[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /out/, the area I live in doesn't have any hills,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: nebraska-plains.jpg (83KB, 882x470px) Image search: [Google]
nebraska-plains.jpg
83KB, 882x470px
Hello /out/, the area I live in doesn't have any hills, but I want to get into hiking. On top of this, I'm not very in shape. Advice for a beginner? Footwear, packing? Should I try to get more in shape before I go /out/?
>>
My best advice is to get out of any shithole of a state without any good forest, hills, or deserts to hike in. Search around on google to see if you can find anything about wildlife management areas, state forests, national forests, etc for your state. Regarding equipment and getting fit and the like, that's not needed unless you are planning on camping. If the area has a solid trail to stay on and you are going for a day hike, you can get by if you need to in a solid pair of tennis shoes as long as you know you can go for ~6 miles. Please do not try to go hiking in crocs, flip flops, sneakers, or other shitty footwear. Bring a backpack with more water than you think you ever will need, then add another bottle. Hiking thirsty is fucking terrible and can be dangerous if you are hiking in a desert or on a mountain. If you are going for a short hike, food is not too important. A bag of assorted nuts will keep you going.

That will about do you for some basic hiking. The biggest thing for beginners is to stay on established trails and don't try to push it too much, if you are not in great shape go on a ~5-6 mile hike and see how you handle it.
>>
>>877399
solid advice

start with some cheap walking/hiking boots
take it easy, enjoy the view
>>
>>877354
First of all - stop eating so much. Maybe get into weight lifting or at least body weight exercises while you lose weight.

After that you can get into running. Run in minimalist footwear like huaraches or you will fuck your shit up. If you start running while being a fat piece of shit you will fuck your shit up anyway.

Running around Nebraska will at least get you a runners high even though you won't see anything even remotely interesting. We evolved to be persistence hunters and it is in our DNA to be lean mean running machines.
>>
>>877399
Noob question. What exactly is the problem with sneakers? I've walked 300ish km this summer with them. Comfy.
>>
merrell boots and plenty of water
>>
>>877429
They're the best for small trecks, longer distances with loads are better supported by heavier duty footwear. That being said, I've had plenty of good backpacking with sneakers when I forgot my boots. My feet just hurt more than they needed to
>>
>>877354

As someone who's also trying to get in shape by hiking, best advice I can offer is just to get /out/ there and start walking. I'm hiking 10-15 mile trails every weekend and a few 5-8 mile walks three times a week after work. If you correct your diet while getting active this way, the weight just sheds off like a hot knife through butter.

The first few trails kicked my ass, but as you go along your body adjusts. Just take it methodical as you begin and build up your distance over time. You probably want to start out with just a few essentials: good pair of boots with padded inserts, good pair of padded socks, and a small day pack for snacks and fluids. Wear light and breathable clothes if the weather allows as it will help you move around and not feel so weighed down. Only real thing to do after that is get out there are start walking.

If interested, look into getting a tracking device like a FitBit. Gives you a great idea of steps, distance, calories burned, heart rate, etc. The phone app is also great for tracking your diet with their built-in catalog of foods, barcode scanning for easy entry, and custom in-puts for those home made meals. Great way to track progress if that's a motivating factor for you.
>>
>>877354
no joke, if you live somewhere like that, learn to ride a horse and maybe watch a movie about Genghis Khan to get you in the mood
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.