[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a good USB flashlight , sick of buying batteries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

Looking for a good USB flashlight , sick of buying batteries and do not want to fuck with recharging stations. Just want to plug it into my cell phone charger and be done.
Whats the best?
>>
File: e20818_1.jpg (35KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
e20818_1.jpg
35KB, 800x800px
>>
I have that exact light, i also got the 18650 batteries and charger cradle with usb charger.
It was worth the $40 for two extra rechargeable 18650's

http://www.opticsplanet.com/streamlight-18650-battery-battery-only.html?_iv_code=SQ-CR-18650-22010
>>
>>881013

ever heard of NimH batteries?

How lazy are you?
>>
File: IMG_20160209_190053.jpg (856KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_190053.jpg
856KB, 2048x1536px
I like girls.
>>
tc 12
>>
I swear by the Black Diamond Revolt. You can usually get them on sale too for some reason, 35-45 US.
>>
Wouldn't an exposed electrical contact make the light less water resistant? Yeah I'm aware theres a rubber grommet covering the charging port, but grommets aren't waterproof.

Why not just take the battery out and charge it over night if you actually use your light daily? an 18650 lasts me a good month with lower lumen daily use.
>>
File: IMG_0562.jpg (225KB, 715x724px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0562.jpg
225KB, 715x724px
>>881350
Hmm...

I just learned about IPX ratings! That Black Diamond Revolt recharges with a USB cord, and that is IPX4. So I'm guessing with most of these devices you are straight to use them in the rain but wouldn't want to drop them in the lake.
>>
>>881356
I assume you could pack the connection with dielectric grease but then you get that shit on your charger and then in your phone. Even then its not very good.

I would still recommend getting an 18650 light, get 2-4 batteries, then rotate them out. I've never gone through a battery in under a week through personal and work use. Even then, they can be recharged in under 8 hours typically.
>>
File: IMG_20160608_131445.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160608_131445.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
I'm at two and will be getting 4 more.

Everything I want on need in an edc/camp light.
>>
Olight S20. It's a tank and the battery lasts forever.
>>
>>881458
Forgot to add, the charging port is covered by a collar that screws into the head of the light, which has two O rings in it. This is much much better than a rubber grommet. You can get it in 80/600 lumens and an strobe mode, or 10/80/900 and strobe. It fits really well in my pocket or hand, and has been battered against all sorts of things for a year with no ill effects. The only trouble I ever had with it was the low mode flickering and barely putting out light, which I fixed by taking the head off and cleaning off the PCB and battery spring with some alcohol.
>>
>>881060
>do not want to fuck with recharging stations
He's as lazy as you are dumb
>>
>>881556
So instead of taking a battery out and popping it into a charger, he'd rather not charge his phone and plug the light into that charger.

I understand wanting cross compatibility, but really its not any more convenient or better.
>>
File: 1477217662707.jpg (102KB, 674x869px) Image search: [Google]
1477217662707.jpg
102KB, 674x869px
>>881563
Who has just one micro usb charger?
I have them all over my house and vehicles.
They charge :
My phone
Headset
Multiple GPS units
Bluetoof speakers
tablet
kindle

Why not ad one more item to the list?
Would you not get annoyed if you had to take the batteries out of your IPad and charge them?
>>
>>881328
I've got one of these, it's pretty great. Rechargeable batteries don't last that long but you can use regular single use ones in a pinch which is nice.
>>
>>881597
I would be equally annoyed if I had to gather my light, phone, ipad, gps, headset, and dildo from half a dozen USB chargers around the house. I charge all my devices in one place, so having a battery charger plugged in next to my USB chargers isn't an inconvenience.
>>
I used an LD12 flashlight, it's small, powerful and uses 1 AA battery, I've spent 15$ on batteries in the last year and a half by only using these 2; https://www.usbcell.com/product/1
Keep one in my flashlight and one in my mouse. Capacity isn't amazing but you just plug the battery directly into any USB port and you're set. Dam convenient not having to use a cable/charger.
>>
>>881597
What the fu..... Context for this pic?
>>
I've got a nitecore mh20gt that is bloody brilliant
>>
>>882067
>brilliant
kek
>>
>>882121
Why isn't it?
>>
>>882131
In america, brilliant means bright and the word does not get used nearly as much here
>>
>>882144
How exactly is 1000 lumens and a beam range of over 350m not bright?
>>
>>882146
>>882146
never said it wasnt, just keked over the word brilliant being used to describe a flashlight.
>>
>>882151
Ah, I see. Pretty standard here in bongland.
>>
>>881927
Photoshop.
>>
>>882288
Nice tripdubs but not a chop.
He is also not grabbing her by the pussy though either , just chatting her up.
>>
File: ss (2016-10-24 at 09.07.09).jpg (135KB, 673x917px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-10-24 at 09.07.09).jpg
135KB, 673x917px
>>881013
Hi!, sorry to change the subject of the thread. But can someone help me identify is this is counterfeit?, the dude tries to sell it as a "Cree Ultrafire model W879" (with 2200 lumens) but I cant find this model, at first I thought it was a 878 but it looks different.

I ask him about the button and he said it was orange, so maybe its the real deal.
>>
>>882370
Ultrafire is number 1. chink shit brand.
Dont buy batteries or flashlights from them.
>>
>>882375
thanks for the advice
>>
>>882375
>Ultrafire
>Batteries
aka StartFire®.
>>
>>881597
Pic is a shoop, and not a good one. Look at his fingers.
>>
>>881058
dont buy anything from that website. i used to work there. no bueno.
just a big relseller, always cheaper elsewhere
>>
>>881627

I've been moving towards USB for everything for a while now. It's not just about charging from home (though that's super-convenient).

In the field (or while traveling), if you use micro USB for everything, then you don't need to have separate cables for every device, and the extra cables you do carry can be swapped out for one another as spares if one is lost/damaged.

You can get a battery pack and charge all your gear off it. Usually those only have USB ports. Some are rechargeable and some you put 1-2 AA batteries in for an emergency charge. Some people do solar, and again it's more efficient to charge the battery pack all day and then use the battery pack to top off your devices at night. Some compromise devices have solar but not enough-- but those are still useful since they have big batteries. You fully charge them before leaving on your trip and they have a few charge's worth of power, with the solar extending that time still further.

This replaces the old advice of trying to consolidate on AA-using devices only, and for many of the same reasons.

IMO the best flashlight has <10 lumen moonlight mode, 30-50 lumens for ordinary use, and 200+ lumens for intense use in nighttime. Most lights are regulated, these days, but avoid an incandescent or unregulated LED. More just burns power to little benefit unless you're doing something "tactical". I've never had a use for flash modes or other fancy stuff. CountyComm's light has a diffuser cap that lets you use their light as a lamp; the diffuser and a ring around the reflector are glow in the dark-- useful if you drop the flashlight or cap at night.

IMO charging ports need not be a threat to water resistance. You just have to have a design that puts the charger inside the light's body instead of under a rubber cap on the outside.
>>
File: IMG_0599.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0599.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>882702
>not needing a lightning cable
What pleb-tier cellular device are you on?

That shit is annoying though. It would be nice if they just used a micro USB like everybody else. I can't even use regular headphones anymore without an adapter. That is shitty in the car because I can't charge the phone while the aux cable is plugged in.
>>
>>882719
>2009 still buying icuck products
>>
>>882719

Yeah if you're in the apple ecosystem this is a problem. OTOH, if you're into apple there's not much you can do. Besides, you still get benefits from running everything except your iphone via microUSB. Just not quite as convenient. you can always use your usb/thunder cable for charging.

Or, get a cheap unlocked phone for /out/ and swap sims when you go camping. iPhones are crazy expensive and I'd be leery about bringing mine into an environment where it's likely to be damaged.
>>
>>882770
Lel, I break so many iPhones at work. I have a bad habit of hopping out of my truck with my phone on my lap.
>>
>>882702
Thats all well and good, but now USB devices are going toward type-C. So now half your devices will be micro, and the other half type C.
>>
>>882788
What the fuck is type c?
>>
>>882808
google it, its what all new cell phones are using because they handle more amps and can fast charge devices. Its basically a USB format of the lightning connector.
>>
>>882816
seems like a long way off
>>
>>881597
Mayne, I just got wall socket USB chargers installed, shit is cash
>>
>>884457
>all new cell phones are using USB type C
>long way off

I hear .webm files are at least a decade out as well.
>>
>>884492
i will start to think about them once they have 50% of the market.
Until then , who knows what can change or how long things will take.
I bet we will have self driving cars as a common thing first.
>>
>>881927

He took Trump's advice. Grab her by the pussy.
>>
I've ordered an MH10 - slim for pocket carry and micro USB chargable.

The MH20 looks even better, but the head doesn't look suitable for pocket carry.

I also looked at the Olight S30R, but it has a proprietary charging base and I wanted the ability to charge it from my portable USB charger. It would be a great light if that wasn't a requirement.
>>
File: 1452293681999.jpg (43KB, 570x587px) Image search: [Google]
1452293681999.jpg
43KB, 570x587px
>>885756
>>
>>886055
>MH20
I like the looks of that. not sure I need 1000 lumens though and actually would like a larger one with a bigger battery. Looking at some others from that company now.
>>
>>886131
You can put the 3600 mah with the mh20, ages of battery life. The listed run times are for 2600mah.
>>
>>886131
I have the MH20GT, it's a great light, so I would imagine the standard MH20 is also fantastic. Go for it, you won't regret it.
>>
>>882788
>USB type C
all you will need is this little dongle
>>
File: Looks-Legit.jpg (36KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
Looks-Legit.jpg
36KB, 600x360px
Now that these exist, why would anyone use anything else?
You would not buy a phone that ran on AAA batteries would you?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.