[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for some advice from some experienced archers. Recentry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Snapchat-192206503.jpg (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-192206503.jpg
2MB, 1440x2560px
Looking for some advice from some experienced archers.

Recentry got Into archery and started to really enjoy it. I've quickly acquired a respectful understanding for the mechanics at play with compound bows and have learned how to properly use them. I recently picked up a used Bowtech Assassin that has a few component upgrades, (ie string, silencers, actually functioning stabilizer), however the arrows sold with it are certainly not properly rated for my gear. My bow is currently set to its max 70 lb draw and I've adjusted my draw length to my size, 28.5". The arrows that the seller provided are predator 30/50 carbon arrows. They're nice and all, and fit the length of my draw but with little research clearly are only intended on bows with a draw strength between 30 and 50 lbs.

This brings me to the point. I want to get some replacement arrows. I live in Canada and near a Bass Pro so I'll likely shop for some there. Although a novice I like to do my own research in advance and then challenge it with the advice of more experienced individuals, so I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that this would work.

I am going to be doing primarily target shooting (for now) and won't bother with fully designated hunting arrows for a while, but wouldn't mind getting a set that I could use for both, and just swap from 100gr field tips to 100gr broadheads to have the same weighted firing qualities. I've read that for target shooting one ideally wants between 5-6 grain per lb of draw when it comes to arrow weight for firing at targets, and 6-8 grain per lb when hunting. As a compromise I am looking for a 6.5 grain per lb arrow that I could use on both platforms.
At 70 lb draw that would be a 455 grain arrow, total weight including 100 grain tip. That meaning an arrow weighing 355 grain before adding tip. I also consulted some charts suggesting an arrow spine of .330 -.370.

Does my assumption seem correct? Will I be using the right arrows if I follow this platform?
>Cont'd
>>
Also I'd like to know what arrows specifically some experienced users would suggest given my setup. I appreciate any constructive input, just trying to learn more.

Pic related, that's it. Note I only fired a few of those 30/50 arrows before realizing they were not ideal for the bow. No, they did not cause any Bow damage doing so.
>>
>>877754
you should have the same arrow weight and spine on both platforms to train for hunting;
also at least one broadhead for training and tuning purposes

a too low grain per pound value can damage your bow because the lighter the arrow, the more energy will go into the limbs

do you know the minimum GPP for your bow?
>>
I do not as I purchased it used and the digital manual available online does not offer this information.
>>
there is a general rule by bow manufacturers to not shoot under 5 grain per pound

i'd go towards the 8 gpp but i don't know anything about compound

in general:
light arrow: faster, noisier, flatter flight
heavy arrow: slower, quieter, less flat flight, more momentum

better lurk on some bow hunting forums
>>
>>877754

You want an arrow cut to 29", probably either a 300 or 340 spine depending on point weight.

Light arrows for target sounds off. Target means shooting known distance, meaning speed takes a back seat to stability and the ability to cut through wind. 3D and field, where you're shooting unmarked distance are where speed becomes a priority.

Either way, you don't really want or need separate hunting and target arrows for a single bow given you'll need to tune for whatever arrows you're shooting. Ballpark 450 grains is a good weight though, gets you to around 275fps with plenty of momentum.

A Gold Tip Hunter 300 cut to 29" with blazer vanes, a stock accu-lite insert + a 20 grain screw in weight and a 125 grain point pretty much does you I reckon. Should be 455-460 grains with glue all up.
>>
>>878173

The extra point weight lends itself to more stable flight and better penetration. Also, you'll have no problems finding 125 grain broadheads.
>>
if you can find a local archery shop you would be in good hands. Most of the people at bass pro don't know shit about archery equipment.
>>
I'll add to the other anons good info listed by mentioning that when bunting, choose the correct arrow head.
I'm assuming that op was thinking of large mammals, but its better to shoot turkey and small mammals with specialized heads.
Even with large game, there are heads designed for penetration and others designed to bleed out the target.

And you can always get a hopper or reel and do some fishing.
I know you don't have gator up there, but down here you can't use a firearm (except to dispatch it after its caught) so your choices are snares or bows.
>>
I gotta kickass deal through Dick's Sporting Goods for some Victory arrows, I shoot at 70 lbs as well and got 18 300 spined arrows with Blazer Vanes for around 70$ or so.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.