[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get my first bow, what do you guys recommend? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: 841_2_20150712121703.jpg (32KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
841_2_20150712121703.jpg
32KB, 1200x1200px
I want to get my first bow, what do you guys recommend?

How much weight should i get? I lift and my back is p strong
>>
>>886171
At least 40# to hunt. Get a compound bow for ease of use.
>>
>>886174
i would, but compounds are much more expensive then the recurve ones (at least on my country)

I was thinking in getting pic related, it detaches in three parts. it is any good?
>>
>>886176
>I was thinking in getting pic related, it detaches in three parts. it is any good?

Looks like rubbish but can barely tell without the maker?
>>
>>886171
Samick Sage
>>
>>886171
Get a 50lb recurve, the first recurve i got when i was 16 was 50lb and it only took me a week or so to get used to the draw weight, go lower if it's just for target shooting, no use fucking up your back for no reason
>>
What bow is best for shooting a Pepsi, PSE? Matthews? Bear?
>>
40-50 pound

Samick
PSE

I can recommend those

>>886883

Do you mean a can?

A 30 pound target bow will shoot through a can all day
>>
>>886171
Just get a goddamn 35# Sammick Sage. It's cheap, idiot-proof and you'll probably be able to re-sell it if and when you upgrade.
>>
File: 20160906_152710.jpg (983KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160906_152710.jpg
983KB, 2560x1440px
S A G E
A
G
E
My 45#. Its the tits
>>
>>886171
Don't buy a first bow above 35# or 40# if you are /fit/. First you'll need to master the technique and if you are struggling with your bow, you'll never get the right stance, drawing technique, etc.
>>886174
40# is fucking nothing for hunting, a 50# recurve bow is barely enough to hunt reliably with, you don't want to cripple an animal because of a weak bow, it would be a needless cause of suffering.
Better hunting bows are at least 70# compounds, they are a lot more functional.

And no, pic related doesn't really seem ok.
>>
>>888715
>40# is fucking nothing for hunting, a 50# recurve bow is barely enough to hunt reliably with, you don't want to cripple an animal because of a weak bow, it would be a needless cause of suffering.
>Better hunting bows are at least 70# compounds, they are a lot more functional.

I bet you think that 7mm mag is the bare minimum for deer hunting, too.
>>
>>889059
Good luck hunting deer with a 40# bow. The best you can reliably kill with that power is a fox.
>>
>>889198
Yeah, those woodland Indians didn't know shit. It's still a mystery to this day how they avoided starving to death when their arrows would simply bounce off of anything larger than a chipmunk.
>>
>>889483
They were great hunters. But they also got really close to their prey, thats why they used #40 bows
>>
>>886171
Samick Sage, I love mine.
>>
I fell for the get a 30# bow samick sage bow , can't I just get 50+# arms and just put them on?
>>
>>886176
does your country have craigslist or something like it? or pawn shops? used compound bows are super cheap and much better than a new recurve of the same price
>>
>>886171
just started shooting at a range recently (recurve only)
pretty fun
anyone have any tips for consistent shots? anchor point placement?
>>
>>890614
yes
>>
>>890770
Is this a meme too?
>>
>>889198
shot placement is king
>>
>>886171
>>886176

This is good advice >>888715

Buy a recurve riser that is 17-21" long and can accept ILF limbs, then buy a pair of 30# long limbs. This allows you to get the most limb options for your bow without being limited to manufacturer only limbs, which is better for customising and upgrading in the future.

>>890753
This guy is one of the best out there for recurve shooting advice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5iuKmSBVlk

>>886222
>>887038
>>887239
>>888550
>>890195
>>890614
Wrong, don't listen to them
>>
>>890753
i have the thumb alligned with the jaw bone and the index finger at corner of the mouth

there are many ways of shooting; this is what i do:
feet parallel to target, shoulders in line, loose grip with not more than two fingers (open hand is also possible), core tension for stability, exhale while drawing, bring your shoulder blades together, inhale and keep the air for stability, release softly in line to your shoulder
concentrate on target while doing this
>>
Can we all agree that unless you are literally surviving in the outdoors there is absolutely no reason to use anything but a compound?
>>
>>891168
>>
>>891168
>>891185
>I don't actually enjoy shooting my bow
>>
>>890857
>>890853
Thanks guys I'll bring this to the range.
>>
is it true need to get a bow for the type of grip you'll use?
a split finger bow or a three under bow?
i thought you could use either one
>>
>>892516
Split finger & 3 under are your finger placement on the bowstring. Once you nock an arrow you place your index above the nock and middle & string below the nock when you go to draw(split finger). On 3 below you place all 3 fingers about 3 fingerlengths below the nocked arrow. From my understanding the 3 below is used for short distance shooting (>10m)
>>
>>892682
*middle & ring
>>
>>892682
i tried using three under to see which placement i liked more then i was told i must use split finger because that bow was made for split finger placement. i just wanted to know why bows have to be specially made for certain finger placements
>>
>>892767
They're not. You can build bows with minor asymmetry to make that particular draw function better but by and large there's very little difference.
>>
>>892682

3 under isn't so much only for short range shooting as it is better at it than split finger if you're gap shooting because you can get a closer point-on range, i.e. point-on for split finger is usually 60+ yards, whereas mine shooting 3 under is 30 yards.
>>
>>889483
I think the other lad was talking more about the suffering of the animal.
No doubt an arrow coming of a bow that's 40# will sink into the animal, but it might be more desirable to use something stronger
>>
>>893003
No, he said "reliably kill" and a 40lb. bow will certainly "reliably kill" anything deer-sized or smaller at typical ranges.

Is the margin for error a bit too slim for the comfort of modern hunters? Absolutely. I don't use anything less than 50lb. for hunting myself and my current bow actually draws about 60lb. @ 29". That doesn't mean that lighter bows haven't been getting shit done for tens of thousands of years.
>>
>>890853
If I am 6' 4" does the 17-21 rule apply?

What brand/where can I get a good recurve riser? What are good starting arrows?
>>
>>886171
Just make one out of PVC and Spectra-type fishing line.
>>
>>891168
Unless it's a survival situation, you bring a .357/.38 revolver, or a .30-06 rife.

Or just a cheap bolt-action .22 rife/target pistol, and two boxes of 500 rounds, which will fit neatly in any pack.
>>
>>893369
whats the 17-21 rule?

what is your draw length and weight?
how much do you want to spend?

if you dont want to spend much, take a look at the samick polaris because they come in bigger bow lengths (up to 70 inch) or a samick journey (64 inch).

id take carbon arrows; they need to be right in length, spine and weight for your bow though.
>>
File: FalmerBow.png (963KB, 1373x1291px) Image search: [Google]
FalmerBow.png
963KB, 1373x1291px
Good bow
>>
File: ImperialBow.png (77KB, 735x980px) Image search: [Google]
ImperialBow.png
77KB, 735x980px
>>894273
Good bow
>>
File: Daedricbowskinned.png (223KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Daedricbowskinned.png
223KB, 1000x1000px
>>894274
Best bow
>>
>>893610
I have no idea what my draw length is.
Money is no object, as I can save up.

I'll take a look at the samick models you mentioned.
>>
I want a bow I can survive in the wild with.
Something practical and sturdy that i could fashion arrows for with local resources. Any suggestions?
>>
File: anchor-nose.jpg (131KB, 588x431px) Image search: [Google]
anchor-nose.jpg
131KB, 588x431px
>>894678
take a tape measure and pretend to be drawing an imaginary arrow

measure the distance from the fist of your slightly bend left arm to your anchor point somewhere in your face; fe right corner of the lips

a little less of that distance will be your draw length
>>
>>895361
>TFW just did this.
>TFW Draw Length is 31".
>TFW you can shoot fucking War Bows without issue.

Need to start lifting.
>>
>>886171
What kind of bow is that in the picture!?!
>>
Build you own. Hella fun, plus it'll cost you less than $25.

Buy The Bowyer's Bible, the book is godly
>>
>>886171
I went with a craigslist now for my first got an old panther Martin compound for like $50 it's heavey but accurate and accepts modern accessories
>>
I want a bow but I dont hunt. I dont know what I would do with it. Any compelling reasons to buy one anyways?
>>
>>896177
Doing my first bow atm. I was going to do just a simple longbow, but I bumped into a suprise branch hole. Luckily its like 20cm from the top end, so the whole bow isn't ruined, but it's not gonna be a longbow. Now aiming for a 35-pound-ish target practice bow. Should go get a new staff for my father-in-laws birthday present
>>
File: OMP-Explorer-2.0.jpg (14KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
OMP-Explorer-2.0.jpg
14KB, 350x350px
I got my girlfriend a 32# OMP explorer online for $99. Shoots pretty well, and is pretty sturdy. Its taking a beating over the last couple years, but still shoots outstanding for the price.
I'd go with that, maybe a 40# for you, but I wouldn't go higher until basics are down. If you decide you want to further your skills after that, you can just buy stronger limbs that you can attach.
>>
>>896215
the sounds that occur when shooting a good bow are pretty pleasing
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.