[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where can I move to where I can buy a house for <$250K that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: 6884841184.jpg (110KB, 1200x510px) Image search: [Google]
6884841184.jpg
110KB, 1200x510px
Where can I move to where I can buy a house for <$250K that is far from neighbors but still accessible to high speed internet? Was thinking Southwest Michigan or Kentucky.
>>
San Francisco or New York.
Just stay there and never leave.
>>
>>883638
I don't intend on moving west of I-35 and I don't like the state tax rate in New York.

>inb4 some meme were full autists

Please post that on Reddit.
>>
>>883635
How far is far?
>>
>>883641
Michigan.

At least there you'd stay in yankeeland.
>>
File: i-93xrgnJ-L.jpg (75KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-93xrgnJ-L.jpg
75KB, 338x600px
>>883635
>still accessible to high speed internet
if you've got line-of-sight to somewhere with internet, $500 gets you a pair of radios and dishes to shoot ~30 miles.

Pretty easy to get 30-50mbps over a ptp wireless link.
>>
>>883635
You're thinking of Minnesota my friend
>>
>>883747
I think the company ubiquiti makes equipment for this specifically
>>
File: DSC_4015_-L.jpg (49KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4015_-L.jpg
49KB, 800x533px
>>883850
that's what 2 of the 3 dishes visible in that pic are
as well as the AP's in my house that i'm using right now

Bullet and Rocket series for the WISP/long-range radio stuff; I'm running a couple AP-AC-LR's in my house for wifi.

Mikrotik makes some radios that work well for shorter-haul links (10-30 miles), and their routerboards are tough to beat for the money.
>>
>>883857

Sounds baller. Would like to learn more, any tutorials out there?

Quick thoughts:
What concerns does this have as far as federal radio frequency restrictions?
On the supply end, what is required?
Have you heard of any companies (ISPs?) offering this service?
>>
File: i-HrKSxWH-L.jpg (76KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-HrKSxWH-L.jpg
76KB, 800x451px
>>883867
Learn computer networking. That's really all radio networks are. IP's, subnetting, routing tables.
On the equipment side... in a traditional wired network, you've got some sort of wired connection (cat5, coax, fibre) between two pieces of equipment (like routers or switches).
In a radio network, you replace that cable with a microwave radio at each end. There's some configuration on the radio, but once the connection's established, it's not much different to the router than a cable is.

There's "licensed" and "unlicensed" bands. WiFi runs in the 2.4GHz unlicensed band. Some of these radios can run in the 2.4 and 5GHz unlicensed band... but you're competing with other unlicensed users and a higher noise floor (typically not a problem with quiet sites and good dishes). Licensed bands require a license (obviously), but in general you get a better link because you're in a quieter portion of the spectrum. Commercial license lets you do whatever you want on your coordinated frequency, public safety's basically the same rules. Amateur has a different set of rules to abide by, and no encryption/security is allowed.

Supply end, you're talking about power? Typically just a POE injector in the doghouse, through a transtector for lightning protection, then Cat5E FTP running up the tower. Same goes for cameras on the towers.

Most sites are both 120v (typically 90-100v) AC and 12/24V DC.
AC powers the equipment and battery charger/maintainer... if that fails, the equipment switches over to the DC side.

There's a lot of wireless ISPs that build a similar system, except instead of handling radio, camera, and control traffic, they handle customer broadband connections.
>>
File: 2014 Internet Map.jpg (93KB, 964x577px) Image search: [Google]
2014 Internet Map.jpg
93KB, 964x577px
>>883635
>Was thinking Southwest Michigan or Kentucky.

Well, you don't want Kentucky.
>>
>>884086
>2014
>>
File: hillbilly-jim.jpg (149KB, 460x644px) Image search: [Google]
hillbilly-jim.jpg
149KB, 460x644px
>>884094

Yes, I'm sure Kentucky is way better two years later...
>>
File: basicwisp.png (98KB, 622x464px) Image search: [Google]
basicwisp.png
98KB, 622x464px
Low population density and high speed wired internet are mostly mutually exclusive but WISPs are a good alternative to the usual crappy internet service in rural areas. Trick is not every area has a WISP and which properties can be serviced depends on geography. But for those plots of land where it works, it's a great way of being connected at high speed without needing to be squished into a city. I've been thinking about starting up a WISP in the mountains of north Georgia but don't want to invest capital into something that's likely to be outdone in half a decade or so by LEO or atmospheric internet.
>>
>>883635
Huh. I didn't know you could make McMansions out of logs.
>>
File: en_tam_ext_site_lt.jpg (109KB, 637x425px) Image search: [Google]
en_tam_ext_site_lt.jpg
109KB, 637x425px
>>883635

How do you define "far" from neighbors? There aren't many places in the lower 48 where you CAN'T get high speed internet. So the real question is just how remote you want to be.
>>
>>883638
>living in a freedom hating commie state
>>
>>884553
I don't want to be isolated, just want some privacy. I don't care if that means 0.5 acres with trees between neighbors or 50 acres. I wouldn't prefer a suburb neighborhood though. Something more along the lines of a house on some back road or rural route/road. And by "high speed" internet I mean something like 20Mbps, enough to stream Sling TV/Netflix and play video games.

I like Michigan but I love fishing for catfish in big rivers. Which is why I considered Kentucky. Looking for something near the Ohio River around Louisville. But I live in Virginia and tired of living around hostile Christian baby boomers. Would prefer to get away from the bible belt.
>>
>>883635
>Southwest Michigan

don't do it son
>>
>>883803
This. If you can tolerate the cold and the 8 months of snow don't inhibit your ability to do things you love to do, then go for it.

I moved from MN just this summer. While I miss the area, the lack of bugs and humidity and snow in Oregon combined with the Cascades helps.
>>
>>883635
Literally anywhere in the Canadian maritime region will get you this or even mid eastern Quebec. Vermont is also a good option.
>>
>>885904
There's bugs in MN? I live in the south and can't stand the mosquitoes and gnats in your face every second you're /out/. Was wanting to move to MN.
>>
>>885914
MN's state bird is a fucking mosquito\
fuckers are thick out there
>>
>>883635
South eastern ky dude here. Land is cheap. Houses in the woods sale dirt cheap, under 100 k for a lot of land and 3 bed room houses. Most everywhere is surrounded by strip jobs so you have all kinds of woods to go do as you please in, most the locals drink beer and ride atvs. Jobs are shit here thanks to epa and ohbummy tho.
>>
>>886404
I dated a girl from Kentucky once, and she made it sound like a pretty decent place to be. She said pretty much everything was pretty cheap down there.
>>
>>886404
>>886409

Southeastern Kentucky here as well. Your post is semi accurate.

Jobs haven't been here in 60 years or so. coal has been gone for numerous years. Nothing to do with obama or EPA.

The negatives he isn't telling you is that this area has a crippling pill addiction with meth running a close 2nd.

If you live too far off the beaten path, you can expect to be robbed at least once while you are working or gone. You can expect the first of the month to suck ass because over 50% of the area is on government assistance and shit up the stores at the first of the month.

You can also expect to deal with religious people everywhere you turn around. So that might annoy you.

Also nothing to do as far as going out to do something that doesn't involve the woods.

Also Kentucky has the slowest interstate speed in the country.

On top of that utilities are shit when it snows. Expect power outages ranging few hours during "flurries" to a week or so during a blizzard.

Any snow accumulation shuts down the county and town for at least a couple of days.

If you are buying any cleaning product or something that can be used to make meth, you have to show identification and have your name logged in a book at the store, who then gives it to the Sheriffs department.

I'm sure theres more, but thats off the top of my head.

By the way I'm in Corbin area and it's a little more advanced than other areas.
>>
>>886425
*internet speed
>>
>>886425
I can deal with the religious people.
And the drug addicts. My county in PA has a pretty hardcore opiate problem going on.
>>
>>886445
everywhere has a hardcore opiate problem

the difference is that opiate addicts generally only go out of their way to bother strangers while they're sober and looking for more drugs

methheads just bother everybody all the time
>>
>>886425
So scratch KY off the list. That sounds like hell. Are the religious people sane Christians or muh NRA kill all Mudslime believe Islam is a country Christians?
>>
>>886485
No they are not sane whatsoever.

It's a heavy Baptist area with more churches per square mile than any state in the US.

Also, an out related thing I forgot. If you go fishing, don't eat the fish from the rivers. A lot of people out in the country run their sewage line into the river.
>>
>>884086
northern kentucky has fiber from cincinnati
>>
>>886526
Even the Ohio River?

I can't stand Christians. I'd rather live around a bunch of Muslims than Bible thumpers. At least they got the humility to leave you alone.
>>
>>888888
>>
File: log driver.jpg (352KB, 648x1000px) Image search: [Google]
log driver.jpg
352KB, 648x1000px
Maine
>>
>>883635
I know a place called big bay in michigan. Might suit you. it's near marquette which is a college town and on occasion you'll get college girls coming up. It's on lake superior on the east and forests on the east. Tell the folks at the lumberjack tavern I sent you.
>>
>>886906
>At least they got the humility to leave you alone

Until the second they have the slightest majority. Or, if in Europe where the citizenry doesn't have millions of guns, much sooner than that.
>>
How bad is West Virginia?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.