[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to live and achieve the /out/ dream? Has anyone here succeeded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: outdream.jpg (316KB, 1548x618px) Image search: [Google]
outdream.jpg
316KB, 1548x618px
How to live and achieve the /out/ dream? Has anyone here succeeded in living on your own innawoods? If so, how did you accomplish this?
>>
probably the majority of the world still lives /out/. you chose pop culture resources instead of learning from people that live off the land everyday of every generation of their time. truthfully western academia has only recently been able to comprehensively replicate the livelihoods of simpler livers, through visual anthropology

agriculture isnt the science or act of growing, it's very literally the culture
>>
>>889662
Where do I go to learn from natives that won't murder me? Or any good resources I can access online?
>>
The faggotry here became palpable in an impressively small number of posts! You two deserve an award.
>>
Unless you're rich you can't legally live an /out/ life. You need to buy land. Then pay taxes for the land. Then build a house/cabin there. Then pay for all the tools and equipment that you will need to maintain your /out/ life. Anyone on here who says you can do it without having a ton of money is a lying shill.

http://blog.landsofamerica.com/buying-land/how-much-is-one-acre-of-land-worth.html
You will need a small fortune to get the land for your dream cabin. And those are public land properties. If you want to go innawoods then double that price. Then you need to have a vehicle that can take you to town to get supplies (you can say now that you will live self reliant but it won't happen.) Which means you will need a preserve of cash for things like gas and oil/food/clothing.

If you want to live innawoods in a cabin then expect to pay more than you would for a small mansion. Save up about $300,000 and talk to property owners to get an idea of what you will go through.
t. someone that owns land and actually knows how this shit goes.
>>
>>889691
Thanks for the post, I figured it would cost a few hundred thousand dollars to actually turn this dream into a reality.

Would you mind sharing more insight about living innawoods on your own land since you seem to be in that situation? How did you manage to get where you are?
>>
>>889693
I grew up spending 4 months a year in a cabin in central Cali. My grandparents built it in their 30's and got the land for a few hundred dollars.
The cabin was inhospitable in 2007 so we scrapped it and then sold the land. I took my share and started flipping plots all over southern Usa. I bought when the prices were low and sold the land to both park service and people that bought it to make camping sites.
I didn't actually buy land for myself until 2 years ago. I bought 7 acres in northern Ohio on the outskirts of a state park. If you build IN a state park then they limit you on trapping/hunting/harvesting and tree cutting. If I were in their area I could only cut trees for firewood and use it for nothing else.
I built a hunting cabin for just under $20,000 and insulated it myself.
I cut my own firewood in the summer and it's ready by winter. I trap the local coyote/fox for meat and their hides. As much as I would love to live in the cabin year round it just isn't possible. I go to town once every week for supplies like bread/gas/preserves/oil/vegetables. I spend more money at the cabin than I do living in the suburbs. Winter and summer will do a number on you if you are there alone. People think that when you are innawoods you will be too busy to get lonely but that isn't true. A few months of the year when you are trapping and have preserves and resources you will spend hours every day by yourself bored as hell. I had to get a dog to counter this.
It's rough out here is all I can really say.
>>
>>889707
>I bought 7 acres in northern Ohio on the outskirts of a state park
Which state park?
>>
>>889711
Hueston woods.
>>
>>889713
Wait, I used to live by there and that definitely far south in Ohio
>>
>>889707
>People think that when you are innawoods you will be too busy to get lonely but that isn't true. A few months of the year when you are trapping and have preserves and resources you will spend hours every day by yourself bored as hell. I had to get a dog to counter this.
>It's rough out here is all I can really say.

How old are you? Aside from your visits to town for supplies, how often do you see other people? Have any neighbors close by?

And thanks for the info. What kind of crops do you grow? Would you be willing to share any relevant pics you have?
>>
>>889713
This isn't me btw. Hueston isn't even close to where I'm at. I own land on the border to Indian Point nature preserve.
>>889715
I'm 25. I see people when I go to town or when I walk a few miles into the park onto the public trails. No neighbors but the parks department have a few cabins within 10 miles of me. I don't grow any crops but I want to start growing potato/peppers/squash. When I get home from work I will post some pics I took last season.
>>
>>889691
Or you can buy a small, remote parcel adjoined by state or federal land and either build your own damn cabin or tow in a meme house.

Also, nice assumption that /out/ means off the grid without a source of income.
>>
File: IMG_0851.jpg (46KB, 450x339px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0851.jpg
46KB, 450x339px
>>889660
>start doing crack and heroin
>get addicted and steal from you're parents to feed the habit
>get kicked out of house
>be homeless addicted to crack and heroin
>sleep in forest preserve in major city so you are still close enough to stores to steal from, pawn shops, and drug dealers
>???
>profit!
>>
>>889660
step 1: stop living in your head.
step 2: go out and do it.

Of course it requires compromise, obviously, unless you're a millionnaire.
And If you aren't ready to make sacrifices, then stay in your head and keep dreaming.
>>
>>889718
>When I get home from work I will post some pics I took last season.

K.. KEEP ME POSTED
>>
File: fBrgPXB.png (99KB, 320x246px) Image search: [Google]
fBrgPXB.png
99KB, 320x246px
The only way most of can achieve this is to pool our resources .
I don't see why we cant all work together on a semi sustainable compound.
>>
>>889691
What's the point of going off grid if you're gonna do it legally? Just print out the info you'll need, buy some books, seeds and some tools, then simply go somewhere remote as fuck, build your cabin, hunt, farm, fish, etc...
Then die of cancer by age 40 or return to civilization when you start missing the memes.
>>
>>890089
If we went off grid in a group, and the first scout team set up WiFi in camp, no one would have to miss any memes.
>>
>>890098
We'd need a couple of boy sluts otherwise it would never work out.
>>
>>890077
The whole point is to get away from people, why would I want to live in a commune with them, especially the kind of people that browse this website?
>>
>>889718
You still here?
>>
File: IMG_20161030_162412.jpg (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161030_162412.jpg
2MB, 1440x2560px
Be me,
>3 years ago June, living in motorhome outside of leased apartment I sublet out. 7k saved up working at a restaurant and loading trucks
>aquire 5 acres of steep hill, 20k flat. Just under 22k after paying the lawyer
>now work maintenance, wageslave for 39k a year for corporate giant
>build 96 sq foot tiny house on 12 x 12 platform just under super strict requirements
>shower at work, slyly play along like I'm a normie

3 years in just finished going in with a friend on a 1 ton and a 1200 dollar backhoe we fixed up. Next summer will be a garage, then bigger cabin.

It can be done. Ive been largely drunk and high the whole time. No prior building experience, just overdid everything. An address that's not a p o box is hard.
>>
>>891177
Is that a Norwegian Elkpupper I spy?
>>
File: IMG_20161030_131407.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161030_131407.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>891191

It's a kitty. An ex (were on very good terms, turns out she likes girls) stopped by and she had enough confidence that her and her cats travelled as a pack she just let em roam around the woods. One took off for hours, and the other just kinda chilled with me all day.

Probably the best thing ever. Closest thing to a soulmate I've found. Alas, I leave too many oil lamps and candles going to risk having a kitty with the cabin this small still.
>>
>>891177
>>891177
How much were you making from the sublet?
How much were your weekly expenses while living in the motorhome?
Where did the remaining 15k come from?

Congratulations for living the dream, despite the skeptics here.
>>
>>891201
>turns out she likes girls
Ahahaha cucked by a dyke.
>>
>>891289

Came from a loan, couldn't borrow against the land though through most banks which made it hard.

I straight broke even/lost a little on the sublet. In the summers I was out and about, would live in my work's parking lot but around Thanksgiving Id always end up back at the house. I split the bills 3 ways with the 2 guys living there, paid 100 a month to keep everyone happy.

Since I did it without paperwork I ate 700 bucks of rent 2 months too, that didn't help anything.

Costs were pretty low. When your a cook you eat for free, and I'm kinda stingy.

I had a pretty steady mountain bike habit that took a lotta dollars at the time though.
>>
>>891350
Seems like something I could do, except living off resturaunt food.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.
>>
>>891350
I've had some dreams of doing this too, gotta say- I'm impressed. A few questions-

1. What's the land like? Does it have road access? Any water sources? Nosy neighbors/trespassers who are assholes? What's tax like? Did you move far?

2. Do you have/what are some improvements you want to make? Any plans for the land?

3. What do you do when you're not at work?

4. What would you do differently if you found yourself back in June of 3 years ago?

I know it's a lot, but you've got me interested.
>>
>>891555
>>891555

It's real narrow and steep. Dirt road, poer when I want to hook up. Plans for septic, perc test and all that. It's zoned you need 5 acres to build with at least 300 feet of road frontage so thats what I have.

I wrench on shit. Race rallycross, ride bikes. Current kick is tractor with a backhoe a friend and I bought. I want to make a garage which involves a lot of sitework.

All in all I want a garage, cabin with current tiny house set on top, and a guest tepee as well as a few tiered camping spots/racecar storage areas on the side of the hill.

Not break my collarbone into 4 pieces 3 days before closing.

A pickaxe is a little harsh on a plate and 13 screws in a shoulder. Wasn't out of a sling till September. Drank a lot. The PT lady knew something was up but couldn't stop it. I did "improve rapidly"

Pic is early driveway stages
>>
My town is super safe, but neighboring areas can have problems.

A couple hours away you start to struggle to get police response and shit. They want proof before they come up.

I always have known this would end up fun, it really is finally bordering on real awesome with this machine. We bought a one ton dump too from 85 so lots of fun to be had.

Thank you for the flattery anon, not everyone appreciates being a dirtbag in the woods.
>>
>>889662
>agriculture isnt the science or act of growing, it's very literally the culture
Good stuff
>>
>>892096
Thanks for the reply anon. As a bikebro, I understand the wrenching and desire for a garage. Gotta say, I had a nasty compound on my collarbone and I feel for you. No metal for me, but my shoulder has never been the same.
>>
I live on an organic farm in a repurposed chicken shed if that counts for anything

I've been learning a lot about agriculture and homesteading for a small family, plus have picked up a few handy skills here like basic carpentry, spot welding, clothing repair, etc

I've got a pretty well paying job back at home so my general plan is to save all my money from work when I go back, buy a small bit of land (maybe 1-5 acres) and start a homestead. It's more manageable, is kind of /out/, and will allow me to provide for my family and friends while being mostly self sufficient

Have you guys seen that movie "Captain Fantastic"? It's a pretty good inspiration
>>
>>889660
I'm quite content by continuing in the footsteps of my parents and grandparents and keeping farming part of life but as a means of additional profit and a greater level of self-sufficiency while still being a part of society.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.