[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone /bikepacking/ here ? Redpill me pls. I am an avid overlander/mountain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13

File: marin-pine-mountain-2-24.jpg (328KB, 1480x987px) Image search: [Google]
marin-pine-mountain-2-24.jpg
328KB, 1480x987px
Anyone /bikepacking/ here ?

Redpill me pls. I am an avid overlander/mountain biker but bikepacking is new to me.
>>
I'd be down to try too, but initial investment puts me off. Also leaving all your shit on your bike when you're in the pub or in the shops.

I suppose if you're already a lightweight fag the transition wouldn't be too bad.
>>
>>889828
>mad max bike
>>
>>889835
i think the point is to mostly stay on trails and camp not bar hop...
i see your point though. but thats not a reasn for me not to do it
>>
File: IMG_0480.jpg (2MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0480.jpg
2MB, 1920x1440px
>>889828
Figure out what you need to survive on a day to day basis. Tent, sleeping bag, mattress. Be as minimal as possible. I personally don't bother bringing along a stove. There are websites like bikepacking.com that have routes and guides. The GDMBR is an obvious route choice. If your bike has rack mounts you can use panniers, they are a bit heavier but nicer to use.
>>
File: 20161003_101325.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161003_101325.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Because 40lbs in gear over hundreds of miles is easy and doable. You can buy cheaper, not-so-light gear and also bring along modern conveniences that carrying on your back wouldn't be possible.

Plus a bike is faster when fleeing from a bear.
>>
File: 20161004_071126.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161004_071126.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>889912

My bike is a Mad Max bike.

OP ask me questions, I regularly go for 3+ day trips on my fatbike loaded with gear.
>>
What do you bring to eat? I'm looking for something that's light but filling, myself.
>>
Also, what site can I find a nice pannier selection on?
>>
>>890127
>fatbikes
literally why though
>>
>>890206
i had a mukluk
fat bikes are totally overrated for snow capabilities and underrated for fun factor in the summer

fat bikes are still only good on basically stuff like snow mobile trails and hard pack with only a tiny amount of powder on top if you have any sort of grades to go up or else its hike a bike

29+ makes way more sense to me now, they are just as useful on hardpack and groomed stuff and not slow as shit

I compared times of a hill that had about 500 feet of gain near me on my cyclocross bike and the fat bike when I had it, it took me 6 minutes on my cross bike and 18 minutes on my fat bike when running pressures you use in the winter.
>>
File: DSC00106.jpg (4MB, 3952x2224px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00106.jpg
4MB, 3952x2224px
>>890206
It's a trade-off of speed + efficiency for the ability to go anywhere. When I tour I pick the least travelled routes because they offer better scenery, easier stealth camping, and are safer. I have done 100 km on a loaded up fat bike and it's not as bad as you think.
>>
File: 20161104_185541.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161104_185541.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
if you like cycling bikepacking it's great. i travel mostly alone and ther feeling of pedalling to nowhere is almost zen.
i only hate to ride very busy roads, but sometimes you have to go through them to get to nice, quiet and peaceful paths.
i travel with paniers, a small optimus 8R stove and a light tent.
i have this amazing Moss tent i bought in '93, and it's still giving me incredible results.
this pic is from last weekend, a short trip just to escape from town, but i do long trips almost every summer, and mid trips in winter.
never tryed a fatbike, they seem fun
>>
>>890164
>Plus a bike is faster when fleeing from a bear.
not fast enough except downhill
>>
>>889828
i want to bikepack but my dog outgrew her basket and a decent dog trailer is like $400
>>
File: 20160912-scan306.jpg (621KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20160912-scan306.jpg
621KB, 1000x1000px
>>889828
YES YES YES

Denver, CO here. haven't done any thru-bikes yet, but plenty of weekend jaunts.
>>
File: Sultry Softcover Storage 02.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Sultry Softcover Storage 02.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>890203
>>890205

Amazon - buy freeze dried food, or dehydrated food, or just go to a grocery store and buy stuff like trail mix, cous cous, and other quick meals.

I personally go to Big Lots and get these Tandori heat N eat meals. Yes they weigh more because they have liquid but on a bike it's not that big a deal and you needed water to rehydrate a meal anyways. I just can't "drink" my heat n eats if im dying of thirst. I add cous cous / instant brown rice / clear bean noodles and i bring a weekly pill container filled with different spices.

Amazon - I use Avenir panniers. They were cheap, I own four and have loaded them up, hung them from trees, beat them on rocks and never had a tear. To make them waterproof I use a ForceFlex trash bag inside each one. I use lots of plastic bags as scent barriers and to compartmentalize because bags are light and reusable.
>>
File: Trip Across Florida 07.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Trip Across Florida 07.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>890236

I wont argue with 29+ being the new fat as there's very few situations where a fatbike is needed over just a 3" knobby tread tire like on a Surly ECR...

HOWEVER

Fatbikes have a level of cushion and forgiveness to riding on them. They also give me maximum smiles per hour on the trail and in the rare event I want to interact with other humans I encounter, it is quite a conversation starter.

Having a fatbike roll onto someones property to request a water top-off has probably saved me from getting shot many a-time. They are just too baffled with the sight to pull the trigger :)

To each his own. Some people ride recumbent bikes, some ride tandems. There is no "perfect" bike, only the one that you enjoy the most. i am sure the new owner of your Muk is having a blast somewhere.
>>
>>892087

>le fat tire meme

I'll make sure to laugh at you if I ever see you on the canal
>>
File: kona.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
kona.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
Probably best to ask on both /n/ and /out/ to get the right hardware for both aspects

Figure out your specific sizing for bikes; this is probably the single most important thing you can do if you plan to use the bike often
>Asking frame material advice will create civil war in threads, steel is real, all else are imposters
>Avoid Surly and Rivendell as well as any other bike (or frame) manufacturer that does not offer lifetime warranty, you do not want to get meme'd
>Mechanical disc brakes
>No fat tires but definitely not 23mm
>Weight balance is very important
>Bike tool kit will be specific/unique to your bike/setup but there are lots of common tools like allen keys and patch kits
>Create your own bike bags or buy overpriced but quality Revelate design/similar (most are not waterproof, a drybag inside for clothes will do fine)

You can feel free to ask any questions, I will do my best to answer when I can

Have some OC
>>
>>892087
That has to be like 150 lbs of suffering.
>>
>>892165

I rode 700 miles in 7 days on it. I must be a self-hating masochist v0v
>>
>>890166
Im not op but is your frame steel or alloy? What would be better for this or doesny it matter?
>>
>>889828
Does anyone ever bike pack on a CX bike? Just got one and with the bike packs that they're now making and rear pannies I could throw on, its conceivable to do it
>>
>>892859
There's no reason you can't. Go for it dude. Get out there.
>>
>>892859

>>892164
That is a CX
>>
File: 1.jpg (948KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
948KB, 1200x900px
>>892859
That's what I would use if I were going to bikepack, you can still cover a lot of ground without giving up much capability.
>>
>>892164
>>Asking frame material advice will create civil war in threads, steel is real, all else are imposters
What
>Mechanical disc brakes
Double what
>>
File: Just Bought, Time To Clean 04.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Just Bought, Time To Clean 04.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>892850

2013 Surly Moonlander.

It's Steel. Double Butted. It has some frame flex (side to side) when loaded heavily on the front and rear rack. I could fix that by using lower center of gravity racks / panniers or by not loading the front end with heavy crap.

The benefits of steel vs alloy:
- Has some "flex" to it that absorbs some bumps / vibration.
- If you ding or dent it, your frame isn't completely compromised, structurally.
- in the rare event something does brake on the frame, any shop with a welder can fix it for a beer and a $5.
- it's not heavier than alloy because it needs less material to achieve the same structural strength.
- cheaper than alloys, usually.
- wont strip out threads (if your frame has any) as easily. Ex. being the derailleur hanger mount but it's not a huge advantage.
>>
File: 1463558344971.png (226KB, 468x345px) Image search: [Google]
1463558344971.png
226KB, 468x345px
>Yfw steel is an alloy
>>
>>893592

Just using the terminology of the person asking the question. Next time i'll just ask for clarification as to what "alloy" they meant (I assumed aluminum).

Of course there's no steel on the periodic table but when people talk about steel vs aluminum, they usually call it just "steel". 4130 CroMoly steel to be exact, which hints as to what actual elements from the periodic table it may be comprised from.

any /out/ user is going to know this, as there's enough knife threads to drown the board.
>>
>>889828
Done some bikepacking this year over 10 days and 600km. I used only rear packs, 15L each,. one stored hammocks, tools amd shit for two people, other pack stored mostly food, maps, water for next 12/24 hours, since no more need for longer periods in Europe. Rented some pretty generic mtb.

I plan to retire my winter bike next year, there is plenty of salt and snow in Northern Europe to rust anything. Maybe I will get decent steel MTB I can transform for weekend adventures/north pole rides. 7-10 gears are plenty for flat terrain, disc brakes is a must, wide tires while not comfy on pavement is fine for snow/beach/forest. UL packing is a must, not to tug all life savings as some some middle-aged German
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.