[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convince me that an axe is more useful than a large camp knife

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (64KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 480x480px
Convince me that an axe is more useful than a large camp knife

I've always used large knives for wood processing and have never tried an axe

I dont see how the axe is better, but i want to know from you anons.
>>
How?
If u like it better, u like it bettter

Go fuck yaself
>>
>>880220
Its not the matter that i like it better

Its the matter of i want the most optimal tool for outdoors use.
>>
>>880215
If we have to explain basic concepts like balance and leverage, then you're not here to learn about axes. You're here to declare your obsession with using a less-than-optimum tool for processing firewood.
>>
>>880215

I've got to agree with the other guys in this thread. If you've always used a knife any change, whether it's for the better or not will effect your performance negatively.

What exactly is it you're unsure of anyway?
>>
File: ka.jpg (10KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
ka.jpg
10KB, 355x355px
For anything shorter than two weeks my d2 kabar does all heavy wood processing.

If I go out long term I bring an axe
If I go out in sub freezing temps I bring an axe
If I hypothetically went out into the arizona desert I would not bring an axe.

Use some common sense OP.
>>
>>880215
> large knives gor processing wood

Confirmed has large knives.
Confirmed has not "processed" large wood.

Op fill your wood box all winter and come back to ask this bait.

Protip: you won't have to.
>>
>>880215
axe is a multitool knife is a knife
axe sucks at knife jobs and knife sucks at axe and hammer jobs.
>>
>>880234
pretty obvious the debate is about not homesteading but casual camping.

for casual camping you can usually process wood bare hand. if you want to live out there you gonna need saw and splitting maul and an axe.
>>
>>880224
The most optimal tool is what you like the most faggot. Take your elitism to Reddit if you're seeking validation in others.
>>
>>880283
> obvious == assuming

Ok.
>>
File: 1476458253208.jpg (362KB, 1181x1772px) Image search: [Google]
1476458253208.jpg
362KB, 1181x1772px
>>880215
>Convince me that an axe is more useful than a large camp knife

Axe does the job it is made for better than a large knife. What you cannot do with a knife, at all, is split knotted wood. It will break your large camp knife sooner or later, no matter what you say.

Also, what you should compare is a set of tools in a specific situation, not just a camp knife or an axe.

Need to make lots of firewood? Axe.

Need to make food? Normal knife.

Need to saw stuff? Folding saw.

Need to do a bit of everything but not very well? Camp knife.
>>
>>880299
only you seem to assume otherwise and getting upset like an irrate feminazi cunt.
>>
File: 20161021_191002.jpg (1MB, 1472x2936px) Image search: [Google]
20161021_191002.jpg
1MB, 1472x2936px
>>880303

>Also, what you should compare is a set of tools in a specific situation, not just a camp knife or an axe.

Here's my stuff, for example. From small multi-tools to an axe, there's all kinds to choose from to meet specific needs.

Absolutely no need to carry it all at once. Just carry enough to do what you have to do instead of trying to make it with a single item.
>>
>>880329
im form over function but thats a really pretty knife
>>
>>880357

Top --> down:

>Fiskars axe (perhaps X7, it's about 15 years old).
>Some generic gas lighter
>Bahco Laplander
>M95 ranger knife
>Mora Robust
>Leatherman Charge TTi
>Leatherman Skeletool
>>
>>880215
Well when you are chasing blondy through dark forest with maniac laughter, you will look silly with a knife.
>>
Why not both.
>>
>>880357
Discover Silky Saws
>Your Bacho is shit
>>
File: campaxe_4n6kj56n.jpg (131KB, 1718x930px) Image search: [Google]
campaxe_4n6kj56n.jpg
131KB, 1718x930px
>>880215
if you chop wood much with any knife, that tends to destroy it....

...but an axe is really too big for anything except for chopping down a BIG tree, and cutting off BIG limbs. And it's difficult to backpack with.

And most hatchets suck ass because they have a dinky 10 - 12 inch handle, that doesn't swing well.

If you can find one, buy a camp axe. This is a hatchet-weight head but mounted on an extra-long handle about 24" long. It is light enough (for a guy) to use one-handed well (unlike an axe!) but it is still long enough that you can get a decent swing with it.

Pic related, one example available in the USA.
>>
>>880215
>I've always used large knives for wood processing and have never tried an axe
Literally what
Is this anormal American thing?
The froe I can understand. But never havinggot used an axe. What the fuck son.
The axe is the simplest machine an the best for ACTUALLY getting wood. Baton nine to impress the girls at a party lol sure. But if you actually NEED wood there's nothing but the axe
>>
>>880672
no its not American at all. Americans are far more likely to have a cheap axe than a belt knife and large knives are extremely rare.
>>
>>880620
Or just buy a hatchet head and put a boys axe handle on it.
>>
>>880687
Seriously anon? Do US knife companies export all the oversized knives they make?
>>
Primitive technology doesnt bring an axe with him. You dont have to bring it unless you want to
>>
>>880777
Actual primitive life was built around the axe
>>
>>880777
that's kinda true but he only brings a camera no knife no lighter no backpack or canteen.
>>
>>880215
One of them is a designated chopping tool the other isn't, you choose.
I personally find an axe way more effective than a chopping knife. Thick machetes (like most of the condor stuff) are just as effective, but weigh a little bit more.
>>
>>880779
primitive tech is a god among men, we are mere campers
>>
>>880777
Literally one of the first things he does is build an axe.
>>
>>880816
which means you can too if you need one
>>
File: 20161016_091115.jpg (2MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161016_091115.jpg
2MB, 3984x2988px
Appropriate for the job whenever possible. Otherwise tools and people get hurt. Batoning wood is for emergencies imo.

To split 5-6" dia hardwood logs a knife just is not enough, Idc what size it is. It's going to get stuck and you'll get hurt backing it out or damage it with all the whacking from another log. You could process 10 logs with an axe in the time it takes 1 with a knife and a lot more safely.

Axes might seems excessive but most people badly underestimate the amount of firewood they need for 1 night, and the difference it makes to put in ths work finding hardwoods like maple and ash that are dry and the right size. It means not having your food and pots coated with pine soot/tar, or having sparks/embers flying at your sleeping bag at night. Being cold in the dark also sucks, so does having to gather twigs in the middle of the night or early morning.

So lots of good wood matters. An axe makes splitting the most efficient. You can find/haul more logs back, not end up spending forever picking up twigs or getting hurt batoning.
>>
>>880611

>Your Bacho is shit
>"I don't know what I'm talking about and I lack experience"
>>
>>880817

A very, very shitty axe.

Why would anyone want that?
>>
>>880611

Discover Boreal21
>Your Silky is shit
>>
>>880817
Well shit I guess you're right, I don't have to bring an axe. The only thing I HAVE to do is stay white and die.

On that note, you don't need shoes. You don't need to bring food, clothing, or anything really. Our ancestors got by without starting off with any of that stuff, you should be able to too.
>>
>>881040
we were born into this world with a silver platter

our ancestors were not

we need to recondition ourselves first
>>
>>880843
i think it raises your free test levels to make civilization with your own hands without sissy factory made tools.
>>
>>880233
>serrations
into the trash it goes.jpg
>>
>>880215

Better at cutting wood

Not as good at clearing brush
>>
>>881147

You'd be surprised what you come across /out/

There's some vines with thorns where I go that no knife can cut unless it has serrations
>>
File: IMG_20160120_160351.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160120_160351.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>880841
You are feeling hurt, but he is right!

>>880873
This may be true, but looks heavy compaired to Sven.
>>
>>880306
> getting upset

Now you are projecting your own anger.

Why?
>>
>>881327
i thought you gonna say not as good at cleaning fish.
that would have made sense.
>>
>>881519

Hatchets suck at cutting brush from your path simply because of the top heaviness and small cutting surface

A large camp knife is a lot better at hacking brush, weeds and small branches
>>
>>881534
i don't remember any time i was whacking at bushes while hiking anon. i once got out of the car to clear some tough brush so it doesn't scratch the paintjob but i was with a fucking car you know... not on foot.
>>
I have a ~6lb machete that cuts through trees in >5 minutes. Might grab a folding saw, gf has backup hatchet. Don't see the need to lug around an axe.
>>
>>881657
6lb is near the weight of your average axe, let alone hatchet.
>>
>>881657
>6 pound machete

what in gods fucking name do you have
>>
>>881657
You retarded.

Either you have no concept of weight, or you managed to find the shittiest machete on earth and carry it /out/ thinking it's good.

Cold Steel's two-handed greatsword weighs just under 7lbs, and it's significantly heavier than historical examples. And it's a TWO HANDED GREATSWORD.
>>
>>880715
No, they sell them to people that keep them in glass cases and people that do YouTube torture tests. Usually involving shit that you will never do to a knife and hacking up living trees for no reason.
>>
>>881065
>our ancestors were not
Nope they we're just born with thumbs and fuck huge brains which immediately put them way above every other animal.
>>
>>881657
No, you have a sharpened propeller
>>
>>881582

Depends on where you live

Vines, creepers and weeds (lantana) are common where I go, and the are often off the beaten path
>>
>>881065
>>881914
I have to agree with the latter anon.

Humans have been the unquestioned masters of the universe since we sharpened sticks. That's quite a long time ago.
>>
>>881864
I really can't estimate weight for shit other than "about 40" or "about 80"lbs. You got me. Now I'm curious.

Apparently it is 1.8lbs. Wew lad you're right I'm retarded.
>>
yeah why the FUCK would you want to talk about axes and knives on the outdoors sections of a Cambodian puppet show board? I swear people on the internet just lash out at each other because they are sadmen
>>
>>880215
I don't fucking get why you fucks don't bring an axe when going out? Do you burn twigs?? Do you live in a desert?
I live in Finland and when things get wet and cold here, the only way to get good firewood is to chop up a windfall of at least 15cm in diameter, I want to see you try to do that with your cool tactical knife you faggots. When I go out I often bring a splitting maul/axe mix made by fiskars
>>
>>880611

Oh great it's this argument again.
>>
>>881864
>And it's a TWO HANDED GREATSWORD

How good is that for processing firewood?
>>
>>881065

Your ancestors started with considerable advantages, which they got from their parents. A stone knife, a stone axe, leather/fur clothing.

Your closest ancestors who started with NOTHING were still apes. Humanity evolved alongside tools, we didn't just pop into some final form and then start from scratch.

>>880672
>>880687
>>880715

America's a very big place, and it's silly to draw generalizations. Some /out/doorsmen are people who primarily focus on living and working in the woods. Some are veterans or /k/omrades who came into the hobby focused on wilderness survival in emergency/wartime situations. And some are urban/suburban leave no trace types who entered via environmentalism and an appreciation for nature (but consider their daily lives separate from it).

Each group has its own gear preferences. The /k/ types like a big beefy combat knife, especially the ones with no actual real military experience. The hippies tend to go backpacking in national forests where they mostly can't/won't use an axe anyway.

So different loadouts are common among different cultures of America.

If you don't know what you're doing, it's worse to have an axe than not. The risk of injury is too great and for casual trips you can make up for the lack. So I suggest if OP wants to try axes that he go out with someone who knows how to properly use an axe. Bonus: he can see for himself if it's really worth it.
>>
>>880303
Literally the only sensible answer in this thread.
>>
>>882668
It's not. I was comparing weight. Catch up.
>>
>>880226
this, big knife guy here, there is a reason lumberjacks use axes not sword sized knives for cutting down trees, they are just better for the job.
>>
>>881446

Yes it's about 200 grams heavier but the design is MUCH more functional
>>
File: IMG_20160121_134321.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160121_134321.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>883275
K.

Made my Amazon gear list this morning.

Thx!
>>
>>882703

Sorry, they don't have sarcasm on Betelgeuse, so I suppose I'll have to ask serious questions like that somewhere else.
>>
>>883300
> $65usd + $55usd for leather sheath
> not available thru Amazon

Just saved myself $65USD.
>>
>>882668
it's better for clearing bush
>>
>>881657
Pic of that machete
>>
>>883797

THIS
>>
>>880215

>WOODSMAN'S PAL

/thread
>>
>>883797
3kg machete? kek. i second this request. truth to be told it would be too heavy for a sword.
>>
>>883844
Haha. No
>>
>>880215
Read the book Hatchet.
>>
>>883984
ive read every single hatchet book
>>
>>880215
Do you want to....
>woodcraft
>make firewood for a group of people
>stay out for a long while
>cut large chunks of meat
>convince savages to fuck off
Get a hatchet or a small hunting axe. If you are in a group then one axe for the group is enough.

Or do you want to...
>cut firewood for yourself in a warm time of the year
>stay out for a short time
Use a knife that can be used for batoning
>>
>>884247
i read a few but it was pretty meh
>>
File: chainsaw.jpg (51KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
chainsaw.jpg
51KB, 564x423px
>>883275
triangle saws are shit compared to full framed saws, but chain bucksaw shits all over every one of them.
>>
>>880224

This is the same variety of spergers that haunts /g/. There is no one optimal tool for every situation, so you'll either have to carry every single tool all the time or make peace with something that is a good all-rounder, but may not always be the best.

Fuck "optimal", if you're in the middle of the bush and you've got a certain tool it either works well enough or it doesn't.
>>
>>881329

...learn to sharpen your tools.

notsureifidiot.jpg
>>
axe is heavier but more reliable, if you are deep innawoods and you are depending on fire for food or critical warmth and you crack your muhreenz knife while batonning you're fucked
>>
>>880215
This is like asking if a hammer is better than a screwdriver.
>>
Using a knife for serious wood processing is like using a wooden spoon to row a boat. You can, but you'd have to be an asshole.
>>
>>880299

I've easily made plenty fire's in the rainy season of WA. Doing so with out an axe or knife. Not hard to do at all

Have some common sense OP, just take what ever you want.
>>
It just is. An axe, even a hatchet, trumps a knife all day, every day.
>>
>>884653
>confirmed for not ever using a chain bucksaw

funny how a chainsaw blade is designed to work on a chainsaw huh.
>>
>>886085
it works just fine, maybe you are doing something wrong. also i'm not bothered in the slightest that it only cuts on the pull.
>>
>>885220
>This is the same variety of spergers that haunts 4chan general
ftfy
>>
>>880215
Quicker and easier to use (split in one stroke instead of 10) because of it'a larger width and the foot+ of leverage behind the blade.

Most importantly it allows you to carry a thinner knife made out of a harder steel that retains a better edge. Hard steels will crack if abused like in battoning. So you can carry a knife that does tasks like skinning or filleting fish much better.
>>
well lets sum it all up
+good for splitting wood, cutting down trees, making pikes ect
+doubles as a hammer
+good weapon if you're /nofunz/
-heavy
-takes a lot of space
>>
>>886277
>takes a lot of space
I've got mine strapped to the outside of my pack, so I'd argue that it takes the equivalent of no space at all. Estwing EBDBA for the win. One blade for chopping, the other for splitting. I think it weighs 38oz, just barely over a kg.
>>
>>886399
fiskers x7 is 600g and can chop and cut with the same blade and you can actually do some light hammering with the back. they say in these pictographs not to hit it but i guess it means not to hit it with a hammer or maul.
>>
>>886430
Don't get me wrong, I *could* chop and split with the same blade; I profiled each edge for convenience, thus dividing the workload and doubling the time between required sharpening.
>>
>>880215
Are we talking about yardwork or tool for hiking? Because if you're chopping whole winter's firewood good luck doing it with a knife.
>>
>>886441
i can see the practicality in that but i never liked double bits. doesn't feel safe and also like to tell where the edge is pointing by feel in my hand. balanced blades are not good in this regard.
>>
>>881864
>>running around innawoods with a greatsword
>>i need to wack bushes, i can split wood and i can kill a bear
>>and a knight
>>come at me bruh
>>muh ultimate survival tool
>>
File: 1454885172686.gif (607KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
1454885172686.gif
607KB, 800x792px
>>886497
>not packing a 1000x folded carbon nanotube katana with a sawed-off goretex hilt weighing in at only 800g

LMFAO GTFO TRADFAG
>>
>>886497
Dragons are no joke, bruh.
>>
>>886430
>fiskers
>fiskars
Ftfy
Either way, nope.jpg nope no no no.
>>
question,

for axes is there really a different in quality between composite handles or wooden handles?
>>
>>886589
yes. #1 personal comfort. #2 repair-ability.
>>
>>886589
Wood is better at dissipating shock, so the user doesn't wear out as quickly.

Fiberglass composite is better if you have zero capacity to care for your axe (ie: the occasional application of oil to the handle) or the axe will be stored outside for long periods.

The latter also sucks supremely if you ever need to rehang the head. It's a bitch getting the fiberglass core out of the eye.
>>
>>882700
I'm sorry you're so retarded that basic concepts like this need to be broken down for you.
>>
>>886588
i just like to call it fiskers suck my dick if you don't like it
>>
>>886591
>number of times your average guy made an axe handle in the woods: 0.00000000000000001
>>
>>886589
there is, faggots insist on wooden handle for the outlandish reason if the composite breaks they think they can't replace it...

however depending on the break improvising a handle for a composite axe is easy as pie. you either shove the wooden stick into the hollow stub and fix it with some rope/duckt tape and also wedge it in nicely, or you take the head out and split the handle and wedge it in like a klaxon (or stone axe). use leather cloth or rope to bind it into place.
>>
>>887068
anon didn't say repairing in the woods
>>
>>887358
if not in the woods than a cheaper axe you buy an other one of in case a one in a million break happens is a perfectly fine solution.

nah these fags really rant about how they could not replace handle on the spot if it broke on them in their bug out scenario. so they have to buy a $300 axe cause of reasons.
>>
>>880873
Not even once.

I carry a silky at work. The teeth are the greatest in the world.
I wouldn't use a bow saw if I had any choice. Lookit those teeth... what state are you in? If you're close I'll let you check out my sugowaza and see what you think.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.