[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 12

File: casio reloj.jpg (75KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
casio reloj.jpg
75KB, 400x399px
I know that there's a lot of watches better than this one, but can't find other with compass in a $100-$150 dlls price. What do you think? Do we need a compass in watches or any G-Shock Series (as example) without compass are better?.
>>
If you up your budget to 180-200 you can get a decent pro trek. The 3000 has compass, thermometer, altimeter, barometer, sun rise and set data, and solar recharge.

If you are interested in survival being able to note presure changes is super nice. Also not having to mentally think about how long until sunset is nice when deciding on setting up camp and deciding on trails.
>>
>>882217
>and solar recharge.
This

If you're after a suvivalist, military, outdoors watch that won't fail, don't fall for the Farmin or Suunto Meme where those watches have a million cool features but will die on you in 2 weeks to 18 hours.

Go for something simpler that has your basics and compass capability, altimeter optional that stays working via Solar or Kinetic. Chances are it won't be too expensive either.
>>
Just get the Gshock 9400 gw-9400-1cr has all the compass shit and solar powered and it less than $200. Doesn't look too bad either.
>>
File: not_logical.jpg (201KB, 580x461px) Image search: [Google]
not_logical.jpg
201KB, 580x461px
>>882217
>>884175
Those gaudy fake screws tho.
>>
Honestly I wouldn't get one.. I came close but after reading the manual.. it even says that it is highly inaccurate. So whats the point?

SHTF, GPS will be shitcanned for months anyway.. get an old school compass for $8.
I learned how to use one in middle school.
>>
File: IMG_20161028_120811.jpg (2MB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161028_120811.jpg
2MB, 2304x4096px
>>882217
Seems fine, have them around five years still good battery and they survived several baths in salty Croatian seas.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>882217
Get one, the compass and thermo are dead on and the 200 wr is real.
>>884428
Odakle si? Ja sa kontinenta
>>
>>882217
Why?

Just carry a compass and get a Seiko 5 field watch.

Why do you need a thermometer. If its cold its cold its hot its hot.

You think Henry Thoreau wasted time thinking about exact temperatures at Walden?

Get an automatic watch, its the ultimate out watch because it never needs sunlight or new batteries.
>>
>>884765
"Hey, I know this thread is about a specific thing you're looking for, but here's why you're wrong and don't need it, just look at this iconic outdoorsman, he never needed it, therefore you're wrong for wanting it."

Literally, why are you in this thread
>>
Mil here. I can honestly say I only used my compass function on the protrek. Once it died off, I bought a timed Ironman and put a small bubble strap compass on the band. All I really need.
>>
>>884851
>Watches with compass like this one. Are they good
>Do we need a compass in watches or any G-Shock Series (as example) without compass are better?.

Yeah, why his he posting an opinion in a thread asking for opinions? That would be silly, wouldn't it?
>>
>>884851
Sorry. I just don't see how this watch is better than a regular watch and a compass. There is too much focus on the latest and greatest in technology. Sometimes the classic ways are the best. I'm not saying you don't need a watch and compass, just when you get more and more complicated there are more chances for things to go wrong.
>>
File: 1448483028241.jpg (878KB, 850x2458px) Image search: [Google]
1448483028241.jpg
878KB, 850x2458px
>>885243
This guy knows it. Seiko orange or black monster is also good beat to shit and back durable. The seiko 5 has the same movement I think, for way less so its a solid deal. Brunton compass to and your all set. works better then anything else for me

Also I am surprised no one has mentioned using an analog watch and viewing the hands in relation to the sun to tell wich way is south. Wtf is this shit. fuck pic relateds
>>
>>884888
MIL? As in military? Because mine is great, I 0d my rifle with the watch, altimeter is almost indispensable. Barometer is nice too

Doesn't even need to be accurate, I just need to know the general changes
>>
>>885373
What is happening in that double Carrick bend?
>>
>>884646
Slovakia. :)
>>
>>885506
Oh very nice. pozdrav iz hrvatske!
>>
>>885595
So to you.
Pozdravujem zo Slovenska !
>>
Do any of these compass watches come with an azimuth ring? How do they work without one tho?
>>
File: bullshit.jpg (67KB, 570x485px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.jpg
67KB, 570x485px
>>885243
>why carry one thing when you can carry TWO things?
>>
>>885373
compasses work in bad weather and at night. they also don't change directions depending on what hemisphere you're in
>>
>>886173
protrek comes with an azimuth ring, but you can also set a heading with a button press
>>
>>882357
+1
i have a Protrek PRW-3500-1CR
>solar recharge
>compass
>altimiter
>barometer
>thermometer
>atomic timekeeping
>water resistant to 200m
>mineral window (seriously one of my favorite parts)
>can pass as a going out to dinner watch imo
>>
>>887936

I'm struggling to decide between the 3000t and the 3500t. It seems they are pretty much the same except that the 3000 isn't as waterproof but is significantly smaller (and so is much more wearable in day-to-day life)

I'm leaning towards the 3000....
>>
>>888324
i wear the 3500 every day, but have grown accustomed to larger format watches. i don't feel like it gets in the way, and i work with my hands a lot. the only time i've had to take it off is if i'm reaching into a very small cavity (engine bays or behind a wall etc)
i do go scuba diving, which is why i opted for the 3500. if that's not part of your use case, go for the 3000
>>
>>888326

Yeah, I'll go with the 3000 then. I have a Suunto core and don't really want to go much bigger than that. Ty
>>
>>888356
NP dude, hope it works out for you
>>
>>882217
Casio ABC watches are all shit tier. They use 1990s technology, and the compass is only accurate for 30 seconds before it starts to wander. For $100-150, get a certified refurb Garmin Fenix 1 or Fenix 2. Not only does it have functioning trend graphs, but it has a real compass, flashlight, and gps.
>>
>>888418

I have a number of problems with the Fenix range. Chief of all is the battery life. What's the point of having GPS if using it will cause your battery to die in less than a day? What fucking use is a dead watch.

The fact that the Casio's can do the key ABC functions without ever needing charged is why people choose them.

Do Casio have a patent on that shit? Why don't Suunto, Fenix, etc, use solar/kinetic charging.
>>
>>888724
GPS is optional, no need to use it, not constantly at least. Battery life is 15 days in censor only mode. The amount of people that wont be near a USB plug once every 2 weeks is minimal. The trade off for better functionality in every other regard is worth it IMO.
>>
File: the-homer-inline4.jpg (126KB, 660x330px) Image search: [Google]
the-homer-inline4.jpg
126KB, 660x330px
>>888726

I'm not so sure, and that is the beauty of subjectivity.

I have a Core and though use the ABC functions all the time I have never wanted more from them - or had the need for extra smart-watch features - and my life has never been in a position of danger if accuracy was +/- 5-10%. The only thing I have wanted from my Core is to not have to worry about its battery life. Even if it is 1990s technology, I'll pay for a Casio PRW and wear it all the fucking time because it fixes a problem and provides me with the functions I need with an acceptable degree of accuracy without being overly complex.

How old are magnetic compasses again?
>>
>>888742
The core is completely different than the Casio ABC watches. It is functionally almost identical to the Fenix series, at least in regards to ABC functions, graphing etc. Although it doesn't have altitude lock like the Fenix. I simply don't see the point to an ABC watch without a dot matrix display or a graph scale. Certainly not for $300+, when there are other options that do what they do better, for less money.

Battery life simply isn't an issue for me. There is no time when I'm not around a USB outlet for 2+ weeks. It doesn't bother me that I have to plug it in for 30 minutes at a time twice a month, especially given it's functionality.
>>
>>888418
actually casio modernized the triple sensor in 2013. it's more accurate, smaller, and draws less power than the gen 2
>>
>>882217
I found that watch in high school (2010) after I saw it get run over in the marching band parking lot. I wore it for about a year until I broke the part where the band connects to the actual when my arm slipped though in between two bars when I was trying to do a muscle up. Fast foreward another year and I bought a new one (rubber band) when I graduated from Boot Camp at Parris Island and then bought another (green nylon) after I gave that one to my little brother. I still have the original one that I broke sitting in my car and its battery has never died or needed replacement, and the other two are still going strong. I have other watches that I'll wear because I've come to like the more sleek styles that fit under my sleeves easier, but I'll go and wear this one when I'm out in the field or when I'm hiking in Joshua Tree National Park. If you buy it I dont think you'll be disappointed knowing that its not solar or mechanical. Best of luck Anon
>>
>>884407
>old school compass for $8
a decent compass costs >100$
>>
File: casio-F_91W_1YEF-black-1.jpg (31KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
casio-F_91W_1YEF-black-1.jpg
31KB, 600x600px
>>882217
anyone who owns a watch other than pic-related does so because of a small dick.

multi tools are literal cancer. can do 200 things and not one of them properly
>>
File: 61ABQA+gt8S._SL1063_.jpg (101KB, 1063x786px) Image search: [Google]
61ABQA+gt8S._SL1063_.jpg
101KB, 1063x786px
>>889143
>multi tools are literal cancer. can do 200 things and not one of them properly
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.