[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here familiar with riding bikes in snow? I live in Northern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: metro_bike_snow.jpg (63KB, 375x250px) Image search: [Google]
metro_bike_snow.jpg
63KB, 375x250px
Anyone here familiar with riding bikes in snow? I live in Northern Sweden and I'm considering buying a new bike with 35mm tires, is that enough if I put studded tires on it, or should I opt for something with more width? I also want it to be speedy in the summer, which is why I'm looking at bikes with road shifters instead of MTB.

Right now I'm riding a bike which has I think 42mm tires (not studded, but with pretty decent grip pattern, low pressure) and it's okay, but there will definitely be more snow and ice in a few weeks.
>>
File: fat-bike.jpg (35KB, 512x296px) Image search: [Google]
fat-bike.jpg
35KB, 512x296px
>>890399
These are the best bikes for snow or ice. Wide tires and low tire pressure gives you lots of grip. The downside is you look retarded
>>
>>890404
Yea, you look retarded and also they suck dicks in the summer. The reason I'm looking at a bike wtih 35mm tyres is because I also want to put slicks on it when the snow is gone for a few months in high summer. Gotta go fast, you know.
>>
>>890406
Are you riding on roads or trails?
>>
>>890408
Roads, should've mentioned it in OP. It'll mainly be a commuter bike, so it's flat ground with packed snow from cars going over it all the time. I also want to do some longer treks, but still on roads probably.
>>
File: snow crash.webm (452KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
snow crash.webm
452KB, 720x576px
>>890399
My cyclocross bike is great for snow, but I'd want clearance for more than 35mm tires (becase Schwalbe Marathon Cross 37s are a good snow tire, and because I want room so the snow doesn't pack up under my fenders - and in the winter I definitely want fenders). 35 should do the job though.

Studded tires are really good on ice, in the city I usually only use one on the front (it's all you need to stay upright). I only use both if it's really icy or I'm riding on the frozen harbour or something like that.

Road handlebars will help you get more aerodynamic but it's really a matter of preference and comfort. If you want to be speedy in the summer fast tires will make a big difference. I like road handlebars for most riding other than mountain biking, but flat bars do give you more control in the snow.
>>
>>890404
Studded tires give better grip on ice than just extremely wide ones.
Fatbikes in all glory but buying one for city use is just silly and dumb as shit

How much are you prepared to spend? Usually CX bikes are pretty good for this stuff, just make sure you have enough clearance for studs before buying. If it's a dedicated commutier you'd probably like a hybrid bike, but if you wanna use it recreationally during summer I'd just get a CX.

Does your city use road salts much?
>>
File: 3340354.jpg (46KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
3340354.jpg
46KB, 600x600px
>>890442
>>890450
The one I've looked at is the 2016 Crescent Yotta. It more or less seems to be a cyclocross with flat handlebars. Not sure about the clearance on fenders, haven't actually looked at it in person yet, but it has the specs I want.

My city doesn't salt at all, only gravel is spread.
>>
File: snow bike (2).jpg (278KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
snow bike (2).jpg
278KB, 1024x768px
>>890453
Looks decent. I looked it up and it looks like someone managed to fit fenders and 700x40 Marathon Winter studs on one (if Google Translate is getting it right):
https://happyride.se/forum/read.php/1/1634586/2845984#msg-2845984

>My city doesn't salt at all
That's probably just as well. Salt wrecks bikes and bike parts. They use tons of it where I live so I ride a semi-disposable beater on the street in winter and save the good bike for off-street stuff.
>>
>>890485
Yeah, translate is correct there. If I'm to put 40mm studded winter tyres, I also need to change the wheel, right? Might get a bit too expensive for me then.
>>
>>890494
Nope, you can use the same wheels with pretty much any 700c (same as ETRTO 622) tires. It's more convenient to have an extra wheelset you can swap when you need studs, but it's not necessary.
>>
File: download.jpg (29KB, 420x250px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
29KB, 420x250px
I ride a norco storm 9.1, this will be my first winter with it but I'm confident I shouldn't have any problems. I have 29's x 2.10 it's a sweet ride depending on the winter I may or may not get a studded front tire.
>>
>>890505
Oh nice, I'll just get a set of tyres with studs then, and maybe get some wider wheels next year for them when I have saved up a bit more money.
>>
>>890511
If you mean wider rims, I don't think it's necessary for the kind of tires that bike will fit, unless you want a spare wheel set. I've run 35mm tires on narrow road bike rims for years with no problems and I think the first 26" mountain bike rims were re-rolled MA2s.

>>890509
Get studs and do donuts on frozen ponds, it's fun.
>>
File: DSC00233-M.jpg (92KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00233-M.jpg
92KB, 600x450px
>>890531
>Get studs
this

they're a lot of fun

>pic related

a track on the back and a ski on the front is a lot of fun in snow too
>>
Hey guys I have a related question

Its spring and the snow melt is melting on mountain roads where I want to go /out/ to, but I'm worried that the roads will still be icy and my 23c tiers will just loose their shit.

Should I use a mountain bike instead? Or get some wider tiers?
>>
>>890742
Depends on how icy it actually is, but the more rubber on the ground the better, so wider and lower pressure is good (I don't even like 23s in the rain). Also don't try to brake, pedal or steer if you do hit an ice patch. Just coast straight until you're over it. A mountain bike might help if you put 2" slicks on it but knobbies can be more slippery on smooth ice because there's less surface contact.

If you don't want studs and you have the clearance there is also this tire (I never tried it myself though): https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5028-161/Top-Contact-Winter-II-700-x-37-Tire
>>
>>890785
>A mountain bike might help if you put 2" slicks on
What I'm assuming here, since you mentioned 23s, is you're going on a road ride so you want road tires, but there might be ice patches from melt/freeze, or maybe some old hardpack snow.
>>
I rode on snow, ice, slush, refrozen snow, wet snow, winter mix, and low level hail with a cheap old mountainbike just fine. Stop being a fag. On straights you are fine, only on turns is there risk, so merely slow down. Also fishtailing is fun fun fun~ puts the hair on your chest.

>>890785
>Just coast straight until you're over it.

This, same for cars. If you freak out like a tard you will crash, so keep composure.
>>
>>890980
>I rode on snow, ice, slush, refrozen snow, wet snow, winter mix, and low level hail with a cheap old mountainbike just fine. Stop being a fag.
But I'm not buying a mountainbike, I'm buying a hybrid that's closer to a cyclocross than a mountainbike.
>>
Studded Husker Du's in winter
Surly Black Floyds in summer

my fatbike outruns all but the Lanciest of Armstrongs
>>
>>/n/
>>
Any MTB with studs really.

I have a GT Avalanche with studs that I use for winter, it has a shit suspension fork but when it drops down cold enough, it's virtually a rigid fork.
>>
>>890404
You should use thin tires, not wide
>>
>>896615
wrong
>>
>>890404
>The downside is you look retarded
and they are overpriced
>>
File: wrong.png (22KB, 139x141px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.png
22KB, 139x141px
>>896904
forgot pic
>>
File: 2016-11-09 09.29.35.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-09 09.29.35.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>890399
Stockholm here. I just switched to studded tires when the snowcannons hit a couple of weeks ago. It was very doable with spikes, could ride almost everywhere just fine (getting through 40cm of loose snow didn't work), Hardest was actually when it started to melt again, and it was hard to see the hard icy tracks under the slushy half molten snow. I ride a simple mountainbike.

Pic related, mah trusty steel steed
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.