[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a basic size fishing rod for both peir and shore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

What's a basic size fishing rod for both peir and shore fishing? And does the rod have to be specifically for salt water?
>>
>>879089
If you get a freshwater reel and fish salt with it, make sure you clean it really well afterwards because the saltwater will rape the bearings.

It's kinda hard to do all-in-one, depends what you will get off the pier. A 7' MH rod with a 3000-4000 size reel should work but you will be limited to bass and catfish in freshwater and it should handle decent sized stuff off the pier. You aren't going to be casting any panfish lures very well with it.

I guess another option would be to get two spools for the reel so you could run 6lb or 8lb line for freshwater (you will have like 200yds+ tho) and then put heavier line for the pier on the second spool.
>>
It depends, what are you trying to catch?
>>
>>879089
Does it really matter what kind of rod I'm using if I'm just doing it hoping to only catch one fish all day

Is it bad I really enjoy casting more than anything?
>>
>>879089
:/

i live on a little island and do a lot of sea fishing.

I've been out with guys who have £1000 in a rod and reel, and guys who have £25.

Unless you have a multiplier reel and are wanting to hit 200m+ casts pretty much any rod capable of 100g casting weight will do. I've seen guys with 4.2m rods getting 70m casts, but guys with 2.4 mg only getting slightly less- I can get a good 50m+ using a Cuban YoYo. 70m seems to be about as far as most recreational anglers with fixed spool reels seem to be able to hit without someone teaching them what to do and a fair bit of practice with a 100g weight.

a 5000 series reel should be fine, you'll get close to 250m of most 9kg mono on there, way more than you'll ever need really, you'll be able to cast from the beach into the surf nicely. sea fishing, you tend to go for the heavier mono no because you're catching big fish, but for the better abrasion resistance and wear ( over barnacles, rocks, weed and stones ect)

3.6m rod casting weight between 100-150g, 5000 series reel with 9kg mono. but some 150g weights to just drop off a pier and some 100g 'grip weights' for casting from a sandy beach into surf. size 2/0 wire hooks will catch just about anything from flat wish, pollack ect though it is sensible to have some bigger, heavier hooks just in case (I keep some 4/0 o'shaughnessy hooks in my pocket too for huss or strap conger)

learn to tie an improved clinch knot and a dropper loop knot

for casual fishing it'll cover you in 95% of circumstances- remember fish don't care if you have £1000 rod, they only ever see the hook! Expensive gear is mainly there to catch people and make them part with money
>>
8'6" to 9' minimum for surf fishing. The longer the rod the further you can cast out. I've never heard of saltwater rods. Do you mean reels? Saltwater reals are made of more durable components that can withstand the salt and erosion.
>>
>>879140
he will have to make a compromise
>>
Op here. I was told there was a difference between fresh and salt water rods IFK what though I'm new at fishing :/ reels another thing. That I know
>>
>>879089
if youre surf fishing you want something like a 12 foot rod but if your juts talking about flicking something in off a pier any rod will do, as long is its not a super small and cheap kmart special
>>
>>879089
It really depends on what you're fishing for. I loved plugging for spanish and blues in NC, so I have a one piece graphite shimano that's 6'6" with 8 lb line on a quantum response 2000. I used 30lb, and later 50lb leader because I was still getting bit off on 30lb. I also have a medium action ugly stick for bottom fishing with 20lb line and the shakespeare reel that came on it.
>>
>>879283
>12 foot

Why? You don't even need a rod to fish in any location. You can literally just use a spool. If you must cast a long long ways, use a bait cannon.
>>
>>879621
This. There's a guy on YouTube who catches HUGE black tip sharks with just a line hook and hand spool
>>
>>879621
If you're fishing off the bottom, sure. If you want to work any sort of lure you'll need a rod. I also prefer the leverage the rod offers when trying to drag a tired fish in.
>>
>>879134
This guy just red pilled beach fishing.

I'd maybe go for slightly bigger weights personally, but like he said this tackle set you will cover 95% of recreational (ie non competitive) fishing you might want to do.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.