plane of existence in which there is no REI, Moosejaw, or Cabela's. This is where the traditional gear comes into play. People on the spectrum aren't rational thinkers and will gravitate towards anything "autistically". I blame their obese, caucasoid, "over the hill" parents. Its been proven that the offspring of old white people will eventually contact autism.
>>
>>891518
That last line might have something to do with it.
It's easier to be a gear queer and imagine doing something exciting than actually go out and do anything at all.
>>
>>891518

Blame faggot bushcrafting niggers and Youtube watchers that live vicariously through these losers. It's pathetic.

That said I do carry a long, fixed blade knife but that is because I prefer it.
>>
>>891518

Are knives for survival a meme?

I bet if you drop a person with just a knife and another person with just a lighter the one with the knife will die way before the other.
>>
>>891518
Since long term bushcraft is illegal what else are you going to do but train for short term survival before being rescued?
And there's 100 hunters for every 1 of these guys you're complaining about outdoors.
>>
>>891623
Depends on the location imo. I'm in Maine and would much prefer a knife to make a good shelter and set traps. Plus there is flint all over so I would just use that and my knife to make a fire.
>>
>>891518
Probably due to the rise of militias and distrust of the government.

Basically >>891533

>>891523
>actively engaged in survival
Absolutely true. Unless absolutely necessary you shouldn't.

That said, training and testing knives to make sure they can perform this emergency duty is essential.

>>891623
>One of humanities basic tools
>almost infinite versatility
Assuming the only difference between person A and person B was that one had a lighter and the other a knife, and that both have basic survival skills, the one with the knife will survive longer every time.
>>
>>891518
>When did "survivial" become the no. 1 outdoorsman meme?
Bear Grylls
>>
>>891639
Nah. Him and Les made their shows after the influx of the shows and documentaries of people lost in the wild.
>>
>>891640
He was the one who made all of the shit in the OP popular though.
>ferro rods
>paracord everything
>use knife for everything
>selling all of this shit with his name on it
>>
>>891641
I was talking strictly of the survival genre. There were a lot of documentaries in the early 2000's about people being lost in the wild. Then "I shouldn't be alive" came to be. Just look at the timing of Bear Grylls coming to be. 2006. Right after the surge of popularity of survival shows.
No doubt Bear and Les got people into doing it for fun though.
>>
>>891643
Try rambo then.
>>
File: m_AK_steel_classic_C.jpg (421KB, 2104x1578px) Image search: [Google]
m_AK_steel_classic_C.jpg
421KB, 2104x1578px
>>891534
Shut up.
>>
>>891636
>distrust of the government

I expect the survival memes to die down under President Trump. He appeals to the paranoid and they believe he will act in their best interest. At the very least, preparing for a UN gun grab invasion will fall down their agenda.
>>
>>891518

Was this like an actual photoshoot? Is this weaponised autism?
>>
>>891641
there were knives advertised as being used for "everything" in the 30s

"everything" meaning food prep, wood prep, making crafts, etc.

people were poor and couldn't afford specialized tools. same story now for a lot of people
>>
File: 1476682162528.jpg (52KB, 604x455px) Image search: [Google]
1476682162528.jpg
52KB, 604x455px
>>892428
>people were poor and couldn't afford specialized tools. same story now for a lot of people
Thanks, obama!
>>
>>891552
not same fag, I was hoping this was a pic with hatchet that fell, and you had to go pick it up (this was to prevent botting, lol it didn't even work)
>>
>>891518
Out of shape faggots who can't hike so instead they walk two miles in and bushcraft
These are the same people who shitpost about carrying 90 pound packs, cooking with cast iron, using canvas and milsurp crap, etc
>>
>>891542
That shit trend is a completely different issue. Part of it is that Mormons are expected to keep large amounts of food as a preventative measure for times of famine. The other issue is that the government recognized that most people are woefully unprepared if the power goes out for even two days so they have subtly encouraged people to maintain supplies because they know they can't. This leads to bucket folk and Everyman family of four spending 100 bucks to eat mountain house for 3 days.
>>
>>891518
When Globalism became the primary threat to the United States. Also, what you described is just a modern Bushcrafter.

>>891523
>>891524
Clearly Ontario knives just SUCK. Batoning can be done with a knife, it just has to be more than 1/4" thick, with a convex grind, and heat-treated correctly. Basically a legit Nepalese Khukuri Knife or some other high-end handmade blade. Also, the wood has to be less than 6" in diameter, and close to dry, you also have to cut with the grain.

What they should be doing is carving a splitting wedge and a mallet, though.

>>892511
>90lbs of pack weight.
Who wouldn't complain about that kind of weight. That's just asking for spinal and joint problems.

>>892512
"Times of Famine"? More like for when Americans finally have enough of their cultist bullshit and lay siege to their homes. I bet the Scientologists stock the same things.
>>
>>892556
>When Globalism became the primary threat to the United States.

back up your falsity
>>
>>892511
yeah basically
>>
>>891518

Nothing wrong with bulk paracord purchases. I bought a couple thousand feet for like 80 bucks.
>>
>>891603
>Blame faggot bushcrafting niggers and Youtube watchers that live vicariously through these losers. It's pathetic.

most of the population does not live anywhere near the wilderness...its not pathetic. I already used up my vacation time on outdoor trips. But I guess I can't watch online videos because some guy thinks its lame.
>>
>>892511
I love milsurp but using 100% milsurp is just retarded
>>
File: tumblr_ns5ejcOYiZ1ubm73lo1_1280.jpg (92KB, 819x460px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns5ejcOYiZ1ubm73lo1_1280.jpg
92KB, 819x460px
GTX's face when wool is better.
>>
>>892559
Our recent election, and the revelations it has brought before us.
>>
>>892830
UNLESS it's Eastern Bloc stuff. Nice and folky-looking. Nobody would give you a second look.

Besides, surplus gear is generally the only way to get American-made equipment.
>>
>>893600
Globalisation is a thing regardless of your domestic and foreign policies, USAfag

>what is trade
>what is the stock market
>what is the internet
>what is the media

Only one world, with a finite amount of resources. If you take something you're just depriving someone else. This is globalisation.
>>
File: yo.jpg (13KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
yo.jpg
13KB, 225x224px
>>891518
>>8" to 12" knives that weight a full pound or more
I got you

>>ferro rods but no lighter or even firesteel
ferror rods are enough. cuz the are light, need no fuel and work even when they are wet. really wet. like falling into a creek.
>>bulk purchases of paracord because muh lanyards and handle wraps
I got you.
>>clothing straight outta renaissance fair
I got you.
>>no hatchet, beating the fuck out of my knife instead on a weekend trip lmao
that was a stupid remark. you still dont use a folding saw?
>>spending more time online gearfagging than /out/
whats wrong with you jim-bob? pls leave and never come back.
>>
>>891533
>the outdoor survivalist movement was created by disgruntled vietnam veterans in the 1970s
wat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_world
>>
>>892830
Most slav milsurp looks hardly different from hunting or even hiking kit, i own a bunch of yugo equipment and it's all OD green, none of it has any camo whatsoever
>>
>>892358
The irony being that under the Trumpkin we're closer than ever to SHTF
>>
>>893782
Do you think he will start ww3 by grabbing Merkels pussy or are you being deported?
>>
>>893798
Yes.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.