[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Might be a long shot but anyone familiar with the Black Forest?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Might be a long shot but anyone familiar with the Black Forest? I just got stationed in Germany at Ramstein and we have a three day weekend for Veterans Day so I haven't had time to plan. Anyone recommend some good parks, or specific train stations that I should aim for to go on a day hike? And for the future is there any must see areas for the winter since that's coming?
>>
If you really want to go to the Black Forest, you could head down to one of the towns around the Titisee. I went to Breitnau with my in-laws last year and hiked the Wutachschlucht and we had a blast. There are a lot of ski slopes around there, too (like the Feldberg) if you go in wintertime.
>>
It's probably a bit late in the year to enjoy it fully. Many trees will already have lost their leaves.
>>
>>889366
Breitnau, got it, I'll look into it. I can find big trails easy enough, but just finding little 5-10km things to hike over the course of a day is like pulling teeth! All the German nationals in the shop are violently anti-outdoors so they don't know of anything down there.

>>889367
Yeah I missed it by a few weeks, but I'm from the northeast US so I went back on leave right at the perfect time before coming here so it works out.
>>
>>889308
Sadly enough, it's quite difficult to experience really remote places in Germany. I really envy everyone from places like the US, but what can you expect from 80 Million people living in an area half as big as Texas...
Nevertheless, if walking for days in end without seeing anyone isn't a must-have for you, there are still some very nice Out-places. My personal favourites would be the German Alps or the Bavarian or Thuringian forests, especially during winter.
>>
>>889392
This is why I really want to get up north and see Norway, I love getting out and being alone in nature. With hiking buddies of course since going out alone is stupid. A night spent alone in the woods with a broken ankle in the rain was no fun. Plus I've never seen the northern lights.
>>
>>889308
Ameriburger married to a Black Forest chick, here.

The unfortunate reality is that you will find the Black Forest to be a cheesy tourist trap wherever you go. Sure...there are pockets here and there and some great hikes, but most villages are utter shit with "authentic" food made with cheap ingredients and most landmarks require a fee to see.

A few things worth seeing though:
Neuschwanstein Castle (the fucking chambers are worth a visit)
Andech's Monestary/Brewery (very very good, hearty Bavarian foods)
Mercedez Museum
BMW Museum
Porsche Museum
Nurburgring

Stay classy, faggot.
>>
Local German guy here,

try the Hunsrück forest. Pretty remote, beautiful and just about 1-2 hours away from Ramstein
>>
>>889986
I never really understood the black forest appeal. I mean, I spent more time there than any other outdoorsy area, but there are higher mountains and more beautiful forests.
>>
>>890006
Not many in germany though. The black forest is one of the largest forest areas that remain in germany, most of them have been chopped down in the last three hundred or so years. When schiller, goethe and whatnot wrote about the beautiful german forest it was largely imagination, not much remained of it when they were born.
>>
>>889308
What was your last duty station/afsc?

It won't help I'm just curious
>>
I am very fond of the ham
>>
>>889392
You won't find solitude on a level that you would find in the American high desert or even the Smokies. What you will find is places where you can be in the middle of a major city, travel 10 miles, and be in the wilderness again. There is nowhere near as much sprawl as there is in the States. The wilderness areas are also disproportionately empty due to the fact that so many people are, as you said, violently anti-outdoors.

FWIW Mecklenburg-Pomerania is the most sparsely populated state; that's where German special forces, etc. go for training.
>>
I was born at Lanstuhl, and lived in Reichenbach, and visited twice a number of years ago. Beautiful forests.

I still have a birth certificate from W. Germany- could I get free healthcare in my old age?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.