[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

rate my mini shelter out. The concept is a relatively cheap,rot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: bunk.png (21KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
bunk.png
21KB, 700x600px
rate my mini shelter out. The concept is a relatively cheap,rot and rain proof structure with a low profile capable of being hidden out in the woods

sleeps ideally two, storage for packs underneath the bunks. Near the butt end there's a shelf for small items. Air slits also by the back. The door has an internal latch-lock

ITT: small cheap shelter permanent shelter concepts
>>
What happens when it rains for more than 30 minutes?

Do you have gills?
>>
>>890446
the walls are concrete below ground level. I was also thinking a drainage plug in the center for redundancy. Also was thinking of wrapping the outside layer in plastic groundsheet prior to construction
>>
>>890445
>>890446
Just let the tin roof expand some distance away from your wall and I don't think it will be a problem. Looks comfy
>>
How many MGTOWs can you fit in there?
>>
>>890458
2 on the benches, maybe 2 on the floor tops
>>
Without significant measures to waterproof, I would just keep it above ground level.

Remember, concrete itself isn't waterproof.
>>
>>890455
>cheap
>concrete
i think you're underestimating the cost of concrete here, as well as how fucking difficult this would be to make
if you don't have vehicle access to your spot, you'll be hiking out 50lb bags of concrete one by one. then you have to bring out enough water to mix it with (at 8.3 pounds per gallon). if you pull that off, you will need a fuckhueg mixing bowl; if you don't mix it all at the same time, your concrete will crack.
to top that all off, concrete isn't waterproof, or even very water resistant. if you want to waterproof longer than a few years (see: plastic sheeting) you'll need to purchase crystalline silica admixtures to mix with the concrete before it cures.
if you really want to make this, start saving your money now, and pick a spot with vehicle access. you'll need a pickup truck at the very least, and multiple large water containers.
>pick spot
>dig the hole
>build wooden forms in the hole to pour concrete into
>purchase concrete, waterproofing admixture, thick plastic sheeting, and 55 gallon drums full of water
>line the bed of the truck with plastic sheeting
>mix concrete, water, and admixture in there
>pour into forms
>wait for it to cure
>build the rest of the shelter
-or-
>pick spot near the top of a hill
>make rammed earth brickmaking form
>dig hole and use the dirt to make rammed earth bricks
>make shelter out of rammed earth bricks
>line roof with tyvek
>cover with dirt
>camouflage your door
>your shelter looks like a hill
>>
File: IMG_4176.jpg (114KB, 547x411px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4176.jpg
114KB, 547x411px
>>890445
>>
>>890470
Duly noted.

I would greatly appreciate a submerged structure due to the layout of the land here. Basically, there are no hills and they are natural targets for the eye and travellers. Surveyors would discover it fairly quick. Dirt brick would be rained out very quickly on the west coast

Perhaps tin plate below would be sufficient? Is there a practical method of making this design at all?

>>890471
>meet bear
>he comes in through the soft fabric siding while I'm away
>>
>>890481
Nigga, look into cob. That shit is good to work with, inexpensive, and other shit. Just a suggestion
>>
File: Untitled.png (66KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
66KB, 600x600px
>>890481
fellow westcoastfag here. are you in the central valley or something? where are you that doesn't have hills?
tin will corrode, especially if it's underground.
i stand by my rammed earth recommendation.
>make rammed earth bricks out of dirt you dug out of a hole
>line the hole with tyvek/ other vapor barrier (multiple layers if you want it to last longer)
>build "igloo" of earth bricks over opening
>cover in tyvek
>cover that in loose dirt to camouflage the hill you've made
also, the deeper the hole is dug, the lower the resulting hill can be
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rammed_earth
>>
>>890501
are you sure it won't leak like a motherfucker?

otherwise you're right and I'm in. The premise is I'd build this in a replanted clearcut. Flat terrain largely, although hills do exist. I am leery of hills only because they attract people
>>
>>890481
Why are you worried about surveyors finding it?
>>
>>890528
clearcuts get foot traffic. I'd like a structure capable of lasting at least 5 years unperturbed

#paranoia
>>
>>890517
see this instructable
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-an-Earthbag-Dome/
the construction unit is different, but the style is very similar to what you'll accomplish. That instructable goes over drainage and waterproofing a similar structure.
>wary of hills because they attract people
reiterating: the lower the original hole is dug, the lower the eventual roof will have to be. You can build the structure anywhere. The only reason I recommend a hill is so you won't have issues with standing water right next to your spot, which WILL fuck your structure up.
No matter where you choose to build, you can make the immediate surroundings less attractive to potential interlopers. I live on the west coast as well, and blackberry bushes grow wild in many areas around me. They have the added bonus of being thorny, but any thick vegetation, spiky deadfall, or other obstacles will make it less likely people will be poking around your spot.
>>
>>890694
>plant delicious black berries around hideout to attract less interlopers
>>
how about a yurt

the wall can be made out of woven branches packed with mud, then the roof can be a heavy canvas tarp or whatever
>>
>>890817
i hope OP isn't building his super secret squirrel hideout where casuals will be wandering around looking for free produce
>>
>>890445
Maybe look at examples of turf houses used in greenland by its early settlers. Idk how they are even water proof.. But they have to be some how because it fucking snows and when that shit melts it soaks the ground...

Basically find rich grassy area. And start cutting grass cubes. And then slice the grass cubes in 4ths and then lay them on their side grass facing outwards and stacking them like brick work. The insides are normally lined with like wood.
>>
>>890445
carbon monoxide/dioxide LIKES LOW LYING AREAS. Raise those benches above ground level and your air vents for safety. Just line the outside walls of concrete with tar. Put dirt/clay on said tar and grow shit on there. Don't build it at the base of a valley or drainage area/dry river bed and you can be fine.
>>
>>890841
Get local clay, aka dig til you hit the clay layer, once found and is more/less half a food or more in depth, THEN...
Collect, shape, mix with ash and FIRE/SUN Bake them into bricks. Use said bricks to line your floor and your walls. Use either titanium or non-oxidizing metals to reinforce your walls. Get decent shrubs and trees with long lifespans and plant them all around your earthen home. Plant them around a LOT of areas you don't plan to live in. Will double for fuel/materials/cover/improved moisture retention/runoff protections/weather protection/ food.

Look up root cellars, they still work AND can be made easily on site. Also can be improved to modern standards easily over time. Adobe and more.
>>
File: trump-gif-quotes.gif (1MB, 464x333px) Image search: [Google]
trump-gif-quotes.gif
1MB, 464x333px
>>890846
>Use either titanium or non-oxidizing metals to reinforce your walls

Are you telling OP to consider using Rhodium as a sheet metal?
>>
>>890543
Why would surveyors even be on your property?
>>
>>890855
it's not my property. It's a forest lands replanted clearcut webbed with old logging roads. Sees foot traffic, and they do check on the trees for growth sometimes. Hence the low investment and sturdy construction. I want something that is hidden and will be left alone if found because it's a neat addition
>>
>>890954
Not saying don't build your shelter, but if you build it on land you don't own don't worry/complain about other people finding it.
>>
>>890445
45 mil EPDM rubber pond liner (or roof liner) would be a way to waterproof if you can find a way to protect it. The liner I bought for my pond is guaranteed for 20 years unprotected in the sun. If protected, it will last even longer.

Also, you don't have to use concrete for it to be waterproof. Steel/tin/metal roofs in general last a long time with proper maintenance. Aluminum would be a good (expensive) choice. Galvanized, painted steel about 18 gauge is an alternate choice. Slate or some substitution would be a permanent solution, but very expensive. Porcelain tiles could work if you had a way to attach them to the roof or built in hooks of sorts..
>>
>>890954
>will be left alone if found because it's a neat addition
>left alone because it's a neat addition
>left alone
that isn't how any of that works. people will use it to smoke weed, drink beer, and fuck. government employees will demolish it and possibly try to find and fine you. If you think there's even the smallest possible chance it'll be found, don't leave anything valuable there
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.